Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Good work on getting the 10 under your belt Ric. I normally find my hands end up overheating if I wear warm gloves, but should have done today!

Very nice 10 there Matthew. Bramley 10 is a quickish option as well as Maidenhead. It's the week ebfore Wokingham.

Hats off to you Tadley racers as well - must have been very tough conditions. Another cracking result and report SG. What's with the "steward" thing though? Is that what marshals are called in proper XC then? :wink:

Nice parkrun too Pete!

Another tricky work week next week. Means I need to do a double tomorrow to stand a chance of getting a decent mileage in, which I can't say I'm looking forward too given how completely sodden the ground will be!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

LOL, i'd started with steward, wondered if i'd get away with it, but once committed, had to stick to it!

Slight feel just below the knee, maybe ever so slightly jarred it, which combined with the real cold, and hour drive home was not a marvellous combo! Easy runs tomorrow, needless to say!

Your work is affecting the running a bit at the mo, tell em to sort it out! That's one advantage of not being overly pushed in a job! I turned down our end of year Sales awards night this Thursday coming. It's sometimes a good night, but it's in Stoke, so compromises 2 days of training. A few other reasons as well, not just that.

It's good to even think about how long trips affect running now, after a good year or so where I didn't overly need to!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    To pick up first on a conversation from a day or two ago, Scott you're doing yourself down a bit with the "not county level" stuff.  Remember, Hampshire is a damn strong county, as you always used to remind us on the Team GB thread, and as underlined by a Hampshire 1-2 at the Inter Counties last year, and three of the eight-man GG team at the Edinburgh XC being Hampshire runners.

Matt, that is a typically madcap training run, but I guess some of your multi-peak training runs, whilst not hitting marathon distance, must've been in the same effort bracket.  I'm considering a full distance training run this time around.

Matt H, always good to smash your targets in a race, so sounds like a good 'un.

Bus, sounds horrible.  Couldn't you have just stuck to the roads?

Very well raced at the XC boys, sounds disgusting.  Particularly evocative report from SG there.  TVXC scoring is a dark art, you're best off just waiting for the results.

I had an unexpected morning off this morning, as, like Bus's, my kids' rugby was cancelled this morning.  I was therefore 50/50 as to whether I might come and do my first Thames Valley XC league race for about 3 years.  However, in the end I thought better of it, given that the reason for the rugby cancellation was waterlogged pitches, and Tadley is the most notoriously muddy of all the courses even in normal conditions.  This, coupled with the fact that I did 5 x 1m plus 2 x 200 on the track on Friday and  17 miler on Saturday meant it would not have been an enjoyable experience.  Did 13 with 10 at approximate MP instead, in horrendous conditions.

Incidentally Bus, who does your son play for?
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    SG; you're right the Lightwater event is still hosted by Bracknell but geographically it is in our patch not their's. That said we are so close it doesn't really matter and our club does a lot of our training in their patch at Bracknell Forest. Sadly it looks pretty sure I'll have to miss that last xc though. Always seems to be the case for one reason or another. 

Like Dachs says we'll just have to wait for the results now. Too much for my tired  brain to work the permutations at the moment.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Amersham and Chiltern Dachs. Yours? That's a pretty tough 3 days incidentally!

I wasn't sure about tarmac today, as I find too much road work seems to set the adductor/hip off nicely, and I did my long run on tarmac Friday as well as a tempo. It also looked pretty treacherous to be fair! I wish I could find a safe road route to the station though, just for when the conditions are as waterlogged as now.

SG - I recently had a bit of a promotion at work. Not much in the way extra wonga, but seemingly an endless supply of extra meetings early doors and at lunchtimes!
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Not sure whether my kids have played Amersham in tournaments. Think they may have done. They play for Redingensians.
  • PeteM said:
    Came to the final hill and Rob Foster (SG and PMJ's watching team boss) told me I could cruise in the last 600 and not lose a place. Very kind of him 
    You are a marked man: Rob was pointing you out to our vets and told them they had to beat you. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice one Bus, getting high profile :)

Phil, i did spot one of our guys with 3 Windle directly in front, but not sure it mattered in the end!

A few quad and hamstring stretches more than usual, as i was reading about "patella tendinitis" which is just under the knee above the shin, the vague area that i felt something yesterday.
    Obviously may not have that, as despite a little hobble out of the car today, a 4miler was pretty comfortably jogged out.

Can feel something on bending down though, so will monitor run by run to be safe!
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't have needed much pointing out Philip covered waist down in mud as I was from the various slips and falls. This photo was almost at the finish line and shows the strange isolation of my finishing position. After Rob's call-out I had jogged the whole home straight at about 9mm pace and still the next runner (also WV I think) is only just coming into sight. Most impressed you have run again already this morning SG!   
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    What a fine specimen!

I've noticed a strange thing that i don't get much traditional achey DOMS type stuff, and am pretty much ready to run the next day. Not sure if that's because i haven't worked hard enough - it didn't feel like there was another gear to use!

Wondering if the high amount of "jumping" yesterday compared to almost every other race ever might have slightly inflamed something after some fairly decent mileage/quality weeks.
    However, if the easy miles can at least tick over that's alright/
  • If you want Doms, SG, mayeb run a marathon flat out.

I have a bit of calf tighness on my good leg today, maybe 16 was too much and the leg was compensating.

Nice XCing all round though, I am tempted to try and get to the next/last one but I'm not one to turn up and jog round.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Woody courses with hills usually ensure it as well. But even Handy Cross didn't supply it this year. Yours sounds like a little body "caution", hopefully same as mine!

It'd be a good debate on which was harder out of yesterday and Handy Cross.
    Nothing like the hills yesterday, even though the last 1/3mile up felt plenty right at the end, but the level of mud, jumping, tight bends and the rest i think took it to a higher plane of difficulty.
    I've never seen so much blood afterwards!
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG, stop worrying and internet diagnosing.  Rest it for a day and it'll probably go away.

Easy run to work this morning, and someone overtook me.  Now, this has only happened to me five or six times on a training run in 7 years, so it's not something that goes down well, even if I am jogging with a backpack on.  Especially since he didn't have the look of speed.  Initially I let him go, and he got about 50m ahead whilst I had an internal battle with myself, and tried to convince myself that chasing him down would be pointless.  I lost that battle, and switched from easy up to steady and started to reel him in.  Then, once 10m behind, I had second thoughts and told myself off.  Instead of passing, I just sat 10m off him like a weirdo, until he turned off and went another direction.  So he wins this one, but if this guy goes past me again, I'm going to burn back past at 5 minute mile pace, casually waving and humming a tune.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Dachs, I had the same internal monologue last week, except that I decided to go past. Best thing to do is upload it to strava and see if you can match a segment and find out who this guy is, assuming he's also on Strava which I find more than half are these days. At least you don't have RC running your commute and stealing all your CRs.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Personally speaking I ignore everyone else whether running or cycling so it doesn't matter if they over take me. That doesn't mean it doesn't bother me though.

Of course if I bump into someone while out running or cycling, and they want to chat, I'll stop for as long as they wish to chat for. I don't consider what I'm doing as particularly special.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    The classic pointless ego attack we all have at times.
    My stupidest ever being deciding to absolutely obliterate some middle aged guy in a tracksuit i'd probably incorrectly judged as tryign to keep up with me.
    Before a tough session. Stupid.

Couple of 4s today, felt fine. Strangely a slight limp for a min walking when i get up, and a bit sore when crouching. Luckily running doesn't require either, but will most likely bin the planned Tue eve Datchet sesh unfortunately and run easy. Shame, as that's a real mixer with 70 or so there round a loop, and next Tuesday is a bit of a rubbish one, a 5k time trial on a dodgy route, where you'd barely see anyone.
  • Probably time to have a go at Bus and Dachs and anyone else involved in planning or transport or anything similar. The Handy Cross roundabout is being resurfaced over 3 weekends (starting 16th Feb, 25th Feb and 2nd Mar) and will be 100% closed. 

That means Wokingham Half which is usually fly down the A404 Marlow bypass is now queue for hours down silly back lanes. 

For fucks sake, do it in parts and keep the rest open. Who cares about the safety of a few workmen? Give them a hi-viz vest and tell them to work faster. They re-did the whole of that roundabout a few years ago without ever closing it. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Just drive down Winchbottom lane and join Marlow and the road that way job isn't it Phil?

Agree on the surprise of shutting a major roundabout though. Just be grateful they're not doing it in the week!

My drive today was over 1hr 10 as it was for 12miles! Having drunk a bottle of water pre run as per usual, I had to use all manner of "mental trickery" to not absolutely re-decorate my car...

one of those ones where you're eyeing up every single road and layby as a potential immediate stop zone

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Seems Phil has worked out a solution to road works en route to the Wokingham Half.

Now then Mr Workmen, move or I'll move you myself.

🙂

• Hi All - 62 notifications! Bloody hell, lots of action.

Well done on the xc boys, good to out a face to a name Pete, looking like the end of a proper xc there. Great report from MH too, love the sound of some of those villages - Hilarious training from ML84 as per usual.

Quietish weekend from me- got out on the tarmac track over the road Saturday morning to test out the Saucony Type A's...very light and 'up on your toes' although I think I might have to use the Adios at Chichester 10k for that little bit extra support - any shorter distance i'll use the Saucony. West Ham - Bmth in the afternoon for one of the coldest matches I've ever been too, neatly spilt my pint I was shaking so much :)

About 13 miles in the snow Sunday morning, picked up the pace for the last 3 miles as I was late getting back home! My back is still hurting a bit after the xc last week - one of those where it's really stiff in the morning getting out of bed (no sniggering at the back) and getting up from the seat at work, but actually pretty fine when you're running. Just have to keep running eh. Will get out and do something at lunchtime I think,

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That's the strange nature of running isn't it Simon. The act is fine, but rest or other activities slightly awkward.
    Got a very comfy 6 & 4 off today, and could comfortably do another if i needed to, but bending to pick something up aches a little, though less than  yesterday! Strange one

Still no results from Sunday, come on Tadley! There's titles up for grabs here!

One of our guys who found Sunday very tough was out doing track last night. I find that amazing! Then efforts tonight, then talking track Wednesday too! Is that too much? It would be for me, even if all singles.

• WoolWool ✭✭✭

It looks like I was right - I feared that the XC was going to be way too tough for me at the weekend so I veered off and ran the Farnborough HM as I had always intended to. Quite a nice course but not a day for fast times. The snow fell pretty heavily through the run and it was frankly bloody freezing. So much so that my start-line bin bag never came off for the entire event which has somewhat spoiled the official race photos!

I used the race for a bit of a session, enjoyed some walk breaks during the reps along with accompanying 'WTF is he doing' funny looks / comments that come along with that kind of strategy. The fact that I could get home under 90 mins with 6 mins of light jogging included hopefully points to something closer to 80 mins with a bit more training later on in the season. Hopefully. 

I enjoyed your spit the pint out line there Simon. Funny that I still always want a pint at that kind of event even when it's brass monkeys! 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    A half marathon would probably be the one thing worse than Sunday's trudge! At least ours had the prospect of being over in 36 or so mins!

I compared times with last year, and the top 31 would have got i quicker than my 8th...that shows how much easier it was last year! Although apparently the other end of the scale, rock hard all over the course! But at least they didn't have that ludicrous tree to try not to smash into, then get under on the run! (twice)
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    I've nothing to do with arranging roadworks PMJ.  The thought of doing that for a living is not one that appeals.
  • Dachs said:
    I've nothing to do with arranging roadworks PMJ.  The thought of doing that for a living is not one that appeals.
    I'll tar you all with the same brush. From where I sit, anyone who does anything with planning is to blame for any of this debacle. Same I expect plays vice versa, I work in analysis software and get asked all the time to fix PCs.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, just be glad you're not responsible for the "genius" new layout of Wycombe town centre.

Featuring the magnificent decision to make lanes so narrow, ambulances have no chance of getting through traffic, to benches, next to what is just a busy road to pavements so pointlessly wide, you could roll sidewards along them and still be nowhere near either end.

(Obviously the above was done way BEFORE the new route was devised...)

The best bit is a 3 way road junction (not a roundabout) with no real sign which is the priority lane, no signs or give way lines, so you either get everyone snailing through, or everyone burning through presuming right of way.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
      I could educate you SG, and refer you to the manual for streets and tell you how capacity is all limited by the junctions, not how the number of lanes etc, but frankly, having had enough of dealing with whingeing eejuts today - I can't be arsed :smile: I had one email today from a woman who said that, because some incompetent idiot had the audacity to allow a burst water main to be repaired, her 5 minute journey to work took her an hour, and made her miss her "sports classes". Far be it from me to suggest she might get off her fat backside and walk to work if she only lives 5 minutes away, thereby saving her the need to go to said fucking "sports classes" in the first place and reducing the queue for everyone else by at least one twat....!

Have you ever been to the Science Museum by the way?

Philip - believe me, if we could have got Highways England to do it another way, we would - I don't fancy the rather extended trip back from Wokingham anymore than anyone else!!! And why haven't you fixed by Garmin syncing with my phone then??? Anyway, it may not happen as their project team have "forgotten" to tell the likes of John Lewis....

I had to spend so much time deliberately screwing up people's journeys today that I didn't get a lunch break and had to force myself out once I'd got home this evening. Wish I hadn't bothered - slow as anything and the old adductor thing has flared up again. I've done 22 weeks averaging over 50 mpw, but as soon as I make any sort of concerned effort at speed it happens again. Very annoying

• Well I have to take a different route to Wokingham half start every year because of road closures. i just don't get it, the road is never closed apart from the morning of the race.

Bit of calf strain post long run so Monday was a rest and Tuesday just a 4 mile trot.
  • The Bus said:
    Far be it from me to suggest she might get off her fat backside and walk to work if she only lives 5 minutes away, thereby saving her the need to go to said fucking "sports classes" in the first place and reducing the queue for everyone else by at least one twat....!

Twat has two meanings:
    1.a woman's genitals.
    2.a person regarded as stupid or obnoxious.
    I trust you just find her stupid or obnoxious and are not defining her by her genitalia ;-)
    The Bus said:
    And why haven't you fixed by Garmin syncing with my phone then??? 

That is self-imposed: I refer you to the policing manual and it clearly says anyone found using a windows phone should be approached with caution as they are likely to have escaped from a high-security hospital.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Road junctions!

How about this one, apparently the worst junction in New Zealand. I've been going through this one on and off for over 20 years.

Easy on a bike. Most drivers are sitting there wondering who's move it is.

I've always wondered what planning departments do with all the the brown envelopes they get after the contents have been squirreled away.

🙂