Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

And yes, Tejvan is a well known proper climber!!

• A top 10 is always decent. However as Phil suggests it's the popular climbs where you get to judge yourself. When you're out on a hilly ride you don't attack every climb so you tend to save it for the biggest ones. The short sharp climbs definitely show some good power but it's the long steep ones that separate the men from the boys.

I thought I was a good climber but when I got to Mallorca and took on Puis Major it just drained the life out of me. 9 miles at 6% in 30 degree heat.

Whiteleaf is definitely a good one to benchmark yourself.

• He also appears on two of the other segment names for the same hill I did last night, in second place, so even if I'm 17th, behind Tejvan but in front of 2200 other attempts, I'm still happy with that!

https://www.strava.com/activities/876045991/segments/21327194973

Steve James, behind me in my pick of the 3 where I'm 9th, but 2 secs in front on this one, is a pretty good cyclist too! No doubt his was just part of a long ride, whereas mine was a proper attempt, and this is clearly Strava Wankery I know, but i'll still take my pleasure where I can :-)

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Have you used veloviewer, that ranks your best segments based on your position and the amount of people trying it.

Interestingly a lot of my best performances are descents. My best climb is this one https://www.strava.com/segments/686798

The guy in 2nd is only a teenager and I was racing him up the hill on this attempt, we finished dead level, Strava gave him 1 second. He's been back and beaten it, The chap in first I have also ridden with once and he holds the record for the IM Wales bike split. I think he has a 18:xx 10m TT amongst other accolades, so he's a bit of a monster on the bike.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

Stop trying to spoil my fun chaps! Anyway, how did you sneak in between my posts Reg? Must have taken a long time to write that!

I do Whiteleaf regularly, but usually on the second ride of the day, at night and after a day at work, so seldom in the mood for attacking it. I've only done the specific segment PMJ posted once as it starts on the A4010. The actual VC10 KOM Whiteleaf Challenge starts just past the turn with the Upper Icknield Way. On that one I am 328/7695. Tejvan is first of course - by a long margin!

Also, with a KOM like Whiteleaf or Kop Hill, you are never going to get anywhere out of the masses if it's had the Tour of Britain roll through it, so you are never going to get close to the like if Wiggins and Kwiatowski!!! That would be like challenging yourself to a segment somewhere on the Berlin Marathon course....

I know segments can be made of anything, but as long as its a proper hill, of decent length and has been attempted thousands of times, I think its reasonable to use for comparison.  Cycling segments are different to running ones anyway, as, by the very nature of cycling, any one segment is likely to have been done by a much wider group of cyclists. If you have a CR on a running segment that's only been done 18 times, then that aint worth jack I'd agree!

• I probably wrote some did some work and came back to it Bus.

Cycling you spend most of your time operating at an easy level, when you consider the area you cover is much greater than running and less repeated, the probability of you covering a segment whilst working hard are much less than running. That kind of counters the fewer people attempting the segments in running somewhat.

When I have ventured out your way I have only ever attacked Whiteleaf, all the others are just an example of how fast I am in the easy zone, hence they are not comparable to someone that has attacked the hill.

Top 10 is very good regardless though, which way was the wind blowing ;)
  • Thanks. I take the point about cycling at an easy pace - I tend to attack hills though. Last night's hill is a "Hollow lane", so sunk between high banks, so no wind effect there. I might be going up Whiteleaf tomorrow night as it happens. My next target for it though, is that first placed lady rider, who is currently two seconds in front of me!

Just been running round my kitchen table to try and test the hip!!! Far too windy to head out on the bike, and still not certain whether to attempt a run today, both because of the hip and the chanced of getting brained by flying debris!!

• OK, off for a run heading out west in the theory that it is better to run out into a headwind so I get the wind on my back for the return leg. If I get taken out by any flying debris I bequeath my Dashers top to SG and the beer in my larder to bus. The rest of you can share out the remainder of a Christmas box of Celebrations. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I found the wind ok this morning which can only mean it will be horrific on the way home. Having said that yesterday was ok. I actually lengthened my route home on the logic that it would give me more time not directly into the wind. It does hurt my foot though, afterwards it throbs but I can't feel it much during. I have an x-ray tomorrow, I chose the hospital based on the nicest cycle route (Henley), I wonder how many other people cycle to have a foot x-ray?

Any idea on what the hip issue is Bus?

Talking of killer debris, I actually considered wearing a helmet this morning, just in case. Maybe run with a helmet on Phil.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Bit of a detour needed for me on my cycle to work but this driver must have been happy to try and go over the tree!
  • Not many Reg! Good luck with the x-ray. Not sure with the hip - my best bet would be ITB issues. If it lingers, I'll get to a  doctor.

Philip - before I wish ill of you in the wind (or plot some form of ambush!), how much beer do you have in your larder?

Wind is forecast to die down early evening.

• Back so no beer to handed out, but it is probably 3 or 4 crates. 

2 trees down on the towpath but no photos as I don't usually carry a camera.
  • What a numpty Pete! Difficult to see how he managed that, unless it fell right in front of the car whilst it was moving at speed?
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Today had to be the only day I could fit a reps session in didn't it! The tarmac track I use around the perimeter of Ascot racecourse is a bit like Dorney; windy at the best of times so today felt like running on treacle. Was meant to be 4*1 mile off 90; binned it after 3 and they were 6'20,5'49 and 6'05, massive variations depending on the wind. Would hope to do all of those in sub 5'50 in normal conditions. 
  • Does your bequest stand for tomorrow's run? :-)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You can only run as well as the conditions allow Pete, so good effort. Understandable to bin too.

6&4 for me today, couple of miles in each were a struggle due to win, but half of the last mile i was coasting at 6.30 pace with barely any effort due to one of those very rarer wind assisted times!

Worst bit was at the top of a grassy hill where i did wonder if i might be swept into the air
  • Definitely not a day for reps, so good effort Pete and fair play for the double SG!

It seems to be getting worse. I'm working at home today, and just had to go out and stop my fence from blowing down! The wind in the trees was so loud I thought it was thundering at times - I've never heard it so loud here. There was so much debris flying past while I was doing it, I was tempted to fetch my hard-hat out of the garage!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Keep trying to remind myself, "drive the main road route home, not the very woody back roads way" :)
  • There was a tree down on the London Rd not long ago, but the road is open now.

• 9m easy with strides at 6am for me today. Looks like I dodged all the falling trees and bricks. Wind was really only picking up at that time although some of the splits may suggest otherwise. Looked horrendous for some cyclists fighting the winds on way home tonight.
  • BTW Stevie I'm also promoted to Level 3 despite not being active on here for a good year or so!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

After a couple of pages of some less than inspiring stuff, welcome back ALD...:)

I've had that dam level 3 promotion email 4 times now! Garhhh

• Here to stay this time too.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Perfect stuff, good to have you back. If we could get Stevie See and Ultra G back, we've got the original cast back!
  • Welcome back ALD!!! It's the gusts that get you on a bike - especially if they blow you in front of a truck!!!
    Short hip tester tonight as first run for over a week - 4 miles. All OK during run, but slightly sore after, so not out of the woods yet, but a wee bit more promising anyway.
  • What does "Level 3" mean anyway??? 
  • The Bus said:
    What does "Level 3" mean anyway??? 
    Don't know. I don't seem to have any level at all. Where do you see levels?
  • No where - like SG, I keep getting emails congratulating me for achieving Level 3! As it seems to be just us two, it must be related to the amount of bollocks we post ;-).

Hip a little sore today after yesterday's run (presumably) :-(

20 cold miles on the bike this morning. Big tyres were definitely helpful in riding through all the tree debris!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, 4 now, notification, then an email! Bore off!
    Hope the hip thing bores off too Bus! I don't think i'd ever heard of hip flexors before about 2 years ago, but when those badboys go tight it's catastrophic!

8x600 off 90secs today, planned at 3k pace.

Got to the track post usual 3mile warm up, found that the track was a little slippy for about 150metres, a lot of the home straight and round the bend. Bit windy too,but thought let's crack on.

After rep 1 i thought, i'm gonna struggle for 8 of these, i'd describe that stretch of the track as hard to grip like usual rather than risky/slippery, but didn't help. Wind and a little knackeration not helping either.

Long story short, conned myself that i'd "just do one more", before possibly doing 400 and 200s later on, but in the end did the full 8. Pleased with that! The 1.55 on rep 5 was a particularly big mental boost, as if it'd bthe same as rep 4 or slower i'd have definitely gone down in distance.

1.55,1.55,1.56,1.57,1.55,1.56,1.55,1.55  (average mid 1.55s)

By the letter of the law, 1.15/1.16 lap aim should have been looking for 1.54s, but with the grip/wind i was pleased to get out of there with it completed!

Find it works decently having Saturday as the rest day at the moment. Means doing an extra run on a week day i would have had off, whereas Saturday would always be a single, so keeps the mileage a little higher.
    Just that slight risk that you're not as fresh for the Fri reps, having run on the Thursday, but as long as there's reasons like today for it slipping a little, then not a fatigure issue!
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Work has been a bit busy lately, hence the sporadic posts.  No real progress on the glute/IT band issue to report.  Have done bugger all relatively this week.  That swim on Tuesday followed by strength work in the gym on Tuesday evening, then got onto the X trainer this morning for an hour.  Tried to progress the effort and did manage to get the HR up to a max of 161 at one point.  No negative feedback from the knee, so hopefully getting somewhere and can get back to running next week...  I'll try and get out for a decent cycle tomorrow if I can fit it in just to keep my hand in with some aerobic stuff!

Oh - and my push ups are coming on nicely.  Did 110 on Monday, 100 on Wednesday and 100 on Thursday.