Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Great report and run, Dachs! Well done! And time to find a 10 miler to revise that pb!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Brilliant run Dachs and a race report to do it justice. Will you still remember us all on this forum now you're a proper elite!
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Sorry, who are you again?
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely brilliant run Dachs. Knocking out sub 5.20 miles in a half is some bloody effort! 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

He's a big pimp these days. Reading and hearing about that, plus going well again myself makes me miss the big race scene.

Nothing more satisfying than a big race performance, writing a report and status, and then bantering about it for the rest of the day

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Epic run and report. Had everything. Well done that man on breaking a real club runners gold standard. :)

🙂

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Outstanding!
    in fairness it's probably only me that's questioned your impressive training to race performance record.  But that's put to bed now.  Great stuff.  
  • Options

CONGRATULATION DACHS, EVEN SG MUST AGREE THAT DESERVES BIG BLUE LETTERS, I'LL SAVE IT FOR BIG PERFORMANCES FROM NOW ON ;)

• Options
    Solid performance Pete.

I managed 8 miles today, 15 for the week so starting to build it up slowly.
  • Options
    Quality run there Dachs, and X9.5x is a great PB to have for any distance and one that will sit comfortably in years to come if you don't break it again (which I am sure you will, Wokingham is not the fastest of courses nor fields and the weather was less than ideal).
  • Options
    Superb stuff Dachs! Although I've praised you enough on social media enough no... at least I've got 1500 left. For now LOL. 
  • Options
    How do you bookmark the thread then?

I've been foam rolling the bejeezus out of the hip and managed a walk over a few fells yesterday in a blizzard, and even a short run today, followed by a long walk. The run was about 3.8M but 2000 ft, so nice and slow. No real problems,  but was starting to be a little sore by the end. Oddly, and in stark contrast to perceived wisdom,  there was no pain running up or downhill, but only on the flat. Luckily, there's not much flat here!!!
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

OK, so managed to overlook Pete's post in all of the excitement of yesterday.  A relief to see another parkrun/10K double, it's the way things should be.  Yes, times will be down after a spell out, but will come back quicker than you think I'm sure.

Thanks all for the comments - yes, social media does rather steal the thunder of this thread sometimes, but there you go.

Two things:

My race number yesterday was 70.  I ran just under 70.  Anyone else ever run their race number?  I don't normally keep race numbers, but think I'll hang onto this one.

Is this the thread's first sub 70?  Obviously, I appreciate that some of our more venerable posters over the years probably ran faster than that as a casual training run in the 1980s, but I mean the first one whilst a thread poster?  Matt will be next...

• Options
    Sounds like you are getting there now Bus. Scott- cheers for the heads up and I am down at my folks and was planning to do Poole as it happens. Looks like the end of the winning streak at Poole then!

So I did the final Surrey league cross country on Saturday, one of my favourite courses on Wimbledon common, pretty flat and fast. Went off quite fast which is not my usual XC thing. Felt pretty good until the long stretch which is usually a bit drier so it started to take its toll by halfway, where I usually feel better. 

So got a bit of a second wind, but still didn't feel amazing tbh..made my way round the second lap and just about held my place until being done by no less than three Hercules Wimbledon types in the last 1/4 mile! Down from 33rd to 36th at the finish, so not a disaster by any means. Just not good enough at XC to keep my pace through the muddy bits. 
  • Options
    bus, top right (but not right at the top) of the page is a favourite star: click it and it should turn yellow. Then you go to the star top (right at the top) and it will show you your favourites (bookmarks).

Walked out of the door this morning and left the running kit on the kitchen side, so headed home a bit earlier and went for a run in sunshine. Yesterday 0 degrees, today 9. 
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Lady I know well was given number 259 for VLM 2 years ago when she was desperately trying to go sub 3 and in great shape to do so. Saw it as an omen and told everyone beforehand. She ran a great marathon but sadly in 3'04
  • Options
    Can people please consider the OCD mathos on this site? Dachs' number was 70 and he ran sub 70 minutes. 259 is 259 minutes so 4 hours 19 minutes, not 2 hours 59 minutes, else he would have had number 110.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

One in a million is our Phil.

I'll let him decide what the unit is!

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    5 years and I've managed to get a picture on! 
    Bloody great this new site. ;-) 
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Not the time I ran but it was 1966 when I was just a lad. 
  • Options
    I have to say it is looking slightly better today, although I am getting bombarded with email notifications.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Good to see the new pics pop up, might have to finally change mine if it's easy. Reg good to hear you've increased the recovery plan, should be back into it soon.

Thought i'd stretch my tempo on a bit, so straight forward 6.5miler at MP, which was a brain taxing 26 laps plus 13secs to make sure of the full dostance.

38.45 so that must be 5.58ish average.

Quite cold, and felt harder work than the last few tempos, but i suppose this is why you pitch them at over 10k distance. Not to mention that the actual zone should start at 6.00, not better it!

Used to do a fair few of these,and they used to then ramp up to incorporate HMP, and then move to straight 2 or 3mile sections at HMP.
    Clearly the track helps the momentum, but you lose something fresh about a change of scenery and "getting somewhere" from the road runs. So much better knowing you're not going to get mashed by a car/person or dog though!
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Can people please consider the OCD mathos on this site? Dachs' number was 70 and he ran sub 70 minutes. 259 is 259 minutes so 4 hours 19 minutes, not 2 hours 59 minutes, else he would have had number 110.
    Appreciate the OCD logic Philip but where does 110=2'59 come from; isn't it 179 on your rules? Don't think someone could go say sub 3 was in the stars because they were number 179 even so! 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Come on Pete... the 110 is related to Dachs' 1hour 10, or sub 1.10 to be precise...
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    ah, got it; sorry SG being a bit thick this morning! Bit confusing as HM's talked of often in mins (despite always being over 1 hour unless you're Mo and his mates!) but Marathons in hrs and mins.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    In fairness Pete, it did take me a few mins yesterday working out what was being said. But general rule of thumb with Phil is he's got a big physics brain, so generally his figures will be spot on!

I tend to find the best runners reference their Half times in minutes.
    Which is why you'll always find me using hours and minutes  :)
  • Options
    On Power of 10 you get hours and minutes down to 1:40 and minutes only under that.

Also: well done Dachs. That is very fast indeed.
  • Options
    Nice tempo run SG. Good maths Pete.

Following the PB fest at Wokingham I have a serious urge to do Reading Half, in fact I am going to do unless it sells out before I enter.

One chap who I've comfortably beaten every time, ran 1:17:xx so that's given me a kick up the backside. My only doubt is whether I do any quality runs in the lead up or just build up the miles. I guess I can run more miles if I keep them easy. Only 4 1/2 weeks so I need to do the right thing.

I am thinking of accelerating the mileage increase, I was going to do 20 this week but if I jump to 30 I could do something like 30,35,40,35 & then the taper week and maybe a tempo run in the penultimate week.

Probably a bit stupid right?
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

You sound like you want us to talk you out of it Reg.

PMJ, you are right of course, but perhaps this mathematical inaccuracy is why the lady in question did not manage to achieve the sub-3 target?  A kind of cosmic revenge on the statistically illiterate.

Good hard track tempo there SG.  Sounds like half marathon training if you ask me.  Which one then?  ;)

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Reg (and SG :) ); Reading entries close today so you need to decide pretty soon. There is also Fleet on the same day for which entries close Sunday. I'm still deliberating both of these and Bath Half the week before (which generously gave me a free 'good for age' place but is a trek to get down there). I'm a bit in your shoes too having done few miles in recent months and nothing long. Also got a charity cycle ride my daughter has entered us in on 18 March so not obvious day before prep for a half, but only a 40 miler so probably both are doable. Sensible thing for both of us is probably to leave HM's till the autumn, but when did sense prevail!