Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Bus, if you are Welsh, you should able to compete internationally at any sport at any level.  It's basically the English B team ;)

• Years ago we were laughing about representing your country and trying to find the easiest sport to do it in. I think he wins...

We always used to enter the world crabbing championships. All you need to do is turn up, pay £1 and say who you are representing. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Bus, did you return down 50 times after your post :)

A Sat long run meet up may work well one week, ideally a day I have a United game on a Sunday, but alas not tomorrow. 58miles Mon - Fri and 5x6am wakeups = tomorrow is a glorious lie in!

• The Bus said:

Bit late in the day, but either you or Phil about for a long off-roader tomorrow morning?

How long and when?
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Dean - only Welsh on my dad's side, but maybe some room to compete as a vet with a dragon on my vest! Mind you, b team or not, its still a Welshman that holds the fastest UK marathon time and that trumps the lot!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Similar wake-ups for me this week SG, and need for sleep tomorrow - the other famous Mr Jones will be joining me at 10 though (after a parkrun!!!) for a longish one....(making me feel lazy!)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Very enjoyable off-roader with Philip this morning - most impressed that a) he'd already done a parkrun beforehand and b) despite wearing roads shoes, he seemed to slip less than me on the mud!

So, with the world put to rights and 13.3M done then I can put my feet up. Makes 53M and just shy of 5000ft for the week, but more importantly puts my 4 week average at 50M for the first time since May!
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Had a run out at the Parkrun myself. Planned on having a bit of a jog round with some familiar faces. Set off half way back in the field and behind dog walkers and buggy pushers. Chatting away to a few different people I knew through the first mile and noticed that although the first mile was 6 mins I wasn't a million miles away from the leaders. Decided to see if I could reel a few in and mile 2 was 5.27 which saw me take first spot and  then the third mile was 5.19. 
    Calves were sore at the end so I definitely need to take it easy for a bit but 17.40ish in the end. 
  • PhilipMJonesPhilipMJones ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    The Bus said:
    Very enjoyable off-roader with Philip this morning - most impressed that a) he'd already done a parkrun beforehand and b) despite wearing roads shoes, he seemed to slip less than me on the mud!

Odd thing was Strava afterwards. I left my GPS in the office so Bus sent me his trace and I uploaded the trace back to Strava and I did 2:03:25 at 9:19/mi and Bus took 2:04:34 at 9:22/m pace so I was over a minute faster even though Bus did the running for both of us. Have to admit the parkrun started to make itself obvious towards the end so Bus ran the last few extra hills while I walked (but they get credited to my Starva account :-) ) Think the biggest issue was just time on the feet: I was at parkrun by 8:30 and finished with Bus past 12 noon so just a long time out in very humid weather.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Ah for the days of a long run. 20 miles XC please.

The in house physio has been working on the leg. A lump of scar tissue buried behind the head of the fibula was detected and given the treatment. Result, an impressive size bruise appeared, along with losing the unsettling twinge.

Jogged a couple of miles with no problems. Just a tad uncoordinated. 

🙂

• Hey all, dropping in quick - Long few days!! Up for 3 days solid now very tired 

Baby Lucas born at 33 + 4 yesterday morning. 14 hour labour ending in cSection and then missus getting / having sepsis so both in intensive care. He's much better though responding to anti biotics and she's being looked after too!! He's actually a really good weight (5lbs 14) but needs breathing support for now.  So horrible neither will be home for a few weeks now and she hadn't been able to see him, but lucky to be here and a Dad again!! 

All the best everyone!! 

On the run front - No running for me last week anyway bar a single mile at an event. Very busy week. Back to work tomorrow :( no paternity leave but will have some time off when he comes home 
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats scotty. Some good real life importance stuff there. Speedy recovery to all.including yourself!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Nice one Scott - all the best for a speedy recuperation for the pair of them now.

That's good news Ric. Can he come and sort me out too? ;-)

Weird how the same file, on the same programme can do that Philip!

Nice east walk in the Chilterns this morning admiring the trees...

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Congratulations Scott, I remember my second was in an incubator for a week or so and it was all the more special when they came home but frustrating at the time.

I had 3 days off running, did a 50 mile bike ride on Saturday and then went to the club awards night and got pretty drunk, it might have been the 5 Jager Bombs in 5 minutes. I was celebrating picking up 5 club champion awards though.

Easy 8 miles at lunchtime, considering the previous nights excess, slight cold and no sleep, it was actually not too bad.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the new arrival Scott; echo SG's comment on what is important in life and the speedy recovery wishes for all.

Onto the trivia of running that we all obsess about and today was Cabbage Patch 10; one of my favourite races as it is reasonably local; well organised, fairly priced, easy parking, decent tech shirt for all and a pretty fast course. Was a bit unsure whether to run it during the week as not trained really for as long as a 10 miler and my main target is Fleet 10k next week. Usual crowd at the start as weirdly it is still gun to chip meaning you can't afford to lose much time crossing the line. 

Got off to a decent start and through the first k sub 3'40. Quickly worked out that was sub hour pace so reined back in and settled into 3'55ish pace and held position at that till half way in exactly 31 (which was top end of the plan). Had been running alongside a club colleague the whole way which was odd as we had done the same at Staines last year without any prior discussion either time. He had done Oxford Half in 1'23 last week so legs were probably even more shot than mine (after just 2 pr's and Metros xc in the last 8 days :) ). The last 3 miles are pretty tough here; firstly a riverside stretch on a slower surface, then the steps up to Richmond bridge then a twisty finish through the back roads of Twickenham. Times slowed to over 4 mins a k but found a bit in the last one to end with a 3'50 and just hold off my club colleague and finish in 63'33 and 63rd out of the 1600 or so field. Very pleased with that and only 48 seconds off my 10 mile pb, but don't rate my chances of going sub 38 next week as 39 to the 10k point felt hard today. 

Ric; your guy Nigel Rackham knocked out a 56 min 10 miler; unreal for a guy over 55 and over 90% WAVA. Think he wasn't far off top 10 which is incredible given the strength at the sharp end in this one. Was only 5th v50 myself which shows the quality of the field. 

Oh yes, parkrun; Reading again for me and despite improving from 18'45 to 18'38 was only 14th this week from 4th last week. Just shows how the quality of the fields in these vary enormously week by week. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good work Pete. Tidy enough for you, despite the usual unnecessary parkrun, let alone Rackham. When I was doing low 57s for 10miles I'd say I felt at peak fitness, so even quicker, and 20+ years older is madness.

You sound back to top condition esque terrain though, which after the accident however long ago now is the main thing.

5 awards Reg? How many are issued? Sounds a bit of a sweep! I did contemplate a bit of a go of at least qualifying in our club champs, but to be honest I've had my fill of being "obligated" to do certain races I have low interest in, plus haven't got my head round longer events yet, and i'd missed some of the flimsy shorter stuff pre joining.

14 today makes a 72, matching the top this year. 140 over 2 weeks.

A week with a sub 6 7miler, 16x400 at 1.21 ish and a 14 at 7.05. May at some stage allow myself to think i'm not too bad a shape.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    You need to put all that mileage to good use SG and get some races in - dont try and save it until you are Mr Rackham's age :-)

Cracking job at Cabbage Patch Pete. Must do that one again - if only 'cos my t shirt has Fosters on it not London Pride!

Good award scooping Reg. Did you have to give 5 thank you speeches?!
  • Congrats Scott. Home the missus gets better soon as well and pay her some attention:  all too often they get missed in the fuss over the new born.

PeteM said:
    today was Cabbage Patch 10; one of my favourite races as it is reasonably local; well organised, fairly priced, easy parking, decent tech shirt for all and a pretty fast course. 

Odd, was just looking at the results and thinking:
    1) that used to be a big race on the calendar and lots of the thread used to race it and it came and went without me noticing
    2) 33 went sub-hour yesterday from 1,600 entries and in 2011 (when I was 5th home for the thread) I was 72nd in 59:26 and 80 went sub 60. 

It used to be Datchet Club champs event but the price has gone up so much. So agree with local and fastish course but not the price and that has driven away the depth.
  • Great Run Pete - Done the Cabbage patch a couple of times, the last long sleeve I got from there was left at the start of the Berlin marathon to never to be seen again (it was what it would have wanted..)

Congrats Scott! Hope you get the little one back soon, never straightforward with you is it :) Good drinking prowess there Reg. Good old Jaeger.

So off to Reigate on Saturday for the first xc of the season. Pretty fast course and bone dry. Went off quite quickly first lap which is basically along the front of a wooded ridge, around the side of it, down the back of the ridge to the other end, short steep climb to the top of ridge, along the top in the other direction, then a downhill to the front of the wood and back into the field. All fast and frenetic.

started the 2nd lap and started to fade a bit. I hate the first warm xc, as you've been training in the cool and the evening, the suddenly you have a warm afternoon race to do. I think I went from 29/30th to finish 34th in the end, hoping for top 30 tbh. But, it's the first slightly disappointing race for a while, so can't be too critical and it wasn't a disaster..7.5/10 performance perhaps. Met one of my V45 England team mates who runs for Thames H&H and he finished a couple of seconds ahead of me. Few beers after and some back in LB with some LBAC.

Yesterday I took the kid to the junior parkrun and then as the missus was doing massage at a duathalon in Bedfor I couldn't do my long run until 3. did 16/17 hilly miles and now I'm shot!

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    It used to be Datchet Club champs event but the price has gone up so much. So agree with local and fastish course but not the price and that has driven away the depth.
    Philip, you're a hard man to please re prices. 

To quote from a Guardian Article on the Race (admittedly last year's version!)

"For your race entry fee, you get a very well marshalled and organised race, a long-sleeve technical T-shirt, a medal, a Mars Bar, bananas, water and (though I missed this) apparently a free beer at mile nine. Now that, surely, is good value."

I think entry was about £25 this year which is pretty good for all the above I reckon, not to mention there were also cans of London Pride freely given out at the finish which is rather more useful to most of us than at mile nine (which I did see unlike the Guardian writer and was momentarily tempted by
    :) ). You are no doubt right about the quality at the front end; but there is still way more than most local races though. Maybe some are thinking they may as well run races with a chance of winning something, especially if they are in a Vets cat as CP10 offers very little in that regard.  
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Free beer???? And I missed it! Bugger....

Humid too Simon - not surprised it didn't quite happen. Very warm on my morning commute today...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    £25 for what is a big rep race, in that area of the country doesn't sound too out of control to me.
    I'd say the rep of the race and how quickly it sells out is more of an off putter for it to be a club champ race.

Another outing for Simon. You must have raced about 20 times since I last did :)

6&4 today, and then a slightly harder tempo than last week tomorrow.
  • PeteM said:
    Philip, you're a hard man to please re prices. 

To quote from a Guardian Article on the Race (admittedly last year's version!)

"For your race entry fee, you get a very well marshalled and organised race, a long-sleeve technical T-shirt, a medal, a Mars Bar, bananas, water and (though I missed this) apparently a free beer at mile nine. Now that, surely, is good value."

I think entry was about £25 this year which is pretty good for all the above I reckon, not to mention there were also cans of London Pride freely given out at the finish which is rather more useful to most of us than at mile nine (which I did see unlike the Guardian writer and was momentarily tempted by :) ). You are no doubt right about the quality at the front end; but there is still way more than most local races though. Maybe some are thinking they may as well run races with a chance of winning something, especially if they are in a Vets cat as CP10 offers very little in that regard.  
    Just had a look back. 2011 was £17 so that is about 8% compound increase over the years. If it were priced as per inflation it would be about £19.
  • Costs don't necessarily go up with inflation, it's £1 more than Wokingham Half, so that makes it look slightly overpriced but it's still no big deal. You want to do a few triathlons! 

• SG - Race to get fit, it's always the best way - and the good thing is you can skip a few training sessions as it counts as a hard session. Southern xc relays next Saturday, weekend off at the end of the month, and then national xc relays, surrey league, the masters international, then Wolverton 5 takes care of November :)

Bus - yeah horrible this morning, so sweaty! although the temperature drop in Regents Pk was lovely..must have dropped 5 degrees within 20 metres of running!

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Yes not quite as good value as it was but still very reasonable IMO (especially with the free tech shirt, not to mention the beers!). Still cheaper than Vitality 10k in London and Brighton 10 miler and way cheaper than Great South 10 miler. As Reg says the world of triathlons is often 3 figure entry prices; even that low key duathlon I did in Swallowfield recently was far more than CP10.  
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Huge congratulations Scott!  Hope all is well and you're able to get the young 'un home as soon as possible.

Pete, sounds like a very solid run at Cabbage Patch.  Parkruns the day before a 10 miler are pushing it even for you, aren't they?

Simon, shame you were disappointed with the XC, but doesn't sound like you were too far off.

Disappointing XCs were also the order of the day for me.  Hampshire League at Bournemouth, on a course which should suit me, and all I could manage was 26th.  Last season's results were 18, 13 and 11.  Felt like crap from lap 1 of 4, and it all went downhill from there.  I'm training through the XC races, so wouldn't have been as fresh as some others, but that was true last year as well.  Only 3rd vet, when I really should have been looking at winning it.  Not the end of the world, but I really hope I can grasp some form from somewhere over the next month, or I will be stinking the joint up in an England vest.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

congrats and good luck with the baby - scott

Pete, likewise as dachs says, parkrun before a 10m race?!? however the race seemed to go very well so congrats

Simon and dachs - I hear your pain regards xc.  the other week I finished 12th in a race I finished 4th the previous yr. and was soundly beaten by some people who normally wouldn't even see me finish let alone finish ahead.  time and training will sort us all out and im sure come Derry you will both be flying.

cabbage patch 10...I remember when you lot would witter on about that race for weeks. mind you you all spent as much time discussing Sam Amend as much as the race it self.   it seemed very popular and was tempted to come down with Stevie See but never managed it.

congrats on your 5 honours reg and associated jaegers

Chin up Ric...seems like you have been under the cosh for a few months.  it will come good....eventually :)

• The Bus said:

tiddlywinks is far too dangerous

Talking of tiddlywinks, I see a fresh outbreak of arbitrary world records so someone has broken the "800 MARATHONS WORLD RECORD" so is apparently "First person to average sub 3:20 for 800 official marathon races!".

Seems that you can pick pretty arbitrary definitions nowadays so e.g. run 26.2 miles round Dorney Lake with a handful of friends = official marathon. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I dare say Dachs that your standards are a harsh mistress these days! But like you say, that's your drive! Back to form soon no doubt.

Schedule had another 7m MP tempo, with an "ending harder if possible"

This week's version seemed to settle at 1.30 lapping, rather than 1.29 last week, but a small difference, perhaps the windier track, or me being a bit more wary of this after last week, or even "saving" it for a bigger effort at the end a bit.
    At lap 19, without any conscious step up in effort started hitting the 1.29s and saw it through to lap 26 like that.
    The faster ending was a 1.28, 1.27 and 42sec last 200m to make it 11,400 metres (the 7miles, plus rounding the 63m to 200m for ease)

so 1x1.27, 2x1.28, 9x1.29, 12x1.30, 4x1.31
    Felt a different session to last week, didn't smoke with heat, so maybe it was conditions related, with today cooler.

Worst part of such a session is probably when you're about 10-12 laps in, and you know you're not even half way despite going for a fair time, and still have to put in another 14-16 laps

Great when over though. Marvellous