Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Nice opener Dean, sounds like you're reasonably happy with it.

Bus, I am glad you're doing Wokingham but I really need to change that 3-0 PO10 H2H record so if I do manage to get ahead, you're not allowed to DNF, under any circumstances!

So is SG down for sub 1:15 is that where this has settled?

Just under 9 miles for me at lunch, it was a real trudge and 7:40 pace felt like hard work.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Whoa whoa whoa...easy fellas :)

Wool - was a shame to miss that one, as it was my first taster of a mass Datchet session. Just wasn't worth the risk with a minor niggle, that allowed a 10mile day, but didn't want to smash myself. Especially as i'd have been doing my best to keep James honest for at least rep 1 and 6 :)
    Won't do the time trial either, as right now,a  5km burn at night on a less than fast route doesn't fit any sort of plan. Especially as it could be a fairly solo effort, bar the turnaround.
    It's excellent the sessions are posted ages ahead, and it's not a pure lotto like Marlow days. Allows for planning.

Bit gutted what looks like a really fun relay is 2 days after Wokingham. I cannot for a second imagine i'd be in any state to try that one!

Sean's on a mission at the moment, but a tough race, then track, then that, then track isn't wise in anyone's book. At best you're ensuring less than peak results and at worst heading to breakdown territory.

Phil, will be interested to see your night's work on the predictions tracker ;)
  • Wool said:

Phil - what did I put down for Wokee? I'm sure you getting it from your memory banks will be quicker than me going on their site :-)

Actually, Phil again. Wouldn't it be nice for you to tabulate people's Wokee predictions and then put the PMJ prediction against it? You could expand to local celebrities that don't frequent the thread too. I know you're itching to do that, go on...

1:25: easy one there as I was surprised when I saw 1:14 but that is a Steve with the same surname as you (any relative?) so it stayed near the top of the memory. If only names were as easy to remember as numbers. 

I have no real insight into people's performance. I can tell a sandbagger (SG ;-) ) and I can tell someone who has no clue about times or no intent to predict correctly. The biggest swings are those on the fast uphill part of training: look at Dachs going from 95 minutes in 2011 to 76 in 2012, Dean 93 to 74 over 2 years etc etc.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Reg - that surprised me! I thought you had one over me at one of the TCXC's a while back?  I'll try not to DNF - it's only happened twice in 250+ races, though of the two the CBA one was Wokingham so I have form! 

Anyone notice Strava is now doing distance to tow decimal paces rather than rounding down all the time now? It also has a feature called "correct distance" which claims to correct GPS errors. Not sure how good its algorithms are, but one thing it is useful for is tracking the bits you accidentally pause your GPS for - like tonight when I stopped for a pee! It's  bit late in the day mind, as with my new Garmin it is a lot more difficult to make that mistake than the old one, as it pauses on a black screen. I was forever losing bits of miles wiht the old one!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Ah Strava. The only reason i'd even consider it would be to set a hoax login up and have some fun winding a couple of people I know who are obsessed with it (and a fair bit slower) and hoover up their times. ( no-one from this website!)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

It's just over 3 weeks to this half marathon then, so i've pencilled the below potential plan, based on the best parts of Moz's standard approach, but factoring in my commitment to the last XC of the series (where the men's title is decided), plus getting a club session in too.

W/C Jan 29th

• 3x2m HMP of 90secs
    • 15 miler
    • Sunday - Bracknell XC

W/C Feb 5th

• Tue - club hills session (pending recovery from Sunday)
    • End of week - 12-14miler ending with 4-6miles MP/HMP or a "very" long run of say 17/18 straight easy pace

W/C Feb 12th - Taper week

• Tue - 3x1m HMP off 90secs OR 4x7mins club session

18th Feb - race day

How's this look chaps? Any thoughts/improvements?

• Don't think that TVXC was put on there, Bus. You must have hacked in and removed it.

I noticed the two dec points, still doesn't help my 149.97 mile bike ride get to 150 though.
  • ioweriower ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Some cracking efforts xc-ing, mental training marathons and rapid indoor races going on! 

Struggled with doms for a few days after my parkrun/gym combo - that’s what comes after your first bit of weight training in yonks I guess. Did an hour steady on the bike (turbo) Sunday then an hour steady run with a mate Monday but struggled with both. 7:15 ish pace average felt tough.
    Bailed the track session Tuesday after a couple of reps and just got a load of laps in instead - 6 miles in total. Rest yesterday then tonight; 10 miles @ 7:05/mile on a hilly route in the wind and rain - much more like it. Legs felt much better. 

Will persist with the gym for a while and see how I get on. Not got a race lined up for a while so have a bit of freedom in that respect. 
  • ioweriower ✭✭✭
    Stevie G - those few weeks look pretty good, I haven’t built to a half recently - only 5’s and 10k’s but I’d probably go with the 12-14 with hmp miles towards the end. As much for the mental side of things as anything else!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I'd agree with iower SG - if you want an very long run, do it two weeks out rather than a week out. Personally, given your current form and proven ability to recover from XC races, I'd race Bramley the week before. Maybe not totally balls out, but close to it. Two PBs in two weeks? You're not likely to get a better chance than on current form....

Reg - if only I had that power!  Try clicking on the "correct data"  bit - it seems to add on 0.01/2, so might stretch to the 0.03 you need :-)

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG  - as for the others, it all looks good except that long run.  I would be OK with doing a long run with some MP maybe 10 days out but not closer.  You probably don't need a massive long run, I think when I ran my 70 I was rarely going further than 15.

New Adios Boost have arrived.  Pale blue.  Not sure that's an exciting enough colour to get me under 2:30.

• Tommy2D said:
    Nice stats  :) Main conclusions is those in the south are the best, followed by the north and then a soft middle.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Will have a scan later Tdog.
    Bus, you're obsessed with Bramley :) Are you actually in yourself?
    Not 100% sure it would be a good idea, as it'd be 3 racing weekends in a row, and what if it feels hard work or went badly, and then it's a longer race the next weekend!

Strange pricing, £22 for the 10, yet...£24 for the 20!
    I know it's 2 loops, but still.

Dachs - was considering the 12-14 for maybe the Saturday, as i think i remember doing something like that previously, so 8 days before, and the 18 2 weeks before or something. But will scrap the latter, and re-consider the MP one, or tweak it.
    Will get next week done first.

Today was 6&4, no quality this week for an easier week, but the 15 was a tidy run

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Tommy2D said:
    Nice stats  :) Main conclusions is those in the south are the best, followed by the north and then a soft middle.

The Southerns will be much weaker this year with no Tonbridge.
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Dachs, I've recently been using a pair of Boston boosts and I'm impressed. Had them before but a while back but I've had to putt a lining of gaffer tape where my little toes are as they tend to pop out after a few miles. 

Finally got back round to the track last night. Hate Thursdays now as I can't be doing with the track, especially during the winter. It's a relief when I can't get there so I can do the session on the treadmill. Last nights was 5 x 1mile off 2 mins rec then 10 x 300 off 90 secs. First rep was a bit loose as I never do any strides in my warm up so its 8 min miling to 5 mins in an instant. 
    Averaged 5.09 for them and then mostly 51/52s for the 300s. Legs were tying up at around 150m on every rep and my hammy was tight throughout. 
    Weathered a couple of monsoons to and ended up with over 13 miles done by the time we'd finished. 
  • Tommy2D said:
    The Southerns will be much weaker this year with no Tonbridge.
    Probably a bit but not a lot. To be fair, I have a lot of sympathy with them. The SEAA has a poor record in terms of admin, how often have we waited for days on this thread for relay results only to be told that they didn't start a watch. Had the same at Tadley last weekend, some fool dropped the finish tokens and handed them out in random order. In this day and age, every race should have a static video camera so if there is a need, the race times and places can be recreated from video evidence. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Matt - is that 10k pace job? That's sharp.
    I'd fancy making a decent attempt at that session now (obviously not near your level), whereas i wouldn't have dreamed of it for a good 18 months!

Shocking quote job Phil :)
    Only absolute geniuses would purposely clash the southern relays with Eastleigh and Reading. Absolute freakin dolts.

The Tadley kerfuffle was chuckles, lucky it was fairly minimised though.
    They are possibly the smallest club in the league though, with about 80 members, so not sure they could deal with the tech.
    Do other clubs? Reading obviously do with the footage you posted, is that the norm for everyone else?
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Entries close Sunday, so still deciding SG. To be fair, it's a different game for you- you've shown on a number of occasions that you can bounce back from a race to a hard session relatively easy currently and have said as much yourself, so a 95% hard 10 is not going to damage your chances at Wokingham. On the other hand, I am old and on the verge of falling apart, and any hard effort ow takes me along time to get over - it takes me a week to recover from parkrun!!!!

Rest day today and LSR tomorrow. Toying with squeezing Rye parkrun in the middle, but not sure yet.....
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Oh and Dachs, just get some luminous green paint and put a stripe on each side of those new Boosts. Together with some fluoro laces and 2.30 will be in the bag !
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Tommy2D said:

when I saw these on Facebook earlier I thought PMJ will enjoy these.

the middle is soft due to population numbers im sure ;)

SG - like others I would sack off the long run.  its wont do you any benefit come race day so close. you wont get any fitter for race day due to doing it.  I would do a cheeky 8 and make sure my trotters were fresh for when it really matters.

matt that's a great session for volume/pace and this time of yr.  you are showing some tidy form. remember to bag some PBs :)

• Great opener Dean, dread to think what I would do for an indoor 800 at the moment, 2.10 probably at best...close to the big man too eh! Lovely session too ML84, I did similar last night without the 300's though! Love the stats too, exactly what I thought, midlands will always be weaker due to the population thing. 

So so in the spirit of not tapering for the Southerns, we had 5 x 1 mile on the track last nights with 90 secs recovery. Got down to the bottom of the first lap and nearly fell over, track was getting a bit slippy and it was bloody 5 degrees. Managed to bang the first three out in 5.10's, then had to go for a poo stop. So 6 minute rest then a 5.10 and a 5.09. Better than coach and I expected, so happy with that, especially with the track conditions at one end. 

So on the train tomorrow to Brighton, not looking forward to the race tbh. Beers on train back..yes :)
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    You're right Dean. Glad I ran the half a couple of weeks back now as it least gives me an indication of where I'm at. Unfortunately I can't seem to find a decent 10k with a quality field so I'm at a cock and biscuits job in a couple of weeks then its more focused to London. 
    How did you find running on the indoor track? Are the banked sides better? I bet Mr Whiteman still fancied running quicker than 2 mins even though he's on the comeback. 

Nice session Simon? Is there a decent group to go with? A lad joins my session who is now a low 33 runner after 1 year of racing so its good to have the company. He used to fade off on the longer reps but late last year we was always side by side. It gave me a bit of a boost last night as he tailed off on 2-3-and 4 and then only ran 1200 of the last one. Makes it easier if you think you're going well. 
    He's running the northerns and I wished him luck with that session in his legs. 
    Saying that he ran a 10k XC late last year in the afternoon finishing 3rd then ran 16.02 at night in one of the podium races. :-/
  • Probably have a shoot at the Ealing Mile on Friday. Current V50 mark to beat is 6:04 to get to #1 in the V50 rankings in 2018 so a nice screenshot for a few months. As luck will have it, I'll probably come home behind a bunch of V50s now. 
  • ML84- Bit sparse at the moment sadly, Kimpton was doing 4.50's and the others were further back. Gets like this now and again. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    As I had to get up ear;y to take my son to rugby I stuck to the plan of a parkrun in the middle of a long run. Not ideal, as I had a few beers last night and felt slightly sick on the run down to the Rye, but hey ho! 6.2M there, feeling queasy, and running out of time I nearly bailed out, but didn't. So, with about 2 mins to go, quick chat to Philip (apparently incoherent babble from me!) whilst trying to put away my headphones on the start line. The 1 minute to go announcement was actually 20 secs, so I was slightly caught out, and started behind masses of people. No idea what pace to try, so went by feel and was pleased to start overtaking people. Nearly wiped out by a dog poo bin, then by a dog and started moving to a bit more clear space. By the first mile (a leisurely 6.19) I was surprised to be in 4th. Next mile was a bit slower (steps and mud!), but the 3rd was OK at 6:03. Ended up 4th, with 19:44 (my slowest at the Rye). Given it's the first time I've done it like that, the underlying queasiness and plenty of mud, I'm reasonably happy with that, and the results show most times seem down. I'll have my work cut out at Wokingham to do over 4x the distance at 15 secs per mile faster though!!!! 
    Quick warm down with Philip (sorry for the rant!) and then just under 5 home (unfortunately including Hamilton Hill!) to make 14.1M done and dusted for the weekend.
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    That's solid that Bus. I wouldn't worry about having to run quicker and further at Wokingham as conditions will be better, you'll be in race mode and won't have had a few beers the night before. 
    I ran 16.5X at my local parkrun the other week and then averaged 16.5X pace for my recent half marathon. 

Managed to grind out my 22 miles this morning. Supposed to pick it up over the last 4 miles but after running in the rain and 40mph gusts for 2 hours it was sods law i hit the headwind on that section on the canal. Not the nicest morning but averaged 6.41. May have to adjust my training week as one days recovery isn't the best for me between sessions. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cheers Matt. That's also a very solid long run! Sounds like one you really had to tough out, so character building :smile:
  • The Bus said:
    quick chat to Philip (apparently incoherent babble from me!) 
    Definitely incoherent, no doubt about it. Still ticking along, nothing to indicate that there is anything seriously wrong but nothing to indicate anything faster is coming. Another parkrun in the low 20s without too much effort but just couldn't raise it up a notch. Still, scenic run yesterday from the back end of High Wycombe down to the Thames Valley over fields and woods and then back up in bright winter sunshine, that's all I need from this lark.
  • Good long runs there Matt and Bus, do you find it helps to break up the monotony by having the parkrun in there?

Looks like there was some good Thursday evening training going on too.

Easy run on Thursday, 7.4mi coming in at 7:47/mi for 75.7%HR - it's a good sign to have 3 runs in 3 days at a markedly improved pace and HR!
    Went for a long run on the coast with my mate today, starting at St Ives and going out to Zennor and back - finished up with 14.5mi and nearly a km of elevation! Pace was 13:21/mi and HR78.1%. A large amounts of the route wasn't overly runnable, or at least not for long stretches, what with so much mud and a deluge of water streaming off the land. Obviously the steep gradients and rocks don't help in those conditions :) 
    I managed to avoid falling over god knows how many times, despite losing footing in the mud, catching my foot behind me other ankle, and also aquaplaning single footed over some slick grass!  :D Weather was much better than forecast - no driving rain, although it was pretty windy!

The chap I ran with is doing the Arc of Attrition in a couple of weeks, 100mi round from Coverack to Porthtowan. So served as a good opportunity for him to see the state of the coast path following the weather we've had recently!