Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Nice relaying chaps, good win SG and nice double Pete. As Bus alluded to, I was out for a long ride on Saturday, 89 miles @ 21.5mph, mostly easy with a few efforts in. It's my first long ride on the TT bike and my back is very sore today.

I can't really delay long runs any longer so I decided, despite recent problems that I would do a longish run but very slowly. Having started with a stiff groin, sore back, tight calf and questionable hamstring; I actually loosened up a bit on the run. Took it very steady, covering 13.1 miles @ 8:05 pace. I don't seem to be any worse than before the run so I guess that's something. 

Big weekend starting this Friday with a 3.8k swim, 112 mile ride on Saturday and a marathon on Sunday. Who reckons that marathon is a good idea?

Interesting little detour that Bus, at some point I will put some cyclocross tyres on my bike to work bike and add a bit of fun to winter cycling.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    That is some weekend next week Reg! Will that be on the TT bike then?
    I reckon running a marathon is a really bad idea, but I would also bet money on you doing it anyway :-)
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    It was definitely going to be on the TT bike until I started walking like an old man after 90 miles yesterday. Now I am not so sure, the decider might be the weather. There's an option to drop to the half marathon on Sunday so that's the most likely scenario.
  • The Bus said:
    I used the gravel bike, whihc then gave me the opportunity to explore a Byway from Pishill to Christmas Common. 

The residents of Pishill are very sensitive to where you put the emphasis. Apparently, it is Pish-ill and not Pis-hill.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I definitely take the pis route. It's a bit Hyacinth Bucket otherwise.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reg, that's one heck of an active weekend, 89miles bike and 13miles running!
    Although actually then i read your next line, and it dwarfs last weekend!

I can definitely see the appeal of going the other way, shorter stuff gong forward!
    Sounds a standard ride there Bus, plenty of miles, and some sort of worry about the bike's condition!

Group of girls from work attempted an epic 100km walk in 24hours over the weekend. Just 62miles, that's all! I think in various stages of disrepair they made it between 50 and 65k. 
    To me it seemed like the equivalent of doddling a couple of parkruns out and attempting an ultra marathon!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Just did a 5miler yesterday. 7.30 pace! Felt comfy enough and could have done way more, but seemed the right sort of compensation towards the previous day's effort.

After the other 3 relays i'd done 8.5-10.5milers and more at the usual pace, by way of comparison.

Looking at my year's races to date, most have been flat stuff, and all on road, bar a 1k section of the Gosport 5k on stones. I train exclusively on road as well,  so it's probably no surprise that a tough offroader up and downer in deceptively humid conditions, perhaps feeling a lil run down, on all sorts of surfaces (including sand at one point) found me out a bit more.

Decided to bin today as a rest day, so will go easy with 2x4miles to keep the mileage ticking over. Then ideally, if not feeling knackered tomorrow evening, the Marlow 5k, for race number 200!

It's a club champ race, and I currently sit 42nd (!), though in fairness i've done ONE race out of the first 7. You need 8 to qualify, so i'm struggling, and will need the last 7 (!). Fine for 2x5k and 1xmile, but there's also a 10k/10m/hm in there quite quickly back to back over a month or so...
    So we'll see if the effort versus reward is worth it. Apparently top 5 get trophies, a sign of a competitive club!
  • Good training and racing all. SG - An ex club member completed the Thames 'ring' ultra-250 miles job. Much discussion in the pub about where an ultra 'race' ends and where the 'extended walk' starts. 100k for me - as it's mainly running, after that it'a all about going to sleep for a bit etc etc..

Anyway. 30 x 200 with my mate over the track Saturday morning. Drinking all afternoon saturday..hence my 12 mile run turned into a 3 miler yesterday. A reminder of the 3 day hangover again. Not great..

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

That's a mighty weekend you've got planned there Reg.  Sick of the family?

Monumental race report there SG.  Probably enjoyed that one more than any other since your return to racing.  The clubmate cheering you on in a little girl's voice was the detail that brought it alive for me.  Congratulations on the team prize, some very good work.  Re McCoy, I suspect he should have been on a long leg (and since he always puts himself forward for absolutely anything, I doubt it was his decision not to).  However, I have no involvement in the organisation of this anymore, so I will just shut up.

Good runs Pete.  Plunging back into the weekend double headers again, I see.

Enjoying PMJ mixing it with the youngsters, chasing down 11 year olds like a 70s TV personality.

Simon, 30 x 200 sounds like the kind of session to make the stomach lurch.  Not to mention afternoon drinking - I simply can't get away with that anymore.

Decided Sunday morning to test out how my long tempo legs were feeling, so 15 miles including 10 at a little quicker than MP.  10 miles in 55:53, so nothing wrong there.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    30x200 and 10miles in 55:53 are certainly some hard core stuff.

In less hard core stuff, i doddled a 7.11 4miler out, and am now having fairly strong feelings that binning tonight's 5k off might well be the sensible option.
    Shame it's the Marlow 5k, old club etc, that i always miss, and it would be number 200, but.....saturday was surprisingly gruelling, it's hot right now, and there's plenty more races every week to pick! Have to occasionally be sensible!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    200's are easy unless you try to sprint them eyeballs out. There's no standard speed which 'one' must attain in order to qualify. How about 80 x 200m averaging 41.64 seconds, off no recovery, topped and tailed by 4000m steady?

As for my limping about. During Sunday afternoon the hip seized up completely. Pain! I've felt nothing like it. That said, it may well qualify as nothing by some standards. I've no doubt that there's many who would still try running. I meanwhile couldn't get in or out of bed unless helped.
    Resorted to sleeping in a chair. If I could have slept standing up I would have.

Some improvement this morning. At least I'm not feeling pain all the time.
    On reflection, the bike ride on Sunday didn't help. Had a couple of warnings during the excursion
    so live and learn. At least this will get better. Whereas the person whose garden job I'm about to cancel has been afflicted in a similar manner for years.

🙂

• Stevie G said:
    You need 8 to qualify, so i'm struggling, and will need the last 7 (!). 
    No, there are 8 remaining as any marathon counts. Fastest so far this year is 2:53 so there are 100 points up there for the taking.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Yeah i don't think i'll be quickly sneaking a marathon in Phil. :)
    The only tiny prospect of that was if it was 100 for any marathon, and i pootled/wandered one out over a day ;)

But missing 5 of the first 6 events, most before my time as a Dasher would make the end of the year too stacked.

Have done 12 races this year, compared to 12 in 2016, 9 in 2015 and 7 in 2014!

So to add another 7, and do a few other non Datchet events, and it starts hitting pretty high numbers by my standards. 24 was my record one year, about a decade ago.

Therefore, i think missing tonight is a blessing in disguise as I'm not forcing turn outs, especially not a 10k/10m /hm over about 5 weeks. I had enough of the race obligation thing in Marlow days. Not to mention having done one race as far as 10k in 2 years!

However, i've enjoyed turning out at 4 relays for the team, as well as team prizes at 2 events.

So 12 events in 2017 so far, expect to put another couple of 5ks in, the mile hill race over the next couple of months, and then see where we are.

In the short term, feeling non knackered and losing these little aches in upper chest and arms would do!

• I'm sure they'll work themselves out SG.

Ric - the 30 x 200 is obviously dependent on the speed, ideally trying to keep them all the same is a bonus. I seem to start on 36's in the 10 second recoveries and it slowly goes down to 34/33's at the end of the session when the greater recoveries start to help. Perhaps 35's from the start would be better - or god forbid start with the 30 second recoveries and end with the 10 second ones. Funny old session tbh.

Training at Luton tonight - not eyeballs out as I have an 800 at MK tomorrow night in the Eastern Vets. Last old boys league outing for me this season. Eastern is easier for Bedford as the missus runs too - not late trains etc from London with the Southern Vets with HHH.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    30x200 sounds like a 10k taster session. But i remember locally EOG would go and train with Cooray and monster them out!
    Have a good one tomorrow Simon.

Trying to whip up enthusiasm for a second 4mile doddle. Just to keep the mileage up. You generally know you've made the right decision in sacking off an effort or race, shortly into an easy run and thinking "I wouldn't fancy going any harder today!"
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Dachs said:

That's a mighty weekend you've got planned there Reg.  Sick of the family?

I am a loving and devoted Father/Husband but yes it is nice to get a break from the chaos.

Nothing sparks a debate on here more than the mention of 200m reps. It's one of life's great mysteries.

So I visited a sports therapist this morning. We spent 10 minutes going through the list of pains and aches. She got to work and we ran out of time before she got to my shoulders, despite her having a full hour working away. The sheet was not big enough for her to write everything that she found, down :)

I will put her work to the test later with a run off the bike home, that is if I can get in and back out of the garage without my wife noticing I am home.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    200m reps! I'm always puzzled why so many runners quake at the thought of 30 of them. Come on, it's only a 200m run and a rest. Easiest session in the book.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Ouch Ric - sounds like the hip thing that bought me to a standstill earlier this year. That was ITB. Hoep it heals quick.
    As for 30x 200m, no thanks - at whatever pace! Sounds dull beyond belief more than anything!
    Reg - sounds like my visits to the physio :-)
    Talking of which, I've been good and not run this week. Double bike today, and seem to be getting stronger on the bike. Only missed a PB for the 16M to work this morning because of an unfortunately timed red light and an idiot at a roundabout changing his mind, with the ride home a joint PB, and only 0.9mph slower despite far more hills. Dull rehab exercises to follow now......
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

Ric, no-one is questioning the pace you do your 30x200s at, it's more the 30 at 1500-3k pace. That's huge volume for that intensity.

Bus, only you would be recovering from a running injury, and be allowed to cycle a bit and be talking about pbs! Hope the proper stuff comes back soon!

Sunday 5, Monday & Tue still feeling a bit knackered/a bit run down with 2x4s tells me tomorrow is the day to rest. Hopefully 2 sleeps will see the last of this shoulder/upper chest ache away.  Most likely it's a very minor muscular thing, but you don't really like anything in the latter region, not good for paranoia!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Reg, my fastest set of 30 x 200m averaged 36 seconds with the subsequent 24 seconds making up the recovery period. However, the fastest 800m I ever ran was 2:19 and my pb for 1500m is 4:48. 
    I was never able to run any faster without my lungs exploding and everything tying up with the effort. 30 seconds into a track race was all it took to be like that.
    In my fastest 5000m I did a pace which would have been 4:56 for a 1500m. That's less than 3% slower for over 3 times the distance.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Diesel engine Ric....or at least a turbo diesel :-)

That's the best thing about cross training SG - as long as the injury isn't aggravated by the alternative exercise, then crack on. Not just me though - Reg is living proof that it works! The leg feels fine at the mo, but I'll give it the full week off and see the physio before deciding when to run.

I'm not surprised your recovery is what it is - it's only a couple of days, and you gave a lot in the relays!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    SG!,
    Eh! I thought it Reg I was replying to. No it was you. Sorry SG. It's the thumb  nail pictures which at a glance are identical. I must be homing in on those instead of the printed name.

Bus, diesel engine! must be why one of the names applied to me 'in house' is 'smelly'. Added to old and fat. 

Injury id: Four localised sore spots which had been merged into one jolly unit. Adductor, hip flexor, touch of pirformis which at least has laid off the sciatic nerve now. And also getting involved, the remnants of a hamstring injury in the same area. The knee problems I had seem like a world away. 

One good thing is that I can watch the TDF from start to finish and get going on the red wine at 12:01 mid-day. However, the police in the house who masquerade as my wife and son, are ready to place me under arrest if I dare suggest a third (small) glass.
    That kid of mine has even hidden the fruit gums ('They won't do you any good, they'll just make you fat (er)).

🙂

• Yes, the old TDF would be nice..shame about bloody work. Easy (ish) session last night, 8 x 600 in around 1.48's on the grass. Nothing too excessive before tonight's 800. Trying to drag my mate round to about 2.08, aiming to hit 62 odd at the bell. Hopefully go better than last week!

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Ric; good that you can make the most of the injury lay-off; was just thinking what a good day it would be to be a couch potato today (if I had Sky :( ) with a quality Mountain stage of TDF (what a twat Sagan was btw), Test Cricket and Wimbledon all on.

I'm also with Bus on being bike only this week; physio reckons hamstring needs some rest but I didn't really need a professional to tell me that.  Agree with you Bus that its far better than being unable to do anything; aiming for 100 miles across Mon-Thur then a day's reward at Wimbledon on Friday.  
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry Ric, easy to misread on the quick! Some good paces and if i fancy by Friday i might even try some variant of that session, as i'm sort of "In between" things now.

Shame you've got a few little bits boiling up, you were flying a few weeks back. I guess that is the sport of running in a nutshell!

Last week or so i've noticed a strange "Tingle" in my small toes, when driving mostly, but also other times. Did a quick research, could be tonnes of stuff, but the "have you changed shoes recently" seems the obvious one! Work shoes with a stiff front is probably the reason! Not the usual "rubbing" heel that is normally the new shoes effect, but some sort of minor nerve twinge.

W OFF, with shoes off today then! Hopefully by tomorrow, i'm fresh, and the upper tightnesses are nothing, and we can crack on again!

Tonnes of "can do" races on the agenda, but no firm "have to do" until the 1mile hill in Wales, but that's more an experience race than any sort of time/aim/bring my footy mate back from Bristol the day after!  

Will have to get a Battersea Park crew together at least once, and probably have a crack at  the 3x1mile relay. As it'd take a Dean-Dachs-Matt combo to even threaten the placings, i dare say, it's whichever 3 of us fancy it that is our team :)

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    New work shoes eh, why can't they be comfortable straight away.

Ric - I guess it's hard to distinguish one lanky bastard in red from another. I was momentarily confused, having already declared my position on 200's.

Hopefully those niggles will get sorted out soon, I'd like a day of TDF watching and I'd also like to block all the friends I have that post spoilers before I get a chance to watch the highlights. I prefer the Giro Italia because nobody really talks about it and the BBC don't put headlines on their website.

Looks like everyone is slowly coming round to my way of training, hardly any running and lots of cycling is the way forward :)

Having said that the massage seems to have loosened things up a bit. Did just over 9 miles last night having gone out the door with no real idea of how far I was going to run. Nothing started hurting so I kept going until I'd extended the loop as much as possible without starting to retrace my steps. Pace was easy in the 7:2x region but HR was pretty low so It will be interesting to put a race in but I don't think I will get the chance. My PO10 for 2017 still reads blank.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

im with ric on the 200s. easiest session in the book.  a last session before a race i might do 12*200 @ 30-32 pace.  and be home feeling no tiredness.  however the sessions ric and Simon do for 200s are not easy.  basically taking a very small recovery and using the rep time to compensate.  they are tough.  also the toughest ever session i have done was something like 6*200 at 25 sec pace off about 40secs rec.  but i doubt i need to explain why that was so tough...man my legs were burning for days after that one.

• Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

;)  I've got 8 x 200 strides after the race to do tonight also..theyre pretty tough.

SG - Didn't fancy a 4.31 miler for the relay team then? Put out to pasture now I'm 45 then ;)

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Ha! simon.  i did think that you was a glaring ommision from a thread mile relay team.  particularly as you are about 10secs ahead of the other.  I think its ageist...45 and forgotten :)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Whoops, apologies Simon, you know that was just a "minimised screen typing quickly" oversight job :)
    Not to mention that i was concentrating on the relay results on Saturday.....

they've got the overall team times right, but have somehow (with chip timing) managed to bungle a small amount of individuals...

eg i'm given as only having a 40sec lead when i came in...if it was just that i might put it down to me being nearly hallucinating at the time :)

But our 5th leg runner was apparently 32secs ahead of 2nd...when i was literally timing our lead with a pal, and it was 3:32 ahead.

They alaso have Reading and the army lot 3mins apart at that stage, when again, i watched their 5th leggers finish very close together :)

On top of this, our last leg runner, who did a very swift 15.09 actually lost us 30secs or so, to McCoy from Reading, but McCoy is given 15.18!
    While the army chap is given a blatantly wrong time of 19.02!

Therefore, somewhere in Reading's stable, they have 30secs to addto a time. The short legs look realistic, so most likely it was their 2nd long leg guy, given as a very fast 30.33, perhaps actually 31.03....still right up there, but explains the knock on down the chain!
    Probably.