Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Dogfood Doddlers
  • Ha ha. You know Dachs i'd better put the XC selection on Facebook like everyone else at some point. Looks like just me because of the cost, probably do Luton-Belfast Friday afternoon flight, then train or bus over. 

Sensible marathon strategy Reg. 19 mins per 5k is about 2.41 I think. You should be strong enough for that. 
  • Reg, they're definitely all sub-5k pace. Saying that, if I can do 6k at that pace, then something is awry. However, I've always found I'm better in sessions than I am in a race - perhaps dialling back to make sure I don't burn out?

Easy run today to shake the legs out, just under 8mi at just under 8min/mi. Discovering some monstrous hills in Truro!
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Congrats to Dachs and Simon on their xc call up.  Dachs your half Mara time would have been the clincher I bet.  RobT also represented England as well from this thread. Rob and I both brought home a gold medal....don't let your country down boys......also I would avoid Ryanair as well :)
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Dachs and SC! Awesome news. There's more internationals on this thread that club runners! 

Great session to Matt and SC. 

I prefer tempos on the track. Takes the hazards out of it and once you're in a rhythm I find it feels easier. 
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I add my congrats to SC and Dachs; deserved call ups for both. Out of interest what sort of 5k or 10k times do you reckon are needed at v40,v45,v50 and v55 to make the team and do they base it all on road/track/MT or what?

Sound sessions from Matt H and Reg, especially so soon after your 10k Matt.

10 mile "near tempo" for me today to try to work out if to take up my entry for Cabbage Patch 10 on Sunday. First run since the xc and still felt a bit heavy legged. Target was 7mm pace on quite an undulating course in Windsor Great Park and just missed that averaging 7'02. Not sure where that leaves me. Despite numerous parkruns, a club 10k, a xc, a 5*1k relay and a duathlon I've not done a proper race since a 5 miler on the 1st weekend of July in Ickenham. Don't feel trained for a 10 miler really and have Fleet 10k the week after which is more important to me (not least as age group prize a real chance unlike at CP :) ) so will decide later in the week. Anyone else doing either CP or Fleet 10k this year? 
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Also just seen TVXC results are up; as expected WV won both men's and ladies' so that sets a marker for Datchet, TVT, Reading etc. to get some of their better runners like SG, AG and Dachs out in future (OK its too small fry for the internationals I suppose :)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Maybe I should join Thames Hare and Hounds :-)

Nice one Dachs - doing us old blokes proud ;-)

Do it Pete! My best 2 (and only sub 59)10 milers both came out of the blue when not expecting to race them!

Tidy session MH!

"Character building" double xc today. This morning I under-estimated when it would get light and believed the forecast, so consequently ended up digging an old head torch (my newer one was in my locker at work for the run home) out at 6:40 and running in the pissing down rain!  The head torch died after 15 mins and I ended up having to run topless because of nipple chaffage!  So, tonight, checked the newer headtorch - battery indicator said fully charged - and set off. Started pissing it down 5 minutes later, then the head-torch kept switching to low power mode every 2 minutes, then the nips started bleeding again!!  On the plus side, no ne could see me in the dark! Not sure the issue with the head torch  it's a £120 piece of kit and a new battery is around £60, so not a happy bunny!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Just to get this right, you're rampaging around in dark woods, with no top on, with a non working/semi working device strapped to your head.

Imagine meeting someone like that coming the other direction :):)

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Indeed - that's exactly why I was glad it was dark and no one bu the Muntjac deer to see me!

Mind you - still not as scary as some topless, lanky streak of piss bowling towards you at sub 6 pace on a pavement on the London Road  I reckon ;-)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    breathing like a bastad with a heavy foot landing :)
  • Good team result that Pete. TVT were a bit thin on the ground, I guess it's a bit too close to the end of the Tri season and a lot of us are in recovery mode. There were 18 of us at the Ironman I did.

I hope to do a few of the others.

Nice work Bus, marauding through the woods like a Gruffalo.

Fleet 10k was my last proper running race, to think it's been a year is a bit scary. Commute double for me today, had a weird pain on the outbound leg, it was in my heal but soon went. The return leg was not until nearly 8pm as I was working late and it was wet and windy. I could have done with a head torch at times. That 17 miles for the day anyway. Time to ease off now for a mini taper.

• PeteM said:
    Did the Metros TVXC but seemed no other forumites there. New and tougher course almost 10k long and twisty, hilly with lots of switchbacks and tricky areas for overtaking and lapping. Mustn't have been the strength in depth as usual as finished 15th which is my best position there. Our team had 6 in the first 26 despite missing 3 of our 4 best runners so guess we might even be the early leaders☺ 
    Pete, I missed your report first time round, it was only when I looked at the results and saw your name that it clicked and I had a look back. 15th is indeed a high finish position but don't put it down to lack of numbers: I reckon that is a quality run. The guy behind you in 17th is a mere 50-year-old and has single digit UK rankings so a big scalp to take.

SC and Dachs: congrats on the call-up. Maybe we need to get a cloth badge made up to sew onto your running vests. Something along the lines of SG emerging from the bushes saying "I monstered that".
  • Pete - Its a funny one - as I think xc and half marathons are a good 'twin distance' often folk are good at both, so I would have got applicants to put their half times down too, as they don't officially recognise the half times as such - just 5k & 10k. My trump card would have been the 5000m (15.46) in Aarhus, as they look at track or road. The 10k was still 'OK' I suppose in 33.52, but it was the cock up BUPA 10,000 race where I did 32.37 the year before..

Another quiet run Bus. Are you sure you're not making these up :)

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Simon, I put my half time down anyway as well as the national and inter counties XC positions.  Figured I might as well throw the kitchen sink at it.  It's funny, cos my theory is often that shorter distance guys with good core strength tend to be good at XC, because it's filled with little accelerations and tests of strength.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Thanks Philip; that guy in 17th looks good on Po10, but more at shorter distances perhaps. He and another Datchet guy Sean Paynter (generally way better than me) who was also behind were maybe not 100% or taking it easy for some other reason. Is true though that I always seem to run relatively better at Metros course than anywhere else and until the influx of top notch runners into WVR in the last year had always been first from my club in this one (but typically 3rd-5th in others). I don't really know why as its not a very individual course, apart from the river crossing :)

Interesting that on the selection process Simon; so it looks like a panel have a meeting with some guidelines for selection but no firm basis. If we assume you need to be pretty much sub 16 5k at v40 and not much more at v45 does it go much higher at v50 and v55 do you reckon (asking more for a couple of others in my club than me by the way)? 
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Pete - the committee decisions can be controversial.  they say that the BMAF champs XC, 5k and 10k are the key races. but you can put forward other times to back up your claims.  for v40 you would need sub 16 comfortably or 32 or lower 10k.  however sometimes the older categories can be faster than the youngsters.  eg fast older vets like tim Hartley and paul ward put in times faster than those in younger age groups.     

Also, and hopefully this is taken the right way, if you pick the right yr for selection your chance improve significantly.  Traditionally the team for the England hosted race is stacked to the teeth but sometimes those which require longer travel sometimes have more opportunity.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Silly old Reg, why don't you know, there's no such thing as a Gruffalo? 

I'm more like the mouse though - small, but scary (and also very hairy!)

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

No, I'm going to take it the wrong way, as a slur on my considerable abilities. ;)

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

:) your 69 Half would have been good enough to qualify in any yr im sure.  Likewise Simons euro 5k success.

I think England tends to win the team golds in most age groups when its held in wales/England/Scotland but the team can get a little less strong when you have to travel to Ireland.

• Ha ha - I won't either, although being in the older age group I'm now 7th in the Runbritian rankings rather than around 20th so I might even have sneaked it if it was England. But you've got Tim Hartley who did 18.40 I think at Sutton Pk ahead of me, Adrian Mussett, Andrew Grant, Paul Green, Hudspith (18.01 at Sutton Pk!!) and Whiteman infront of me also. So if they all apply to run - I'm screwed. Be interesting to see who runs in the end.

Then Richardson joins soon also. More high quality oppo ;)

Dachs - Hmm, interesting theory, I always just go on the strength side of half runners I suppose

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Congrats from me also on all the international call ups.
    Also congrats to anyone who can run, at all.

My running situation has barely changed. Most injuries or niggles I've been able to manage while running a bit. This one is a real sod. Only makes it's presence felt during the 'rest phase' of the running cycle.
    This means either try running with a bad style, or not at all.
    I've settled now for not at all.
    Just a waiting game.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Doesn't seem that long ago Ric that you were smashing big mileage out. Then I realise that was half a year ago, and we're all half a year older.

Then I realise this thread has been going over 7 1/2 years now! Attracted a few negative nellies along the way, but they tend to disappear when they realise we're stayers on here.

well...for today,  that's all that can be taken for granted!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    That's not good Ric - thought you'd started to make some progress. I don't want to tempt fate, but my own knee issue seems to be calming down a bit now I've shown the blighter who's boss with a punishment regime of single legged squats! To be fair, it wasn't whacked with a tow bar though, so more of a fighting chance I guess!

Now then, are we approaching a point on this forum where there are fewer of us without England vests than with :-). My only hope for one is to still be running in my 90's!!!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Single legged squats! Bus.
    I can hardly do those at all, even with a good leg.

Currently, I can barely go into the squat, before I get a stab from the lower outside of the knee. Whereupon the whole thing collapses; or would if I didn't stop.
    It's worse if I've been sitting down for a while.

Daft thing is, there's no pain or discomfort at any other time or place.
    I walk about and cycle with no issues at all. It's just one position of the leg which catches me out.

🙂

• 'Now then, are we approaching a point on this forum where there are fewer of us without England vests than with :-). My only hope for one is to still be running in my 90's!!!'

Going for the long game then Bus? That was my fall back option, although I'm hoping to be in 'Last of the Summer wine mode' by then - Long walks, pub lunches and annoying café owners :)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bus, just turn up one of  the masters events. They're abroad, you're wearing a GB vet, you're an international job done.

Was doing a squat this morn...pre sesh but we probably shouldn't talk about that.

16x400m at 10k pb pace (1.22 lap) off 200m jog recovery

In true Moz training style, i clocked the 2 sessions for the week, and instantly one i didn't fancy (7m MP) and one i did (this one)
    As usual, it panned out both were equal workouts

Normally i'd do 400s, max of 12, with stop recovery at a faster pace. Therefore, today being jog recovery makes it a continuous 6mile session.

Took a while to actually get a rep to hit 1.22.
    Apart from one rep coming out 1.25, where i'd obviously eased down too much after a couple of 1.20s, fairly comfortably kept quicker than 1.22

Reps starting with... (average 1.21)

1x1.18
    1x1.19
    4x1.20
    5x1.21
    3x1.22
    1x1.23
    1x1.25

Recoveries  (average 55-56)
    1x52 (the last one,...so an outlier)
    7x55
    5x56
    2x57
    1x58(probably after 1.18) 

Generated some serious body warmth on this one!
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Simon, I've been scoping out suitable drinking establishments in Derry.  Right next to the town centre, I have discovered the Bogside Inn and quite close to the hotel.  Bogside of course being one of the more notorious areas from the Troubles.  Looking at Streetview, opposite is a Bloody Sunday mural, and a handwritten sign saying "Brits Out - IRA".

I reckon we wander in there and, in our plummiest home counties accent, ask to see the wine list.

Big number of reps there SG. 

Bus, maybe you should look at another sport.  Is there an international tiddliwinks team?

• Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Sounds a good plan Dachs - hope you get another form OK! Although I'm not sure when the 'do' goes onto though - are you going? - i'll message you. I'm in a B&B, not at the main hotel. Prime target for mugging after some drinks!

'Bus, just turn up one of  the masters events. They're abroad, you're wearing a GB vet, you're an international job done.''   Nice try :) ...my mate plays for Scottish masters Petanque. Beat England 13-0 last time out. Years ago we were laughing about representing your country and trying to find the easiest sport to do it in. I think he wins...

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Dachs - tiddlywinks is far too dangerous. You can have someone's eye out with those things! Maybe Petanque is the option....

Sounds like there's some proper damage in there to heal Ric. is it showing any sign of progress? As for single leg squats, they're easy when you have stumpy little Welsh legs like mine :-)

Crikey SG - that's some session!!!

Bit late in the day, but either you or Phil about for a long off-roader tomorrow morning?