Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Mee meep: in terms of cycling, are you aiming for the same heart rate as per running? Take it down 10-15 beats for an equivalent workout?

I've not done the F3 events, not great to hear of long courses, especially at dorney lake, it should be very easy to get it right!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

2hr 30 sheash! Mine is a 5mile pootle tomorrow, although I have my hard session on sunday, half marathon time. No pressure though...just enjoyable...yeah right!

Interesting on the Dorney Lake's Mee Meep. a couple of my club mates came out with a story that one race there they actually only had recording mats starting about 200metres into the race, so the chip time was completely pointless. Apart from that though must have been fast as they did mid 37 and low 38 respectively when generally they'd be amin or 2 slower each!

HJ,  will research in the next week, and make a definite plan. Not sure I could wangle the Dorney Lake 10k onto my club schedule...but I'll weigh it up!

The Andy 10k sounds interesting too, only problem with December is it could clash with the xc period, or be bad weather..but will look at that too.

One 10k I want to try next year is the Eastleigh 10k. Think it's around March. The standard is incredible there, I think the top 100 all break 37mins or something insane!

Will definitely pick a couple of good flat courses for Sep and October. I'll have the November to Jan period of xc racing for "enjoyable" fare.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

pootled a 5miler out today. First time I've ever run the day before a half, instead normally lounging around and feeling sluggish!

• mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

Good luck tomorrow SG, looks like it could be a warm one, that wont really concern you as you wont be running for very long! image Think of them poor buggers running for three hours plus!  What time did you do when you ran it last time? A few people have said its slightly faster than the Henley Half?  Have you got a min per mile pace in your head that you would like to do?

Hope the 2:30 run went well HJ! What sort of pace do you do your long runs at? Just i have read so many different views that it would be good to know what you think. Especially when you can run so much quicker than most people across all the forums!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Weather reports I checked suggest it'll warm up as the day goes on,  but should only be 18 at 10am-12. Should be fine compared to other times I did it.

Did 1:28:46 in 2006 but I was running way less back then. I'd say anything under 1hr 24 will be acceptable, obviously the closer to the 1:19 pb the better, but that was a very quick course. Coming around 75th in 1hr 19 there says it all... 1hr 19 tomorrow would get  top 10!

The strategy is get to the top of the steep hill at around 1 1/4miles in whatever condition I can, settle, then try and get down to low 6mins a mile pace. Push it on the downhill mile at 6miles, and then keep it rolling from there. I try and work to a general plan mentally of 5miles to get settled, 5miles to push the pace and 5k to hold on!

Dunno about Henley, would be surprised if it's faster though. Marlow is the real toughie locally, 3 or 4 steep hills including one at 8miles that burns!

• Yeah best of luck tomorrow, as long as its not very hot you should be ok. Yeah you probably feel better for the pre race run. Let us know how to goes.

Didn't quite make the 2h30 route was a litte off time wise and I was too shagged to drag myself round for another 12mins. Anyway 20+ miles cannot complain. So I guess that answers you question. In general running at 7minute pace or faster. Some sessions are just 7minute pace, some like today I try to finish stronger with 30-45 mins faster say 6:30-45pace, others I run around 6.50 all the way. I was tired today so ran at 7s and picked in up to 6:30 for about 3.5miles, but then died pretty rapidly...hence why I opted to miss the last 12. The purpose of adding the pickups is to improve strength in the back ended of the marathon (well at least in theory). Hope thats helpful, maybe gives you some ideas for when you are back?

I know you had entered burnham beeches half, have you run it before? You know what the course is like? I think it is slow, but want to get an idea of how slow? SG what about you, you run it?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ta fellas. Have done Burnham Beeches twice. I ran it as my second half in 2002 taking 7mins off my Wycombe half time first time round.! That can probably be put down to getting a bit more used to the distance.

in 2004 did it 2 mins slower than Wycombe.

So those stats don't really help, as I'd say Wycombe is probably tougher. Burnham is 2 laps, but undulating rather than having hills. There are a couple of inclines, but generally footing is better than wycombe. I'd say Wycombe would probably be 3-4mins slower than somewhere like Wokingham, so perhaps Burnham a couple of mins slower than a good flat course.

What you tend to always get at Burnham is the heat though. That can obviously sap you as well. Wycombe after a period of intense heat 2002 to 2006 I don't (touch wood) think has been on a really hot day since, whereas Burnham always seems to be!

Myself and Mee Mee have done one of our 5k series starting from the same school that the half starts from, but although bits are the same, i think the main route goes elsewhere.

ps that session shows me again why I don't want to do a marathon!

• Cheers, makes me question my sanity too!!! Ta for the info on Burnham I think I'll still aim for a PB on this course from what you've said, not run a hlaf since February so good chance I can get a PB or at least close. The guy who won in last year in 1h14 has also run 1h07 and some very quick marathons...maybe it was very hot last year or he was a little out of shape?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Just checked the results from last year...a guy won it in 1hr 12...but I presume you mean the guy in second doing 1hr 14 has runa  1hr 07? One hell of a drop off!

There's 2 people in the top 15 I know of and they both look 4mins down on times I know they have run, so I'd say it must be a bit on the course and a lot on the heat.

• Ignore me!!! I got a little confused, it was the first placed guy, I may have exagerated! But still thats a fairly large amount...looked at a few other results. 2-4mins seems about right depending on heat
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

If you're after a 2hr 36 marathon, you must be thinking  a duck into the 1hr 12-13 range could be on. If you're a good heat runner, Burnham could be ideal fare for you.

It is fairly sheltered in the main, due the dense woodland in those parts

• mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

Burnham is by no means a pb course, the heat like SG says is always abundant! It can be pretty shaded in areas but you would no doubt be on the racing line so would probably miss most of it!

Ran it the last two years and had the worst run of my life last year when i shouldnt have started, the only running induced injury i have had in two and a half years, (Tendonitis) Ended walking in just to collect a medal! 

In my head i still havent given up hope of running there this year, got to be optimistic!

• Really you could be back that quick? Thats fantastic news, you canmaybe just jog it round?

I would say however dont rush back if there is a chance it might damage your ability to run long term. That race will always be there!!! Let us know if you make it, we'll have a good chat before/after race
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Yep echo the above Mee Meep. If you're in healed shape by then could be worth a jog round, but not worth putting the comeback on hold to do. A nice "carrot" for now though.

up at 6am horrendous adrenaliney/stressy feel..yep must be a half marathon day!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

1:24:49 today. Think it pops into the "that'll do" mixer image.

4mins quicker than Wycombe 06, but a 5min drop off from Wokingham in Feb. Can't really compare the two to be fair, as Wokingham was such great conditions, flat smooth roads, bigger event, well renowned quality field, hence 1hr 19 being 75th, and the humidity was so low that I didn't need a drink in 13miles!

Think the hill, the uneven footing, the very undulating course and the miles pretty much run on my own meant I was happy not to push it today. Also the training has really been stacked to shorter distances. Most people suffered a 2-3min drop off, and I think I took the foot off the gas a bit. Spent a few miles midway coasting behind people I shouldn't have, even having a chat about running!

Still..half marathon number 16 chalked off, it's always good to simply rack one of these up!

Will post the splits very shortly...I completely bungled them due to my automatic 1mile marker often coming up before the sign...so I have a lot of 0.01second splits to work through!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

right...splits as accurate as I can remember with the automatic 1mile going off too early in places

6:20  (monster hill...too quick a start), 6:48, 6:05, 6:12, 6:21, 6:13, 6:01,(good downhill) 6:42, 6:35, 6:36, 6:45, 6:50, 6:43,

I think that's how they work out...I completely bodged some of the times...and a lot of the miles came up as "0.01 second", meaning I couldn't see what the pace was properly image Didn't help the pacing.

Looking back at that that's one heck of a mid race drop off,  sometimes it's too easy to take the foot off the gas, especially when you're running on your own. 

Still...we roll on..Datchet 5k on tuesday. I feel fresher than I should writing this an hour and a half after finishing! Can't always pb, and I knew this little cluster of races wasn't going to provide anyimage. In hindsight throwing a half marathon into the middle of a packed 5k series wasn't the best!

• steve, i have just done my slowest 10k at bupa sunderland, granted the course was windy and a bit weird but i made it 37.13
    5.42 5.41 5.50 6.01 6.24 6.17 and 1.14. cant really explain it but felt up for it, wanted low 35's but just didnt pull it off. point is running is such a funny sport its just how you perform on the day, back ot the drawing board for me
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

unlucky mate...that'a the beauty of this game, unexpected pbs and sometimes not being as fast as you'd like. I live just by the start of the wycombe half, so perhaps was a bit casual strolling over 45mins before the start image. Sure you'll smash through those 35s soon

At the end of the day pbs wouldn't be worth anything if they happened every time....every race goes into the next pb!

• S Bean, no worries on your race, as SG says, its another hard workout which will count towards next time. Any ideas why it just wasn't there today? Hard week at work? Bad sleep? Two little taper? Did you training, in particular speed work suggest you should be running a 35minute? I'm sure you'll come up with an answer for it. Better luck next time!!!

Mentally a toughie for you today SG, you knew it wouldn't be a PB, you've not been training for this kind of race and your probably more interested in the next 5km!!! Still great workout today matey. BTW if you still think cycling is lesser sport, check out ITV4 right now!!!
  • i have done 35.40 this year and 35.28 last year, due to work cant always pick my races til last minute. Strangley feel stronger at the track this year in training but only managed to race once this season, 4.39 for 1500 in windy conditions, think i could get sub 4.30.
    tbh my year has not gone as well in races as i expected, 2nd cometative year running
    last year did
    800 metres 2.12
    5k 17.08 and 16.52 at club event
    10k 35.28
    10 MILES 59.51
    half 1.19.51 GNR

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Haha, i only say that cos i can't cycle image. And you're right, the mental side is important...as i was loose in my times expected I suppose it was natural I just allowed myself to feel comfortable rather than pushing it. Last 5k of the series is Tuesday and I'm ready to go for that now. It;s traditionally the slowest of the 5..though that's normally as the fools measure it 0.1m over!  I'll be glad to get the summer series done, then start cracking on a Sep 10k.

On another note Harry, Maidenhead AC are looking a good option for a club to join. They have a good bunch of quality runners as it is, and their rep says they'll be dark horses in the XC series on sundays starting in Nov. I think Mee Meep said he's joining, so if you and me join as well as my pal who's currently at Marlow we'll have a good bunch in terms of age as well as pace. I'm tied to Marlow until the end of this calendar year, but I'd be looking at a changeover so I could race the first XC of 2010 in their colours potentially!    They have good facilities, their own track, and have the best junior section in the area....150 members apparently...compared to most clubs who don't even have one!

ps Sawney Bean, some good pbs there, the only one i'm ahead of you on is the half...just not todays image. Love that 10miler....bet you felt great at beating the hour.

• steve, what is moraghans thoughts on you doing a half on sunday and 5k on wednesday, only reason i ask is that there is a 5k on wednesday i might do but think it might be too soon,
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Oh he wasn't pleased with me doing a string of 5ks over 2months, let alone this week having a 5k on the tuesday, half today and 5k on tuesday image

I think you should be ok if today was a 10k, and you have an extra day recovery I suppose. Only thing is if you burnt it today despite not being as fast as you'd have liked, you may not be quite as fast on Wednesday.

I think there's a lot to be said for picking races and building especially to them...I'm learning that at last! Throwing a half marathon in today without any real focus shows me that when I've been training for 5k largely!

• Mr M told me that last year and I tried to adhere, might do the 5k on Wednesday and do nothing or little til then. Week of Highland Games first week in August then 10 miles in September and HM in November. As I said I feel good on the track at the moment so lesson learnt for me as well, keep us posted,

oh by the way 37.16 gun time
    34th position 4th over 40
    doesnt sound so bad now
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

sounds a sensible strategy with a 10miler than a half 2months on as you can build for 2 months to each.

Well done on the stats...theres always a positive to be taken out of any race.

• mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

Good running SG! Sounds like a tough course. Will you be doing a recovery run tomorrow before Datchet?

37 mins being your slowest 10k Sawney Bean, still bloody good though!

Spin again this morning, 1st physio on Thursday so be good to get a 2nd opinion on things, its the wierdest feeling in that i feel i could run when i walk on the flat but any slight incline or decline and there's a horrible pain. Can't see it being another 7 weeks like the doc says though. Perhaps its all in the head!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Slight disappointments with race results aren't anything compared to your situation Mee Meep, so hope you're coming along nice. Just be patient yet optimistic.

3mile recovery jog tomorrow, then same on tuesday lunch then the Datchet festivities, can chat then if you're going with the missus? We can get creating this potential Maidenhead dream team going!

• meep meep, whats your symtoms, sorry if you have repeated yourself on here already
    i have had a calf niggle where it had been clamping up when i put it up a gear
  • mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

Sawney bean, the jist of it is, an angle grinder jumped back on me 4 weeks ago tomorrow, chopped just about the whole of my big toe off where it joins the foot,quite a bit of damage, but the worst bit about it was the tendon was severed and retracted back up my leg, then they had to cut up my foot till they found it and reattach it all.  Was supposed to have a cast on till next Friday but took it off earlier in the week as it was doing my nut in! The upshot of that though was i am able to cycle, so am doing that as much as possible.

The cut has closed stitches are out and looks not too bad, but its the pain i get on uneven ground when walking that is the worry. The doc said 8 weeks 9 days ago but i dont think he really gave a damn so hoping he just put any old number on it. Shall see what the physio says Thursday,   Phew, as you can probably tell im getting antsy!

I dont know if i ll be there Tuesday or not SG, As soon as i do have the all clear maybe meet up at Maidenhead for one of their track sessions on a Tuesday?

• hell thats horrendous, expected some running type injury, i pray and sure you will make a full recovery