Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Shouldn't that be, "If it were Aberdeen", Lit?

Anyway, great running by the thread, notably Ric (highest age graded at Staines...and a return to racing), and SC's 8/5 double.  Great run and report from CC.

Not sure about Sutton Coldfield at present, not least as I might not be selected. 

If there were to be a thread parkrun meet-up, can we have plenty of notice, please?

Calderdale relay, ML?
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Train = no parking SG  :)

Seriously though, given how good the train is from High Wycombe into "town", why would you want to drive? (peak week days in the morning if you have free-parking excepted of course!)

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    No, I think use of the subjunctive is optional and a question of style.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Interesting, Lit: as a key stage 2 English grammar and punctuation marker I would be required to give you nil points! Not that I always agree with either the marking scheme or the training on it! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Ah, the higher levels of written communication.
    Lost on all but about 1 in 1000 of the population. 
    Personally spaeking, all I can hope to do miself is tip out something which (that?) appears to make dense.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Shouldn't "key stage" have capital K and S Aley? Shocking stuff!

Ahem....anyway....6.8 to the station this morning. Very humid this morning!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Question of style Lit? What style is that? Chav english? ;)

Anyway, as I love a use of monstering, and combing out runs, we'll move on!

Won't do the 5k tonight, nothing really to be gained, and i'm not too fussed about just turning out for a social. Need to make sure i'm fresh for that saturday relay.
    There's 6 other 5ks in the series, as well as about 6 Battersea Park 5ks, so plenty of time. Not to mention with so long without regular racing there's no need to force anything!

6 this morning, even a flimsy sideless hi vis top felt too much, so a shirtless sweatfest in massively humid conditions. Legs back to fine again.
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Ric - I reckon the cycle in the afternoon on Sunday would have been a good recovery technique as well.  Good loosener.

Back to the track this morning.  Wasn't really sure how it would go as things were still feeling a bit creaky yesterday.

8x 1200m - targeting 4:15 (which is 35:25 10k pace) off 3-4 min recoveries (I took 3ish).

4:12.6 / 4:13.9 / 4:15.5 / 4:15.4 / 4:14.3 / 4:16.4 / 4:17.5 / 4:15.9

Legs were very tired on the last 3 reps and there was a little bit of slippage but really pushed it in for the last one and got a 4:15.x on the board again.  Very pleased with that 2 days after a 10k race!
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    I might have scope to enter a race in London area on the weekend of 4th - 6th August.

What's out there in the 10k - HM sort of range...?  Flat and fast would be good...
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    An HM in August CC, I think you'd be hoping for Scottish weather for that one. Nice reps, it's funny how we can raise our game when we know it's the last one.

I don't really care about pedantic grammar rules, as long as the basics are covered. Too instead of to, that's the level I operate at.

I make a lot of mistakes when I type though so I can't afford to start picking anyone else up on it.

Jogged 5 miles last night. Just a recovery effort but the HR was nice and low. I find using HR for recovery really helps. I almost want to keep it slow to keep the HR average down. Came out at 7:2x pace though so I am happy with that for a recovery jaunt.
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    The weather did cross my mind.  Maybe 10k at the most would be a good idea for a pale blue guy like me...

Maybe just go and enjoy a run out at Bushy Parkrun or something instead.
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    My recovery run yesterday was down at 8:24 pace Reg.  I was fannying about in the woods with loads of stop starting and tight bends etc.  But 7:20s would have been a chore yesterday!
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Is there a go to guide for races in and around London?  We have a couple of race calenders for runs in Scotland - Scottish Running Guide and the Scottish Athletics site itself but I imagine there are absolutely loads and loads of options on any weekend down in London Town.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

I've not really got much to recover from, running wise, so my recovery runs are more about injury prevention.

I don't really know the London scene but there will be several events on. I've used the Southern running guide and our own RW events section.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    This link should give you the options CC 

http://www.runbritain.com/races?&region=0001300000100003&month=01/08/2017

I like the look of the Regents Park 10k though have never tried it. Might be tempted to join you if you go for it and we are around that weekend. The Battersea 5k races are also really good; done a few of those and the course is super quick and standard very high. Only problem is they are Mondays so 7 Aug and guess you will be gone by then. 
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Cheers Pete - I'll check it out.

Scoped out a couple of options so far - Olympic Park 10k and Battersea Park 10k are on 5 August.  Battersea Park looks like the better of those in terms of being a faster course.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    CC, BP is our go to for a quick 5k. Although that has a couple of laps, so presumably the 10k is a straight 4 laps, unless there's more parts of the park they unlock!
    Quite early mornig job too? Unlike the 5ks which are evening fare.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    CC that August Battersea one is not a Sri Chinmoy run event which is the one's SG is referring to that start early on Saturday's for 10k or Monday evening for 5k. It is run by a company called "Run Through" which I'm pretty sure is not power of 10 (never used to be anyway). I think they are a fun runners type company and the only one of their's I did measured 9.6k; good for boasting your time if people think you did 10k but useless if you want a real 10k time. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That sounds pure "avoid" territory!
    We don't ask for much as runners, but the right distance, and a proper time are the absolute minimum aren't they?

Have been pretty lucky to have next to none of either, but I vividly remember a 10k at Henley, going well, pb for sure, coming down the finish straight in 2nd, and....oh...there's no clock, ok.... oh hang on, there's no bloody recording of times!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Like the old Penn 7 used to do - hand out bits of paper with your place on rather than have times!
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    The 2017 Battersea Park 10k races (by Run Through) are appearing on Power of 10.  I was worried about that too because I searched Po10 for the August results last year and it wasn't appearing.  Seems that whatever was the problem, they've sorted that out and got "licensed" or whatever the word is...

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    The Regent's Park one on 6 August looks like a decent option too.
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Lots of racing to catch up on there…

Usual epic report from SG there, and good to see you back amongst the prizes.  It was a bit sticky on Sunday, so a very decent effort indeed.  However, I am convinced that the right training will bring something a fair bit quicker out, depending on what you’re aiming for.

Likewise, nice 10K (plus all the other stuff) from Pete.  At this stage, that’s a sign of some pretty decent progress being made.

Ric actually racing is a bit disorientating, but excellent work nonetheless.  All in all a good day for thread prizes.

Re long runs the day after races – a 15 or so on the Sunday the day after a Saturday afternoon XC race is pretty standard for many over the winter, and I was certainly doing it this season.

Comprehensive report from CC as well, very evocative.  You can really imagine the scene.  I’m imagining everyone with big ginger beards, including the winner.    Second fastest 10K is not to be sniffed at.  You might have to move to somewhere less stupidly windy though.

Simon – your usual quality multi-racing action there.  I’ve often doubled up an 800 with a 3000 or a 1500 with a 5000, due to the way the Vets League timetable falls.  In the case of the 800 (and this chimes with Ric’s point above), I don’t think it affects me because I simply don’t have the legspeed to cause myself any after effects over two laps.

A parkrun meetup might work for me, but only if someone can give me a lift or if it’s in school holidays.

All about the Highgate Night of 10,000 PBs for me this week.  Start list came out last Friday, and the slowest male target time across the whole day is 32:40, so not going to be an event for the faint-hearted!  I’m drawn in the men’s D race, which means a 4 pm start time.  That works quite well for me in terms of getting there in time and then having a good few races to properly enjoy afterwards.  Got my motivational tune all picked, now just trying to fend off the usual pre-race cold that is trying to take hold.

• The Bus said:
    Train = no parking SG  :)

Seriously though, given how good the train is from High Wycombe into "town", why would you want to drive? (peak week days in the morning if you have free-parking excepted of course!)

Dachs said:

All about the Highgate Night of 10,000 PBs for me this week.  Start list came out last Friday, and the slowest male target time across the whole day is 32:40, so not going to be an event for the faint-hearted!  I’m drawn in the men’s D race, which means a 4 pm start time.  That works quite well for me in terms of getting there in time and then having a good few races to properly enjoy afterwards.  Got my motivational tune all picked, now just trying to fend off the usual pre-race cold that is trying to take hold.

bus, for Fulham parkrun I'd park at my office: just over a mile jog to the start. 

Anyone else going to watch Dachs? 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like Phil is the designated driver if we ever Fulham it!

Glad i aborted Wargrave tonight, the 2 runs today were pretty darn humid. Wouldn't fancy a 5k effort in that.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    CC82 said:
    My recovery run yesterday was down at 8:24 pace Reg.  I was fannying about in the woods with loads of stop starting and tight bends etc.  But 7:20s would have been a chore yesterday!
    Oddly enough this was my pace yesterday also. That also included the woods, loads of stop starting too. Creepy!

Today was another eight miles. Mostly sub eight pace. The warm humid conditions suit me fine.
    Tomorrow if it's warm and raining, better still.
    I'll keep the vest on, always.

🙂

• Good session there CC82, solid reps after a race. Dachs- I would have been in your race probably, but the masters relays got moved back a week annoyingly! Have a good one, the asking PB,s are well low now! Pressure on for me to make sure I get a sub 33 10k in there somewhere. Shame I'm missing out as I've only missed one so far. 

8 x 800 tonight at the rugby club, so 50m ridge of doom in each Rep, came out as 2.31,2.26,2.26,2.27,2.28,2.26,2.26,2.22. Well happy with that as I did about 10 miles running and 30 lengths (750m) in the pool last night. 

Going to to get soaked tomorrow looking at the forecast!
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Ric - no creepiness today as my 7 miler was 8:11 pace average this morning.  Legs feeling very heavy after a tough few days of Sunday 10k race, Monday recovery 5 miles, Tuesday "treble" of big track session, recovery run, strength session at the gym...

SC - those reps look ridiculous to me.  On the track they'd be good but on rugby pitches with a little hill.  Cracking stuff.
  • Cheers CC - Although I hate it, the ridge of doom is quite handy for training, good bit of leg work. Like I said, it's only about 50m and you do have the benefit of going down back to the start. Rugby pitches quite nice at the moment too - so it's OK to run on. Helps having Kimpton and Burling in front to try and keep within eyeshot!

Soaked going to the station today, but ok on the 4.5 mile London loop. Looks like after work I won't be so lucky.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I agree CC, that's an impressive amount of 800's there SC, and on top of all those pints, I mean other miles:)
    I've just returned from a 90 minute bike ride in heavy rain. I'd put that down as a decent recovery effort. Not that I needed a recovery ride after a sequence of 10k race, 17.5ml and 8 ml run on consecutive days.
    No, I felt like a bike ride, following the 15 mile run I did earlier today.

Sometimes if the training is going well, I find it best to take advantage of what appears to be enhanced recovery. When that occurs, I may as well ramp things up.
    On the other hand, if I wasn't recovering from training, I'd very well do less.

It why I don't follow set plans. At best they are calculated guesswork. The guess being if the subject has recovered from the previous session.

🙂