Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Xc nationals for me today.  An unmitigated disaster.  Yesterday had shooting pains in my leg which was odd. But they weren't there today so decided to run.  Bad mistake.Had a useless warm up of about a mile at crawl pace  Got off to a decent start though and settled but within 2 miles I was feeling pain in my leg which seemed to cause glute pain and tightness. It blared at me on the inclines or in the boggy bits.  I eased off a bit so I could finish strong rather than pull out. I was getting passed by many.  My coach could tell I wasn't feeling it because instead of throwing my gloves to the side I stopped took them off and handed them to him.   Then at mile 3 my guts start churning.  *please look away now if eating*. I'm getting agitated I'm about to have an incident. I fart but it's just a fart. Result! My guts keep churning and I'm approaching  significant issue.  It's clear I'm needing a stop but I'm in the middle of a race with thousands of racers and spectator sport lining the course.  I spot a woodland bit and surprise those around me as I go off course and head for the woods.  I make it with seconds to spare. Shit! Literally, After foraging for leaves I head back to the course and join in (exactly where I stepped off). I had been stopped for a couple of minutes.  I try and motivate myself to battle all these around me and get into mini races to get me back into race mode, but the truth is my race ethic was left back in the woods.  I no longer cared, I ticked off the next 4 miles at Ave pace,  Occasionally someone came past and cut me up so I demonstrated a turn of pace to send a very sharp message out. I saw the race out with a decent sprint finish but it was a wasted effort.   Finished 333.  People I beat a few weeks ago finished in the top 120.   Not good both on glutes issue and a "don't have a shit in a race" type way either.  Will review the upcoming races this week but might have to pull out of inter counties now.
    saw the results and some mixed results from others in this parish but will let them tell their stories. Only managed to see Simon as couldn't see a reading roadrunners tent for Dachs.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Quite an eventful race Dean. Well done for finishing the job deal.
     Gut and leg problems, it doesn't get much worse than that. Then again, from my perspective, XC is bad enough for me not to go near it to start with. 

Back to the shoe item. Scott, you do well to run fast in your clumpers. I did once run in support type trainers, but gradually moved towards a more soft cushioned type. Racers for me knock off 15 seconds per mile.

The race shoes I find now are a lot better cushioned and supportive than I found in the past. I sometimes change the inner sole for the ones from my trainers. That adds some comfort.

Currently I have a pair of racers which have yet to be used. With these ones I've adapted an inner sole which has the effect of putting the cushioning on the forefoot and ensuring my heel is held properly in place.
    Lightest shoes I've had. They weigh all of 115grms each.

🙂

• Options

Wow, Dean. Must be something in the Nottingham water. Well done for actually getting back into the race and finishing. Chalk it as one of those things and good luck on the niggle healing fast!

Given what most have said, I've ordered a new pair of Saucony Fastwitch. Were always my 'go to' flat in 2010/11. If nothing else, sure the mental placebo of running in a lighter shoe will see me to fast tracking my times back down again.

For info - PB in 2011 for 10km was 36:15min and for 5km 17:33min. I'm in sub 19 shape for 5km at moment and improving workout times (with same RPE) every week. Hoping by end of summer to be back in that shape again, then be setting new, all time, PB's from then on.

• Options
    Sounds like sciatica Dean (and shitica!). Well done for persevering, and I now have a race result scenario better than you - in the only race I ever had to take a dump in (fell-race) I still came 21st :-)

Hip feels OK today, so tempted to try a 10M later instead of a longish bike ride.
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Dean, that doesn't sound like the best race at all. Well done for finishing at least. I did wonder whether I'd see you on the way round. There was a Stoke vest nearby, but didn't look like you. I suspect you might have been taking a shit in the woods when I went past.

We had a tent, but no flag, hence the lack of finding us. We were opposite the Saucony sales tent, not that that is any use now.

So, yesterday. Knowing it would be a fair drive up, I had a light jog before I set off to make sure my legs had had some movement. Got there, and warmed up, but legs felt heavy, as I'm training through XC races this season, so had done plenty of miles already this week. Bit of a panic, as I've picked up my teammates number, but he doesn't appear until 10 minutes before the gun.

Course consists of a small, medium, large and extra large lap, and I find it impossible to do the maths of this in my head.

I'm determined to try to get a fast start up the hill, and initially it feels decent and I have some space, but we all funnel down into the corner and for the first km, you are essentially stuck where you are. I have no idea where I am, but I can see a few markers that mean I'm in a reasonable position. 

The good bits are fine to run in, but the bog is a challenge, and I don't cotton on to the trick of running through the clumps of grass until late in the race. Still, I'm not losing positions in the mud, which is good for me. During the medium lap I pass a local runner who was about 1:30 ahead at the county champs, and who I've never beaten. Must be in the right place. Recognise some people around, and I'm clearly having a solid race.

Difficult to describe the rest of the race. It ebbs and flows, positions change and change back, and my stomach tightens into the beginnings of a stitch from halfway ( I never have stitches), but the problems Dean suffered from don't arrive. The bog is awful, the steep hill in front of the house not much better, but fortunately there are still places you can open up.

I lap a Vegan Runner, and resist the urge to tell him that if he ate meat he'd be up with us.

As the race comes to an end, the local runner comes back past. On the downhill sprint finish, I pass two people, which is good, but simultaneously get passed by about eight, which is less good. Finish in 190th in 44:47.
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    I had harboured hopes of getting close to the top 100, but looking at the names, there's not one person in that top 100 I could realistically beat. Seems it was a strong year. There were some pretty decent names around me, including people who finished close to me at Wokingham, so I will happily take that on a tough (in places) XC. The southern runners around me finished between about 50th and 80th at the Southerns last month, so given my only outing at the Southerns I was about 150th, it's a big improvement. Overall, pretty happy.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

Sounds a whole lot of fun chaps :)

The chance to feel absolutely mediocre in a massive field, on a horrible sapping course, with some niggles and the squits on top. Gorgeous B)

ALD, is the muscle guy physique reducing down a little to more classic weasley build? Or are you aiming for the best of both worlds, muscles and faster?

A few weeks ago, I did a horribly steep section on a run that peaks with a view of Wycombe's ground. Did it in reverse this week, and it's easier!

Gradual trailly start, short field with a climb, then a steeper climb up a ploughed field.

Having said that, I still clocked 10min miling at one stage, slightly feeling the hip, and I drifted off imagining how hard Bus must work to get even his 8:xx miling on the mountains he runs.

7.11 average today for the 13. That's usually sub 7, but not with this sort of section!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Good run Dachs. There was a guy in my old club who finished around 130th. It's horses for courses I guess. There's you with a sub 70 HM, and here's someone who's scared of running a road race longer than 10k.
    SG, I suspected Bus had the 'dog and doctor' in mind with that 15 over mud and hills :o .
    I settled for a ten miler today. Difficult just plodding along to start with, like nothing wanted to work properly. Maybe it was a bit cold.
    Never felt easy anywhere but without noticing, the pace had increased, even up hill.
    The last couple of miles are mainly down, and only then once I'd put some effort in did things flow properly. 
    The average speed of 7:36 minute miles covered all paces from outside 8 minutes down to sub 6!
    Man U, one nil up  :)

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Don't worry Ric, some of us are too scared to race over 5miles :p

2-1 now, having been 2-0 up. Hummph

• Options
    Wish I could do 8 min miling on mountains SG - even downhill  :p. Nice LSR ! Likewise on the 10 Ric.

Good work Dachs - sounds like a tough day at the office!

Feeling quite pleased as I've just managed a easy paced but hilly 10.5M , with no hip pain. Felt hard work mind - longest run for 3 weeks and half of this week's mileage in one go.  We'll see how it is after...
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    3-2 SG.
    Scott, commiserations. Put to the sword by the man with the Samurai hairstyle. 

🙂

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Great to have a trophy in the cabinet again even if Jose is as moody, miserable and arrogant as ever!

Solid XC Dachs and an unlucky but still gutsy (in more ways than one :) ) run Dean. That there is an xc race where you guys finish 190th and 333rd does leave me thinking that the ones I participate in really are mickey mouse.

Good training runs Ric and SG and great that you're on the way back Bus.

Proved how hard the local pr course is now by following up my 20'16 5k there yesterday with a 38'26 10k on our new hilly club monthly 10k course. Just the 20 seconds a mile quicker pace over double the distance. Must run a super easy course soon to boost confidence.
  • Options
    Ric - I had a few bob on Saints to win 3-2 aswell :( Bet365 offered me a reasonable price to cash out when it went 2-2! I turned it down! 

Some good training and a mighty battle at the nationals Dean, on the big stage that was hard to push on and not drop out, so massive respect. Not sure I'm that tough

Dachs, XC is a weird one. I can't see measuring against times for the track or road races accurate unless you have a big sample vs someone in both types of races but it's an ok marker. One of the soton lads I've been keeping an eye on has done amazing latley and ran in for 20th.. He ran 15:03 at Armagh, could probably go faster but even so all the top guys are running under 14:30, his 15:xx is not that far in front several of you. Guess XC really suits him

Made me rethink about soton's Mahamed too who has beaten both 1st and 2nd in the Seniors a few times over XC. He's subsequently injured post the Edinburgh race

Anyway. SG tough solid running. Impressive mid long runs under 7m/m

Bus - Hoping your niggles go away

Reg - Hope that foot is sorted soon, you're hopefully right about it going away by the time of the results, frustrating as they can give you results there an then most of the time. An ultrasound might be better? X-ray for impact imo. I'm finding my plantar very tight and very much cramp like and really need to go sort it.

Ric - I'm not able to spend out 100 or so on new shoes right now so I will be looking at some cheaper probably karrimor shoes tomorrow (Anyone had experience). There are some lightweight ones so will see if I feel a difference. Having said that I still need to be careful they offer a good amount of support and also where my current ones are so worn they are bound to make some sort of difference rendering my whole 2 minutes writing this a bit of a waste :) I'm still using my carbon orthotics

Week ended on 39 miles with rest day today as I didn't have a long run planned in. I wrote on my thread as I am doing 2-3 sessions a week I am taking out my WU/WD mileage in counting as we are being tasked to have 15 mins either side of a sesh so it's a good 3-4 miles 3 x a week which makes my actual volume more like 30

Had a good week though and a notable increase in fitness. 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    Scott - 39 miles! How could you :)  Those cheap Karrimor shoes are OK, but you can usually find better on sale somewhere on-line in last year's colour/model etc

Pete - very nice work in the club 10k!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Pete are you a United man then? Got the job done! Unlucky Scott, there will be another cup final along...if you wait another 30 years!

Bus, good hear you're back, we'll need a few spring/summer hoons, so you need to be ready for those!

Scott, a more sensible comment, is that you seem to be going well again. Interesting on your warm up, I know a lot of people skimp, but I've always made sure since the Moz training start, that it's a strict 3miles before MP work, and 3miles+ strides for HM and up.

Having said that, strangely I can never get myself to do suchlike before a race. I never did escape that fear that I was losing some of the performance beforehand!

Oh well, 69-68-66 for 3 good weeks, this week has a 1mile race on Friday, so I look forward to getting my 2017 PO10 on the go. No pressure, 5.01 to beat, but a good run out is the priority.

Club move should be rubber stamped on the 1st, with the vest hopefully to arrive Friday, so good times.

• Options
    I've found a few pairs that I have used before at 60 ish quid and that's still a little more than I want to spend and can really afford, just as GF hours have been cut as agency worker and I covered rent last month and likely to again this month, over 700 miles now and I kinda have to say yes I do need shoes at some point. I'm not going to buy if they aren't suitable though but left with same question. Would they be better than my worn shoes even for a month or two.

2nd that Bus to you Pete. Crazy difference. Good solid 10KM
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Classic Pete 10k time there, that's more your style! Missed it first time, but well done.

Maybe see you on fri..

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Yes SG, Utd through and through as born and grew up about 20 mins walk from OT. Had a season ticket there before you were born! (well League Match book as they called it then :)) and kept it up for 10 years or so. Still go when I can and tickets available to ordinary members like me but only match this season so far the Reading cup one. More your classic SE armchair fan now!

Scott: Asics DS Trainers should do all you want from a shoe and only about £50 if you shop around. I found them a great improvement; they still offer some support and cushioning but feel very light.
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Great running at the national Dachs and commiserations Dean.
    Imagine that being your dilemma before every race. You can forget about how well you're going to do, it's all about whether you can get round without shitting yourself. ;-) 

Looks like some progress there Scott. Are you back training with the Southampton group? (parkrun pic from the other week)

great going Pete after a tough parkrun. Do you get tired or feel a bit leggy and is it just a case of battling through it? Impressive none the less. 

Promising too Bus! Do you never keep the routes really flat for a week or so until you feel 100% confident it's passed?

Went out yest afternoon and did a short progression run to make sure Fridays was a blip. Even with 11 or so miles in my legs from the morning run I got from 6.10 down to 5.17 in a monsoon for a 29 dead 5 miler. 
    Went out today and planned to see if I could string a few miles together at the bottom end of my threshold zone. Basically 11 miles out and back on the canal with a nice 15-20mph tailwind for the first 11. 
    Got to 8 miles and approaching a section where it is always packed with the angriest bastard Geese and Swans I've ever come across. I've turned round before at this point as the buggers go for you. 

On approaching I spot a young couple with a pram and then an old couple in front who are in single file prob to get past the angry birds. I pass the young couple and just as I try to pass the fella his wive walks right across my path. 
    I very nearly flatten her but just about miss her but that means I land my foot on a sloppy bit of goose shit and hit the deck and go sliding down a grass bank that was layered in the crap of about a 100 birds. I literally scraped it up off my leg and flung it on the floor. 

Old dear was all apologetic as the young couple pissed themselves no doubt. Told her it was ok and that I only had another 14 miles to go as I surveyed my cut knee, hip and hand. Wiping the sweat off my face for the next hour plus with hands plastered in bird shit wasn't much cop and when I turned at 11 miles I nearly walked home when I felt the force of the wind. 

All in all though it ended up a really solid run with 22 miles in 2.16 and my HR being 10bpm lower than my ave for the marathon. I just hit 170+ at the very end as I went up a hill whereas last time I ran the marathon, 170 was the average for the whole thing. 

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Mattt; Feel more tired and leggy just reading about your exploits than running mine :) Great effort when up against all that crap!
  • Options
    Got to admit Matt, that is funny! Hope it doesn't hurt much!! Goose fat works for channel swimmers, so maybe the shit will help recovery for runners??!!

Oddly, with this most recent hip thing, it's made worse by running on the flat - no pain at all on up or down-hills. I'm sure any sensible physio would tell me that can't be the case, but it seems to have worked!

Scott - some of the Karrimor road shoes will be fine if they fit you properly and you choose sensibly. You'll still be far quicker than 99.9% of us running in pricier shoes!!!
  • Options
    Matt, with SG talking about the mile race on Friday and you talking about goose shit, reminds me I should go down the goose shit track and maybe try a few faster laps to guesstimate a pace to go out at.

The 1 mile rankings are thin at the moment: fastest V50 is 5:39. Interestingly, the guy who has that has a 24-2 losing record against me on po10 and the only 2 times he has beaten me are at the Ealing mile.

http://www.runbritainrankings.com/rankings/rankinglist.aspx?event=1M&agegroup=V50&sex=M&year=2017

SG needs to go sub-5 to top the rankings

http://www.runbritainrankings.com/rankings/rankinglist.aspx?event=1M&agegroup=V35&sex=M&year=2017

• Options
    Thanks Pete, 1st pair I just looked at looked good and 40 quid a bargain, then I saw they were womens! Ideally need to try before I buy so will scout today and purchase online if I can. Thanks

ML - Yes, I can't always make group sessions but I'm training under Steve Phillips now so he will still set me sessions, he's had great guidance under Mick Woods himself and takes advice and theories from him I believe. I was involved with Pete Haynes a while back who coaches Mahamed but that was more the steeple technical stuff I had a small attempt at last year but didn't amount to anything. The other big group is the 'rod squad' who has the likes of Matt bennett, Alex Tueten and co in. I won't be graduating there anytime soon

You've been bashing some big long runs out and put on a good show at the blackpool HM. That recent run could almost signal marathon PB shape and Manchester could well be interesting

Long run for me done today. 10.3 miles. 
  • Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Good running folks from everyone by the sound of it.  Unlucky Dean with the stomach issues - I've encountered that a handful of times on training runs, but thankfully never in a race!

I ran 2 miles this morning.  First run in 9 days.  Could still feel the knee towards the end.  Not painful as such, but I think it would have got worse if I'd been going for longer.  Frustrating...

• Options
    Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

;) Nightmare CC82 isn't it. Hope it gets better, 2 miles though at least for starters. Matt - brilliant stuff on your run. Makes it interesting at least!!

So the National XC. Got up there early as the missus was team managing Bedford women's team. Had the kid in tow too, we had someone lined up to look after him for a bit when we were both running. Enjoyed some of the other races, some good top 3 places for some of the Herne Hill kids and a win in the U13's. Course looked interesting to say the least. My leg felt great running home Friday night, pretty pain free at last. But as the race approached it started to ache a bit again and when the race started I knew it wasn't going to be fun!

Couple of other excuses - old spikes with a few I couldn't get out - only had 5 15mm spikes in total, when ideally I needed all of them to be 15mm. Had a bit of a sniffle too, could tell when I started I didn't have much in the tank. I suppose I moved through most in the last lap. The muddy bits were a nightmare and there seemed to be Tonbridge AC fans all over the course! And then along the top on the last lap I had a massive finishing sprint with this other runner - must have looked funny as everyone else was running down in 'normal speed'. Virtually fell over the line in 416th and then Dean came over as soon as I finished, nice to have a word and dream of the summer and track running!

So as expected really, perhaps a bit worse. Leg doesn't feel too bad today considering. It was a decent weekend and a massive piss up after with the team and a few mates I hadn't seen for a while. Really can't drink anymore though. Not too bad for dean considering his stomach issues, great run for Dachs too, but half marathons and xc generally dovetail quite well - if you can do sub 70 and all the training that entails then you are going to do well over the country. So I probably haven't really trained properly for 3 weeks now and boy it shows on courses like Saturdays. Intercounties is going to be interesting - at least I'm 9th on the list and the runt of the team. I said 'runt' ;)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Phil, if it's as wet as lunchtime, beating 5.20 and going top 3 will be an ask!

Simon, another decent turnout in the circumstances by the look of it! If the three of you, including a sub 70min half man are barely making headway in the standings, I think it says it all!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

Will do another tempo tomorrow, progression so far has been

• 5m MP
    • 5m MP with every 5th lap HMP
    • 6m MP through to "hard"
    • 6.5m MP
    • 2x2m HMP

A few options to move to tomorrow, 6.5m MP ending harder, 40mins MP/HMP alternating, 2.5/3m HMP x2

What do we reckon if anyone's around tonight?

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    SG, I reckon that once fit to this level, it's an idea to run at HM pace then chuck in surges lasting no more than 20 seconds. Gives the basic tempo an extra element.
    I'm planning a session of sorts tomorrow. Probably be 8 to 10 miles of fast(ish) 400m reps with half a minute jogging in between. I'll cover more elements that way as against a flat effort.

🙂

• Options
    If you are looking towards Friday then shorter, faster session. You need to do a bit faster than HMP.