Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Reg & Dachs; don't be tempted by any of those Dinton 5k or 10k's then; they are the worst I have ever known for fly swallowing ;)
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I'm assuming the reason I don't get bothered by flies is that I go out so early they haven't warmed up enough to get off the ground.
    Only thing which got close was on Sunday when out on the bike, when I became aware that; due to the buzzing, something had got trapped in the bike helmet. I stopped to check. It was a bumble bee.
    No problem, they are reluctant stingers.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    All finished by 7:30am. That was ten miles worth with a session of 40 seconds fast, 20 seconds jog recovery in the middle. The bit in the middle added up to six miles averaging 6:40 pace, which wasn't too shabby considering.

🙂

• PhilipMJonesPhilipMJones ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Dachs said:

What I don't understand is that the reaction time of a fly is extraordinary, seeing everything very much slower than us humans.  They are able to avoid me hitting them with stuff at about 15 mph, but can't seem to avoid my face travelling at less than 10 mph.  Explain that, boffins.

Apparently, their systems are adapted to spot movement but that means they are susceptible to being caught when things move slowly. Runners are slow to them, fast is a thrown object at well over 60 mph. I guess it is those arms adapted to running that means you throw like a girl ;-)

http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/surprising-solution-to-fly-eye-mystery
  • I knew an old woman.....

Hmm. Can't say I'm entirely looking forward to the track tonight. Throat still not 100%, but my nose seems to be better and there was no green snot, just clear stuff so that should mean no infection apparently??

Decent training from everyone despite the flies and heat..

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Real sweatfest on both runs today for sure. Like Simon, just seeing off the little tickle, so decided a single 10 would be pushing my luck. Especially after a late night (for me) enjoying United back into the champions league!

Will try and get up for all 3 group games, wonder if any will tie in with anything race wise.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Funny that.
    Man U won a trophy last night but that was reduced to a mere side issue compared to the real business of qualifying for the champions league.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Another run done and dusted by 7:30.
    The warm weather is working well for me at the moment. I do a run early on, and then spend the rest of the day working, doing something physical.
    It's a natural way to get acclimatised.
    It's not surprising if Joe Public gets a few problems with running at the moment. They spend most of the day sitting down in an air conditioned office or transport, and then goes out for a hard run in the heat.
    That's quite a shock to the system.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Wish my office was air conditioned!

I love training in this weather, but not so keen on racing in it!

A fly fuelled double yesterday. The evening run was a beaut in the sun.  "Rest" day today but decided to ride to work, as it was such a beautiful morning.

Went to wipe some excess oil off my chain first and luckily noticed one of the links had cracked down one side - would have been a disaster if it had failed catastrophically whilst straining up Whiteleaf tonight! Jumped on the proper road bike instead and actually managed my fastest ever ride to work! Slow by AG standards, and would have preferred 0.2mph quicker, but pretty happy with 19.8mph for an undulating 15M. Quads feel it now mind.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ric, that's the state of play in top level football these days i'm afraid. The champions league is the only place to be.

Back to the track for the first time in a while due to the triple racing weekend.
    Fancied a pyramid job to get back into it. It's like a "cheat" way to take the pressure off in some ways.
    Standard 200-400-600-800-1000 then back down.

Bar the second 800 being a bit relaxed, and a stomach blow up in one of the recoveries, a textbook slightly quicker on way back down otherwise.

• Good stuff Bus. Agree Ric, air conditioned offices can lull the senses, unfortunately mine is too hot.

Last night was 5 x (400,300,200) with a jog 200 recovery between the sets. Not going through them all, but averaged (65,47,31)... felt ok apart from an annoying stitich on the last few reps which meant I was sort of running with one arm.. Now off to Poole until Tuesday, few quiet days and a day trip to London on Monday for the BUPA 10k.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    My office is air conditioned but it does mean half the women start whingeing about being cold after a couple of hours. Putting a jumper on seems to be too much trouble.

Solid track work there SG. Have you thought about upping the ante a bit with your training? It seems like you've been doing the same sort of thing for quite a while and maybe you could handle more challenging quality sessions?

Nice ride, Bus, 19.8mph is not slow by my standards at all, in fact my annual average to work is in the 16:x region. It was slow by the standard of the 10 mile TT I did last night though. 21:52 for 27.6 mph average on my Garmin. I think that's about 40 seconds under my best, not bad for the first attempt of the year.

Also good news on the ankle, managed 6 slightly tired miles on it this morning with no ill effects.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Yep Reg, i think you have some sort of decent point.
    A mix of needing to get to work (!), easier to get the head round, and currently only doing shorter races as I ease back into being a local race face meant these sort of sessions seemed right.
    I have rotated through the 5k plan a few times now, and chucked a few of these pyramids in too.
    I did pyramid today as i didn't fancy the 5x1k, 2x400, x200 as my first session back.

Probably bang on for the next month or 2 of 5ks, but after that will definitely need to get back on the tempo plan. For one thing, i want to see what sort of times we could get out, with a few attempts. The 17.03 was a promising benchmark.

Will have to dig out the old Moz plans, see what else we can be doing. I seem to recall some horrific stuff of a 800s with the second lap faster :)
    He was a genius at very rarely giving you the same track session twice, which over 4-5 years was quite a feat!

ps I see the first Battersea Park is Monday June 5th. It's one that doesn't have a local series race the next day, so looks a good day to get one in the bank.
    Anyone fancy it?

ps Reggie, sounds promising on that ankle.
    pps Simon, taking on board Reg's reflection,don't you think you've been doing that same very fast stuff for a while now ;-)

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

nice sessions/reps there SG and simon.

reg good news on the ankle

simons  aiming to medal at the 1500m euros this summer, that session looked like a 1500m session to me.  

i had 6*600 off 3 min rec. target 1.42 (68 thru 400s so not the hardest session in the book)  in 25 degree heat and my lack of fitness i unsuprisingly struggled. but not too far off ave 1.44 apart from the last one which was 1.42.  so another step closer.  slowly slowly catchy monkey :)

• Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

SG - Yes been OK for a bit now, long may it continue! (please!!) Reg - a classic problem. Gender temperature wars..

Dean - yeah felt like a 1500m session, seems about right distance wise in my 'expert' knowledge :) very sensible training yourself, agree that going through 400 in 68 is quite a 'nice' session (relatively).

Those 2 pints of Guinness after went down well...

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    SG I've got that BP 5K pencilled in on 5th June so certainly hope to be there but little hope of sub 18 at the moment. Quite a few decent pubs dotted around Clapham & Battersea so could always pop in one for a drink and some running related chinwag afterwards if we could get some forumites there. Dachs and Bus have been BP'ers in recent times so hopefully they may come (if BP is not below Dach's nowadays :))

Mega impressive training going on by Ric, SC, Dean and SG and cycling by Bus and AG/Reg.

I was on the bike (hybrid this time) for a 40 mile canal ride with my brother this morning. We averaged 12mph and that felt quite enough (was all off road and the usual pile of stops to get past walkers, cross canal sides, deal with diversions etc.).

Bus; your nearly 20mph on that 15m distance is quite brilliant; I was very pleased to average 17.5 the other day on my road bike over a similar distance (and probably less hilly for me too). Great cycling conditions, at least early morning, isn't it with no wind for once!

• Chris2304Chris2304 ✭✭✭
    I used to have regular run-ins with a guy in my office who always complained he was too hot. The fundamental issue was that he was packing a level of 'insulation' that I wasn't. Not sure how you get around that fundamental issue.

Reading through the thread I see lots of good sessions & fly digesting. Envious of some of those interval sessions - I tripped on the stairs and hurt my big toe, so no running for me (a trip to minor injuries unit confirmed little injury-wise but did reveal that Hospitals are not busy when the sun is shining - do people only get minor injuries when the weather is crap?!?).

Went for a cycle instead. Got chatting to a runner and asked if he was training for anything in particular, "yes, the World Championship 24 hour race in Belfast".A quick Google suggests the guy (Andy Jordan) can run 200km in 24 hours - eeek!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bus/Phil, either of you in for the first BP?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Frustrating dealing with office temperature moaners.
    I'll just deal with whatever it is, but you'll always get your vociferous moaners, from the fatties who are wearing the equivalent of 3 extra jumpers in body chubb, to the women who wear some sleeveless t shirts and moan about being cold :)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Aw, shucks - thanks Pete! Sounds like a nice ride that, despite interruptions.

Blimey Reg!!! Fingers crossed the ankle is done and dusted

I am genuinely boiling in the office as I sit next to windows that get the afternoon sun. As I'm on the 10th floor, usually I can't open the window as a gale blows through. I wouldn't change it though, as I also have fantastic views across the Chiltern escarpment.

Cracking sessions Simon, Dean and SG - something pleasant I find in doing reps in the heat.

Not sure about BP SG, have a complicated few days at work, so may not be able to get away in time.

Chris - you were lucky the hospital wasn't full of DIY injuries! Hope the toe heels quick.

Right - question now, is do I ride home all the way or get the train most of the way? Legs feel a wee bit tired after this morning, and I'm hoping to parkrun tomorrow (depending on how thirsty I am when I get home :)

• Stevie G said:
    Bus/Phil, either of you in for the first BP?
    Definitely the outside chance of a probability that I may do it. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

Nice!

Need to get my head round not finding a reason to turn out Tuesday first :)

Compared today's pyramids against the last time. Most a second down on last time, 3.18 v 3.14 1k and the outlier 800 too.
    That was mid March though, just a slight change in temp :)

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Evening training isn't something I could even imagine doing these days.
    I get home tired enough. Eat, drink and sleep. Currently crashing out at around 8:00pm.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric, that is my slight concern with some evening racing coming up too.

I'm so conditioned to always be done by lunchtime these days, that by 5pm leaving work i'm just looking forward to relaxing.

It wasn't that long ago though, that I couldn't imagine the idea of doing tough workouts in the morning! So things do change.

I think the worst of all worlds though, was the lunchtime hard tempo! I can remember a couple of those, coming back in feeling absolutely ruined and the last 3 or so hours of the day a write off!

• Plenty of strong sessions going on this week, hope too many flies haven't been eaten  ;)

Any idea on target times for Monday Simon?

Somewhat on the mend, got some bent knee loading squats to do at the gym 3 times a week which physio says will help. May take some time though :/ Just a few short runs and gym work this week. Off to the Aviva Prem Final tomorrow followed by the FA cup final in the pub

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Evening all, some good session work going on.

Never answered Ric's point about hills. I do hill sessions sometimes, but not with particular regularity. Decent hills within striking distance of home are in short supply.

Couple of very warm runs in the last day or two. An embarrassing moment on one of them, as, due to maintaining eye contact with a rather fetching woman across the street, I stumbled over a bump in the pavement. Managed to eventually retain my balance, if not all of my dignity.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    SG, back in my days of harness I tried a couple of lunchtime sessions, but could never get around the fact that I had to get back to work by 'x' time. Even running to and from work was something I never managed; mainly on account of the journey being seven miles each way minimum.

Being self employed I now have all the options. But I'm still not inclined towards doing my own thing first and then dealing with the fallout. I'm easily able to phone someone up to say I've been delayed for a while, but would rather not.

Dachs, an alternative to hills; if building leg strength is an issue, is right out of the Coe camp.
    Basically, squats or half squats.
    Without weights; in a hotel room if travelling of all things, they suggested two sets of 500! 
     I tried this but started with the 5 x 200 option. However, I regularly did one set of 1000. That took about 15 minutes. 

As for the results of doing this mindless activity. One year I was averaging about 30 mpw running plus some cycling, then got injured. The next five weeks running went, 16,16,0,13,15.
     I did loads of squats.
    Off of the back of that, I ran 35:40 for a 10k. I could certainly feel the added power. 

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    parkrun this morning - hot and humid and seemed to have neither the legs or lungs for a decent time, and ended on my 3rd slowest out of 39 with 18:47.

Kayak trip later... 
  • parkrun this morning - hot and humid and seemed to have neither the legs or lungs for a decent time

My lungs are fine, just the legs letting me down. No speed at all, can sit there and breathe easily but just can't go faster. 20:00 on the nose so mustn't moan, and as this twat says on youtube

someone was debating me that not everyone can run sub 20. Is sub 20 even fast? I guarantee anybody who is not handicapped or disabled in some way or another can run sub 20 with consistent training. If you want a good debate start talking sub 16 for males and sub 17 for females. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQk_68zphKo
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I like him :) and I reckon for an under 35 year old he has a point. Almost everyone should potentially be able to run sub 20, even a lot of handicapped people.

I did a parkrun distance today, in the lake! 5.5k swim in 1 hr 40 mins, it was bloody hard and a long way!