Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Heck, that must have been a gut wrencher...literally and metaphorically!

I wasn't pleased when having a wazz yesterday, foolishly trying to hold weiner and coins in the same hand, and dropping a coin in a dark pile of leaves.

Luckily the torch was... 100metres away ;)

Sounds a good sesh.

Ours tonight turned out to be a nice squareish loop, 6x5mins off 2mins.

Set off with our top guy, which was always going to be optimistic ask! As per the classic off hard, finish hard technique, kept up and around for 1 and 6, and trailed for the middle ones.

A couple of weaker ones middle 3/4 through, but 4 of them pretty fierce by my standards.

Didn't manage to get the rep 1 pace, but am certain it'd be at least as fast as numbers 2 and 6, most likely faster.

Other 5...

0.95m (5.16 pace)
    0.93m (5.21)
    0.91m (5.30)
    0.90m (5.34)
    0.95m (5.17)

Best 10k session I ever did on the track was 5x1mile at 5.30 average (race pb of 5.35), so that little lot have to be in and around that mixer, with 1 less rep to do, once you extend them to the full mile, and cut the recovery from 2mins to 90secs.

• I'm too dead to post anymore, more tomorrow. 5 x 2k on soggy grass and mud. Send help :)
  • Ha ha - We're a right bunch aren't we for mishaps whilst out training, we'll have a book out before long :) Nice session there SG, I need to some faster road/tempo stuff soon.

Yes so 5 x 2k last night on surprisingly heavy ground - as such times weren't brilliant, plus the usual 100m drag uphill per K through the longer grass at the top by the pylon. Times weren't great, up everyone was finding it hard..7.10,7.14,7.14,7.15,7.05. The few of us who had done the 13/14k xc at the weekend were especially buggered!

The commute run this morning wasn't pretty as you can imagine.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Cracking sessions chap. 'Aint you two got any pockets though? Good job your keys didn't land in your fresh deposit though Matt :

SG - those paces suggest a much quicker Wokingham than you are predicting!

6.4M to the station this morning and finally feeling like I'm shaking this virus off.

• Maybe SG and I can switch predictions, I've gone from optimistic 75 to sub 1:20 if I can get running again soon.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Let's relax here fellas, you can see my slow down from the 400s to the 5mins...wait until it transfers down to half marathon!

Reg - if i set off ahead of you i can fairly comfortably realise i'm overcooking it!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bus - the Datchet fast boys seem to have all had a virus over the last few weeks, so you're in good company!
    Simon, sounds tasty as always!

You'd have eaten it up on the route we had yesterday, lovely wide roads. Only small thing to look out for was if you took the bend quite tight and were faced with a car zooming along :)

2x4miles easy today. One small downside of the Datchet sessions, is if they are ending gone 8, and only start driving home at 8.30, it's already a bit past 9, before even eating, unpacking, getting the adrenaline down. Not quite the same as the Lucozade hyped up days when i used to do a 10-11pm footy session, those were 1am sleeps!

Aiming to do a 15miler pre work tomorrow, in lieu of a XC race Sunday. Will be a slog, but i've tweaked work hours back to 10-6 again to ease it through.

Will definitely set off earlier though, as a 7.30 start saw me hit Slough at 9.10 today - driving! Literally one of those "could have run it quicker" jobs
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Great sessions guys, I wish.
     I'm getting there gradually though. Starting the day with an hours worth of off road, followed by 30 minutes of biking. The area of concern is becoming less obvious, so going in the right direction.

🙂

• SG, you are likely to head off in front of me, I am three weeks without running and heading inexorably towards 80kg, the difference being I am not compensating for the lack of running with swimming and cycling.

If I can start running this weekend and shift a kilo a week, I may still be able to put in something half decent, if you'll pardon the pun.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Bus, I do have a pocket but its got a hole in it and I can't be doing with two keys jangling together for 80 mins. :-) 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I've sewed in some slightly sinister looking pouches into my lycra pants for holding the key.

if you get it right, it's perfect.

If you get it wrong, it's metal on bone for untold miles

Reg, I always read talk of weight with surprise for some reason, some chaps on the thread talk about putting loads on after missing a few runs.

Maybe i'm just a streak of piss who doesn't put on due to the generally tedious diet, or maybe I generally keep consistent mileage either way so it doesn't test it!

As long as you're confident in the ankle soon, you'll put a nice time down i'm sure.

Strangely, my mail to the club group chat about joining me for the 15 tomorrow, or just some of it, went down about as well as the last time I tried to get a date.

"Know your strengths" is probably a good mantra to live by!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Alcohol is the issue SG - soon adds pounds when combined with mince pies and quality street :-)

Stick your house keys in an old shoe somewhere or something rather than taking them with you?

SG - does that mean when this virus has totally gone I'll be in the mix with the fast Datchet boys :smile:
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I'm the same with keys. I don't run with them. I have a single key for the house which is hidden. At races the keys get hidden too, somewhere nearby.

My weight gains tend to be gradual affairs. And it doesn't take much to achieve that.
    When I did an experiment in training/diet/ weight loss, I found the energy attributed to training had to equal the energy attributed to all the food I was eating to lose just 1kg per week.

If I didn't train, I can only hold my weight if restricted to 1500kcal/day. Uncomfortable. 

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    You guys are nutjobs, what if someone finds your key and nicks your car?
    Call me Mr Safety First :)

15 mile morning run then. It's a funny thing the mental side of running... a lot of the time i'll do a midweek 10, and think that's a long run pre work. But today 15 felt decent.
    6.56 average, with a 7mile version to Home Park/Windsor Castle, so a nice view there, took in Eaton, had a lap round Upton Court Park, and then a "nice" sortie over the roundabouts in Slough town centre :)

Probably time to admit i'm going decently right now. That's 2 x15milers over 5days, the 16 with the 2 parkruns a week before. Couple more 15s before Wokingham, with perhaps one ending with some MP/HMP and will probably be set. 3 XC races before then too!
  • Yeah will have to keep my eye on you soon SG :)

Upton Court Park - is that where they have held Chiltern league xc races? If so, they were right up my street..XC races for road runners. Usually you parked at TVH and walked over the M4 to get there.

I'm back on the no crisps, sweets or cake again like I was pre xmas. Chocolate OK, usually a bit of dark choc in the evening. I substitute crisps for popcorn.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That probably needed a wink, not a smiley, but i appreciate it :)

Maybe to the question...only know it from Parkrun to be honest. Although it got muddy on that second of two parkruns on NYD, i wouldn't have thought it'd be anywhere near XC course material. You'd need to do a tonne of laps to get the distance up, and most likely bypass the path straight!

Must be somewhere else...not sure where..
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

another indoor track session today. 

2*200 off 200jog.  target = 34    ran(31,32)

800 off 800 jog. target = 2.16.  ran 2.17 but I went thru 600 3 secs fast so I eased off...but too much)

600 5min rec.  target = 1.32-1.34.  ran 1.33

400 4 min rec. target = 60-62.   ran 60

300 target = target 45-46 but ran 42.

loving running on the indoor track.  nice and warm like running should be :)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The 200 targets stand out there Dean...were you using Stevie G pace for target there ;)
    And superstar Vet pace for the rest :)
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Simon, you were in fact absolutely right. Host venue for the BB&O event and your Chiltern League events too. For instance:

http://chilternharriers.weebly.com/latest-news-2014/chiltern-cross-country-league-at-slough

I'm not surprised you doubted it though SG. Not really like the TVXCs! Upton can get almost completely submerged though and VERY boggy. I have run the parkrun when the back field (the one you do only once) has been completely submerged and another time when the bridge you cross on the path right at the end has been under a foot of water.

It's pretty impressive you stayed so close to James on Tuesday. And nice LR this morning, quick though. I doubt that you need to run them that fast to get the benefit from the session - you'll be encouraging the poor trainers in the club too. I did see a 6:52 min/mile RR posted on Strava yesterday and it wasn't by Kipchoge!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    SG - HA!  coach put them at that pace as a loosener i think.  it was the same pace as the next rep for the 800.    after that the paces get a bit brutal.   but they feel good once you hit them.  as im never sure if I can push out a 60 400 at this time of the yr.  so its nice when you hit the lap button and it smiles back at you.  as there is limited chance to get a reading at 200 to see if you are on the right pace.  its classic balls out running.
  • I've done a few of the Chiltern XC league races at Upton Court. The XC does go over a slightly different route.

see e.g. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/141561202

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I doubt it's anywhere like this for you, but my one ever flat out 400, a 60, I  could feel in my lungs for about 20mins after. A very disturbing feeling!
    I remember feeling quite gutted and surprised I hadn't been able to make up the distance to a chap i presumed i'd be faster than who did a 58! However, we all appreciate the "it's all relative" element on here, so i'm sure that's you just having early doors easing in, and will be demolishing those shortly!

ps almost got involved in the Mid Cheshire 5k on Fri April 27th, looks epic standard. Unfortunately the Vets relays is the day after, so it wouldn't be clever!

Wool - you are definitely right, could easily do the run 30 sec per mile slower and still have the real benefit. As long as it doesn't feel pushed, i suppose it's still ok, as still in my Moz easy zone.

Only a couple of reps matching James, the other 4 watching him down the road :) Better than nothing, and of course depends on respective effort levels. Though in fairness i'd drilled some 400s the day before, which has been very unusual to do 2 hard sessions back to back!

I'm delighted with how keen the DD gang are, facebook always has some chat going on, a real keen bunch of faster guys, near perfect. I just have to be aware to remember the valuable Moz guidelines, especially on warm ups and suchlike. Half a mile seems more than enough for most, as does doing 3,4,5 days of hard sessions in a row! Mad

So Wool, what's your next step? You've smashed the sub 3, is that you done there, or wanting to push that down further?  XCs for a bit, before Wokingham for a starter?
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭

SG - yep, it's when the MLRs impact on the rest of the week you know that you've been running them too hard and given how well you are going you can't be accused of that.

I had thought that I left a bit of time out there on the road at Abingdon, I was on sub 2:56 pace until mile 24 when emotions and cramp took over, and so I thought I might be able to nibble further at the mara this spring. Illness over Xmas has really set me back though and so the plan might  only be a dream. We'll see. Defo no XC though. They are inconveniently timed and situated, ruin the training week, and TBH I just cannot abide with finishing behind folks I would normally be competitive with on the road so I choose to throw my toys fully out of the XC pram. Mid-field diva! I will be at Wokee but not sure in what shape or effort yet as I am currently even crapper than normal and taking a long flight back from hols the day before. So many excuses to be rolled out. 

Trying to get in the relays teams would have been a good target for me too but the southerns are the same day as my pre-planned family day out at Reading, the nationals the same day as GMM (my pre-planned target mara for the Spring) and the Masters (where we could have a decent V45 team) is 1 week after VLM which I planned to only jog round but may now need to target given my Xmas malaise. Gah.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:
    !

ps almost got involved in the Mid Cheshire 5k on Fri April 27th, looks epic standard. Unfortunately the Vets relays is the day after, so it wouldn't be clever!

I know the relays can be fun but do you really have that many chances to do a fast , flat 5k with quality field.
  • Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thanks Wool, PMJ, I did really know that was where the XC was! As Surrey league doesn't have a December race, I've done Slough in the lovely purple and yellow colours of LBAC when it's the December race. Definitely did it in 2009 as everyone was congratulating me on the missus being up the stick :) he was born in 2010. That strava course is exactly the right course. 

SG- smiley or winkey, not much difference really, don't read much into it! Going well at the moment. Dean- good times, I've only warmed up indoors before a outside track race at Lee Valley, would like to have some more training there tbh.

I've decided to finally start 'attacking' my skinny left leg with dips and raises etc. Been doing it a few days and although it feels a bit achy at the top, it feels stronger. If I can get it to help out the right one...I might get somewhere.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cracking session Dean, and another LSR SG! Good work.

I couldn't not eat cake Simon - that must be the only reason you are so much faster than me :smile:

As for car keys - who would ever think to look on top of the driver's wheel at a race ;-)

Reg - you recovered from your wipeout the other day?

Hectic day at work today and had to bail out of my planned lunchtime 10 with 6 at MP. Decided to do 7 with 4 at HMP this evening instead. Deeply disappointing. The 4 came out as 6:23, 6:16, 6:18, 6:14. Which was around 18 secs per mile slower than hoped and 15 slower than expected. It felt like I was working hard too and definitely didn't feel slow. On the plus side I did scoop a 4 mile Strava segment that just happened to coincide with the tempo section :-)  Not looking good for Wokingham though. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

One leg hero Simon? :)

Showing any sort of muscle would be my choice, even skinny women have more muscled arms than me!

Dean - that is a good point. I just remember last year, I think it was the exact same consideration, and Aley quickly put me in no doubt it'd be mad to consider, even with it "only"  being a 3mile version of Sutton Park the day after on raced legs!

Wool - sound like the 12 stage regional is 100% out then. It is such an arse that they've not only moved it to a Sunday but clashed with 2 the biggest fastest southern road races of the year! I'm also gutted it's not Gravesend, a random little place, but 1 mile from an aunt!

But it sounds like one of the other 2 relays may still be doable, but depends on how your marathons pan out. You must feel hungry if you were planning on doing 2 , even with 1 potentially a "get round".

Be a shame for you not to be involved at all, you were a good part of...all 3 relays last year wasn't it?

ps no "m"LR for me, this is strictly my LR! Hopefully with 2 easy runs tomorrow, and a day off SAT, I should be able to achieve both aims of keeping the mileage and long runs up, but also race XC decently.

You shouldn't worry about who may or may not beat you (I know this is me saying this after my year of gaining confidence to race again!), but you'll know you're doing it for social/team/variety reasons, so it'll have no relevance to the road.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Bus-doesn't sound like the day a tough run is going to go well on. Especially not in the dark?

Maybe one Saturday if it suits, we could do some sort of run together, where we combine for a section where i'm aiming for MP and you HMP, and sort of comes out similar pace, to push us both on! (without making a presumption of course!)

Had a quick look at your Wokingham halfs, my word it's like it was ages ago we "regularly" went there!

2015 and 2013? Both low 1:19:xxs. Only about 25-30secs off your pb (2012). That'd be a quality result to match or get in sub 1hr 20, 3-6 years on? Do you reckon you'll be in and around it? Without a faltering me to hunt down :) (without making the presumption I hadn't already discombobulated) :)

EDIT...getting into a right mix up...I thought I remembered Paddock Wood as being the one you had that nightmare at, but PW was your PB. Hillingdon/Uxbridge being the one that energy just died in? At least you felt fine health wise after, and didn't take 18months with the whole saga to get confident again!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Bus, I wouldn't worry too much. Stresses at work take their toll and highly likely it's just one of them days. If I was you I'd replicate the same session at a parkrun (flattish) on sat. Put yourself in a 'race' ennviroment and do the same session again and I guarantee you'll nail it. 

Dean, them paces are ridiculous. Can't really add anymore to that. Haha. 

SG, I'd echo deans comments. You seem to be I some decent nick at the minute so get in that race and smash your pb. You'll remember your pb but who remembers their times for the vets relays? 

Decent session on the track tonight. 15 x 600 off 1 min. Really wasn't looking forward to it but since I started going back on the track last May its the first time I've really enjoyed it. Target wasn't lightening in 1.51-1.55 but i hit them all amd it all felt very controlled. Managed to put some decent sessions together recently and a bit unfortunate there's no taper for this weeks half. Be interesting to see how I go with training right through it. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

15x600, blimming heck! That must be a mental killer!

The pace is obviously fast, but to help me (for one!) relate, what intensity/zone is that for you? 5k pace, 10k pace?

The latter, of 9k at 10k pace would sound reasonable to get your head round , but 10k pace for 600m would surely feel too easy (for someone like you at least!) But then 9k of reps at 5k pace is severe!