Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Nice review all.

Just an injury update from me. Ankle has not progressed like previous occurrences. I am still limping a bit and I am considering seeing a doctor to get an x-ray, I don't think there is a fracture but there is some dull aching more reminiscent of bone rather than ligament damage.

When I turned it I remember seeing my foot at a right angle to the point that my ankle bone would have been in contact with the ground whilst I was still upright, which can't be good for it!

I have managed to do some cycling wihtout too much pain apart from the ankle being so swollen it presses agains my shoe.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Deffo sounds worth the professional check Reggie. Can be a fine line between minor and major damage in the look and feel sometimes! Yours looked pretty severe for a turned ankle, but let's hope that's all it is.

Normally I wouldn't dream of following up something like yesterday with a hard session, but I'm off work for a week, and didn't want to miss the Datchet session.

So I figured that a morning 16/ next day evening having slept most of the day away as a sort of compensation recovery would work ok.

Just a 4mile pootle lunchtime, so got over there.

6x4mins hills, off 1min.  Decent climb for the first part, levelled out, slight down, steepish very short up, then the flat and down, and repeat.

Depending on whether your rep had more of the up or down, i covered between 0.65m and 0.7m per 4mins, so all in all, with a dreadful 0.5mile warm up, but 2mile cool down, a7mile shift.

Incredibly about 70 there, and had some fun monstering around. Led things home, and near the end the heavy rain kicked in. Magnificient.

I was amazed how quickly 70 people can disappear after, and after a couple of min chat with the boy Samson, everyone had gone, leaving me a 30min drive home satisfied with a good evening's work.

Lie in tomorrow :)

• Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Right here we go. Firstly the last few days, did 8 x 800 in rediculously windy weather with the crappy heavy boosts on, then double parkrun yesterday. Got to Aylesbury and it was a different course due to flooding, bit repetitive but not too bad, but two slopes this time. The same guy who beat me, Dave Hudson was there and although I got around 10 metres behind, I couldn't make up the gap and ended up in 2nd with 17.07, found it quite breathy as I didn't have a warm up and it was bloody cold. So me and my mate Pete set off for Tring quite quickly, doing around 6.30's for the first 5 miles. Slowed up through Aston Clinton and up the hill to the A41 junction, then going down to TrIng I found out that my quads were really stiff..not felt like that before. anyway, set off very slowly to try and get my legs warmed up and slowly went up from 20th to 3rd and stayed there from the top of the main hill and down out into the hilly fields. Ended up with 19.20 odd, so 30 secs slower than last year. Hudson won Tring too, but drove between the two..so not a proper Kimpton. MY LEGS!! Jesus, never felt as stiff after a race apart from the two marathons. Must be age eh. 

So for the year..

Races- 56 in total (many on the same day/event) from 800 up to 10k with various cross countries thrown in.
    PB's - At my age? ;) Still think lowering my 8.53 3000m PB is possible. 
    Rankings - 2nd V45 in the U.K. at 1500,3000, 5000m and 5 miles. 

Performance of the year- the 1500m final in Denmark. Easily the most nervous I have been before a race, but the game plan worked virtually to a tee to go out hard at the start. Just pips the 5000m, which was more fun. The whole trip was amazing, meeting up with Dean and his crew too was great, sharing a beer after.  Obviously Derry was a great laugh and I ran pretty well, great meeting up with Dachs and his missus too. Also nice having a pint with Alehouse and SG after the LFOTM in March. 

Dissappointments - Not too many cock ups, the BUPA10,000 was crap, up from Poole on the day, too warm, too far back and scrambled back to 33.54. The national at Nottingham I was injured and was really crap in 415th. The price of beer in the pub after the LFOTM in March. 

Performance of the year- I think we have a good collection of the best performances so far. Or think I will have to go with Dach's sub 70 Half. With the nods to Dean's ridiculous silver in Denmark (no right to get that ;)) and superb marathons from Reg and ML84. 

Poster/person of the year - Agree about PeteM and his response to his accident (very good character evaluation too mate!!) Great return. Bus solid as ever, nice seeing SG everywhere too! But Scotty's trials and tribulations and the way he has faced them has put everything into perspective. Tied into this, big thumbs up to Ric for his reflections on some of those posts a few weeks ago. 

So here's to another good year of running. And no bloody injuries!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that endorsement Simon.

Reading the reviews puts a little more detail into the many feats. I mean, in Deans case, I find it remarkable how well he did considering the injuries he sustained.
    Well done to everyone on last years efforts. The reports clearly proved those efforts are not wasted, the words make them a historical fact.

Training for me has been doing an easy 5 miles each of the past five days. Managed an easy 6 miles early on. Seems the latest storm has succeeded in turning my local area into one huge rubbish dump - wheelie bins blown over, contents distributed liberally.
    Dare I go out again later?

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Bike to station was interesting this morning too Ric - flooded roads and tree debris everywhere!

You 'double pr and run between' boys are all bonkers! SG - you have changed, LSR then the double pr then a hill session - you wouldn't have done that a couple of year's back!

Simon - that Hudson guy is an interesting one. Seemed to come from nowhere, pretty quick, friendly enough but very sweary - borderline Tourette's!

Reg - that doesn't sound good. Hoop you can get it sorted quick.

Double for me yesterday, with a trip and fall on the first one half a mile from the station. Nice forward roll involved, but cut both hands. The right one was small, but deepish and bled profusely. By the time I got to the station, I was covered in blood all over my hand with it dripping from my fingers! Combined with the healthy covering of mud I must have looked a right sight! The ground is so sodden currently - can't remember it being worse in 12 years of running this route.

Looks a bit breezy still for any sort of session at lunch, and I'm still coughing like a seal so may take it easy.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good parkrunning and racing over Xmas all.  I was laid low with illness around xmas, and then in Germany over new year, so managed to miss most of it.  Will have a proper read when I get a moment.

Meantime, here's my review.

Total amount of races in 2017

Different distances raced at

1500/3000/5K/10K/10 miles/HM

Year's mileage (versus last year if you like)

3,740 (vs 3,491 last year)

Pbs

• 5000 – 15:25 (Yate)

• 10000 – 32:05 (Highgate)

• 10 miles – 53:46 (Maidenhead)

• Half marathon – 69:52 (Wokingham)

Race wins/prizes/awards - team or individual

• 3 race wins – Woodley 10K and 2 x Yateley 10K (and the overall series)

• Team silver in British and Irish Masters XC V40 (England)

• British Masters 5000 bronze (V35)

• Berkshire V35 XC champion (in January at least, I have the December medal too but no-one’s yet told me if I have to give it back!)

• Various end of year rankings, but best is 152nd half marathon overall

Highlights of the Year

Two big ones are obvious really.

Firstly, that sub 70 at Wokingham may well end up being, when my serious running days are over, my best moment.  I had never seriously thought until a month or two before that I’d ever be in the shape to break that target, so it was mind-blowing to actually do it.  I still struggle to believe I actually did it sometimes.

Secondly, the England V40 vest.  No, I didn’t run particularly well for various reasons, but an international appearance will always be something to treasure, even if it is at rickety old man level and even if I did benefit from faster people not wanting to spend a weekend in Northern Ireland in November.  The weekend itself and the whole experience was excellent too.

Highgate 10,000 was also good, including getting namechecked on the internet coverage, where they said it was “good to see me mixing it with the youngsters”, and it was also nice to sneak top 100 in the inter counties.

I have also just realised that in 4 of my 5 cross country races this winter, I have held off fast finishers. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not Dean or Mike Rushton, pouncing from behind in a scorching sprint, but when other runners have tried to come past with a big surge I’ve managed to prevent it, which is good for me.  Partly confidence I think.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Lowlights / regrets / challenges from the year

Mainly it’s the way the year petered out after Wokingham.  I ran some PBs in spring and early summer, but not as quick as I might have hoped after Wokingham, and since August my racing has been downright poor.  In fact, my year has been almost identical to 2015, which was also a non-marathoning year  - Huge expectation shattering half mara PB in February, mediocre spring and summer with small 5000 track PB, then everything falls apart in the autumn.  There is a lesson to be learned there about resetting after a peak rather than trying to string it out as long as possible.  Whilst I don’t enjoy marathons, they do force me to structure my year better.

Was also a shame to underperform in Derry due to that idiotic Hampshire League race the week before.

Still, if at the beginning of 2017 you’d have offered me a sub 70 half followed by a load of crap for the rest of the year, I’d have bitten your hand off.

2018 Targets

Sub 32 10K for sure.  I am also working on an attempt at a 2:30 marathon at Brighton.  I’m going to change my approach, stop worrying about what I ‘should’ be capable of and pacing accordingly, and just go for it.  It could be excellent, and it could be appalling.

And in September, I want to go to the World Masters in Malaga.

Performance of the year

Very impressive stuff at the European masters from Simon and Dean, but since Dean nabbed that cheeky silver amidst a slew of shite (relatively speaking) races, he has to edge it.

Thread poster of the year

I’m going for Stevie G for his return to actually enjoying running and racing and writing long old race reports.  Should’ve done it earlier!

One to watch in 2017

Scott clearly has the most talent here, but we should probably stop cursing him. I don’t think Matt L has found his niche, and I really think once he does, he will fly.  Since he spends so much of his time doing long runs around the fells, maybe that’s where his heart is and what he should concentrate on?

• Nice summation Dachs. Would be nice to hear from CC82 actually also. Might have to pester him on facebook and see what he's up to.

Legs recovered pretty well. Got to do the LBAC stag trophy 4k thing tonight..as I've missed 2 already. Sub 13 will definitely not be happening, even if the gale is in the best direction for a semi decent time.

Gear wise - as the Gel Hyperspeed are no more I have ordered some Saucony Type A. Stupidly expensive at £95 but £50 from 1st V40 at Wolverton 5 and the rest as xmas present. Did like the look of those Mizuno Ediken Dachs suggested, but hardly any around. The type A have good reviews, so will see what they are like, just need to get those cheap Adidas Glide from Start fitness them I'm sorted!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice one Dachs. Can't knock your last year. Not like any real down time through injuries or anything to truly bring it down. Sure 2018 will be a big in.

ps Simon, how many races last year! Wowzers.

Just a 7 and a lot of sleep today. Like Bus says, it has been a big last 3 days, so a single today was plenty.

Did have a little gander at the Leicester 5k tonight, but a solo 200mile round trip after the last 3 days would be truly stupid. Let alone how windy and stormy it's been the last day or so.

There's plenty of time for keenness for turnouts, without forcing it!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Stoopid is as stoopid does SG ;-)

Dachs - cracking review. That sub 70 is definitely one to be telling the grandkids too (especially as by then, the best club runners will be around 90 min pace!!!!). I wouldn't rule out bettering it either....

8M road at lunch time. Pushed it relatively hard - probably averaging around MP effort - and, given the fierce wind on the way out, was happy enough with 6:44.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice in, Bus. Wouldn't fancy any sort of fast running today in this wind.

Second half of today has been a real lazy fest. Can it be a lazy day with a 7miler banked? It's all relative. Enjoyed some Cadbury's buttons! That's the last of that sort of behaviour now!

Just noticed they've put the Marlow 5 and the Staines 10k on the same day this year. Arseholes!

At least the Eastleigh 10k and Reading half clashing has a bit more distance in between the venues. But one of the other 2 has purposely moved their event to clash. Oh well! Marlow 5 is such a hub event with all the local rivals and clubs it's hard to justify missing it if fit.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Marlow 5 used to clash with the Woodley 10K, so it's always clashed with something.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Staines 10k is when you'd expect. It is always on the Sunday in the 13-19 May range these days and always sells out within a day or two of opening, so no need for them to worry about any other races. Looking at Marlow 5 history it seems to be 7-13 May, so I think it is an inadvertent clash you just get every 7 years. Will miss you if you got to Marlow SG; Staines might even see Ric racing again ;)  
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Indeed Pete, though the fastest I'm likely to move as regards this event is getting the entry in. To think it was possible once to enter on the day.
    Second run for me just now. Still only jogging but that'll do. My mistake last year was pushing the pace too often.
     Load of blubber to shift as well. Such is the by product of many many bottles of red wine. 

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Marlow has always been the Sunday after the May bank holiday. Last year it clashed with one of those Mud runner jobs in Henley, and it caused all sorts of issues with the road closures, so I wonder if they have moved it to avoid that perhaps?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Am sure there's a sensible reason. In fairness while you want some year in year outers, it's good to spice the roll call up a bit.

Just been watching a few youtube vids from baze87 (I think)

Ranges from bootleg parkruns to Comrades marathon! Films them with either a headcam or some other device.

Comrades seems mental, 54miler, and if you don't get in before 12 hours they just shut it all down and you don't even get a medal!

Can imagine the cramping up of all muscles just from watching it.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Increasingly, to the dark side you are turning master SG.....

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Being open to more Datchet stuff is one thing, but I won't be doing anything race wise beyond a half any time ever!
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    SG, get the Salford 10k in your diary. It's on Good Friday and man united are at home the day after. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

You know what Matt, I had my eyes on a "Nice work" 5k in North Wales on the Sat morn, but the main problem is that the March games aren't confirmed yet, and it could be moved off the Sat.

Also we have the Maidenhead 10 our way on GF, and I haven't done a 10miler since 2013 I think now, which is ridiculous! Not to mention the club have made it a champs race, and ideally by then i'd have safely made it through a half marathon, so 10 won't feel too much.

Nothing is confirmed though, and any northern race suggestions are welcome, I will get up there and do something!

You can tell my running obsessed mode is at 101% at the mo, from my admissions at watching randoms running races with go pros :)

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I must be keen. I've been awake since 3:30 and it's raining. Yet I fancy a run regardless.

My discovery made last winter for running in the rain without getting cold and not wearing a rain jacket, is to wear two Hellys. Long sleeve followed by short. Peaked cap and gloves are useful.

The lower half is slightly more awkward. Can't do the long socks (not in public) since someone cat called "Go for it Britney!". You've seen the video - take note and beware.

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

just read back the last few days.  good reviews all interesting to see the tone and underbelly in each different one.  some are happy with running local races, others winning national/international medals and  spend focus on the races/sessions that didn't go to plan.  I guess that's what drives us all on...differing priorities yet all getting to similar personal goals.  great stuff.

Also reading back forgot some big events like matts warrington hm win and dachs BMAF track 5k medal.  you must have had good yrs when those performances aren't to the forefront!

Scott forgot about your 3000 and 5000 races....v fast considering what you have had to deal with.  I guess you just need a break to allow you to run

Dachs 5k in Malaga?  I might consider a 1500 5000 double up (primarily to avoid whiteman) but as I will be  a v45 by then I wont be a bother to you...only Simon ;)

welcome back from your travels ric

good racing already by many of you over xmas/New yr. First race is probably this weekend...either county xc or telford 10k.  im in no shape for either

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    No such thing as 101% enthusiasm SG.  You've been watching football too long.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That's OK Dean - no one is allowed to be in shape for the first one :-)

Ric - I wear similar when it's cold, but swap the second t for either a windproof gilet or full windproof when it is particularly windy and cold. The gilet is a great piece of kit, as it is only windproof on the front where you need it, extremely breathable and weighs almost nothing. It's rare to overheat in it, but it really makes a difference to keep the wind chill off your core.

I thought it couldn't get any muddier than Tuesday's run. I was wrong! It was like a six mile long swamp this morning - crazy stuff! Had to shower with all my clothes on!

Seem to have picked up a bit of a calf twinge, so need to be a bit careful this close to a proper race! Didn't notice it running yesterday, but the bike road home was sore and it was quite tight this morning.

• Bloody Hell Bus you seem to get into a right state getting to work!

Dean - So not going to Malaga was just a big ruse in the end to make me think I might have half a chance :). If I go it will have to be just for a short visit to do the 1500 - aim just to get in the final. That way I can really hammer some 200 & 400 reps during the summer and with that try and post a decent 800 too in the UK.

Did the LBAC stag thingey last night, wind was in the right direction at least. 3 lap 4k blast in which I was never going to beat my 12.55 from November. Still ran OK though and got 13.17. It's a handicap race though so I finished in the bottom half. Went off with a young lad called Jordan who is now starting to fly - his dad was a sub 70 HM man and Jordan has now done 15.15 I think for 5k..he did 12.42 last night. Kids eh...

• I had to laugh at the image of a fully dressed Bus in the shower.

Kids indeed. I sometimes wonder how I was able to run faster as an untrained 16 year old than now. Then I remember that I was about 20 lbs lighter.

I was planning on visiting the doctor tomorrow as I am working from home. Potential good news though is that it feels a bit better today. Makes me think maybe i'm only a week or so away from some gentle running.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it annoys me when my lad can always outspring at the end of a run, even when he's been struggling the rest of the way round to keep up with his old man! 

Reg - I'd rater that than you laughing at a fully undressed me in the shower :-)

Simon - still bloody quick (for an old bloke!)

Dean, forgot to say earlier, I for one would be happier winning international medals than local races, but it isn't a choice - just a small thing called talent to build the hard work onto :-)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Now, now, Bus, we need to be happy running our little local races :):)

•  Comes at a cost Bus. That Denmark trip has screwed up my finances basically ;)
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Bus :) no slight intended, if that's what you meant. But I found all the reviews interesting, one thing I felt was the tone in some focused on the negative races/training more as i imagine is the driving force to not repeat that feeling to go on and improve...whereas others got their drive from running up snowden in your case or local races in others and focusing on the positives of racing.