Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah in fairness Reg, i was shifting uncomfortably when I read Wool's "decent runner scale". I'm not one with no sub 3 :open_mouth:

Sounds like you're not too far off getting going decently again. Too soon for Sunday, but maybe the last XC, or at least a good effort at Wokingham.
    I stuck 1hr 20 down, as i have no idea. I notice 2 Datchet vets have picked the same time, so we'll see how it all pans out.
    The main mission is to get round well, for all reasons, but it'd be great if it was well under.
  • I would love to do an XC but I reckon I could break this ankle if I turn it again so I want to do a few months of strength work before exposing it to the mud and rocks etc.

I'm happy running Wokey though, I feel like I could maybe still PB if I get a good couple of weeks in and the conditions are favourable on the day. Especially as it was gale force winds when I set it. Even if I fall short I will get another crack at Reading.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps TVXC, i remember being in and around clubs when it was being decided on whether we should let different clubs in. They let a couple in, but i think they may have said no to another. I'd say we're at capacity club wise for certain - 15 clubs?

It'd only take the smaller clubs amongst that suddenly getting keener, and you could be looking at 500-600, which wouldn't necessarily be a problem on some of the courses, but would be a disaster for some of the parking situations
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    XC then. I saw on that video the sheer violence of the start and straight away knew my decision to ditch the activity was the correct one. I could feel the injuries coming on just looking.

Ironically, my way of getting rid of injuries is to train off road, which is what I've been doing lately.
    57 miles last week with the past five days 9,9,9,10 & 9 miles.

Just rebuilding the base.

🙂

• Reg Wand said:
     I then ended up running alongside his dog which was unnerving. Running along a towpath with a dodgy ankle and a dog at your ankles seemed like a recipe for disaster so I upped the pace again.  I've gone from cruising at 7:30 pace to now hammering along at 5:00 pace trying to drop a dog! If ever anyone wonders why I get so many injuries then this is a classic example.

That is what Strava is for. Mark your run as "7 easy ones for fun" and use the flybys and leave a scathing comment on his run: "You don't sweat much for a big lass" or similar.
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Brilliant Reg! 

My life has been turned upside down with the emergence of a new Samir Haddad!! 
    He's a local lad who is pretty new to running and I'd heard a couple of other chaps have tried to clip his wings a bit with his pavements PBs that he's been bragging about. Anyway he's just managed to run a sub 36 10k at a fast 10k over Xmas and he's not broken 18 mins at the local parkrun yet. 

I'd just seen his Facebook post of 10.4 miles in 58 mins and that coincided with a notification that he's following me on strava so it was too good of an opportunity to have a look at his training runs. 

They are ALL manually input but a recent 6.4 mile run at 5.16min miling had a map and you could see the segments as he must have run with his phone. Some segments at 4.30/km and the fastest at 3.55/km so he ran the loop at above 40 min 10k pace but just manually put it in and added the distance to make it look quicker. Haha

Every run is 5 min pace barring a good 4 mile blast he had last year at 4.40 pace. 

One to watch! Hahaha. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    What a nobber.
    He will very quickly discover that this certainly isn't the sport to be boastful in, as it's all black & white.
    Unlike say football that is all opinions and intepretation to some extent.

Everyone loves that cruel moment reality hits in.  Maybe he's just mistaken though, I used to think a route i did was 4miles, when it was actually 3.5 and suchlike pre Garmin days!

Tom Chinnery, Sammy H, Mike Rushton, the woman who in plimsols was setting incredible times, and the guy who was doing his reps on a 300metre track were my favourites from this very forum!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    But Samir 'was' different. He kept on about his pavement pb's and the like, but eventually had to toe the line in a real race, a 10k if I remember correctly.
    Predictions ranged from 'lucky to break 40 minutes' to walking.
    He then goes and does 33 minutes!

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Lol - give the boy a chance :-) Sounds like he needs a garmin....

By definition of mud Reg, I must have been a real hero last night! It was the karma of trying to avoid a very large quagmire by running on a bank - slipped down the bank and sideways into the mud! Absolutely covered from head to foot!! So much so, that as it dried I was having difficulty moving my right arm!

Fancy trying to outrun a dog!!!  have you got the ankle strapped at all for support?

Repeated last week's disappointing 4 mile tempo at lunch today. Still disappointing, but at least a bit quicker!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    34.45 ric..let's not get too carried away. 

Hasnt turned out for over 2 years now which is a shame
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Sorry SG, a mistake. 
    On June 1st 2014 he ran 26:42 for five miles.

🙂

• RicF said:
    Sorry SG, a mistake. 
    On June 1st 2014 he ran 26:42 for five miles.
    Not on powerof10 so it didn't happen.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Pavement pb.
    I also suspect the river relay where he apparently took minutes out of graham was a colossal error.

However, he get some nifty 5ks in, so it is a shame he disappeared
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Anyway, tonight was a club pyramid sesh round a coach park. Nice big arena, cones at either end with a little rounded path to take.

1,2,4,5 mins off 1min then back down

Paces per section...

1. 4.46
    2. (stuffed this up on the watch)
    3. 5.13
    4. 5.25
    5. 5.28

then back down (having changed direction)

4.   5.17
        3.   5.22
        2.  4.49
        1.  4.39

The 4.46 opening min felt big, leading Mr Samson and Hunt home. Could hear a bit of "it's one thing storming the first one, let's see how it goes now

Lost Mr Samson after a fairly equal 2min rep. I walked the recovery, he slightly jogged it, and never saw him again!

Pretty cold, and some fair wind down one straight.

Delighted with the 4.49 2min and 4.39 1 min to end.

The 4.49 was chasing Chris H down. I didn't think i'd get him at one stage as he put some absolute overdrive on, but a fairly inconsistent rep from him saw me come through round a bend and up.

Easy to absolutely destroy the last rep isn't it...Just a min to burn, and I didn't know quite who was behind.

Good fun overtaking for so much of the reps. Tonnes of people, about 70 odd, tonnes of new youngerish types too.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Another quality session SG. I think you'll blow the doors off your PBS at the minute. 

Bus, he does have a GPS watch. He just chooses to make up more impressive numbers instead. Haha. Few of my mates run for his club and they've tried to have words with him. 
  • Matthew HeadMatthew Head ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    So much XC chat! I really hoped to get involved with our XC (Westward League), and was all set to in November for my foot issue arose.
    How do the female members of your clubs feel about a potential move to equalise the distances? And would the men prefer a cut back, to say 10k rather than 12k or so?

Really strong session there SG, you're motoring along, so well overdue a race!

ML, keep an eye on the lad! Firstly to make sure he's actually running what he says he is, and secondly make sure he knows his place ;)

Reg, glad to hear the ankle is feeling more stable. Wise to stay away from the XC! Also good to see that the hip is better, SC.

Wool, following your yardstick criteria, I'm a half-decent runner - a sub-18 5k (17:45), and a sub-1:25 HM (1:23:22)... So not by masses! :D

Finished up last week with 31 miles, which I'm happy with.
    Another easy run yesterday, albeit in 40-50mph winds, so not all that fun! It did, however, come out as 6.6mi at 8:09/mi for 75.2%HR - so things are still getting better :)
    Foot/ankle is much better, as I've been hot/colding it everyday and stretching, as well as wearing a compression sleeve at times.
    Running 3 days on the trot this week, before a race on Sunday - it's not gonna be fast, and it ain't gonna be pretty, but it'll give me a good marker for where I am... Although it is tempting just to run it rather than race :)

I'm also looking to get a new pair of daily runners - I've narrowed down (due to price online) to Brooks Launch 4 or Aduro 5 from Wiggle, or Saucony Ride 9 from Sweatshop.
    I've had Launch 3s before and they cut up my heel, but the new ones don't seem to have the seam down the back. Previous Aduro 3s have always done me good, and plenty of miles.
    Never had Rides before, so are there any thoughts? Any recommendations for other moderately cushioned neutral shoes that last a good number of miles would be welcome! :)
  • Let's have a quick look at Wool's marks:

sub 18 5k, a sub 38 10k, a sub 85 hm and a sub 3 to be a decent runner. 

Say we take 30 years of age as a marker (not that any of us are quite that young, even MattL is over 30!) 

5k 18:00 71.85% WAVA
    10k 38:00 70.83% WAVA
    Half 1:25 69.67% WAVA
    Full 3:00 69.4% WAVA

so all in the same sort of ballpark but a gradual decay with distance which is typical (so e.g. if we keep the 71.85% then the full should be 2:53:5).

The often quoted figures for WAVA are:
    • Above 90%     World Class Level
    • Above 80%     National Class Level
    • Above 70%     Regional Class Level
    • Above 60%     Local Class Level
    so Wool's figures are pretty much aligned with 70% and a regional class runner. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Officially decent on Phil's scale. We should all be proud :)

Matt - our Sunday league is all combined anyway, it's not like these saturday leagues with it all stripped out in separate races of different distances spinning out half a day.
    To think people moan at our 11am race for 30-60mins. Imagine the saturday league placed even more awkwardly at 2pm or so, having had to hang about for all the previous races potentially?

Sounds a strange one to me, the "campaign" doesn't seem to be about combining the men and women's races, just on equalising the distance.

They want the opportunity to race a much longer distance!? That doesn't sound a sweetener to me!
    Ok, go for it! Have a really long slog of a race!

If i did that series, i'd hope the men's was shortened :)

ps Matt - sounds you're coming along nicely. Your 5k suggests a quicker half possible to me. I think...I lose track of relative conversions, and i've certainly never hit the 5k time the calculators have me from longer stuff, despite originally thinking i was a short distance hero.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

lots to read back on and catch up

in fairness to Samir he did race Scott and beat him.   And remembering those boastful proud people with incorrect distances claiming to be legends before reality bit.  reminds me last week after my first full week indoor training and hitting some tasty times, much better than I thought possible this early on, I had to check the track was officially 200m.  

• This Samir guy was before my time but wasn't he more focused on competing in the Olympics rather than edging out forumites?

Your club sessions sound a lot more fun than the TVT ones were SG. There were no fast people to compete with most the time.

Glad to hear things are improving steadily MH. I always try and avoid buying anything from Mike Ashley. I need also need some new general training shoes, I've been using Supernovas so will probably stick with those, althgough they are a bit heavy.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    After Phils post, I had to have a look on PO10 for the age graded gumph. I have 27 in the 80% bracket, however only two are below the age of 50. I had the first at 41 and had to wait another eight years for the next.

So I assume the tables are heavily slanted for GFA, though I understand they are actually based on the antics of Martin Rees who last time I looked had never had any race below 90% AG.

🙂

• Good to hear the foot getting there MH. The equality discussion is interesting - the missus has often got moans from some of the Bedford girls when they have a short xc course..BUT that's not the case for everyone, it's trying to pick the best distance. They're all different anyway - for me the usual Surrey leagues are about 5 miles - National 12k, southern 15k, the counties was 13.7k, the South of Thames 11k! The Southern at Parly Hill is ridiculous for the women - they should do 10k, just 2 laps of the same lap we do! So it's a test for most of them and the ones who want more of a challenge are happy too.

Good session SG - hope you were as knackered as I was yesterday in my Regents pk session. Wind is a pain as usual.

• ioweriower ✭✭✭
    Been away for a while (years?) and my previous appearances were only brief but thought I’d poke my head back in and try and make a habit of it. The start of the year and getting it underway at stubbington seems a good time to do so! 
    Had a big catch up over the last few pages and good to see familiar names still about. 

Managed 37:00 at Stubby 10k, ~2 minutes off my Eastleigh time from last year which i was chuffed with and backs up my 29:34 at Victory 5. Annoying about the 1 second but mustn’t grumble!

Improvements have been pretty swift since I was here last, muddling around 41 minutes for 10k, attributable to (wait for it) consistent mileage including structured track sessions, and losing weight. Who’d have thought it!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe i'm particularly soft core, but i can't imagine ever moaning a XC was too short!

Simon - can certainly feel it today. Recovery day of 2x4milers. Few little bits with aches.

Have to not get too sucked into the "wild abandon" of how some of this lot train , and remember I like to run more than 99% of them, so need to keep an eye on the workload, as these sessions aren't as controlled as my own solo stuff would be.

I do like the freedom now to fit whatever in, whenever, but still need to keep an eye on the big picture. Which this week is the XC on Sunday.
    So when a pal mentioned they're doing my local parkrun on Saturday, i have to resist going and racing it... with a 15miler tomorrow, and a race Sunday it it wouldn't be at all smart.
    Spectating brief may be the wisest.
  • Stevie G said:
    I do like the freedom now to fit whatever in, whenever, but still need to keep an eye on the big picture. Which this week is the XC on Sunday.
    So when a pal mentioned they're doing my local parkrun on Saturday, i have to resist going and racing it... with a 15miler tomorrow, and a race Sunday it it wouldn't be at all smart.
    Spectating brief may be the wisest.
    I'm jogging round parkrun at Wycombe Rye on Saturday and racing XC on Sunday. It isn't hard. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It's not hard no, but I haven't quite reached that comfort level where i'm happy with jogs on my PO10!

Iower, welcome back. Sounds a good progression. You could be a good chap to have on the thread, as I do like a south coast trip when fully fit and keen!
  • With the XC gender debate it's fairly simple. The course can be short, medium or long but it should be the same for men and women, no reason for it to be otherwise. They are still going to get their nails dirty either way.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised no one has thrown the classic "we're going for full equality - it's all in, no gender prize wins anymore" bomb in... and then quickly run off....
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    SG, just jog round and don't hand your barcode in. I've done that loads of times. I'd probably have a 100 tee shirt by now. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I'll consider it, need to get the mileage up with a double Friday really, but we'll see.
    I wouldn't have even given it a second of thought if most from the club had asked :)

Look forward to a good stretch and hot bath tonight, and then will do the same 15 as last week. Have re-jigged the ipod around so the music selection feels fresher which helps for the hauls.