Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Seems to have been a weekend with a three line whip on attendance at league matches with bloaty Dean being pulled away from the pizza, curry and beers. My eldest daughter also got her call up and the manager picked her up, she did a few field events and then he dropped her off at a station so she could come with us to watch the IAAF world champs. 

The BBC coverage is very odd. They can't seem to understand that it is an athletics event so what we want to see is athletes competing and interview with athletes. I am not interested in the history of Gatlin and I am not interested in the IAAF and norovirus. 

I also see that a jogger on Putney Bridge (a place I frequent but have an alibi) is getting a lot of publicity. Will have to see how it plays out: if he genuinely shoves the lady with malicious then he needs to be prosecuted but I bet they were both just zoned out and startled when they suddenly found themselves on a collision path. I'd say I come close to clattering someone at least once a month as I run through crowded streets in tourist areas. You could say it is irresponsible to run in such areas but where do you draw a line? Yesterday I was running towards a group of three people on a wet path and they saw me and carried on walking toward me and bunched up on the dry side of the path and effectively said "there you are, run through the puddle or run in the road or give way". It was lucky for them that I was dry: if I was wet I would have taken the puddle option.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Totally agree about the BBC coverage, they admit that's it's their fault for demonising Gatlin and then start a campaign to undermine the IAAF. I felt sorry for the doctor they had on last night and it seemed to me that the Botswana representatives were selective with the truth. Eurosport is generally better. Colin Jackson and Denise Lewis can barely construct a sentence between them and don't start me on Gabby Logan.

I don't think that runner pushing the woman could be prosecuted based on that video alone.

I had a moment on my bike this morning, I was approaching the traffic lights outside M'head station, stopped at the front but kept my feet clipped in as the light turned green but pedestrians continued to cross. I had to get going to keep my balance so I had to shoulder barge some idiot hipster on the phone to move him out of my way. That was preceded by several pedestrians crossing before the lights between the cars as I filtered through the traffic to the front. These people should be aware that my brakes don't work in the wet  :D

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You guys talk like you either haven't seen the clearest zoomed version of the footage.

That version clearly shows the guy move across the pavement and double handed shove the lady into the road. Incredibly bizarre. Not sure what happened before to warrant that. He's either an absolute mental, or felt aggrieved at some other "injustice" moments before.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Yeah but she puts her foot out to trip him up.
  • I don't know enough about the case to comment in detail and have no clue why the police are putting the video out in August when it happened in May, but my point is general. If you showed a video of a car crashing into another car then we would not have a debate about if cars are allowed on roads. If this is a mental (one of SG's more PC comments) then he needs to face the justice system. If it is an accident then accidents happen. I have been running on pavements when people step out of shops straight in front of me and I have bowled them over. You could say I was being irresponsible for running on a pavement but then you have to define running as I have also walked into people in similar situations. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    My favourite recent video was the guy that got hit by the Bus in Reading and just got up and walked into the Purple Turtle for his breakfast pint like nothing had happened!

• Reg Wand said:
    My favourite recent video was the guy that got hit by the Bus in Reading and just got up and walked into the Purple Turtle for his breakfast pint like nothing had happened!

Is that just bus related video or all videos? 
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Maybe The Bus thought he was another of these dog owning hoodlums Reg and anyway a pint is always a good calm down after an altercation☺

Oh you meant a vehicular bus did you! Yes amazing vid that one. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Reg Wand said:

Is that just bus related video or all videos? 
    'recent'

My favourite 'all time' was also in Reading, the drive/cyclist one where the driver falls over chasing him, I think we've discussed it in the past. It's awesome.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Hey, I never hit anyone never even been to Reading ;-)

That guy pushing the woman is very odd. Didn't look to me that she tried to trip him - more like a defensive reaction when he changed direction and headed toward her at speed!

That interview last night with the IAAF woman was appalling - probably the first time I've ever felt like writing a "Dear BBC..." letter. I thought she did very well to keep her cool, but even Paula came out looking stupid, with all of them coming across like a pack of school-kid bullies.

Soaked again this morning on the bike to the station. socks had just about dried out before heading out for 10k at lunch and getting soaked again!!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

just seen the shove footage...and if it was an accident the jogger would have looked behind / offer some form of apology.  he didnt, he meant to collide with her. 

He should have his jogger license revoked and be made to become a cyclist ;)

• My heart sank when I saw that clip - more ammo for bloody pedestrians to moan about, although the bloke is a psycho that just happens to be running from what it looks like to me.

Good 200's Matt, I see that is a coach led session, if you are on your own I would take the recoveries down to 30 secs and to 15-20 reps.

Sounds like a nice easy 1500 Dean, bet it's a bit of a let down after the Ceres Arena ;-) I'm back at work today, boozy awayday at West Brom Saturday then a fat boy 5k at Alcester Tuesday night. This one was the Charndon 5k..then the Cottisford 5k. Out to set some decent LBAC club records, although I now get an asterix as I'm marked as a 2nd claimer...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Got told off by some old guy for "not looking" when i crossed a road today, as he "could have knocked me down".

Except i had looked, but obviously in too subtle a fashion for him. Probably didn't help i had a second look when i was almost across, giving the impression i'd only decided to look then :)

Relays tonight, should be decent. Can't knock a distance as short as 1k for one.Just need to remember the raae isn't just the first one,  as 1x 3:00 and 4 x 4.00 won't do anyone any favours ;)

Simon, what's the crack with the 5k, open entry? Maybe risky being in D2D's territory (if that means much to many ;-) ), but could be worth a turnout
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I assume you weren't doing a cross town tempo SG.

I kinda get concerned when I read of you forcing a set pace regardless of conditions. As in blasting uphill, down dale, across roads, and crashing through queues of pensioners waiting to use their free bus passes, while you're blowing your nose into your invisible handkerchief.

Note, the last description separates real runners from mere joggers. Mind you, I do the same when out on the bike. My lad who is always following, says that doesn't make me a real cyclist. No, it makes me a dirty f..ing C..t!

Knees ok now. I might start running again. Maybe next week, perhaps. Just glad the buggers have stopped hurting.

🙂

• Hope the knees play ball again Ric! SG- Entry through Runbritain for the 5k, limit of 200 only though, so you had better check etc etc...
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Maybe the Pitney bridge runner recognised the lady from a previous dog walking related offence and she was on her 3rd and final warning? ;-) 
    He wants to try doing reps on the track with some of the numptys that use the one I go to. He's no need to go looking for collisions. 

Well run on the fat 1500 Dean! Abbey dash this year? 

Nice work on the 200s Matt. 

Fingers crossed for the return Ric. It's been a while since your last outing. At least you've got the mental capacity to deal with it unlike myself and maybe some others. I'd be cross training to within an inch of my life. ;-)

3 easy days since last weekends double header but still just over 40 miles going into last nights session. Didn't feel to great going into it but I never do.
    Target was 8 x 400 off a 200 float in 40-42 seconds. Plan was to run 74-76 for the 400s but after the first 2 being 74 and 75 they ended up being 76/77 and the recoveries 42/43. I say recovery but it wasn't at all. 

Easy hour today then a 22 with the last 4 @ 5.30-5.45 pace tomorrow. 

Anyone racing apart from SC midweek? 

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone - back from months in exile...

Months of inconsistent training and sub-par races it seems.  What have I done?

36:53 10k was probably the last thing I mentioned on here.  I've since ran an absolute beast of a 10k race up a big hill in blistering heat in something like 41:43, a flat 10k in 37:05, a 5k in 18:13 a 10 mile off road, hilly 64:43 and a parkrun in 18:13.

I had a couple of weeks in Cornwall a few weeks ago and ran 25 miles along the South West Coast Path from Newquay to Padstow.  That was pretty amazing.  I hadn't gone beyond 20 miles since 2015 and had barely gone beyond 10 miles since February, so it was a tad ambitious.  I took it really easy - walking up the hills and stopping for photos etc.  Slower than 10 minute miling on average for over 4 hours on my feet.

I then went and stupidly entered the Loch Ness Marathon...  With 8 weeks to train for it!!  Massively increased the mileage after getting home from holidays.  73 miles in the first week, including a 16 miler with 8 @ 6:51ish pace.  Did my first "proper" 20 miler whilst down in London over the weekend for the World Champs.  That came out at 7:46/mile on very tired legs to complete 100 miles in 9 days (no rest days in there).

I'll have 2 rest days this week to account for no rest days last week, so the mileage will come out at just under 60.  Just got a 12 miler to do over the weekend.  (Long run is getting done during the week now).  Medium Long Run is supposed to be on a Friday but my 1 year old decided to stay awake between 12am and 4 am last night.  No way was I getting up at 4.45am!  So the MLR was cut down to 8 miles with 3x 2 miles @ threshold pace and I'll just stick in an easy 12 miler tomorrow instead.

Seems there has been some absolutely stellar performances from some on here, but way too much to catch up on.  Hope everyone's injury free and running well.  I notice Ric appears to be struggling from a very brief look back - hope it clears up soon.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Cheers CC82 and ML84.

I've been here many times before. I do cross train to some extent so as to ensure I don't get too unfit, but it isn't at an obsessional level.

If there's one thing I have it's an ability to wait until my old bod says, 'Ok, I'll let you train some more'. That's why I can go from hardly running at all, to knocking out double figure days, in no time at all.

It's the recovery thing. Top runners recover instantly. That lets them smash out massive amounts of training. If you haven't recovered and yet persist with a plan which thinks you have. Then it's a downward slope to over training.

This information is basic. Really basic. 

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric - don't worry, I wouldn't even try and do a tempo round Slough. Simply too many road crossings and company buildings that feed into the road.

Track these days for anything faster than mid 6 fare.

I trust your reading of things is spot on and you're back ramping it up again soon.

CC -good to hear from you. Madcap stuff there, hope you come through the other side in one piece :)

Matt - classic casual drop in of mad distances with mad pace segments :)

Right...I did that relay last night, so it's time for another race report....

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Windsor Pairs Relay -  Race 201

A little gem of a race, put on by my club, limited to just 100 teams.

Kept an eye on it, having not originally signed up, and when one of our young fast guys partner got injured I swooped and signed up.

The format was a 1km grassy loop at Home Park in Windsor, alternate loops, until you'd done 5 each.

Weather had suddenly become a bit warm and humid from a week of lesser stuff, so turned up a little bit sweaty, having just lost the slight cold.

Finally got to benefit from work being just 4 miles away from my club's venue, after all this time, with a cheeky 15-20min drive over even in rush hour.

Turned up, signed up, walked the route, which initially looked a huge distance covering most of the field. Played tricks with my memory, as the old 5k course was 2 laps of the field.
    I realised after that it was mostly the longer outskirts version, and the full park!

When this is in the background, it's amazing to think you're so close to Slough.

My partner Chris turned up, fresh from a return from Singapore and loads of travel a day or so earlier, and looked knackered! I always look knackered, so we were a right pair!

In the meantime, while taking ages to decide who would go first, noticed some familiar faces, Handy Cross old Boys, Trev, Brendon and Frankie. Muscular tall quick starter from the 5ks there too.

Big question was who our current top guy had as his partner. Anyone remotely his pace, and the battle would strictly be for 2nd place!
    Turned out to be an  Australian chap called "Winning" (yes really), who with a 2.34 marathon was actually faster than Mr Lee.

Finally deciding i'd go first, as Mr Chris is a notorious insane starter, it was time.
    Very wary that this chap is not one to match too closely, but we're off, and I'm suddenly in 4th! Very young Asian kid, never seen him before, Handy cross fast starter, and Australian fella.
    Quickly get ahead of Handy Cross, and round the little bend, take an "average pace" check, and we're doing 5.15 pace, which turned out to be a constant at that bend all night.

Australian guy getting further ahead, and I'm just behind the young lad, seeing what he's made of. Is he some track kid sensation, or has he overcooked it?
    Just behind the whole way round, until I put an insane burst in for the last 50metres to ensure I hand over as 2nd.

The glorious thing with this relay, is you get the recovery of your partner, so a little faster pace can be racked up than your average track stuff. Well, in theory, it is hot, and we are on grass with a couple of little bends.

I think I remember the young lad on Chris' leg was similar, so did a fast km, and were pretty nip and tuck for 2nd place on the next handover.

Second km felt a little slower, but the early efforts of the young lad saw him slip off, and 2nd looked likely to be ours as long as we didn't do anything too silly.

I was attempting to take splits, but in the end they were all over the place, as it's fiddly taking them, while trying to tag and get going :)

Rest of the relay was lovely, tonnes of people to repeatedly overtake and lap, comfy in 2nd, way clear of 3rd, way behind 1st! The young lads dropped at least 1 position, but had the glory of Stevie G telling them well done after!

I enjoyed putting in some ludicrously overblown finishes In the last 50-100metres each lap, knowing I had 3mins + to recover.

Leading to pics like this!

Only prizes for top team overall (well, mens), women's and mixed, but not even a mention for our 2nd place :) Them's the breaks!

But fun, and a better way to spend time than a solo 1km session! Strangely I didn't consider it as a race when thinking about what would follow my 200th...but with a number, timing, a medal, and low key but a few competitive teams, it's as much a race as any relay!

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Well done SG; and Datchet unashamedly poaching the exact event and format off Windle after they liked ours so much☺
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good work SG - nice result for you guys.

Welcome back CC -a good mix of stuff while you've been away!

Did a flat run along the Phoenix trail today. Supposed to be with the kids on their bikes, but they took off way ahead and left me on my lonesome - should have had my headphones! To be fair, my daughter rode with me on the way back, which helped keep the pace reasonable and an opportunity to chat. It came out at 13.1M, which is quite a pleasing distance of course as well as getting back into proper long run length. Happy enough with a 1:35 for that, though the last couple of miles felt pretty tough. So, 43M ran for the week and 56 on the bike, with a possible ride tomorrow.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Sounds close to back to normal. Good news. It's hard for people to cycle while you run, unless they are incredibly selfless, they get too bored!

I still have visions of a pal about 10 years ago telling me she'd cycle while I ran in Chinnor, We got lost, it was boiling, she was bored I couldn't run at her cycle pace (funnily enough - although I did outsprint her attempting top pace for 30secs :) ) Nightmare long run...

Today was my long one, with tomorrow the first Manchester trip of the footy season. Always feels harder on a sat. Simply due to sleeping in, and being a bit less energetic, and no incentive to get out of the door as the whole day is free after. 7.07 pace. Bottled New road's 1 mile hill midway :)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

59.5miles for the week! No qualms about that half mile, as holding on for 13 was plenty today, with the last mile and a half very close to home as it was!
  • CC, good to hear of your comeback - be careful not to overdo it with massive mileage too early!

SG, great result for the relays - sounds like a good event!

Bus, good miles for the week, both running and cycling. I don't think I could cycle alongside someone running!

Filling in from the last post... did a midweek 10 on Wednesday which came out at just over 8min/mi - pretty happy given how tight my calves were feeling from the 200s.
    Thursday was a 3mi tempo session, which came out as 6:32/mi overall - with miles of 6:42, 6:45 and 6:09. Pushed the envelope towards the end and finished it still feeling quite comfortable, even though the last was more of a threshold effort.
    Rest day on Friday before a 14mi today - opted to run to Princetown, at the top of Dartmoor, and back. Over 400m of climbing, with 95% of it in the outward stretch, so happy with an overall pace of 8:16/mi.
    Easy hour tomorrow to finish the week off and for a total of ~43mi again.
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Solid training there Matt with the sessions and the hilly long run. 

Nice work on the relay SG but did you run in your work socks. ;-) 
    runner A69 looks like he's in a world of struggle early doors. 

Long run was pretty decent for myself. I did 17 miiles including doing the first mile of the parkrun easy before doing 4 mile at around 5.30 pace and a mile warm down for 22 @ 6.33 ave. 
    a mile into the parkrun I took off from a large group I was at the back of and heard a shout of 'he'll come back to us' haha

12.7 this morning at 7.03 ave for another 90plus mile week. 
  • 2:58/9 odd split for the marathon* today. In the 50KM race WALK............
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to butt in on this thread but I didn't realise I did my warm down after the Datchet relays with a Runnersworld forum celebrity. I'm sure it's been said before but I'm surprised your name isn't Stephen or something similar. Hopefully I'll catch you at some other local events.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Bus close to normal but not hilly off road, sounds promising though.

Nice job at the relays SG, the Aussie is going well at the moment, another one on here that also attends TVXC. Is that something that's on your radar this year?

Sounds like some solid training being built up there MH and the usual impressive stuff from ML.

Scott, I've never gone for a walk like that, I think that's a silly sport, how on earth did that get invented, perhaps a few guys were suffering from injuries and that's all they could do.

So I had a race this weekend that went rather well. Went into it with a sore knee and feeling somewhat under the weather but I've been around long enough to know that didn't necessarily mean I was going to race badly.

I did this half iron distance race last year and came 22nd in 4:31 so my target was top 10 and to get through the run uninjured.

Conditions were perfect, barely a breath of wind, cool and sunny, the lake looked moody, steam rising off it but when I got in it was surprisingly warm. I splashed about a bit to diffuse the panic and we're off. I started slowly but after the first turn buoy I steadily worked my through the field, it was completely incident free and right to the finish I was overtaking other swimmers. Exited in 29:30, a four minute PB but it's probably a bit short, so probably a 2 minute PB.

On to the bike and I like this course, it's pretty fast, flat a fair few tight turns, the surface is shite in places but I'm used to that in Berkshire. I notice, being out the water much faster, there's not a lot of riders to overtake. Before too long I am stuck in a drafting situation, I am trying to stick to my HR but there are 3 or 4 other riders around going the same speed and you have a choice of either going above your target HR or dropping below and sitting back. I ended up doing a bit of both.

Swindon club guy comes passed me with his sperm hat shouting "keep left, don't move", I'm thinking doesn't this idiot know who I am, the audacity! I pass him a bit later and then we hit the only real proper hill. He comes flying past on the hill as I stick to my HR and I'm on my own for a bit.

Next few miles I reel them back in, I resist the temptation to bellow instructions at Swindon guy as he starts to fade and I pull away, I wonder how many matches he burnt showing off on that hill?. That's the last I saw of that group and I slowly go past the odd rider with nobody coming past. Apart from almost getting squashed by a steam engine the remaineder of the ride is just head down and go. Finished the bike in 2:15 @ 24.2mph and I am pleased with it, it's the 7th quickest split but most importantly it was far from flat out.

Onto the run and after the initial jelly legs I seem to be going ok. I am sticking to HR, generally in the low 80% region after I went out too hard in the Euros. I quickly reel in two guys and then it's pretty much quiet and I don't see another runner throughout the 1st of 3 loops. First mile was 6:30 followed by an outlier 6:17 but I'm generally ticking along in the 6:3x region. Into the second loop and the course is starting to fill up, mainly with people on their first lap but it's still quiet. One guy comes past me but that's it. It gets harder but I keep the pace fairly consistent with the odd 6:4x mile.

The last mile I up the effort and finish with a 6:2x showing I had more in the tank if I needed it but not that much as I was starting to stumble here and there and I wasn't here to turn myself inside out with Ironman Italy in just 6 weeks. IT was just over 12.8 miles @ 6:36 pace, not too bad on what was mixed terrain, maybe 50% woodland paths and grass. Final scores were 6th overall in 4:13 and 1st in my age-group, so guaranteed GB qualification for the Euros and or World Champs next year.
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    I know little about triathlon/ironman Reg but that sounds like bloody good racing to me!  Particularly as it wasn't full tilt.  Well played.