Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Blimey Ric - you're a man on a mission :)  As you say though, soak it up while the going's good!

CC - sounds reasonable for legs to be heavy!

Simon - quality reps!!!

8 miles hilly off-road for me at lunch. Boy was it wet - kind of enjoyed it all the more for that though! Pace was OK in the conditions too.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Top work Ric, So that's some week and I kind of get where you're coming from with the planning, however, I kind of like to have a general guide so that I don't do too much.

Nice lunch effort Bus.

My plan for running is to mainly run easy and not to run consecutive days, I want my body to have time every other day to repair itself. 

So I went out in the wet at lunch, I briefly contemplated going to the track but decided that I shouldn't be doing anything too sharp. I settled on doing a 5k tempo within an easy run. The tempo effort was pretty comfortable and I could easily have done another 5k but that's where I am trying to be sensible so kept about 10 beats lower than normal.

Tempo section came out at 6:1x and 6:4x for a bit under 9 miles in total. Pretty pleased with that. Feet and ankles don't feel completely stable though.  I reckon I need to do some strengthening in that area, particularly for faster running.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Reg, you're certainly being sensible as regards that injury of yours.

My own situation concerns almost constant monitoring of cause and effect of training.
    I followed a running plan once to the letter, and it worked. The initial reason to follow the plan was about avoiding injuries, but the pay off was a raft of pb's.

I have a plan now, it's that I'm playing out the components over very long time spans. I could say I've spent the last six months in a conditioning phase. Long run as a type of tempo was as intense as it got.
    Many runners do more or less the same thing every week, without realising for the body to adapt to training, it needs a bit of a shock first. Instead it receives a constant grind.
    I wonder if the plateaus which runners end up on are a result of the adaptive processes getting bored or something.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Anyway, I've been awake for the last hour,
    so could be about, to get around to giving the thought of doing something, the possibility of some consideration, perhaps.
    That's a line I made up a few years back to describe a managers faffing about procrastination.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Any reason for the sudden boot up Ric?

10 for me today, to vaguely keep the mileage up this week in between races.

Apart from a sudden "browning" of the pants when dropping my 2 days in new phone (ipod currently drying out, hopefully) and getting away with a very slight scuffling to the back case, it was no alarms, no surprises.

6.58 pace, so no wonder it felt easier than the last few weeks going a bit too keen. 

Had a few bits and pieces of tightness and stuff this week. And barely thinking about breathing/ribs! 
    I'm definitely back then ;)
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I've the first of a race series starting in just over two weeks, SG.
     By increasing the training at this stage, I've found I can get a better result.

It's like climbing a mountain. Do you hit the peak after climbing up, or after climbing down?
    Of course, it helps to be in the condition needed to increase the training in the first place.

6 miles for me this morning showed no accumulated fatigue from previous efforts.

🙂

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I think the peak is generally at the top of the mountain.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Exactly! that's why easing down prior to a race; as in doing less and less or nothing at all, could well be counter productive.
    The body takes this slackening off as a cue to go to sleep.
    My best races happened by chance when after a normal training session, someone suggested a race the next day.
    I sure wouldn't have blasted a 12 miler around the woods in the evening if I had a race the following day. 

I've just entered the resurrected Harrow Half Marathon. Apparently on closed roads. How?
    The last version cut across 32 main road junctions. 
    It was a great course though.
    Even now I drive along Village way remembering how it was my ambition to average sub six minutes for a half, and one day I hit that road at the ten mile point in 57:58, knowing it was flat downhill all the way to the finish. 76:36! Never in my dreams.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Sounds good - both the memory and the fact its been resurrected! When is it? 
    6.1 + 5.8 for me today. Heavy legs and mud this morning, but better tonight (legs, not mud) - though bloody wet!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    17th September.
    If I'm still ok, the time of year will suit me. 

Seems the event is being organised by my old club Harrow AC. I won't be too concerned about not running under their colours. Road races aren't their department. They do XC and track of which I do neither, or am ever likely to do again.

🙂

• Chris2304Chris2304 ✭✭✭
    After 18 months of lurking, I feel it's time to take our relationship to the next level and start making the occasional post...

I even read the stuff about parking cars ;)

I've just scored 3 months gardening leave, so will have some time on my hands too. The 'plan' (if you can call it that) is to increase the mileage a little (to c.40miles), but significantly increase the cross-training (cycling) in the hope of minimising injury risk. Oh, and I'll join my local club next week too.

One thing I won't be doing is any of the crazy 20x or 30x intervals. Maybe I just have ADHD, but how do you even remember what rep you are on?!?! Cricket umpires often have 6 pebbles that they move from one pocket to the other in order to keep track during an over. Maybe something like that?
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Hello Chris! My way of remembering which rep I am on (taught by a swimmer!) is that lap/length/rep 1 is A: think of all the girls' names starting with A (or boys'/countries etc etc); lap 2 is B etc etc. Helps with concentration and takes the mind off the pain, also!

Masters' Relays: not going. Got an email at 0:53 this morning to ask me to run in the M35 race so said no. Far too far to travel to give away nearly 30 years! It was hard enough being asked to run in the M55 race but we have no team for that due to last minute drop outs.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Chris, the parking gives the colossal thread readership a realistic taste about the real story behind being a local level racer. None of this super star effortless pb-ing from some of the thread ;)

It's funny with reps. Guy on FB was posting about 4x800 at 5k pace, which i was thinking was certainly a mild session. I used to do 5x800 under Moz which was a step up. Then people tell me they do 6x800.

One of my session plans has that 6x800, but followed by 2x400 and 2x200.
    Erm anyway, welcome (properly)

Aley, shame you're not involved. I guess myself and Simon the only threadsters then?  
    Had finished running yesterday by 9am, F OFF today, and up at 2pm tomorrow, so should let the aches and tightnesses ease a little!
    Will be interesting to see how the general vibe and standard of the day add up.

Our ladies are up (V55) at 10:30, and i've decided to be a good sport and get a lift with the early crew, so it's an 8ish set off (!)

Am a little more relaxed at this one than the Nationals, as clearly that was a long er course. Logistics will probably be just as awkward eating wise etc
  • Yes I'm still going - shame Aley isn't making an appearance, but can see why. Be interesting to see what you think (SG) of the course without the dog leg at the start and going straight up the hill. Soooo much better.  The parkrun tourism takes us to Daventry tomorrow morning en route to Sutton - so leaving at 7.20am for the 2nd week running!

Welcome Chris. Yes I hate losing count on reps..especially as you probably end up doing more than less through guilt.

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Hello Chris!

I generally keep count of reps by setting it up on my watch beforehand.  Put in (e.g.) 12x open reps with 60s recovery and just press the button at the end of each 400 rep.  Can't go wrong with that!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep Simon, am looking forward to it.
    The short leg was clearly the one to do at the nationals, so slightly shorter will be more fun! Not to mention the whole relay over a lot quicker!

You had 3 features to deal with.
    The down and up before the hill, the hill, the soulless part out to the dead end and back.
    Sounds like 2 of the 3 are gone!

Any idea what sort of turnout we get at this one compared to the finals? 
    Will have to look at the timings again. Presume there's races padding out 10.30 to 2, and not just a big gap?
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I don't stop the watch at all.
    Since 200's off a short recovery can be easily incorporated into a 'one per minute', job. I just leave it running, take a glance as I hit the finish line, and keep an eye on the watch as the seconds go 56, 57, 58, 59, (Number completed) 00.
    Or if feeling less confident, take off on 58/59 seconds. The time on the finish line looks better doing that.
    Can't be bothered with absolute numerical accuracy since it doesn't matter. What matters is not blowing a gasket within five reps of the start.
    Even after that, the session can be rescued.
    All it takes is to run a couple of the 200's much slower, but still on the minute mark.
    Remember, you have a whole minute to run 200m. 

Ten miles for me earlier. Could have gone further but reckoned I was on top of things.
    The heavy legs I keep reading about; has by reading about it, is almost certainly a symptom of glycogen depletion.
    Keep pushing the effort day in day out, and it gets used up. Takes more complex carbo to re-build the stores, than most runners realise.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    This is getting to that epic simmer where you'd pile out 10milers round the golf course every day old son.

Depending on how tomorrow goes, there's a chance of a quickfire follow up, in either a 2miler at Oxford on Monday (2 miler! what a novelty!), or the Cookham 5k Tuesday.
    Knowing me i'll probably feel knackered and decide recovery is more sensible! But probably a good thing the mind is hungry for it again.

PBs would be delightful, or at least be in the mixer, but there is a real delight in being able to just fancy a race, and turn out decently again.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    SG: ladies and M75+ are first, then M55 and M65 at 12:15, then your race. Pretty non-stop day. 
    Last year's results are here: https://www.race-results.co.uk/results/2016/
    Look up May 14th!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Welcome Chris, I do believe that I was on gardening leave and then between jobs when I first started posting here.

On the subject of memory, I find it quite hard with swimming so I rely on the watch. Last night was 7 x 600 in a 25m pool so that wasn't so bad but I started these long swims with 40 x 100m in a 20m pool, that's 200 lengths spent counting. 

This morning was another recovery run, didn't look at the watch but it came out 7:2x for 4.7 miles.

I have booked myself in for a sprint triathlon next week 750m swim, 20k bike and a 5k run. It's a para triathlon festival so it should be interesting to see all the disabled athletes having a go at it. I am hoping I don't get beaten in the swim by someone with one arm though.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Don't worry Reg - I've been beaten in half marathon's by a guy with no legs more than once! (Richard Whitehead!)

Welcome Chris!

Ric - nice idea about glycogen and tired legs, as that is the case for some but I'm reasonably sure it's not why my mine have felt so heavy this week as I eat plenty of carbs (too many probably!). Impressed you've done three double figure runs this week!

Off to the track in a mo - need to at least pretend to do some speedwork! Not sure what session, but thinking of 400s. I definitely need to put more effort into planning sessions more scientifically and actually put some form of longer-term schedule with target races together! I just find sticking to a plan really difficult - life gets in the way!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't have to be too major Bus, just think of a day or 2 a week as the "fast" stuff, and even if you have to edit the length of the session it at least "ringfences" it into the diary as such.

I'd have to get the tempos going again to have a real crack at the 5-10k stuff.
  • LOL Reg - I was knackered last week just doing 30 x 25 lengths, incredible how tough 'proper' swimming training is

SG - So the course should be. Down hill - up big hill - turn right at top and along to the stone - turn left and the turnaround point is just under halfway as far as it is to the long stage turn. Turnaround, back up to the stone - down hill, finish as normal.

Looking forward to it and giving it a good go, although the masters crowd is getting faster and faster!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Well, personally speaking this will surely be my best bet at competing, being at the entry of the age range!

I may have been semi delirious at the nationals, but didn't remember any turn once at the top of the hill, but i dare say i just don't recall.

Bearing in mind the dog bit was about half a mile (?), and if it's just half of the way from stone to gate of the long leg (2 mile, now trimmed to 1?), im trying to see how 2.4miles of that leg is trimmed?

Less talk of "big hill" please. I don't recall it as particularly big, it's more deceptive surely, and following the previous climb?
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Tough session today!  8 sets of 2 mins on / 1 min jog / 1 min on / 30s jog / 30s on / 30s jog.  Targeting around 5:40/mile for the "on".

Came out at:
    5:40 / 5:22 / 5:41
    5:40 / 5:29 / 5:28
    5:41 / 5:43 / 5:44
    5:39 / 5:35 / 5:32
    5:46 / 5:38 / 5:41
    5:38 / 5:32 / 5:39
    5:45 / 5:42 / 5:41
    5:41 / 5:39 / 5:30

Evens were a bit easier as going back and forth along a path - slight incline on the way out.

Still breathing out my arse after a 1 mile jog at about 9:00/pace at the end!  Hard work!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nice work CC, I am struggling to make sense of that session, is that about 8k of intervals at 5k pace?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Unusual session CC, nice paces though.
    That's a session that'd be pretty difficult to measure the paces on a track wouldn't it, as a minute would probably see you end up at about 363metres or something :)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Sounds a tough one CC - both in terms of effort and remembering what you are doing!

Simpler fayre for me at lunch - 8x400m (probably more like 401 as I was in lane 3 on the straights!). Wasn't expecting much, so the shite times (all 1:24, 1:25 or 1:23) didn't disappoint! To be fair, it was quite windy and wet and my back is playing up again, so on top of not having done any reps for ages I was just pleased to even do those with any consistency!

I also need to get back to some tempo work SG - used to really help!

Good luck you relayers and parkrunners tomorrow!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I'm still of the frame of mind as to whether the speedwork or hill sessions make me or break me.
    When younger, it was obvious. Now it isn't.
    Unless totally unfit to start with, I reckon there's only so much force the older runner can cope with before a particular load ends up making them worse or simply leaves them the same, just more tired.
    Probably why so many older runners just give up. Confusion.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    You could well be right Ric. My natural tendency is to cut out speedwork though as I actually like hills.