Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Monday track for a novelty.

2sets of 6x400 off 60, with a luxurious 4mins between sets.

First set, the sort of excitable stuff that happens when in company...

Reps starting with

Second set more consistent

Looking back, I took about 3.45 instead of 4mins, and before rep 12 I took about 1.15 as there was a junior gang waiting starting their rep. But sort of equals out...

Strange session. One of the chaps went off before everyone else, so the 68 was overtaking him.  Otherwise, none of the fast boys were there, so pretty much a solo session, finishing 2 reps ahead of the main throng.

All reps were in lane 3, but using the "mark" to ensure 400m, as they're one of these fussy bastad tracks that put gates over the first 2 lanes in a few places! Just the £4.80 paid!

Some kids sessions were on at the same time, so that £4.80 wasn't even some sort of privileged club session access. I'm probably spoilt by how good my £80 per year usual track fee is. 95% of the time solo access too.

The most comedy rep was when I came round the back straight and Class 9b were in lane, and having to ensure I beat a bunch of 12 year olds :)

So a novelty, but may stick to the Tue sessions for group work going forward.

Will probably do tomorrow's session, even though it looks the dreaded 6x5min fartlek, 2min jog, from a few weeks back! Not sure how that session is back so soon :)

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    £4.80; they're ripping you off SG. WV is £1 for exclusive use of Bracknell track (and I still don't go as Monday doesn't suit!)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ah good, i'm not just being a tight wad then :)

We're near Windsor, so automatically the price will be higher. I am surprised it's just a blanket amount though, rather than the club hiring it, and splitting it accordingly. Maybe either the track doesn't do that as it's too popular, or we don't want to risk the commitment.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    I have to pay £201 all in to join my club pa. my 11 yr old son pays £151.
    On top of that I'm paying £4 a session on the indoor track at sport city in Manchester.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Ow much??! I'd pay for an indoor track mind....

Nice session SG.

• Options
    Matthew HeadMatthew Head ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Track here in Cornwall (one of two total in the county!) is £2.50 for use on a club night - always throngs of people, but not sure what the policy is for all other times...
    Jesus Dean, that's expensive family subs!

Dean, that's a great result for not having specific training down! Not to mention the lack of warm up and 'relaxing' before the gun!

Reg, great FTP test. I've done one once before - came out at 210 or something like that. I'm very much a middle-of-the-road cyclist! Much prefer the shorter sprint stuff when I do. Cannot imagine cycling the lengths you do for IM! What's your typical wattage for the different tri distances?

Great session there SG, soon the target will be sub-70 average? :p

So, sod's law that I state my foot is all fixed and well, and then I have a bit of an ache in it this morning after yesterday. Leads me to think I've worked out the cause - the bastard 100+ft 1/4mi hill from my road to any run - seeing as I've had no problems when running straight on the flat in Leeds and over Christmas. 
    So I might try walking up to the top and starting the run up there.

Decided to bin the track plans tomorrow - probably too soon, busy at uni, and the weather looks crap :)
    Opted for another easy today, 6.3mi at 8:26/mi for 75.7%HR - same HR as yesterday, but near 20s/mi slower due to battling a stitch and stomach cramps throughout!
    Good old stretch out following, and hopefully foot a-okay during a rest day tomorrow.
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Forgot to add....tidy session SG
    matt , that's probably just your foot working out the niggles. Probably be normal soon enough
  • Options
    PeteM said:
    Reg Wand said:
    I did a threshold fitenss test on Saturday, basically how much power you can theroetically produce over an hour. I manged 320 watts compared to 309 watts last year. For context Chris Froome's is reported to have been 366 watts. I find it hard to believe his isn't higher than that though. Still either way I'm glas I've retained a lot of fitness on the bike without much training.
    Reg; power to weight ratio is key too though isn't it and Froome is incredibly light for his height (think about 65k and 1'86m). As most pros are about 6 WPK that would be about 390 sustainable for an hour. Was that the basis of your test? I did one of those tests a while back and they said it was just under 3 WPK (supposedly adjusted to be sustainable for an hour, don't know how and if accurate mind!) so only about 220 watts. Your level is extremely high, even if it isn't quite as near Froome's as you were told. 

I did the test properly using Trainerroad software on my Wattbike so it's as accurate as if I'd done it in the British Cycling lab.

"Team Sky’s head of athlete performance, Tim Kerrison, also revealed that Froome regularly exceeds a 30-minute power output of 419W (6.25W/kg) and for 60 minutes he would expect to ride at or above 366W (5.46W/kg)."

6 w/kg is the very top level of pros but this doesn't quite fit with the Froomey data, a domestic pro is from about 5.15 to 5.8ish. I suspect I could get to 5.0 which would be top club level.
  • Options
    Oh and nice session SG.

Also I got two punctures and fell off my bike today, lost the front wheel turning through a greasy roundabout, Froome is good at falling off too.
  • Options

ooh, hope you're OK Reg, although I presume you've fallen off a few times now if you've been cycling a while? Must be so dicey in the winter.

Dean - That seems quite pricey tbh, I know the missus pays £160 including EA reg and anytime entry to the track at Bedford & County, which is B international grade or something? Mine is £65 at Herne Hill, but no track included. Luton's track is £3.85 a pop. Yes the great Brum 10k is the masters one, top 3 in each age group get selected, I'm doing the Chichester selection race one on 4th Feb..I think there's one near Manchester and one in Lincoln? Not sure.

Back to training tonight at the rugger ground..

• Options
    The problem Reg is that you don't have "asthma"  ;) 

Nice numbers though! I still think there is a huge gap between top level club / county equivalent to even a semi pro cyclist after watching some training videos through work on some products.. If I remember right in Europe there are some rich guys funding youth teams getting to live in this high class facility where they can live there year round and regulate the altitude inside the rooms and constantly monitor every aspect of their lives. Whilst I think many dope anyway as a short cut they are clearly maximising every potential aspect of their training. 

Give someone like Matt L 18 months of that treatment I reckon you could find an absolute monster

Dean - Cracking run and sub 32 is easily on the cards if it fits in around the track and you stay niggle free

Dachs - Sorry to hear what you and others went through on a club night. Haunting

MattH - Great to hear from you! Sensible. Sounds like a stress reaction putting more downforce going up a steep hill I guess? 

SG - Nice session! You could well produce a16:xx 5KM this year with a set like that 

I have ran twice in 2 days, result. Still only 12 miles total for 2018. Effort is still high of course. 170+ BPM for 7:30 odd m/m - I do not think for one minute this will be easy getting back to fitness. My PBs are nearly 4 years old 

Work is in overload which is good. Off to the national running show end of the month and then doing the Outdoor show and National XC in Feb.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    simon - I misread the selection for the England race - I thought you could put forward times from other races but it looks like its a clear 3 race selection and they happen before march which is no good bearing in mind im in 800m sessions indoor.   
  • Options
    The problem Reg is that you don't have "asthma"  ;) 

I do have asthma but my inhaler is about 5 years old which I think proves I'm not doping.

Nice to hear you're getting some runs in.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Some of our chaps are gearing up for the Chichester 10k, in a bid to get the top 3 age categories. I thought they'd be asking a lot, as it's a fairly quality field from my memory.

Looking at the stats, i did it 2013 and 2014, with 34.43 for 71st, and 35.41 for 67th

Checking last year though, 34.43 would have got 35th, and even 35.41 47th, so not sure if the standard has dipped a bit, the tweaked course is harder ( doubt this, as it's meant to keep a lot of the original route, just without the half km incline), or it was some local champs race in those days and isn't now...

So, my guys probably have a decent chance now, being faster than i was then, unless everyone has the same idea!
  • Options

Yes Dean it's one of those qualifying jobs - my mate who lives in Halesowen and runs for them wants to do it and have a beer after, so I'm tryng to get in for free basically!!

SG - Depends what age group - in the v45 I reckon depending on who is going to go, that ill need to be sub 33 to have a chance. Whiteman doesn't do 10k's, but threes the guy from Ilford, Kookai, Mr Bolton, Mussett and perhaps the guy from Haywards Heath that won the masters xc. Actually the south is quite weak as compared to the North, so I'm thinking there might be a few tourists - as you can do any of the three qualifying races. Hmm...

I'll need to get some tempos in as I need to get out quick and not fade too badly at the end, which has been my issue at the end of 5 mile/10k's. Not good enough :)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Depends what level of importance people place on them doesn't it SC. Is there this equivalent thread elsewhere with people targeting it :)

Does this happen other years, presumably?

Just heard our session tonight,a  6x5min off 2mins, isn't the one from a few weeks ago thank goodness.
    This one sounds like it's a loop, rather than monstering miles out.
    So much better, as it keeps the cameraderie up.
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

simon there is also a v45 from stoke who would get a low 32 minimum ;) don't think he will run it though.

SG- there are 3 qualifiers and a minimum standard to hit.  the fastest 3 from each age group over the 3 races will be selected.  so coming 3rd in chichester might not get in if Trafford has the faster race.

did my first indoor session and was worried about the session coach gave me.  particularly after race on sunday.  looked hard.  3*1k off 60 sec target 3.15, 2*400 target 62-64 (400 jog), 4*200 target 29-30 (200 jog).      my body must prefer the indoor temperature and running with out gloves for a change as I had to slow down my k's as was coming in too hot and only slowed them to 3.12 ave, a 61 and 62 for the 400s and 29s for the 200s.  enjoyed that!  great to hit some pace again.

• Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭
    SG - Monday nights aren't club sessions, that's the fundamental point you are missing while questioning why the club aren't funding it!
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Sounds like an excellent 10K stab given the circumstances Dean.  Just goes to show that basic speed can go a long way even when you haven't been training for longer stuff.

Solid county qualification work again Simon.  Will you be at Loughborough for the inter counties?

Impressive cycling stuff Reg.  Yes, I did do a 10K tempo on Friday, thought I'd sneak that one under the radar but I left my watch too close to the computer and it uploaded to Strava automatically.

Storming 400s SG.

I was already entered for Chichester 10K before they announced this, so I was going to put my name forward for the England thing.  However, I now realise the Birmingham race is on the same weekend as my kids' rugby tour, so I will be in third world quality accommodation at Pontins in Burnham on Sea instead.  Probably just as well, as it would've been 3 weeks after the marathon, and history shows I run appallingly up to a month after a marathon.

No Wokingham for me this year, first time I won't have been there (bar the 2014 cancellation) since 2011.

Cheers for the comments re last week.  As I say, I didn't know him really, but difficult to imagine what the family are going through.  Think he was around 60.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Haha, sorry Wool. Still, i've done well for you not to pick me up on something for years now...i know how you patrol this thread ;)

ps not accusing the club of being tight by any means...am pretty sure £4.80 is high for a one off session wherever it is!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    DeanR7 said:

simon there is also a v45 from stoke who would get a low 32 minimum ;) don't think he will run it though.

SG- there are 3 qualifiers and a minimum standard to hit.  the fastest 3 from each age group over the 3 races will be selected.  so coming 3rd in chichester might not get in if Trafford has the faster race.

I didn't think this sounded right, from when one of our chaps pasted a link...so i double checked.

The wording is 
    "The top three eligible men and top three eligible women in each age category from V35, V40, V45 upwards will be selected from each of the three qualifying races. :"

That strikes me as meaning 3 from each of the 3 races, so 9, rather than 3 in total.
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

fair catch SG.  I picked it up wrong. 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Far be it for me to be sticking my nose in on qualifying of stuff well above my paygrade :)
    But this way it gives some sort of chance!
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    SG, that's a great 400 session. What are you pissing about doing running 17 mins for 5k? I mean that in the nicest possible way. 
  • Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭

SG, I have a list, don't worry. I'm still smarting from your 'real runners don't wear sunglasses' jibes of a few years back; actually that started to sting again when you gave our Cap grief for his 'snood'. I didn't have you down as the fashion police (PMSL at that thought!).

In case you are worrying, you can also park directly on the roads we'll be using for tonight's session if you want to. Depends how much warm-up you want to monster.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Stevie G said:
    DeanR7 said:

I didn't think this sounded right, from when one of our chaps pasted a link...so i double checked.

The wording is 
    "The top three eligible men and top three eligible women in each age category from V35, V40, V45 upwards will be selected from each of the three qualifying races. :"

That strikes me as meaning 3 from each of the 3 races, so 9, rather than 3 in total.
    From what I heard it is the first 3 from each race, so a total of 9, but they must also have hit a qualifying standard.  The standard for V35 and V40 from memory was 33:45.  They don't have to have hit the standard in the race itself, but must have done so within a certain timeframe.  I would have thought first three V40s at Chichester will be well below that anyway.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Matt, i'm a hero when it comes to smashing it at short stuff, especially if it's in company, as anyone who has ever seen my first rep in group sessions will agree with :) Chuck in that ultra generous 4min gap in the middle, and it's easier too.

Holding it for longer..another story.

Flat course, good competition, a crack at sub 17. That last set of parkruns/Aylesbury were various assorted excuses.

Haha Woolmeister! I thought i'd learnt from the time i posted on here about 10 years ago, in Marlow days,  raving at running with some "hotty" . There was also another chap there, and he was a bloody forumite, and popped onto the thread i'd mentioned it on.
    Cripes, the memory of that still feels me with that sickening worry!

Snoods, arm warmers, sunglasses (you freakin poser), all vetoed.
    Shirtoff, skin tight gear, "rad" trainers, all in.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps i'll be arriving to do a cheeky couple of miler, before the 1mile trot over there. Gotta keep that mileage up.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps Dachs, shame not to see you at Wokingham then! After a year of no race meets, i thought that one was a given.
    Maybe i'll stop in on the Reading half, get your ire for being in the elite section again, then ruck off to the 12 stage :)
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Bit of an eventful session for me tonight. Session was 1/2/3/4/5 mins off full recovery then into 5 x 1 min. Also it was to be after a 5 mile warm up. Prefer to do these on the road with the hills in and went to run laps of a park. 
    Guts were bad early doors so had to take a pit stop in the park and with one long uphill drag every lap paces were all over. My 5 minute rep was at 5.17 pace and my 2 minute rep was 5.50 pace given the route. Ended up with over 800ft of hills by the time I'd finished. 

Did the 5 x 1 min reps on the uphill drag home but that's when the guts gave up again. Got myself on the pitch black canal side and put my gloves and door keys on a low wall. Then when picking my gloves up I knocked my keys into about a foot of leaves. Oh shit. Couldn't see a thing so ran home and was unsurprisingly locked out which meant running to my in laws to meet my missus so she could drive me back home so I could get my head torch to go back amd find my keys. 
    Managed to get them but 13.3 miles for the session. Haha.