Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Signature?  :)
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • I know Pete is in a bit of pain right now but I am suffering from too many mentions of the scum.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Ric; She turned left straight into my rear wheel as I was going past. The rear wheel came clean off on impact. I went straight up in the air and landed via her windscreen on my right side hence all the damage there. If I had been a split second later she would have driven straight into my body.

AG: was perfectly light as was after 8am when it happened. I have a headlight on my helmet but not even any need for it then. She blamed the sun in her eyes for not being able to see me! So presume her style is to just plough on at give way junctions if she can't see properly to ascertain what is coming!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    alehouse said:
    Signature?  :)

I'm not even sure if it shows on all formats...the little bit under your posts saying pride is permanent, pain is temporary, with an "aley" at the end :)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

Pete, sounds like a panicked idiotic response.

No comfort at all to you, but reminds me of a guy at work a while ago having some clown smash into the back of his car by some woman who was "distracted" by a dog on the pavement!

• Jesus Pete - there are some right feckin moron drivers out there (presuming you weren't wearing a cloak of invisibility of course!) Hope it all heals ASAP.

Would post more, but I seem to be having a bout of some form of RSI making my shoulder painful to type or use a mouse, but just to say some good running going on, cracking session SG and I know what you mean about missing the off-road stuff Reg. Double for me today - everything hurts!!
  • Been looking at the instructions for Reading and it is going to be a cock up. I have a red number which is the third wave and the time span is from 1:25 to 1:45. Can't fathom that out at all, they asked for an estimated finish time and I said inside 1:30 assuming there was a 1:30 pen but no, they have to make one pen for 1:25 to 1:45 and that is just such a range. Suppose I'll just have to ensure I am at the front of the pen. 
  • When I did Reading I was in that pen, I think, Phil, as I was definitely under 1:30 but hadn't put sub 1:25. There was a woman in it who clearly wasn't even going to go that fast, as she was doing the relay and they made her start in that pen even though she didn't want to. However, it was good in the end because it made me do the first mile nice and steady and I ended up getting a massive PB (at the time) of sub 1:25 and beating Samir. So it may not be as annoying as you think.

Sorry to hear about your accident Pete. That sounds absolutely terrifying.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

They changed the direction of the start since Lit's year there, although it's hard to remember whether it made it less congested or not, as i'd managed to slip onto the "elite" start by the merest of margins, on the non publicised actual entry criteria. I didn't feel rude for long though, upon seeing loads of dainty and old women who were absolutely cavalry charged immediately!

I remember being a bit gutted as at the other start they'd had proper "elite" toilets, whereas this one, had nothing, and had tonnes of easy to "Go wild" places anyway!

Could have done with that the previous year, when I still remember the panic that a massive flood, had cut off the "last min pooers field" from being an option, unless you wanted to swim across.

Still can't believe Samir led the race for half a mile! That meltdown of going from sub 5 pace, to a dribbling mess is one I can only quantify against my Wycombe half. I dare say he ended in better shape though in fairness, but a real severe lesson learnt!

Although what was much more embarrassing, was that i'd offered to give him a lift to the station about 4-5miles away, and 30mins later, with some insanely dodgy directions, we ended up back at the stadium!!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Pete, that's awful news.  Shocking how little attention some people seem to pay.  Completely unnecessary set of injuries now, but I suppose it could have been worse.  Fingers crossed for your recovery.

Simon, I must admit to having been a little surprised when I saw where you were in the field.  I watched the video, and caught a glimpse of you, and thought you looked comfortable, so wondered if you'd run it at a relaxed pace.  Clearly not.  Still, you know you're lots better than that.

Dean, it's difficult to know with XC whether you're in the right ball-park.  However, I'm kind of inclined to think that the bloke you refer to might have been more the outlier here.  Looking at some of the names I recognise around me,

place 180 (7 seconds ahead) beat me by almost 2 minutes at the county champs, was 46th at the Southern Champs and has a 31:30 10K to his name.  Place 181 (6 seconds ahead) has a sub 15 5K and a sub 9:30 3K steeple in the last year.  Place 185 (3 seconds ahead) ran a sub 32 and a sub 70 in the autumn.  Place 188 (2 seconds ahead) was 3rd and beat me by 45 seconds at Wokingham – he was running in our group before he suddenly accelerated off the front like he’d been jogging.  Place 194 (3 seconds behind) is a fast improving young Southampton chap who has been very close in the league XC this season and was only 30 seconds behind at Wokingham. So it's very hard to know really, but I will accept your belief in me and aim for better at the Inter Counties!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

pete.  my last post crossed with your bad news.  i wish you a speedy recovery.  concentrate on getting fast again and consider yourself lucky you are able to walk away from it.  hope you are back on it asap. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Pete. That explains everything. She was clearly racing and cutting corners. Her excuse has put her right in it. Undue care and attention...
    Problem with many drivers is they only have eyes for other cars. Everything else is missed. And don't runners and cyclists know it.
    As a lad I over heard some office banter where a women was defending her gender's driving ability with, "You're only saying that because we're women". Only to get back, "No dear, I'm saying that because you're shit drivers".

🙂

• I'm not going to defend idiot drivers but accidents do happen and I think it best to avoid comments based on generalisations. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Controversial scenes from Ric!
    Luckily, i managed to avoid being another thread injury today, having clocked that some woman wasn't looking as she was gently moving forward across a pavement waving to a friend! I think the look of horror on her face when she looked up to see me 1cm off her car was enough of a punishment! I'd hopped out the way though.

Nice run though, 10miler at 6.43 average!

On another note, the Datchet vest doesn't half seem to come up large for a medium. Definitely larger than my Sandhurst and Marlow ones.
     I wonder if i've overlooked how weasley a build i have these days and now need a small! The vest doesn't have the usual gaps at the top either, so in effect feels like a t shirt with the sleeves cut off!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Unsurprisingly I am quite happy to generalise based on gender, class, age, car driven. In fact I think it's the most important skill when on the roads. Profiling everyone you see. You can predict the actions or potential actions of most drivers based on all the aforementioned criteria. Even the time of day, is it a journey that person makes a thousand times? If they are pulling out of their own driveway/road. All these thing help keep you safe on the roads. That definitely includes gender, although it's very hard to tell visually when they are in a car.

Both men and women have their bad drivers but they normally exhibit a different kind of bad driving.

I haven't opened my Reading number, not sure if I need to but my foot is feeling better. I put down 1:17 so I fully expect that if I run I will be in the wrong pen!
  • Christ Pete - hope you get better soon. Sick to death of bad driving and the fact that it seems that the public at large, especially pedestrians still whittle on about cyclists on pavements in the papers - who kill perhaps 1 or 2 people a year?. So careful now on crossings after the Aldershot incident.

Dean/Dachs - glad it's my last xc, fed up with them now tbh. Saturday was a complete disaster, bit of a sniffle, bad leg, lack of decent spikes in and I think the lack of proper training and mileage over the last 3 weeks taking it's toll. I'm not really a xc bod, so I just nosedive as soon as the intensity of training dips. Shame as I wanted to be strong at the moment.

Can walk pain (well only discomfort really) free with my thumb jabbed in around the top of bum/small of back area - so will target that area with black nobbly roller!!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I'd agree with that Reg, important survivals tools on tow wheels, though statistically male drivers have the more serious collisions as a group.

I saw a van today which had a tally sheet of different road users like a fighter plane, with symbols for pedestrians, wheelchair users and cyclists. Not particularly funny I thought. I may add a symbol of a van to my bike after I slash its tyres.......

Shit run today - no energy. Went to the Doc about my shoulder too. He was no use whatsoever - just said he wasn't surprised it hurts because of the plate in it and take some painkillers!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Hang on Bus, have i missed you having some metal plate in your shoulder from years back?
    I'm afraid i always like to see cyclists where I'm not! If i'm a runner on a pavement, i want them on the road, if i'm driving, i brown my pants when i see them wobbling across roads, or 2 a breast on tight roads. Balancing on a couple of thin piece of rubbers sharing space with very heavy fast moving machines, especially without helmets and hi vis!

Or as per nightly occurrences, holding traffic up on 60 zone roads, resulting in the inevitablity of impatient idiots careering past them dangerously.
    But then it's hard to blame cyclists for what is a great green activity. I just fear for them!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    That danger element is one reason I do so much work on the indoor bike. And that I don't like wet and cold conditions.
    Worst roads for cycling I find are the one's which are 40/50mph limit. At least with a 20/30mph limit road, there's not a mass of difference in speeds between bike and motor vehicles. The faster roads just give the motorists ammunition.
    For what it's worth, I'm only prepared to hold up traffic for a few seconds before getting out of the way. Yes, I know my rights, but not much use if...
    Shame the shoulder is playing up Bus. I too had a duff run this morning, but that was because I'd already done 45 minute on the indoor bike first, and had been awake since 3:30am.
    I also went to see the doctor, but only for a chat and to get a mass of prescriptions for all the drugs I take. 
    He also mentioned I was his least troublesome patient. He's been my doctor for forty years so I guess he must have some idea by now.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That's a shift and a half Ric!

Right, mile race Friday lunchtime. I ideally want to do a  6&4 easy pair tomorrow so i can enjoy a Saturday doing jack. That shouldn't affect the Friday race should it? It's not a race i've been targetting as an A race or anything, so should be ok? The 4 would be midday, so pretty much a day rest anyway.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    SG, my training appears to have reduced my need for sleep to a daft level. I've never been one for late nights anyway, unless I was out fishing or running a 20 mile leg of the RNR.
     I doze off around 9:00pm on a normal day, which means I'll often wake fully in the small hours.
    Might cross paths occasionally with the lad who gets his head down around 2:00am
     I prefer early mornings tbh. In mid summer it's great. Broad daylight and no one around.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Yes SG - it was at the end of 2007 when I crashed a mountain bike into a tree  - shattered my collar-bone, broke two ribs and punctured a lung. Worst bike accident I ever had and no car drivers involved! The plate is quite pointy at the ends and seems to be giving me a right load of gyp currently, especially when on the PC. Its OK when I run though.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Deary me. That's 2 broken rib mentios from people on this page alone!

Obviously I had all that breathing fun for ages, but I fell once, and bruised ribs, and my word that was hard to breathe properly, so I can only imagine what a break is like on top!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I cracked/bruised my ribs the day before my first ever marathon. I still ran what is likely to be my fastest ever, but could hardly breath properly while doing so. Restricted performance entirely.
    Can't have been a fracture since the pain only lasted a few days.
    A week later I did a training run setting off at what felt like an effortless sprint. I had so much energy to get rid of, I did my normal 'long run' loop twice.
    Two and a half hours worth.
    Even now I wonder what I would have run if I'd the marathon that day. 2:30..something.

🙂

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I've never broken a rib, just so you know.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ric, that's up there with your world record resting heart rate ;)

Today's "goons encountered out exercising" story, was just the classic idiot head in phone not looking where going. Would have just let it go and run round, but he added to this irritating behaviour by weaving as well. From about 2cm away i loudly "encouraged" him to LOOK UP.
    My word he looked startled. 

You give them some allowance, as they aren't expecting some lankly bast to be zooming towards them, but they should as a minimum be aware of their surroundings.
    ps very windy first 2miles. Please can Ealing not be windy for this mile race tomorrow!
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I haven't broken any ribs but I did once break my collarbone. Can I still post on here?
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    I've never broken any bones at all.  What do I win?
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I think not breaking bones is winning Dachs.

Apart from fingers I haven't broken anything, unless I am walking around with a broken foot at the moment.
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Oh, I forgot about the time I fractured my heel and compressed my spine, spending a week in hospital, by jumping out of a window.  Ignore me.