Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Wokingham Half is drawing in the usual lunatics. I have entered and put down 1:30 for a finish time and already 389 have put down 1:29 or faster. Last year, 312 finishers sub 90 minutes chip time. I am not sure what the point of the exercise is as there is no assignment of number or starting pen based on it.
  • Options

Wool - yeah that's we often say in these types of conditions - 'What I need now is a pint of really cold drink!' sadly there's not much warm booze apart from Irish Coffee, mulled wine and that stuff they used to flog in Yates' wine lodges years ago - a 'blob' or something, think that was just warm wine or something.

Nice junction Ric - we usually get round the magic roundabout in Hemel no problems, they're actually quite easy to negotiate.

Back seems to be better now thankfully. Full monty commute 14 miler today and track at Luton tomorrow - not easing for the Southern on Saturday, it will be hell either way so no point really, treat it as a hard training run. Bastard of a training run really :)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Phil - it's for keen "investigators" of all things internet like yourself to sniff through and commentate on :)

I remember enjoying hearing once that someone was talking of how they'd beat me based on these predictions, when they'd gone optimistic on their time, and i'd gone characteristically understated :smiley:

This year, no idea...is 1hr 20 sandbagging, optimistic, or spot on. No idea!

Very windy in places today. Resisted any ideas on doing track with the team, so just a 6&4. Gradually feel that little flex/crouch strain less each. Now just a little on crouching.

Simon, anything double figures pre work is always a tidy sesh.
  • Options
    SG - Nah that's for the day. Only done 7 so far ;)
  • Options
    Stevie G said:

Sandbagging.
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Nice highways engineering rant there Bus!

Not dignifying any comments about brown envelopes with a response tbh.

PMJ, the point of the exercise is for us all to stalk the entries and laugh at what people have put down.  Your task can be to find the most hilariously ambitious target and post it here for our collective amusement.

SG, another vote for sandbagging.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Here's one to kick off your search Philip; a v55 guy at my club with the Po10 as below has gone for a 1'20 time. Maybe working off an exponential improvement to his 10 minute one from 2016 to 2017 :)

EventPB201820172016

parkrun20:5221:5620:5222:27
    10K43:5443:5447:29
    10M74:3474:34
    HM1:43:051:43:051:53:32

SG; I expect about 1'16 from you

See the TVXC results are finally out. Windle Valley guaranteed top overall now and top women whatever happens at the final event. Men's goes to the last with Windle and Datchet level. Us winning it is almost as much a turn up as Leicester in the PL 2016 :o   Expect SG's club to bring out all their big guns for the last one now to avoid the embarrassment of losing the men's to us too!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Calm it down fellas, remember in 26 half marathons when next to issues, really fit and confident my best was 1.15.41, and second best 1.17.03.

After the disaster of the last one, which to show the game of running to a tee, was only 4months after that 1.17.03(!), the year of "in limbo" tests, and having not raced over 7miles since, we can't be expecting a top 2 performance!

Well done on the TVXC overall, quite a step up from last year. The women's side has been a real advantage for you this year, especially with the slightly awkward 50-50 weighting, despite 60-40 numbers.

We "could" field the best woman i'm aware of in the series (not sure if Reading have anyone bubbling under, but probably not), and she turned out at precisely....zero races. I believe she's a vet too!

After that, hard luck stories with the top guys not turning out on form enough, but that's the game!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

In 2012, I put down 1:29 and ran 1:19, but that's kind of the other way round.  In fairness, I was in about 1:29 shape when I entered...

SG, our best woman hasn't run any of the TVXC this year either, but I believe yours is quicker. Unfortunately, we lost a few of our female stars a couple of years ago to moving up north/pregnancy/club changes, and no-one else has come in at that level.  I think our top 7 men have about 2 TVXC appearances between them this season, so that hasn't helped our cause...

Great performance from Windle Valley to even be in with a chance of the win.  Named after a river the size of which you could rival if you had a piss at the top of the Brecon Beacons.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I meant to write something about clearly Reading, being more than double at least the size of each the other 14 clubs would clearly win if putting their top line up out!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I had a quick look to see how Dachs turning up would have affected the results.

Reading's top scorer was 47th, and it's likely Dachs would have been 1st (although it was a particularly "levelling" sort of course with the mud, so wouldn't have been a straight pace battle...), so that'd be 46 positions gained.

There was no other Reading non scorer from 1to 47, so with Dachs being a vet, they wouldn't have been able to bump the now 3rd vet to a senior (as there wasn't one)

Reading were 50 behind Datchet, so even with Dachs not top. 2nd though. But as Windle's "worst" score which doesn't count was a 2nd, then the 3rd would have replaced that, so in effect no difference.

That's alright then!

One last note on the scoring, it is a slightly curious set up where you can have 4 of the top 8 runners out of 15 clubs, with 300+ there, but still not win the event :)
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Purely a function of gender equality SG; with 4 in the first 8 you win the men's unless your next 2 are way off, but that says nothing about the ladies team. That said; if we believe in true gender equality it should probably be 5 or 6 scoring from each gender not 6 men and 4 ladies. That would put more focus on getting good ladies teams out, which is how it should be really, especially for a more social type of league. It also benefits the clubs that have a high proportion of females (think we are over 50%) which again I think is good for the sport overall and for improving fitness in society.   
  • Options
    Dachs said:

PMJ, the point of the exercise is for us all to stalk the entries and laugh at what people have put down.  Your task can be to find the most hilariously ambitious target and post it here for our collective amusement.

They should make it easier and put down their powerof10 URL and current PB. The best examples are always people who have no online record so stalking is a bit pointless.

There is a  Matthew Richards unattached with 70 minutes but he is probably the Reading Roadrunners guy of the same name.
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:

Biggest load of sandbagging I've read on any thread on RW. Knocking out quality sessions for fun. Taking some scalps over XC.

it all depends if you go 'all in' with it though as even though your recent results have been up there it always makes me think you've still got plenty more in the tank as you seem to be sightseeing half of the time. ;-) 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Ta Matt, will run it as hard as the day brings, but will be that slight doubt after so long without one. However, it'll be the final step in the process.

Bus n Phil will be there (hopefully one driving :) , and 30-40 clubmates, so it's the perfect return really.

I do live every moment in races :) But there were a few last year that could have been faster (The Marlow 7 for instance was one I eased into, with the steep hills, and furthest distance i'd done for years). However, the 4.56 mile, couple of 5ks and a 5miler felt really sharp. Probably still need to recover that top end racing feeling, but the last 2 races felt more like it, on very differing courses - the latter feeling more like a who can run least slow contest!

• Options
    Hmmm, yup, still don't understand your guys XC scoring system :)

SG, I'll be thoroughly disappointed if you don't come away with a sub-80! You should definitely be going 6min/mi or under with the quality training you've been putting in!

Legs were a little wooden on Monday, and the first time I've had DOMS for some time! Eased throughout the day.

Had a couple of good runs yesterday and today - yesterday was 7.2mi at 8:02/mi for 74.8%HR. I did originally plan to do the run at the track whilst the Mrs swam so I could see the club, but couldn't face 25+ laps or the temptation to join the session! Opted for loops of the local area which was a welcome change of scenery :)

On the note of races and then training sessions... SG, what is your club mate on?! I can understand doing one a couple of days after a race, but 3 sessions concurrently?! Unfortunately some people think the only way to improve is to routinely smash yourself into the ground.

Today's run was a bit of a milestone for me... First easy run at sub-8 pace! 7.5mi at 7:47/mi for 75.2%HR :) really pleased to see this, but actually quite surprised it came whilst my legs are still getting over the race!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Pete, it is good to encourage everyone in, and a lot of the ladies enjoy that it's all in, unlike the other leagues.

However, the 6-4 is based on participant numbers. If you equalled that out, you'd have problems. Either 4-4 would leave way too many out of the scoring mix on the male side, or 6-6 and you'd have plenty of teams struggling to get enough to even score. I'm sure that was an argument not to move to 4 at one stage, when it was 7-3.

I can't remember if we did the analysis last year of whether just counting the 6 and 4 using "ALL IN" positions would work better, or make no difference. Say 40 for 1st woman scorer instead of a separate 1. Then you would have a great differential between the women finishers, so every scorer is factored in more.

I don't know. It's a great little friendly series, and one I haven't done as many events in for about 5-6 years now!

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    I see your point SG but still think 6 and 6 is fine. If teams can't get 6 they just take penalties which mostly would affect only the 'also rans' teams. The whole equality angle is then better served as well as making the focus more on balanced teams by gender.

Anyway let's take off forum as probably boring the majority on here senseless?

Good run Matt H; back to normal again soon hopefully.

Dachs; you've found where WV is then. Not so long ago you said it was a made up place a la Liberia in the Little Britain sketch? 
  • Options
    Our women have been much stronger than the men this year so 6 & 6 is fine for us.

I think SG has a sub 1:17 in the tank but whether there's still an easing in process is another matter. I'd be delighted with a 1:17:xx but I expect that a sub 1:19 is more realistic, especially as I am working through niggles as I get back into it. The latest is a sore calf. Plus I am about 4kgs heavier than I was at Abingdon. I could have run 1:17 that day I reckon.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Philip isn't there a 3rd, relating to the gender of a goldfish? Either way, I was thinking 2 - I'm hoping never to be a position to have an opinion on 1!! As for the phone my (only) defence is that it is provided by work and I'm too tight to pay for my own (or carry two phones!). 

Happy for a group trip to Wokey SG - but the price is listening to me drone on about highway design (actually, don't worry - I'm boring myself!).  Ric - can't zoom in on that photo to take view! Hard to beat the magic roundabout in Hemel tbh...

I've gone for 1:20 on the basis that is what I always predict for Wokingham. SG - definitely sandbagging! You should be looking at a comfortable 1:18:xx, but your recent results suggest a hard effort could take you much lower.  Have you ever been in better shape than now, with more quality training under your belt and some decent hard-racing behind you?

Matt H - sometimes they just come out like that with no seeming rhyme or reason! Means it is time to press-on...

Fecking horrible weather at lunch today, but forced out a 10M with 8.5 at MP effort. Given how crap last night's easy run was, I was quite pleased for it to come out at a reasonably relaxed 6:43 pace for the 10 and 6:39 ish for MP bit. Bit sore and stiff in the old hip/adductorthis evening mind.

Very muddy xc tomorrow morning, with the prospect made just that bit more delectable in the knowledge that the shower at work has no hot water currently........nice!

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Nice MP session Bus. Ay thoughts on doing Brighton as I think that's an age group qualifier for an England vest. Think Dachs is doing Brighton. Might be wrong. 

Like I commented on strava Matt, good to see the paces coming down. 

I think if SG gave it full beans he'd go under 1.15. 
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I can relate more to the magic roundabout in Hemel as I've been round it a few times and even run under it. It makes more sense than your XC scoring system anyway. 
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Bus, google 'Hill street intersection Warkworth New Zealand'. That'll give all sorts of views.
    Good lunch run btw.

On the subject of race predictions, forget them. If the training has been correct, the race will take care of itself. I'd simply run and take what appears. 

In a race you need to be concentrating on running form, efficiency, breathing and cadence patterns, not playing games of mental arithmetic and fretting about how you can face the world of social media when your dreamed for sums don't add up.

🙂

• Options
    I'm doing Brighton on Saturday - not sure which is harder though, their 15k xc course or 26 miles of tarmac ;)
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

reading back good XC'ing chaps. sounds good fun with the added excitement of some steeplechase sections,  though this league creates a mass of excitement of raceday reports then a week of mithering about women scorers. :)

for you roundabout enthusiasts you should google poyntons shared zone.  which is designed that no one seems to have right of way , pedestrians or drivers and the road turns into a big pedstrianisation space with a figure 8 instead of a roundabout and uneven tarmac to create mounds/bumps which slows and helps guide traffic.  my first time tackling it I thought I had gone rogue and was on the pavement.

some things never change,  xmas day is on the 25th,  easter eggs in the shops from January and SG will sandbag his race predictions.  :)

my first race indoors ever last night.  800m BMC in Sheffield. only 2 weeks into training and it had gone well so far.  told the race was 7.45 and come 8.15 we still waiting after doing all our warmups and strides. BMC should always go off on time as they stop the open races at these set times.  so we had all cooled down by race time.  get going eventually in the C race.  I was the slowest on paper as most were aiming for 1.56.  I was at least double these lads age.  went off and immediately at the back, went through 200 in 28, through 400 in 59 and felt ok.  but the pain was to come started to get tired and 1.31 at 600.  oh shit!  push and pushed the last lap,  overtook 1 lad, and got onto the back of the crowd but crossed the line in 2.03.  winner did 2.01 and is in 1.56 shape.  In the B race, double olympian and multi world record holder Whiteman ran a 2.02!!  in fairness thats off injury and illness over xmas but its probably the first time he has shown mortal form.  Im confused about my performance, I gave everything but thought I would be quicker....yet its very early in the training and everyone was down on times and only a second of the worlds best ever Master.. so I think im happy about it :) 1500m on sunday

• Options
    Dean, still a solid run there. I always reckon it takes a few outings in the year to get back into the groove of things and if that is your first ever race indoors you will get better over the next few as you get used to the rhythm of the 200m track. In fact, there is a lot more variance in indoor tracks versus outdoors (some are long and thin, others short and fat and the banking varies) so even going from track to track can be disconcerting.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ML84 said:
    Nice MP session Bus. Ay thoughts on doing Brighton as I think that's an age group qualifier for an England vest. Think Dachs is doing Brighton. Might be wrong. 

Like I commented on strava Matt, good to see the paces coming down. 

I think if SG gave it full beans he'd go under 1.15. 
    Cripes man, this gets sillier by the minute :open_mouth:

15 today, 6.50, fastest in 4. Felt decent. I'll admit to going decently. But nothing more :)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Dean - a distance and pace out of most of our experiences, so hard to relate to such a short race!
    Early in the training like you say is probably the key taking from that.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I think by "under 1.15" Matt was talking about the time of day ;-). Wouldn't that be something though!!

Sounds like a damn solid opener to me that Dean, especially as an indoor virgin!

Ric  - misread "Warkworth" to start with!!!! Will take a look....Pyntons is famous Dean (in the sm

I was thinking of possibly Chester Matt - but still not convinced I can be arsed with another marathon!

• Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭

Phil - what did I put down for Wokee? I'm sure you getting it from your memory banks will be quicker than me going on their site :-)

Is it Thursday already? I'm sure that you'd have been interested to get a download from Tues training SG. Not much to report - we used the town centre lap which was exceptionally busy with cars, people, and 2 sets of roadworks. I ran like a drain but I'm putting that down to the fact that I like to get in to a rhythm when I am running and with all that there was no rhythm to be had. James was miles ahead on his own, the rest of us trailing well behind with only Sean bridging the gap despite running 3 sessions and a race in 4 days. Youngsters.

Actually, Phil again. Wouldn't it be nice for you to tabulate people's Wokee predictions and then put the PMJ prediction against it? You could expand to local celebrities that don't frequent the thread too. I know you're itching to do that, go on....

In other news I have discovered that the Vaporfly 4% have gone out of production. More reason than ever for me to scold the wife if she ever, ever touches my pair. Once she put her netball trainers on top of them in the cupboard. She slept in the laundry that night.