Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

Yep, less than 2 weeks away now, so I'll sort with work on Monday and confirm for sure.

Might try and do a half day job again, work couple of hours before and after.

Then work out pros/cons drive v train!

• I put 20 mins into SC at Poole parkrun today. Not many of you boys can say that :) 

17:17 for 9th. Trailed away as splits show opening quick on 5:26 ending 5:43 but it's a start and having only a few weeks and sessions under my belt I can't moan :) Hoping the next 6 weeks things come through 
    Under-cover there Scott, 9th shows as unknown. Think I'll claim 2nd  ;)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Cracking parkrun Scott off the training you've squeezed in! Spotted some cracking sessions on here this week - been reading but not posting much.

Back from the Lakes yesterday. Thankfully it wasn't the complete disaster it threatened to be, as I managed to get a few short runs in at least, plus a few longish walks. Only 12.4M for the week, but over 4000ft of hills in those! Hip was sore after each run though, so will rest it properly now. It actually made for a more relaxing week not having to push it.

Bike ride this morning. Jeez there were loads of cyclists out! 36 very hilly miles done as hard as I could push it on the new gravel bike. Just scraped 17mph, which I'm happy with on 35mm tyres! The bike may be a bit slower than my road bike, but the fat tyres and relaxed ride really take the sting of the shitty lanes round here. I even managed to overtake a few proper roadies on some hills :). Oh, hit 46mph down Hamilton Hill as well, which got the adrenaline going early doors!
  • bus, holidays are normally judged on weather, food, drink, accommodation and if (or how often ) the wife puts out, not miles run. Glad you seemed to enjoy it anyway.

Just over 13 miles today and 285 m elevation gain on a nice route north of the Thames between Marlow and Henley. Started out where SG used to marshall on the Marlow Half, then dropped down to Medmenham, then a few out of the way paths to get me to Greenlands to join the Thames to Henley on the opposite bank to the normal route I take, then north west out of Henley through Henley Park (really nice that bit) and on to Fawley before dropping back down the Hambledon and one last uphill to get back to the start. 
  • Nice run.
    Judged against that list then:
    1) Weather was good for Feb in the Lakes (sunshine, blizzards, ice, wind, mist and rain!); food was good Mainly my cooking, but the Lamb Henry I had in the Britannia Inn was so good, I had it twice!)
    2) Drink was plentiful (and again, the Britannia Inn came up trumps with a great Sneck Lifter and huge range of Islay Malts)
    3) Accommodation was small and cosy, with an open fire and ideally situated both for views and the pub, with bonuses being membership of the Langdale Spa included and a big smart TV meaning my daughter and her friend could disappear to the pool or watch Netflix for hours while we went to the pub!
    4) The wife put out the rubbish twice (is that what you meant?).

All things considered then, not a bad holiday at all!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Glad you had a good time Bus. There was no way you were going to the lakes and not running was there? You must have an element of Ron Hill in your make up.
    I meanwhile have kept to the regime, so not much drinking from my side of things.
    Hill session for me today, in between some indoor bike work.

🙂

• Cheers Ric - had to be done! I wish I had a small percentage of his talent as well as his pig-headedness though  ;)
  • Nice holidaying Bus- I really must do a holiday up there sometime. The cycling trip this year is in the Dales, which is not quite as nice.

Good ride that.

Sounds like a nice run that Phil, I've done a few around that area myself and my route from Mill End up on side of the valley and down the other is my favourite run.

Well done on the PR Scott, things seem to be going to plan and I am sure you'll be progressing to sub 17 soon.

Personally I have had a set back. Started getting foot pain swimming. This is the other foot and it was in the big toe or just underneath. My suspicion is that it's form pushing off the wall, running probably exacerbates it.

I managed a few tempo miles on Friday night but it didn't feel that great and on Saturday I could barely walk. It got worse overnight so I think I may have to seek treatment. My googling suggests Sesamoiditis or god forbid another SF. I have fashioned a pressure releasing pad out of some tape and a dishcloth.

Still managed to get out on the bike and clocked up 50 miles at 21mph doing 4 laps of the drift road circuit as the main tempo effort. SO I was happy with that. Looks like running is off the cards for now though.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

Bad news Reggie, don't start thinking the worst yet though. See what they reckon, and most importantly what is doable in any recovery period. I know you'd be chomping to do something.

With all your holidays Bus, I'd have thought you could postpone a run to the next time o:). Seems like a good spell away though, even without as much monstering as you'd usually like.

Long one in from Phil. Random starting location that! Not exactly close to anywhere! But I dare say infinite scenic stuff there.
    Myself and a running pal used to have a running website, asking for recommendations of "scenic" races. I don't think we ever got round to any of them, as obviously scenic usually means hard work/hilly!

Scott, i'm never surprised at what you can do off minimal comeback. Some runners simply get their fitness back quicker than others.

Anyway.... 14 today at 6.48 average. Longest run since May!
    Clocked the half marathon coming up sub 1hr 30. A pal ran her all time pb in that recently. Did make me wonder a little what I could put down right now, but I think i'll definitely settle in with some shorter stuff first. Certainly need to burn that memory of the last one away at some stage though, or it'll be there for ever.

Felt pretty good, even with it including the trip up to Beaconsfield/Penn etc. Always forget how long Hammersley Lane is to descend, 1.5miles. Would be a real challenge to climb, not just in steepness, but in a lack of a footpath for half of it.

68 mile week, feeling decent, only moan was a filling coming out earlier :) Just a bit more of a hassle to sort out now working 40mins away!

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Been off the forum for a while due to work and then being off last week and busy...  Someone bring me up to speed...

I'm on the injury bench just now :(

Sore knee caused by tight IT band, caused by tight glute (potentially caused by tight foot??).  Not been able to run more than 20 minutes at a time for over a week now and the week before that wasn't much better.

Marathon is less than 6 weeks away and I've only done 2x 20 milers, 1x 18 miler, 2x 17 milers, 1x 16 miler in the past 2.5 months.  No end of this thing in sight either, so really not sure where that leaves me.  Probably not doing the marathon, or at least not racing it.  Supposed to have an HM race yesterday, where I was going to smash my PB into tiny pieces but obviously couldn't go.  Plenty of clubmates destroyed their PBs yesterday as it was good conditions on a fast course.

Pretty pissed off!!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bad news CC, you were going so well. Don't fret or write anything off just yet though.
    Sometimes, to get those pbs you exist on a tightrope of injury risk, but you'll find a way over it and come again
  • PhilipMJonesPhilipMJones ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Reg Wand said:
    Sounds like a nice run that Phil, I've done a few around that area myself and my route from Mill End up on side of the valley and down the other is my favourite run.

Do you have a trace of that route? Looks like maybe up to Fingest, then Turville and Southend and back 

Stevie G said:
    Long one in from Phil. Random starting location that! Not exactly close to anywhere! But I dare say infinite scenic stuff there.
    Not close to anywhere but also not far. The start point was less than a couple of miles outside Marlow and only about 12 minutes drive from home. I'd much prefer to drive a few miles and have a new and scenic route all the way than start from home and repeat the same bits of road each time I go out. I do that every day from the office.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, i can see that. Although i'm dull enough to not mind it too much. Spiced up the last 2 week's long runs though,
    And slightly looking forward to an old style 10miler my way Wed morning pre Dentist appointment!
    Imagine that as a mornign to look forward to for most people, long run - dentist :)

Days off for the 2 Friday middayers, so we're set. The former will be the first race under Datchet colours.
    Well...team name, i still have to sort a vest out, and not sure that's quick enough for 11 days away?
  • Reg Wand said:

Do you have a trace of that route? Looks like maybe up to Fingest, then Turville and Southend and back 

I've done a few variations of it, there's a couple below.

https://www.strava.com/activities/428782791

https://www.strava.com/activities/510233385
  • Sorry to hear about your woes CC, I can empathise. 

Foot is still very sore, will have to go to the doctor tomorrow. Can't do my lunch swim because it's a 10 minute walk to the gym and I can't even manage that.
  • Reg, both of those look very hilly, unnecessarily so. 
  • If you want to get from A to B Phil they are unnecessarily hilly. I enjoy hilly runs though so they were crucial :)

Except at the moment, I didn't even enjoy my 200 metre walk to Waitrose,
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Just a bit of luck needed now Scott then you can keep progressing to the times you're no doubt capable of! 

Bad news on the injury front Reg and CC82. Hopefully all is not lost for Manchester CC82 but if you do miss Manchester then Edinburgh perhaps for plan B? 

I did Blackpool half marathon yesterday and it went ok. Toyed with the idea of running it at marathon HR as I wore my HR monitor for the first time in over 6 months but thought sod it ill just go with it. Noticed a couple of lads who'd beaten me at Brass monkey half so thought I'd go with them. No chance of the win with Chris Steele on the start line either who promptly disappeared into the distance at the

The course is basically all on the sea front which is in two tiers.  Starts off heading south along the top path and then drop down to the bottom tier where we head north to complete a small lap before another two larger laps.
    Worked out that around 5/6 mile on the top path was into the wind but a tailwind when we were on the bottom section. 

Straight away I was off the back of the group behind the leader so after the opening mile I had to work far too hard to get in amongst them. I thought I'd need up paying for it but it immediately felt far more comfortable as soon as I got in the group of 4-5.
    5.31 5.30 5.31 5.33 5.30 5.33 were the first 6 despite miles 1 and 3 being into the wind. Mile 7 and 8 were 5.49 and 5.47 which saw a couple of casualties off our group and me being the mug who took the wind as the other two just dropped in right behind me. I wasn't bothered about what position I finished as the prizes are usually terrible (pair of socks for my winning in 71.19 before) so I just wanted a solid run. 

I said we should share the load but not much company came forward. Just us three hit the bottom path where we started overtaking lapped runners. Headphones in and 5-6 wide as the chatted away covering the path. Absolute ballache. Come up to a water station with one lady starts chatting to the volunteer handing out the water which ended up with one of the lads nearly taking the full table out. No Marshall at the next turn to the bottom path so we nearly ended up heading to the finish 5 mile early. Would've been nice! 
    Miles 9 and 10 were 5.28 then the long slog home along the top path which had little inclines and hundreds of lapped runners covering a path that was about 3 metres wide. 

At this point a lad from Sale came from absolutely nowhere to join the group. We'd not really slowed either but another lad who beat me at BM half where he ran 71 dropped off the group. Went for a drink at the next water station which although didn't have runners at it, they were all in the area and one runner promptly went right across my path where I grabbed a bottle out of one hand and obliterated her arm and the bottle in the other marshalls hand. Bottles of water all over the shop. 

5.38 5.35 5.30 were the last 3 miles which were hard going and pleasing considering everything that was going on as we're were literally weaving in and out of masses of people up some little inclines and contending the wind. Hit the last stretch and the legs had had enough as the other two moved away from me. Crossed the line in 1.13.06 which although 16 seconds slower than BM half. BM was pancake flat and ideal racing conditions. 

Wasnt keen on the HR either as it was well into the 180s all throughout the first half before it packing in. I've raced 5ks at that HR. what does that mean? I'm massively u fit? Haha. 
    2.29 is an absolute pipe dream and will always be unless I start looking after myself a bit better. 
  • Reg Wand said:
    I enjoy hilly runs though so they were crucial :)
    I suppose I asked you for your traces so can't complain if they are hilly. I do like hills if only for the views and the change in pace but not too many, so I am happy to run from Turville (spot height at 82 m) to Fingest (spot height at 83 m) without going up Turville Hill 158 m (where Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! lives) and down (89 m) and then up Hanger Wood (177m) and down again. 

Good racing there Matt, has anyone said you need a plan?
  • Phil - I actually devised that route based on getting to the top of Cobstone Mill so once I was up there I had to find a route back down without going on the Oxford road as I was avoiding tarmac. That just happened to mean I chucked another climb in. That whole section is quite tough with some steep climbs all close together.

Particularly Cobstone as it has a 50% section!
  • Reg Wand said:

Particularly Cobstone as it has a 50% section!
    Yep, the Strava CR record there is held by some seriously crazy guy at 11:32/mi https://www.strava.com/segments/7047308
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Good luck with losing the injuries CC and Reg.

Change of club SG - same here, sort of.
    I've just made use of the new facility from UKA to change clubs online (from Jan this year). Saved a mass of work and also having to negotiate the antiquated method and reasons for changing clubs. I've just dropped Harrow and gone back to Metros as a first claim. Been a member for close to thirty years with them.

Good race ML. A high HR means you're fit. At least if not going into oxygen debt while holding a high rate. Un fit when young-ish is agetting a high HR and blowing up.
    Unfit when my age is blowing up at a low HR and being unable to get a HR at all.

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Phil, I've been following the P and D plan since early Jan. Still a few weeks to go and it may all come together with some faster sessions over the next few weeks but at the min I'm swayed with Steve Ways BAC sessions. 

Ric, I was basing the high HR from when I had my lactate threshold test just over 2 years ago. I averaged 170 for the marathon but most of yesterday's half was 184ish. Going to wear it again over the last few weeks to see what numbers come up. 
    RicF, I did expect to blow up when I saw 185+ early doors but I didn't so maybe a positive. 
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    ML, back in the day, I once went for a brisk training run and despite a HR of 180bpm, it felt effortless.
    The only problem I had was going faster in races. That high rate didn't leave much to play with.
    Of course, now, I realise I should have been working on strength and power. You can only be so fit with whatever you have.

🙂

• ML84 said:
    Phil, I've been following the P and D plan since early Jan. 
    So what did the plan say for last week? The P&D plan is pretty good on setting out target paces etc, so you should not have been at the start of a half marathon and tossing a coin to see if you do it at MP or HMP. It was a solid run but I am sure it wasn't P&D. P&D have a race tune up about 6 weeks out.
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Well it's a good job Manchester is 6 weeks away and page 200 of Advanced Marathoning by P and D says (15k to half marathon tune up race) :-) 
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I dropped a couple of morning recovery runs last week so did 71 mile instead of the 85-89 the plan said. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    You should try the route up through the golf club and Beacon Hill SG. Nearly all tarmac and no chance of being wiped out by a car! Very good long run that.

Reg - that sounds bad. You're not having a lot of luck recently - hpe it isn't as bad as it sounds. Very impressive bike ride though!

CC - also bad news and pretty shit timing for it! It's not too late if it heals though, so fingers crossed!

Matt - outstanding again! Good report too I wish I was as unfit as you  ;) You'll be fine for a 2:29 - just need to cut down on the fry-ups and beer in the week before!

Hip seems to be improving, but not yet ready for a run on it, so did a wee bit extra effort on the bike today and a proper bike double planned for tomorrow.

Must get some runs in over Fingest way at some point - was through there on the bike yesterday.
  • ML84 said:
    Well it's a good job Manchester is 6 weeks away and page 200 of Advanced Marathoning by P and D says (15k to half marathon tune up race) :-) 
    All good indeed then: I hadn't really registered how early Manchester was ts year nor how far into 2017 we are! I was quoting off the same page so seems you did pretty much what P&D said you needed to do other than that they seem to race on a Saturday and UK it is usual to race a Sunday. 

Are you going to stick to P&D for the last bit or follow Steve Way? P&D are pretty old-school in terms of the taper which is a three-week job and the long runs are just about done by now and it is race preparation, but Steve Way is a big fan of the short taper with a big one a month out including his famous "running round a field" https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/288195777
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Cheers folks.  It is shit timing.  But, all in perspective Reg - at least I can walk comfortably.  Hope that sorts itself out soon!  I swam for the first time in fuck knows how long this morning.  40 (25m) lengths in about 35 minutes.  I think I used to do 40 in under 30 minutes when I swam semi regularly.  Never been able to go fast in the pool!  I reminded myself why I'm not a big fan of swimming - people in the same lane swimming at different speeds.  There was a slow lane and a medium lane.  I never entertain anything other than the slow lane.  There was just me and this old bird who was slower than me to start with.  That was okay as it was wide enough to overtake but then someone faster than me joined us.  We kept getting in each other's way.  Pain in the ass.  I would probably have been slightly quicker and carried on for at least 50 lengths if she hadn't joined us...

Matt - great race in the circumstances.  Have you ever thought about getting an actual coach?  I reckon a plan structured specifically for you would see you smashing out some even better times.