Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Only the most handsome of us are allowed pics i'm told Ric. :)

Had a nice little sortie down the track.

6x800 off 90secs, 2x400 off 1min, 2x200 off 30secs

2.37  (actually 2.36.99 so it came up 2.36 but let's be real!)

(av 2.37)

Didn't intend for them to quicken like that, better than fading away!

4 due at lunch, jack all tomorrow, prob 13 Sunday, which'd give a 68.5mile week, highest for yonks. May sneak the 13 up, we'll see.
  • I must admit Pete, I do like the fact that it goes to the last post instead of the first!

Good fat burning Ric. I need to get on the no chocolate thing I did for a bit of November..

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Simon, you could always set that on the old one!!
  • What I like about the new forum (the only thing) is that it doesn't randomly un-bookmark threads you are following and then sneakily turn your e-mail notifications back on when you re-follow them. Otherwise it's shit.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    As long as at some stage they link this forum back into the actual website address, or move that to a new address. Not this rubbish half in half out. 

At work this site is fine off a shortcut, at home it's a nightmare as every single time you sign in, change page etc, you get a message abotu site security. Haven';t quite worked out how to take it off, from 5mins of trying.

4 at lunch, hinting at some light snow ahead. Hopefully that bores off.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

Taken the annoying message off.

Now, is anyone going to talk about some actual running again,?

• Apparently we can now earn badges and have leaderboards on the side? I guess i'ts trying to be like other sidtes and mix in the likes of Strava.. In which I feel silly telling everyone what I have done today when they have all clearly seen it allready :) 

One for SC though - Poole parkrun on the 18th. Intel shows fast Soton AC boys heading down there 
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Have I got a picture?
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Yes! SG was right about the handsome ones.

Will this forum be able to cope with a SG race report in one post I wonder?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Course not son. The other one kept me to 3 usually.

Unless I do a 200 or 400metres race. But parking scenarios, where to curl one out beforehand, or other key info would quickly fill the gap. I'd bet my small town running face legend status on it.

Will have to get some races on the agenda. Will start once the big transfer has gone through, which I hope is March 1st, and that the admin bods don't push it back to April 1st.I have paid a "cool" 10 clams, and sent my agent In to sort the legal business about releases and ting.

• SG, you do know that once you apply to change a club and fill in the form, it is all posted online. Cut off date is 10th of the month and soon afterwards they will be up for all to see, so not much of a window left for a big reveal.

http://www.englandathletics.org/england-athletics/athlete-registration#Movingclubs
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

From the Jan file, it looks like they'll only produce the Feb "Interested parties" file on...1st March

• SG, you do realize that 
    the England Athletics registration year runs April 1st to March 31st so you may have to pay for 2016-2017 if you join before April? No doubt your agent will be able to negotiate on this as England Athletics will be keen to sign you up. I also trust that the agent will have already written into the contract appropriate arrangements should you wish to move to a club of higher standing, as well as suitable refreshments in your dressing room, etc.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

The trick is to join a club who sort all those minor technicalities out for you old son.

Probably!

We don't want any glitches stopping me from racing the " Backwater C&B 7.3km" for the local Cubs team do we!

• I would "like" your post, SG, but unfortunately you missed the question mark at the end of your sentence, substituting an exclamation mark instead. i must say i woz suprised.

You at the Watford match, with a parkrun on the way, of course?
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Have timed tomorrow to be my rest day of the week Aley.

Most likely no footy journey tomorrow, even Wycombe's short trip to Stevenage isn't floating my interest this week.

I'm tempted to sleep really late in, and watch a few Premier games instead.

There is a game mid March on a 12.30 Sat kick off that would suit a parkrun, but I think my parkrun desire has eased now the real races are back on the agenda.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

This change of club business is something I need to sort out.
    My first claim is Harrow but didn't pay the subs last year, and haven't had any notification this year at all.
    If the club ditched last years subs I might pay this time. Though it's not as if I do anything with them anymore.
    My second claim club might get a call, but the main issue is the EA registration.
    Does it matter?
    I've only one race booked and I did that as my second claim club and paid the unattached sur charge.

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Why the silly face? 
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    No idea about the silly face. I have no permission to change it, apparently.
    Training wise this morning was 12 miles at easy pace, followed by around an hour on the indoor bike.

🙂

• MORNING ALL, MY WIFE IS DOING WOKINGHAM HM TODAY OFF A WEEKLY MILEAGE OF ABOUT 2-3 MILES AND A LONG RUN OF 5 MILES. SHOULD BE INTERESTING. I LOVE THIS NEW FONT.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

HOPE SHE DOES OK

🙂

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Thought I'd nip in before all the talk moves onto Wokingham. Decided to properly get back into racing this weekend with one of my classic 5k/10k doubles (since Dachs' was missing them!).

Yesterday was Crane pr where I had targeted a relatively soft age group course record a couple of weeks back and just missed it. Ran pretty much the same race today with another rubbish 4th k of 4 mins putting the time in doubt; knuckled down harder this time to finish as I started with a 3'42 to come in 19'02 which was good enough to knock 5 seconds off the previous age group best. Should really be under 19 on that fast course but still fairly early days after injury I suppose. 

So onto Chessington today for 26.2 road runners Valentines 10k. Never done this one before even though it has a very good reputation as I usually do Woky. Had very much a club runners feel, but enhanced by the presence of an Olympian in Scott Overall. He proceeded to wipe the floor with the filed finishing in just over 30 mins. I set off with a mixture of Ks from 3'39 to just over 4 to hit 19 at half way on what felt like a surprisingly undulating course. The 2nd half of the race felt tougher as my endurance is currently low with hardly any longer runs in recent months. Dug in though and only passed by 1 guy and kept the k's in the 3'50's with a faster last one to get home in 38'42ish (results not out yet). No v50 prize though as they only gave 1st and some guy did 37'xx. Waste of time hanging around for that then but overall a pleasing outing, though I'm quite a bit down on my 10k times of last summer/autumn.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Reg that's the sort of font I could comfortably apply the "block" button on someone for if used regularly

ps is it just me that doesn't seem to be able to apply a "smiley" AFTER a line of text as it comes out at the start? Only way round it seems to be to manually add it with the commas etc , which is a hassle, having to add it at the start of the paragraph and then replicate it, then delete the original..grr, or greater than colon close bracket!  >:)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

Sounds a decent return to a double header Pete. Sometimes you just need to get back into the swing of things, and that looks to fit the bill, with a record thrown in for the former.

Got to love a long hang around for no reason! My best as about 90mins, after coming 2nd in a 10k. They waited until a load of the half marathon lot were back, then proceeded to go through all manner of pathetically bootleg prizes, and there was not even a mention for 2nd in the 10k, even though the winner got a huge trophy and £50!!

13.5miles for me, which is the longest one for ages, and brings up a 69mile week, which beats 2 week's ago 66.5 which was already the longest for about 10months!

Might have done more, but instead settled for that, as I did a 2mile stretch out of Marlow towards the Harvester junction of Wycombe, which is plenty hard enough 9 miles into a run!

Felt good, 6.55 pace.

Club move will go through 1st March, (I picked a good time to sort things, a day or 2 before a monthly deadline of the 10th, and in the shortest month!)

For starters, I fancy an Ealing mile and probably the LFOTM one...

I know Aley is in for the latter, Phil/anyone in for the former?

ps some huge displays today, so i'll bore off now and let the main man/men take over

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Sounds like that might be a cue for me...

Yes, today was the Wokingham Half Marathon, a race which has previously yielded a PB three of the four times I've run it. I've been targeting this, and that's what all those 90m weeks were about. Haven't posted much of the detail of that training over the last 2-3 months, because I'm conscious that I'm earning a reputation as a training hero who doesn't deliver in races. However, some excellent long tempos of 10-12 miles at 5:35-5:38 pace gave me a ton of confidence, plus a solo 10k tempo in 32:55 (!) on the track a couple of weeks ago. All the indications were that on a really good day, I might be able to give 70 minutes a scare.

So the plan was to just go for it at sub 70 pace (5:19s) and see what happens. Thought it might be a stretch, but to not have a go would just be cowardice. And, of all the motivation s that drive me, the desire to not appear a pussy on this thread is the strongest of all.

Bloody freezing today, and a bit of a wind - not the awful crappy wind of last year, but a stiff and insistent one, if the combination of those two adjectives doesn't conjure up too appalling a mental image.

Lining up, it doesn't look like there's the usual swarm of fast boys at the front.  Then a thought strikes - maybe I am one of the fast boys now? Buoyed by this realisation, I stand on the start line, and as the race begins, lead the chasing group behind three who have shared off ahead. Another local runner has suggested working together, and this seems a smart move, and we are through the first mile in 5:18.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    We pause for breath.

🙂

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    There is still a big old group there, and I let them take the brunt of the wind, but the guy I'm running with notes the drop in pace, and suggests we have to forge on. We cut through the group on the inside and push on, but lots of them follow, and that mile is a slower 5:23. This makes me jumpy, and I up the pace to try to keep on schedule, but I overcook it with a 5:09, which my fellow conspirator has not followed. Oops. Still, there's a good group with me still, so onwards and upwards. Well, it's flat, so not upwards, but you know what I mean. Mile 4 is straight into the wind, but a decent pace still with 5:20.

I've had thoughts of trying to hit 10k in under 33, so decide not to let the pace drop however tough it feels until at least halfway. Mile 5 is 5:15 and 6 is 5:17, and we go through the 10k point in a mighty 32:46. Third fastest 10k ever. This is either a great run, or a massive error. Let's see.

Group is now down to five - me, James B from Woodstock, a new clubmates, an AFD guy and a Victoria Park chap. At least I think it's 5, I suppose there could be a cheeky ratbag coasting at the back without ever taking the lead.

Mile 7 is once again 5:17, and I can allow myself to dream. Lots of support pushes me on and mile 8 is 5:20. It's at this point though that fatigue really starts to take hold. The AFD guy checks his watch and then just speeds off the front of the group to run down the Serpie in 3rd about 50m ahead. Guess they breed them differently in Aldershot. Slightly dispirited, and now running back into the wind, a 5:23 is all I can manage, and the doubts now creep in.

We're down to three now as my clubmate has fallen off the back. As we go towards 10 miles, James and Vic Park open a gap of 15 metres as I once again slow, with a 5:29. This is getting away from me! 10 miles in 53:10ish (pb: 55:18), and instead of thinking about a 16:50 5k to bring it home, I'm thinking about an 18 min 5k to at least get a good PB.
  • Another break for adverts. 
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Though mile 11 is still slower than I wanted, with 5:28, this includes the motorway bridges, so it still gets me back up to the other two. 

From somewhere, I find some extra reserve. Maybe just realising that it's only two miles, or that those bridges are done, but a 5:17 rescues my hopes of cracking 70. At 12 miles, James shouts out that it's gonna be close, give it all you've got. This partly shores up my resolve, and also partly bothers me that he's got the energy to say stuff. But anyway, I won't forgive myself if I let it slide from here. The other two pull out a lead again, but it's me vs the clock now. Mile 13 is 5:20, and that will do. I see the clock, and it is going to happen. Across the line in 7th place in a crazy 69:52!

Holy shit! Slightly disbelieving, but over the moon. This is about the maximum I ever thought I'd be able to achieve in running even six months ago. Crazy stuff.

Announcer also notes that we've won the team prize. Yay! Except it turns out we haven't. Boo!