Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Nice long run SG. Glad to see you've signed up for Wokingham - surprised there are still places mind.

Casual Matt, casual ;-)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

I don't think Wokingham has been as hot a sign up ticket since the early days of this thread to be honest Bus.

I have been monitoring it, and there were only about 1,300 places out of 3,000 taken when I last checked

Only 1,724 now. (This is me crudely using "select all" on their list and pasting into excel...I will literally do now though!

Pete, if a guy racing quicker than me is only going sub 19, I certainly don't want to be trying it :)

I'm still trying to reassure myself about the 17.59 and 17.47/18.27 double :)

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    SG, just 2 doubles this week. 
    M-10
    T-10
    W- 4/ 10
    Th - 10
    Fr - 8
    Sat- 11/4
    S-20

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

No day off. That's a good adder onner.

Looks oh so easy on paper like that if you look quickly doesn't it :)

Surprised you're not tempted to put in a midweek "Medium long" of say 14-15

• Would definitely agree with you, SG, re ML's week: a midweek run of two-thirds to three-quarters of the long run, in my view, for serious marathoners. And a couple more 4 milers or so to make it four or five doubles!
    By and large I would prefer to work by time, so if the long run is two and a half hours the second long run should be one hour forty to fifty: working by time takes more account of the terrain which may be more significant in ML's case.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Matthew HeadMatthew Head ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Wow, Dachs, like everyone else has said, that must have been horrible to experience. I hope your other clubmates affected are okay. Not an easy thing to get over.

ML, that's some great mileage - not to mention your casual 20 today! Whats the mileage target for this year? How's the plantar?

Good parkrunning Pete! Any particular targets for the year?

Bus, nice effort running by HR, I always find it takes a while to not only get used to easy efforts uphill, but also the downs!

Midweek long runs is something I don't think I could hack, SG! Major kudos if you manage to pull them off. Any other particular races you think you'll target this year?

Had a 7 hour journey back from Leeds yesterday - 4.5 hours on a train, an hour on a rail replacement bus and 1.5 hours drive from Plymouth to Truro... Got back just gone midnight!
    So, naturally, glad to stretch the legs after a lazy day doing nout :)
    6.3mi at 8:08/mi for 75.7%MaxHR - upward trend of pace v HR continues, despite completing a 30+ mi week (36 total) for nearly 3 months!

Pete, to refer back about speeding up - that's something I'm going to let progress by itself. Just keep plugging at the easy runs and watch the pace drop.
    I do plan to start some sessions soon, potentially return to the track on Tuesday as the session is 10 x 400m, but I'll likely do 8 if I do. Then slide in some tempo sessions later on.
    This is all assuming foot stays as good as it is - I've no reason to believe it won't, as I have no issues at all now. It seems it was just one of those things having to wait a period of time for it to sort itself! :)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Long trip Matt! Hope you see off the problemos, and have a cracking start, that improves as the year goes on!

But welcome to my fb, I will try not to obliterate your newsfeed with too much overkeen running posting...

Already tend to do a 10miler midweek in a usual week, so may just start work an hour later,  switch to a 10-6 and stack the run up a bit.

In the 6 weeks pre-half i'd ideally want to do 2-3 tempos, and at least 3-4 long runs of around 15, possibly one ending at MP/HMP paces.

But with 3 races, and wanting to "Keep in" with the club at some of their sessions, it may be an ask.

Tomorrow is day 17, and last day off work (I am counting week days or that'd be one insane length holiday), so the plan is a lovely sleep in, 4miles at lunch, then over to the track to do 12x400m with the club.

It's an easier version that what i'd do, as they split it with 4mins midway, but I dare say that, and doing it amongst people should bring some furious reps out.

At least on reps 1, 7 and 12 ;)

£4.80, which is pricey,when I have my year membership to the local track for £80, but the camaraderie is worth it. I'll have plenty of track sessions on my own this year!

i'm trying just to think XC and Wokingham for now, but in a perfect setting, i'd like to cover off this lot to the end of summer

• 12 stage and masters relays (hopefully 3 events if we make the nationals)
    • Marlow 5
    • Maidenhead 10 - first time in 7 years - overdue!
    • A stack of the 6 Summer Series 5ks (did 2 last year)
    • Gosport mile/5k
    • Eastbourne mile/5k (same format as above, mile, 45min gap, 5k)
    • Get another Ealing mile in
    • Better that 9.44 Welsh mountain hill
    • Get a LFOTM Hyde Park 5k in
    • Couple of Battersea Park 5ks
    • Possibly consider the Race the Train 14miler offroader!
    • Even possibly consider the Endure 24 event... 8 of you run consecutively for 24hours..we'll see though, pricey, and needs camping.

And somehow have a nice period of just specific 5k training in!

This could be a tough year to fit stuff in!

• MattH: if I were coaching someone returning to their first track session I would say do reps 1, 3, 5 and then see how you feel rather than be overcooking the first session by trying to hang on. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Matt L - difficult to comment as someone who never gets to that sort of mileage, and your coach knows what he's doing, but personally, I'd look at taking the Monday 10 down, say to an easy 6-7 and increasing the Thursday 10 by the same amount, to 13-14. Same mileage, but with more recovery and a second long run.
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    SG, Alehouse, for Manchester last spring I did a medium long run every Wednesday. Usually 15 miles and sometimes after a 4/5 miles in the morning. What took some doing was working 6.30am-6.30pm between the runs. :-D That was loosely following P and D. 
    For Yorkshire I was being coached so doing a session roughly every Tuesday and Thursday. Usually around 11 miles on a Wednesday and Thursdays track session would be 13 miles roughly. That's not including doubles.

At the minute I've just done week 1 of a 6 week block with a shorter race at the end and then into a 10 week specific marathon training block. Always try to get 3-4 doubles a week in but with being on holiday and not in full training swing I had a few mornings off to watch peppa pig with my daughter. :-D 

Matt, no mileage target and I've never really set out to hit one. Only hit 4000 due to doing 2 marathons. Plantar eased massively in the taper for Yorkshire and barring a couple of little bouts its not been anywhere near what it was. I'd like to say I know why it went but I don't have a clue. Haha. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Still don't know how you fit it in Matt, given you work long hours and have a family!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, don't get us wrong Matt, there is no even slight knocking of someone who regularly has the hunger and ability to smash 80+ mile weeks! Plus awkward working hours that aren't just sitting in an office!
  • Absolutely not knocking you, ML! There is a great deal of difference between an ideal training plan and the real world! Work gets in the way, and as SG hints, the type of work makes a difference. 
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I know I wasn't being knocked, haha. Thankfully I've not had to do the long hours since early last year so its made fitting it all in a lot easier. 
  • Impressive mileage still ML - I wouldn't be able to do it without the chance to do these 14 mile commuting runs.

Can't go back over the40 notifications, obviously good mile run SG and Dachs - that's awful news about the runner passing away like that - especially on the track too where everyone could see it, must have shaken everyone up. eminds me of the Stevenage road relays a few years ago when the Bedford Harrier was basically 'dead' for 8 mins, but they managed to get his heart going again.

So it was the Beds/Bucks champs at Shuttleworth nr Bedford on Saturday. The course was advertised as 11k, but I did think it strange that it was 4 big laps, rather than 3 and a half. Its a flat field to start with, then  long drag up the side of a hill, across the other side, around the back/ up and over another moderate hillock (Roman fort like!) and then meanders back to the start. So started off conservatively as usual in about 15th and basically made my way to 10th, where I was going to stay pretty much all the way through the race. No dramas really, felt pretty good most of the way round, although after the first field on the last lap I had a sneaky peek behind and saw a MK vest quite near. So I tried to push on a bit in that last lap style (more effort, about the same speed), but he got me by the final hillock. County pride gone as that meant 6 Bucks and only 4 Beds in the top 10. Hey ho!

So the distance was 8.5 miles/13k in the end - so decent warm up for Brighton I suppose, covered it in 49.48 for 11th overall, 5th Beds and automatic Intercounties place. Darren Deed won it by about 4 mins from 2nd place, he's 40 next year - will surely win the Home Countries if he enters it, that was world class masters xc running.

• Too much to catch up on. I flew out last Tuesday to New York for meetings on Wednesday and Thursday and was supposed to fly back Friday but for some odd reason as soon as a foot of  snow falls, the wind picks up to 40 mph and the temperature plummets to -16°C the Americans cannot cope with it so only got back this morning 60 hours later than planned. With the 2 planned days forecast as cold, I decided to take gym clothes and do a treadmill session but the enforced extra stay meant 4 sessions: mind-numbingly boring! Still, 40 miles for the week and still on target for 2,018 in 2018!
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Dachs - nightmare situation at your track. difficult to comprehend

Matt84 - nice pick up 2nd half on your parkrun

Simon - good work at the counties and selection.

Like simon it was our counties xc champs too but also the rearranged telford 10k from December on the sunday. This 10k is definitely not a local type race, so no good for SG ;) but a 32 gets about 80th normally. My son ran the counties and a quick look around the course made my mind up that I would run the 10k at telford. Too muddy for me! prefer a faster effort on the road.  thankfully the team still took county gold.

I knew I wasn't in 10k shape but it would help with a temp check on where I am as I work towards the indoors champs. I haven't run a session quicker than 6.30 ave pace for months unless the rep length was 400m or less.  So defn didn't have my long legs on.   unusually for me some traffic/parking excitement. about a third of the way to telford I realised I had forgotten my number and chip.  So I went back for it rather than try to wangle another at the HQ, just in case they refused.  this put me late-ish but still enough time for a warm up.  as I got closer to the car park my sat nav wouldn't find where I normally park.  20 mins later I realize the car park they used last time I drove here is now a housing estate!  a stop and google to find another postcode and im heading into the correct car park...the delay is all my fault as I realise the correct postcode to use is on the info they sent...I just used the wrong one!  I arrive 17 mins before the gun.  my number isn't on my vest, I need to swap to racers and remove many layers.  it left a "warm up" of about 0.7mile.  in a crowd.  not ideal.  anyway nothing I could do to change it.  The start is busy at the front end so you don't want to leave it too late to get in the pen. I take a spot and see a mate and get ready for the gun.   its bloody freezing!

My watch is taking all sorts of odd readings as its a tree lined course but first mile was 4.57, im going to be made to pay for that later!  I feel ok and spot a group who I know will run mid to late 31s so I tuck in. next mile is 5.07.  I still feel ok and my plan was to get to 5k in sub 16 and im on for that.  I go through 5k in 15.57.  mile 4 has the undulation in it.  Matt would scoff at these rises but for me its an undulation and it breaks my stride. 5.30 mile.  that too fast 1st mile and no warm up is hurting now , my calfs are rock solid and hurting from the 2 track sessions this week.  im getting good support from the crowd so keep going but can tell im running against the tide.  the group have drifted away and im in no mans land. mile 5 was hard, prob around 5.20 but couldnt get feeling into my legs. I notice im slipping a bit on the road due to ice/frost but its not too bad. I know a PB isn't on anymore (probably never was to be honest!) so just to try to bring it home as best as I can.   I can hear footsteps behind, im determined no one gets to pass me. 

I rally slightly and lift the pace, crossing the line in 32.36.   2nd v40 and about 45th overall (I guess the numbers were reduced as some did the counties the day before)  first time I think I haven't PB'd at a 10k. happy enough though as I knew I hadn't done any training suitable for a faster 10k time...so I will take it and start indoors.

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

*Delurk*

SG - Race the Train is a brilliant but tough race - thoroughly recommend it!

Dean - second V40 behind Ali Watson is some going, particularly off no specific 10k training and  no warm up!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice one dean. Ive been trained on here to recognise the importance of the warmup, but usually end with less for a race than a session!

I see how little the top guys at my club do and race well, then i see your lack of one and still be in and around the best you could do at this moment and you have to wonder sometimes!

Tommy, i sort of remember you did it, but can't remember if i read the write up. I dare say it could be a right slog in the wrong conditions. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Leisurely lounge this morn, will get a 4m in soon. Then force a proper warmup and drill some 400s with the club.

Back to work tomorrow. But it's time!

Phil, that is one bolt on to your trip! Inconvenient!!
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Cheers Tommy - Ali W is a monster over 10k.  was it low 30's?

Sg- I know people who have also "raced the train" and they have enjoyed it. I was going to do it one yr and have my kids on the train. but it is in the summer when my mind is on the short stuff.

regards warm ups I have raced well in the past off limited warm up but I think it was in spite of it rather than because of it. the 200 and 300m sessions I did on the track last week was still in my calfs and a long ish drive meant everything was tight and it meant I wasn't quite at it. im sure a proper warm up would have had a better result although im sure I wouldn't have PB'd either way.

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Dean - he certainly is, he's not too shabby over 10 miles either, think his time from earlier this year is round about the 10th on the all time list. 30:18 for him yesterday so a bit off his best (and a minute behind the front 2 which won't happen often I bet!)

Results on RB have you down as 3rd V40 I think 

http://www.runbritainrankings.com/results/results.aspx?meetingid=225560 

SG - yep in the wrong conditions its pretty brutal, as it was this year with torrential rain leading up to the race. Most of the hills are in the second half too which is never ideal.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    ah! was 2nd in the text I got. mind you behind 1st who does 30.1* and 2nd who does 31.4* no worries..3rd v40 will have to do! :)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good work Dean. Are you never tempted to do a focussed 10k, having trained for it, just to see?

Sounds pretty extreme even by NY standards Philip!

I was momentarily tempted to think about the Ennerdale Horseshoe Fell-race this year, having read that it is it's 50th Anniversary this year, and close to my 50th birthday. Luckily it is the Saturday before rather than after though, so the incentive has gone as I'll still be 49. I say 'luckily' as it is a notorious tough race, which I would reckon to get round in about 5 and a half hours if I did well!

7.5M this morning. At least the ground was a bit firmer, even if I still haven't quite thrown off this bloody cold.

• Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

PMJ - That's a bit extreme isn't it..mental weather over there.

Dean - How can I put this in a nice way? You make me sick :) No specific training and get there 17 minutes before the start and run my PB. I give up..Are you going to have ago at the Vets 10k thing in Brum? 

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I have a feeling someone died at a Bracknell Forest Runners session in the last year or two, I may have mis-remembered this though.

Spotted a decent Woodley 10k tempo on Strava there Dachs.

Nice PR Pete, I think I was about 18:50 at Bracknell having done Woodley the week before in 17:30. I'd say that's fair reflection of the difference between the two.

Impressive 10k Dean. I don't think I've ever really done a warm up before a race, a short jog about but never done more than a mile and a few strides. However I thnk it's that time to settle and get focused that you miss when you turn up later, which I often do.

Not read all the way back back I think ML must have done something commendable.

As for me well I am two weeks post ankle sprain and still not in a position to run. It feels like it may be another week, hopefully no longer. It has turned my attenion back towards the bike though.

I did a threshold fitenss test on Saturday, basically how much power you can theroetically produce over an hour. I manged 320 watts compared to 309 watts last year. For context Chris Froome's is reported to have been 366 watts. I find it hard to believe his isn't higher than that though. Still either way I'm glas I've retained a lot of fitness on the bike without much training.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
     Still a good result Dean. The positives are how many factors were against you on this occasion.

I gained confidence from poor results by calculating/guessing/kidding myself, how much better I'd gone if everything had gone my way. Problem was usually the half stone of extra weight I was lugging about. Not so easily resolved.

How people react to being faced with death is also not so easily resolved. It's in our nature to identify with others, to see things from their perspective. Here within lies the problem. Who wants to dwell on their own mortality having been presented with an example of such?
    It happens, but we kind of hope it doesn't, but subconsciously we know there's no escape.

The irony of this situation being that the victim no longer has to worry about anything.

I'll move on.

Rather cold this morning. 8 miles done, though at an appallingly slow pace. 

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

bus - no!  10k is 5miles too far :)  to be honest when I find the sprint work takes its toll on my body I will probably move up the distances

SC - ;) is the 10k brum thing the England vest race?  If so I might do, particularly as I will be in the older age group by then.  depends if it fits in with the track stuff

reg - I don't understand all that bike stuff - but the fact you have improved your wattage on last yr sounds a big positive

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Reg Wand said:
    I did a threshold fitenss test on Saturday, basically how much power you can theroetically produce over an hour. I manged 320 watts compared to 309 watts last year. For context Chris Froome's is reported to have been 366 watts. I find it hard to believe his isn't higher than that though. Still either way I'm glas I've retained a lot of fitness on the bike without much training.
    Reg; power to weight ratio is key too though isn't it and Froome is incredibly light for his height (think about 65k and 1'86m). As most pros are about 6 WPK that would be about 390 sustainable for an hour. Was that the basis of your test? I did one of those tests a while back and they said it was just under 3 WPK (supposedly adjusted to be sustainable for an hour, don't know how and if accurate mind!) so only about 220 watts. Your level is extremely high, even if it isn't quite as near Froome's as you were told. 
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Reg, another positive is that you've improved over the year and you're also not a doper like Froome. :-) 

Quality 10k Dean. It reminded me of when I did the first mile at Trafford in 4.57 and also went through 5k in sub 16 but then the wheels came off big style! Like others have said it'll be good to see what you can nail when you get the chance to have a proper crack. 

Phil, that is some delay getting home! I could think of worse places to be stranded though. 

Congrats on the county vest SC!