Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

What a haul for the thread over the weekend!  Hope you both don't mind if we all bask vicariously in your success.

Simon, firstly, you can't go over to the European Championships, win a medal, and then write four lines about it like it was a casual 1500 in the vets league in Hemel Hempstead or something.  We need build up, drama, through your words we need to hear the roar of the crowd and feel the weighty feel of cold, hard, well-earned bronze against our chests.  But brilliant work on the race itself, easing through the rounds and then unleashing an excellent performance like that in the final to get that well-deserved medal.  It's fair to say it's probably not been a vintage year for you, but this is a real high to remember, and really impressive.  I was delighted when I saw you'd medalled.

Despite his own uncertainty, I never doubted that Dean would medal.  That kind of closing speed is pretty rare anywhere, but in the over 40s it is like gold dust, and felt certain that it would win out.  Great report too, real rollercoaster of emotions going on then, and culminating in an awesome silver.  Terrifying to think you'll be in the 45s soon.  Will give the video a watch later.  Cracking stuff, and again well deserved after never losing your focus after an up and down season.  Great stuff.

Good to hear you met Duncan, he is indeed a very sound bloke.  He and I joined the club on the same evening in 2011.  We did an induction session that involved an all out 400.  Think I hadn't even entered the finishing straight when he finished.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cracking report that Dean - most enjoyable, and very well done again! A privilege to be on the same thread with such class acts as you and Simon! (no offence anyone else - you are all great too!!)
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Congratulations to Dean & Simon, fantastic results and one great report! I enjoy SC's modesty on the report writing compared to Dean's almost visceral tale. Dach's has clearly put more into Simon's report than the man himself. 

Dachs you strike me as someone that has a long term plan, does turning 40 include having a crack at an event like this, surely now we are looking at getting everyone on the thread an international vest!

Must be a lot of pressure doing all that training for such a short race though.

Bus - Good to see the mileage slowly building back up again.

Ric - Re the injury link, the cycling has no obvious link to the hamstring, it was the morning after a tempo/interval session that feature a bit of dog hurdling, I think it's safe to say that's the cause. Longer term I have come off the back of a marathon and a 15 mile run in the space of a few weeks so I should be more careful with that in mind.

Good news is my hamstring feels ok today. I reckon I could run but I will leave it one more day to be safe.

Nice hill reps SG, I just lost a Strava CR for a hill in Wales.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Reg Wand said:
    Dachs you strike me as someone that has a long term plan, does turning 40 include having a crack at an event like this, surely now we are looking at getting everyone on the thread an international vest!

Yep.  But I didn't want to do it as a V35, wanted to wait until I turned 40 and became a 'proper' vet.  Got to give yourself some reason to welcome hitting that milestone.

I wanted to go down to the track on Friday and get a club session in.  The track is halfway between work and home, so the way it works is that I jog 2 miles to track, do the session, then jog 2 miles home.  Anyway, I get to the basement to get changed at just before 6 on Friday, only to find that all my clothes have been cleared out of the drier.  There is a sign up saying that clothes left there at 5:30 on the last Friday of the month will be assumed to have been abandoned and will be removed.  That sign has been there for ages and it has never happened.  There is a number to ring, but everyone's gone home.  Go and ask security, they have no idea.  Ask the cleaners, they have no idea.  I am livid at this point, and briefly consider running to the track and doing a session in my work clothes out of bloody-minded frustration.  In the end, I have to walk to Decathlon, buy a whole new set of running clothes, get changed round the back of Decathlon like a tramp, then run to the track.  By that time everyone else is half an hour into their session.  Bloody arses.

And that description is longer than Simon's report about his European medal.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    am i the only one that is confused about where this tumble drier is?
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    In the basement at work Reg.  Not a tumble drier, but you hang your stuff in there and it blows out heat.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I thought so but it seemed weird that your work had a drier and a basement, do you work in the Reading council  ski chalet?
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Why the bloody norma do you not just take 2 sets of running gear like everyone else rather than having your festering gear "drying" out in some squalid work basement?
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    on first read i'd missed the work part, and thought this was exceptionally harsh wife behaviour :)
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Well done Dean and Simon.

It speaks well of this thread that it's inhabited by all standards of runners including some of us who don't appear to run anymore. Soon, I'm sure. The knees have almost stopped complaining.

Anyway, the reports from the top are great. That's the point. Where else can winners feel free to expand and expound upon the details regarding a thrashing meted out without appearing to be showing off.

It isn't of course. The average runner grabs any chance to listen to details of victory straight from the horses mouth. It's as close as most of us will get.

Usually, the winners want to tell all, but can't unless prompted.
    At one gathering I declared "Mike, didn't you once run 64 minutes for a half marathon?". That caught everyone's attention. Did you really? tell us about it. 

He'd been waiting about 15 years to talk about that one. Brilliant. It's things like, "At eight miles I threw in a couple of 4:40's to break up the pack". 

To Scott E. The most stoical member; good luck with the latest op. All due respect to our latest international medalists, I believe Scott was destined to move in pretty high running circles.
    One set back after another. There's no end to it.

It's like Henry Blofield the cricket commentator. As a schoolboy he was marked down as potentially the greatest cricketer England had ever produced. Then he got knocked off his bicycle, hit his head, and that was the end of it. We'll never know what could have been.

SG, did you really manage sub 6 pace uphill. Most I could manage over a similar distance was about 7's.

Reg, yes the dog. Bloody shit machines.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Who are these "everyone else" people SG? On double days, I also have to leave my wet kit festering in what passes for a changing room. In my old workplace we had a drying cupboard (aimed at wet cycling kit and towels) but here, it is a plastic clothes horse hung over a radiator. Works OK in the winter when the raidator is on, but this time of year nothing dries, so if it is wet when I cycle or run in, then I have the pleasure of putting wet, smelly kit back on to head home! Only other choice would be to carry a spare set whihc would mean running with a rucsac.

Double bike yesterday and 7 miles early doors this morning. Slow, but otherwise OK.  Saw the physio about my shoulder this morning. The good news is she is certain it's not anything terminal. The bad news is she wants me to try not cycling as she thinks it is a posture thing (it started when I swapped my flat bar bike for drops, and intensified cycling, so she may have a point!). I'll try the stretches first, avoid the drops and see what happens.....

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

SG, who is this everyone else?  I don't know anyone apart from people on this thread who run to work and back, so I'm not sure there is such a thing as everyone else in this context.  I've got enough crap on my back without taking an entirely different set of running gear for the route back.  I mean, the morning commute is 5 miles.  I'd like to think I'm fit enough to not soak my clothes in sweat on an easy 5 mile run.  And anyway - if you were running 10 miles as opposed to 5 + 5, presumably you're not dashing into a phone box to change at halfway like Clark Kent, so how is that any different?

Anyway, I appear to have started a discussion that is detracting from Simon and Dean's glory, so I shall shut up.

Bus, you will have to find an endurance sport that doesn't involve your upper body or your lower body.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Ric, im not claiming the hills were Everest in steepitudation. And only 0.3m which strangely gave the fastest moving pace on the steepest first third.

Easy fellas. Im probably just jealous i would be annihilated if i tried to hang my festering stenching outfits in some random room :)

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I find my kit stays pretty fresh cycling, in fact if I take it easy I can arrive at work less sweaty than fat Jayne does walking to the photocopier and back. Her actual sobriquet is Jabba but I digress.

I don't do run doubles so I don't have the issue with that but I do take a spare to do a lunch run, I don't cycle home in the one I ran in. I find I don't ever smell anyway, only when I put a bit of weight on did I find the need to always remember deodorant.

I meant a word for Scott before so thanks for the reminder Ric, not much one can say that we haven't said before. Puts my constant niggles in perspective.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    oh and I hang my kit on the cable tidy under my desk  :)
  • Options
    Love you guys! Exactly why this thread is always so great is the kit discussion :)

Dachs- yes totally get you, I really tried to be more expansive but I'm typing on my iPhone so I could upload the photos. Every other word I spell wrong so can't be arsed to type on the bloody thing. 

Thanks for all the congrats, might actually be catching Dean tonight for a beer. He's back home tomorrow night. Last word for Scotty though..chin up mate, you'll get there eventually. It's not fair sometimes, I've been so lucky over the last 17 years since I started running properly. 
  • Options
    I'll be ok! I have botox scheduled for end of the month to address another anal fissure that's developed, leaving severe pain after a number two (which has eased back a bit and avoiding Tramadol as don't want to get addicted again) but worrying heavy bleeding again. Will not consider another op for that . With the Hernia it's just waiting now, at least I can exercise as it really only prevents the leg extensions behind me so running and some cross stuff is out plus lifting but can cycle ok so after a few days at Ride London and this week on holiday chilling I'm looking to increase things next week 

Over 3 months no running though is tough.

I am laughing at the reports and enjoying reading! Can't wait for the 5km

Work has been great and learning / trying all new gear and shoes and stuff has been awesome! Loads of new info!! 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ahem, Dachs' and Bus' filth encrusted kit aside for one minute, like others I hope you get a decent break sometime soon Scott!

That does sound an unpleasant mix of things front and back!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Scott. In your circumstances I would given up, so your mental strength is incredible.  Personally I would forget training and fitness and just spend time not bleeding or having operations.  I wish a speedy recovery.

cheers chaps. My reports are full of detail as I will read back at a latter stage in a yr or 2.  I'm annoyed my flights are tomorrow night so am missing the 5ks.  I know a lot of people in these and would be a great watch.  all the best Simon
  • Options
    Really enjoyable reading the race reports from Denmark - incredible standard of running from the two of you! Look forward to reading about the 5k

Regarding the drying of kit, I sweat buckets for even the easiest efforts - so it's written off after one use! I shall have to find somewhere to hang kit at my new workplace!

Scott, so sorry to hear that mate :( I know that you will come through this with the determination to pick up where you left off. Do you have a date for the operation? I hope you're back to it soon!

First training session tonight since April - 7 x 3mins with 2mins recovery. This was tough going, as I'd forgotten what it was like to push myself and suffer. First 6 averaged ~6:20/mi, but I pushed on the last which came out at 5:30/mi - hit a HR of 205, the highest for quite some time!
    Tough running, but good to get back to it!
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cycling kit is usually OK - unless it's bucketed down in the morning! I do rinse through socks and mud encrusted running lit - it just never dries, or dries like crisps!

Always hard to come back to a session Matt - I'm dreading mine planned for Thursday!

Dachs - lol! Even if I could find that exercise, my degenerative 4/5 disc would rule that out though ;-)

All the best Scott - you really do get the shitty end of the stick....

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nice session Matt H but 205 bpm, are you a newborn baby?

We had Power Hour tonight, it's a chain gang so you ride in a small group taking turn on the front around an 18 mile course. There were a few strong riders out and we set the second fastest ever time. It's pretty good fun, especially when the attacks come in the closing stages.
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Utterly superb performances by Simon and Dean and does make you feel proud to even be on the same forum! Must be briiliant to know you have a finish like that Dean as you never know you're beaten. To think you are probably a few years older than most of the v40's too. Great report, pics and video to enable us to imagine the drama. 

Think vaguely running related talk like kit habits should be embargoed till after Simon's 5000 (and FULL report☺)! 

Despite the above a word of sympathy for Scott; such talent but never gets a fair run at showing it. 

No running for me till hamstring improves. More treatment booked. Managed to sell on Yateley number for tomorrow. You doing that one Dachs to complete your series win?
  • Options
    B) B) B) For 2017 the two silhouettes have received a dark night blue upper and contrasting vegetable tanned leather lining. saucony bullet shoes, I photographed thy walls, I hope that this rendering will be restored to my dear saucony triumph womens readers Any this share of beauty that is yours. Arthur Ashe was the first tennis player black to win the US Open and to win a total of 72 titles including the Australian Open in 1970 and Wimbledon in 1975. The ostentatiously futuristic shoe, featured as a part of the label’s Constellation line, dons a chrome Foamposite shell, speckled laces, branding on the heel, and an icy blue outsole. San Francisco3162 16th St. It is in a ball in a corner of your living room.
    <3 <3 <3
    www.shop-saucony.com/saucony-women
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Is this some random computer generated shit?

🙂

• Options
    I know you've had a high HR before Matt, is that optical ? I've found using my new suunto I get spikes over 200 and I've been tested. 

Possible though, Oli is the same having super high HR (200+) and being accurate with testing 

And scary stuff from Reg saying others are strong cyclists when we read how quick you go!! 
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    AG - not quite a newborn, but I am only 24! High MaxHR seems to run in the family, as my Dad can also hit high numbers at nearly 50 (although, we keep telling him maybe he shouldn't...)

Nope, this was measured by the strap - and right at the end of the last rep when I was eyeballs-out and couldn't possibly do more! 

I like the idea of getting a round of tests done when I'm fitter (and a bit more flush), but I'm not 100% sure on the benefit for someone like me.

Strangely enough, the legs are feeling okay today!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    RicF said:

No, we put time and effort into writing this garb :)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Matthead - i clocked that HR and thought wow. I clocked a 205 in my offroad 5 1/2mile relay at the start of July, and that was a humid day and i felt like i could have "gone" if the leg had lasted much longer! With 20mins lying down after!

That was a clear outlier for me though, so it depends if it's normal for you.

Felt a little knackered and a little borderline coldy, so thought i'd reduce my midweek 10 to an 8. Conned myself and did 9 in the end. Every so slightly sub 7 by about 3seconds over the 9miles.

Rewatched the mile footage from youtube, and googled the landscape, pretty impossible to judge the steepness. 
    Results last year were one legend did just over 8mins, a guy who had a 4.35 mile that year, another around 8.40ish, and then  a big drop off to 9.40s, followed by about 6-8 people over 20seconds.

It looks to have 2 "plateau" points of around 75metres, and the last 200metres is flat, so that'll be nice by then.
    A Datchet chap i don't know will also be there, our lot get around! Will be useful to have some sort of contact there. 
    But either way, one for the "experience" and befitting a landmark like 200 races :)
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:
    RicF said:

No, we put time and effort into writing this garb :)

Speak for yourself ;-)