Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

Strava and cycling? Sod off to the Tri site if you're going to post that stuff ;) And you had to mention Whyteleafe again...(I need to concentrate at work..)..and which 1879th is you??

Piriformis is slowly getting there. Stupidly going to test it tomorrow, been doing the sitting on the edge of a chair with foot on the other thigh and stretching it out. Pictures from Wolloton Pk show some nice rivers for us to get through. Best part will be going on the piss in the evening with the team and a few mates I know from when I lived there. Should be good.

By the way. I thought the end of the latest discussions was 2 days ago. doh..

• Options

Simon - my mate is setting out the course at Wolly Park at the moment.

Apparently the short lap is currently being deliberately flooded, particularly along the shortest route...

Should be fun!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.  My posting has been shite recently.  Work has gone nuts, and we're having an extension built, so both my work and home lives are in chaos.  I try not to miss runs, but couldn't find any time to go out yesterday.  Never mind, won't do me no harm etc.

Sounds like a really solid run from Matt in the wind, particularly if it wasn't a full-on effort.  I honestly don't think you need more than tweaks to be challenging 1:10.  Part of it surely has to be making your training more specific, and not deciding, for example, to casually do a 25 mile run taking in several of the UK's highest peaks.  I didn't need to worry about my diet (which is pretty crap) to do it.  What got me there I think is long tempos - 10, 11, 12 - at quicker than marathon pace.  I did them in the lead up to Wokingham 2015 and smashed it, and in the lead up to Wokingham 2017, and smashed it again.  Sub 1:10 seemed a distant dream when I was running 1:13s last year, but it wasn't.

As for everyone else, stop being injured, it's making you talk about bikes you boring bastards!

Nice reps SG.

I'm up in Nottingham for the National XC tomorrow.  I note that Simon will be there, but will any of the rest of you?  Should be an interesting experience.

• Options

I'd have to swim to be allowed to post on there Simon! (like you tomorrow by the sound of it!) Good luck with the PF....

Look at the VC10 Whiteleaf KOM , not that one, and I'm the 3rd 328th!

• Options

Odd - posts keep appearing after they should on the new thread!

Sorry Dachs. Bikes ARE interesting. Really...

I wonder if SG is going to tell you off for your "faster than MP long tempos" ;-)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Some people are built to withstand big sessions Bus, but like we often find, it depends on definition!

MP, or TMP (Theoretical MP)

Ignoring the argument that if you're well trained enough, your TMP could become your MP, it'd be 2 different sessions...

I did 6.5miles at sub 6 for instance last week, at the fast end of my TMP zone.
    I'd comfortably be able to do 10miles at my MP zone, as it'd probably be more your 6.20-6.30s
    So 10-12miles quicker than TMP, asking a bloody lot, 10-12miles quicker than MP, very doable.
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Hey, I was reliably told by someone that Woollaton Park is nicely undulating and fairly firm.  I don't want any Parliament Hill style crap!
  • Options
    Dachs - I went for a recce at Wollaton Park a couple of weeks ago and it was as you describe, with the odd muddy / boggy bit where the deer have been wallowing etc. However, the organisers have told the bloke from Notts AC who's designed the course to make it as muddy as possible, so he's been flooding part of the small lap especially on the racing line. He reckons there will be a few shoes lost...
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
  • Options

Strava and cycling? Sod off to the Tri site if you're going to post that stuff ;) And you had to mention Whyteleafe again...(I need to concentrate at work..)..and which 1879th is you??

Piriformis is slowly getting there. Stupidly going to test it tomorrow, been doing the sitting on the edge of a chair with foot on the other thigh and stretching it out. Pictures from Wolloton Pk show some nice rivers for us to get through. Best part will be going on the piss in the evening with the team and a few mates I know from when I lived there. Should be good.

By the way. I thought the end of the latest discussions was 2 days ago. doh..

Simon - I don't recall anyone talking about Whyteleafe, what's that?

So I cycled to the hospital today to get my x-ray and it was a great service, walked in was seen straight away and was all done in less than 5 minutes. Then she said the x-ray should be with your GP in about a week!

Wtf is that all about, can't you just f*cking email it in 10 seconds? Or better still why doesn't go straight onto a system allocated to my account. I reckon they deliberately slow it down to space everything out.

Anyway the radiation seems to have made it better so maybe I have foot cancer. By the time the GP gets my images I am pretty sure that it will be better and he will tell me to rest it for time already served.

• Options
    Can't rush these things Reg! 
    19.3 (bike!) miles home (sorry, but can't talk about running anymore!), including Whiteleaf. No chance whatsoever of making a dent in the segment - legs were shagged after 136 miles in 6 days. Tried to make up for it on the long Bryant's Bottom segment, and was going great guns until severe cramp in my calves put paid to that! Difficult to unclip when both calves are cramping - lots of swearing involved!
  • Options
    I've done a couple of x/c around Wollaton in the past as I only live 20 mins away and there are spots of horrendous bogginess and undulating is a fair description! Good luck Simon!!
  • Options
    7 miles tempo for me today followed by 3 x 400m at mile pace. Nice outing and all mile splits run approx 8-10 secs faster than same run 3 weeks ago. Progress!
  • Options
    Nice session SG - you not Park Running tomorrow?
  • Options
    Good luck Dachs too!! 

What time does tge gun go off? May come and watch!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

What pace is the tempo ALD? if it's 10mile pace that's epic ;)

Sort of massively completely lost interest in parkruns now the proper racing is on the agenda again!

Early Saturdays after a week of 6ams was never going to be too regular!

Therefore, 53miles Mon to Fri, tomorrow off, and 13-14 Sunday then the cup final (on tv!) seems ideal.

• Options
    Ha proper racing! And here I am using a park run as my main focus for next 12 months to nail times down. 

Progressed from 5m @ 30km pace, 1m @ tempo and 1m @ 10km. Alternating weekly with a 4m true tempo pace. RPE about 7/10 today.  

Aiming for 70m this week. 8.7 tomorrow and 12ish Sunday with some MP segments. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

In 7 years of this thread, I think that's the first time anyone has ever used the term "30km pace" :):):)

Parkruns serve their purpose don't get me wrong. But you can't beat that paid for, number on, no hiding place of a race that doesn't have kids in buggies, dogs and sillycourse :)

• Options
    ALDALD
    edited February 2017
    Until I can beat all the guys with kids in buggies I'm sticking with it. Some kids under 2 are being motored to sub-18 runs. It's disgracefully quick  :(

ha 30km pace is a happy medium between Mara and half Mara. Feels like a decent clip but comfortable and a really nice pace to ease into tempo / 10km later on. 

Btw i know you get anxious with  things that aren't in normal order so I'll do my best to make consistent reference to it so it's familiar to you lol
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

If you wouldn't mind :)

The maddest one I heard of at a parkrun was some woman using huskies! They literally dragged her along to a time about 2mins quicker than her actual usual.

Think they invented a new category, CX or something,for canine assisted!

You'd be gutted if you fancied a win, or a race, and some goon is basically cheating like that. Not a great deal different from being towed on a motorbike :)

• Options
    Canicross races are well established even beyond parkrun! Even has its own websites and governing bodies!

Liking the sound of 30km pace :-)
  • Options
    Morning all. A question - do your run tempos / intervals in racing flats or normal running trainers? Recently have only been racing in flats but have read because of less cushioning and higher flexibility around the ankle, they can help to strengthen lower leg muscles and potentially prevent injury if used for faster workouts too. Used to do all "sessions" in flats but for some reason not doing that right now.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    For me it's longest run, recovery runs and odd hill session in trainers. All the rest is in racing flats.
    When going particular well, it's all in flats.
    That idea was around in a book called 'Winning without Drugs'.
    Not quite as extreme as minimalist shoes. My brief encounter with those got me injured and the shoes in the bin.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Early days of this thread ald, i did even racing in normal trainers!!

now, always do tempo and reps in the racers, as well as races.

in fact i keep meaning to sort replacing this pair of adios 2. They have about 800miles in them now and are holey!

difficulty is that they are long discontinued, and it's all a minefield with adios boost, adios boost 3 etc

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty much with Ric on that one. Definitely cushioned shoes for the long and recovery stuff. Flats (well Asics DS trainers in my case which still have a bit of support) for reps and races, unless off road. 

Tried the new Bracknell pr this morning; mega tough course. Most weeks since they moved to it no-one has broken 20. It's dried out a bit now so a couple did today and I was just behind in about 20'13. Actually felt ok with that time which seems a bit odd as about 6'30 pace for a parkrun.
  • Options
    Have ran everything in my one shoe I was wearing at the time. With my injuries and what not I've use more stable bulkier shoes. Brooks Glycerin and Nike Structure

Ran all my PBs in heavy clumps and all training now the same. Even my track 10km last year :)

I think I like that comfort and unless I'm on XC or consistently running track I wouldn't be in spikes or flats just yet...

Good luck to those in the nationals 
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    Mainly trail shoes for me. Generally racing flats for tempos and track, and cushioned shoes for LSRs. Sometimes used cushioned for tempos, just to get the benefit of less weight when actually racing!

Nice parkrunning Pete - what makes the course hard?

Actually ran today! 6.4M off-road and the hip behaved itself. Just a mild twinge toward the end. That at least makes double figures for the week. Bloody Strava has me on 99.8M for the bike so will have to go out tomorrow even if I run  :)
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Cheers Dachs. The half was full beans! Haha. Onto the next one though. Good luck at the national.

Reg, why don't they just look at your X-ray there and then? Strange is that. 

I was trying to work out 30km pace too. If I'm trying anything a bit fast ill usually put something a bit lighter on. I don't think I own any 'racers' at the minute. Tempo boosts being the lightest that I prob wear. 

Ok week this week considering last weeks half. I did 10 on the treadmill with HR at <75% on Tuesday which ended up being 62 mins despite it being like an oven! HR might have been low but it didn't do my legs any favours for Wednesdays 15 at 6.2X pace. 
    I spent all day on Friday talking myself into doing P and Ds 12 with 7 tempo. Guts were playing havoc and it was an absolute slog from 2 miles onwards. Averaged around 5.35 for the 7 but it wasn't pretty. 
    11 today including the local parkrun. Planned on a social run with a v55 pal so first 2 miles around 6.10s then decided to see how many I could go past in the last mile. Would've been 3rd if I'd took my barcode and enjoyed coasting past the masses who were on deaths door. :-) 

Im top right in all blue. 
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    The Bus said:

Nice parkrunning Pete - what makes the course hard?

Bus; Bracknell pr has lots off road, twisty paths mostly uphill through woodland, tight turns and traffic problems on lap 2. I also expect it is measured a bit long; although my Garmin had it spot on 5k, on most courses it registers a bit less, especially when there are some woodland sections. They have recently changed the courses both there and Homewood to make what were already tough pr's the hardest in the local area. Bit annoying they happen to be my two nearest! Have a look at the times on those 2 courses and you'll see what I mean and also easily be able to detect when they changed the courses!