Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Classic set of niggles there Bus. Although people swear running offroad and suchlike is easier and all that, I tend to find it the opposite! Classic pre race stuff though, which'll then magic away on the day!

Sounds like you've done pretty well there Matt. Heavy wind on a mere 4 mile jog yesterday felt hard work until half way!

Nice one Pete. If Woodley was run on the park we did the XC at he'd have a point ;) How are the teeth bedding in?

2x4 easy yesterday followed by a work leaving do in Windsor. Mentioned it to Rob T, and made it even better when he was around too for some running chat. So much so, that in the end, I had to make sure I was at least pretending to be on the leaving do :)

Couple of diet cokes, and left at 10pm, and still I needed, ok, fancied sleeping in until...midday!

Just a 10 will do tomorrow for a 62mile week, then will turn up fresh at Wokingham, with just a 3x1m and a 10mile being the only even moderately long or fast runs.

Facebook brought up one of those memories today, 5 years ago today was the 75.41. It was a pretty windy and wet day, but some days you just smash it.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I'm sure you'll be ok on the day Bus. Doing the bare minimum between now and then could be in order.
    ML, another impressive training set. It must be getting difficult to work out where the training can be improved when such a volume and intensity are already in the mix. Personally, I aim to reduce the volume, up the intensity, increase the recovery.

Great result Pete. Though I suspect that missing that last parkrun is going to gnaw away at you for several months, maybe years  :) .

SG, Off road is easier in one way, when it's about impact forces and avoiding injuries caused by uni-directional loading. One exception is frozen ground. Worst of everything in that case.

Btw, 14 hour sleep! I reckon you need a few more hours during the rest of the week.

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Bus- google foam rolling itb.   It's a pointless exercise accordingly to many physios. My physio agrees.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Do you guys find much benefit from foam rollering at all?

I can't say I really do.

Ric, good hours of sleep on paper, at least 8 hours, but I suspect the 6am wakeup takes some of the benefit off. Shame we can't tweak the days round a bit, as 6-9pm I'm often feeling like I could go on forever, but 6am..that's a bit of a death march feeling!

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Ric, Don't worry I didn't miss a parkrun; churned out a 28'xx with my daughter even straight after the surgery!
  • Will do Dean, but seems to work for me - ITB always seems a bit stretchier afterwards anyway. Same for quads SG.
    Nice parkrun Pete, as usual :smile:

Cracking long run and tempo Matt! I did retch today by the way - just a little one about 4k in :smile:
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I missed that one Pete.

On the parkrun theme. Clearly there's an aspect about accumulating those sheer numbers which grabs a lot of people. What did people do before parkrun came along?

Having an easy day today. Less than the average two hours training and all on the bike. I'm on 43 miles for the week so I should clear 50 tomorrow.

If that doesn't mess anything up, I'll aim to double up most of the week ahead.

🙂

• You got any races coming up Ric? Staines?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

A woman from my club racked up 500 this weekend. That's almost 10 solid years of turning out every single week!

I had a bit of fun touring different ones, I think I did about 6 different ones over 7/8 weeks at one point. It served a good purpose when I had that long uncertain period, and was a perfect low key way back into racing.

But now, they're not a jot on a "proper" race. Though doing the 2 on New Year's day was a good start to the year, racking a couple of turnouts up.

500 though! 9am on a Saturday is such an early hour to be ready by, when you spend all week up early though!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Bus - once you read up on itb you will see it doesn't get stretchier. :)
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Yes Bus, Staines is entered, and just as well I did so immediately. I think it sold out less than a week after the email notification.

Hopefully I'll do my clubs summer league series of road races.

Harrow half marathon could also be a bet. May even do the Round Norfolk Relay again if the club enters the thing.

🙂

• It's already sold out? Well that makes the choice of Staines or Marlow a wee bit easier then!

Dean, yes, but if I find out the facts then it won't even work on a psychosomatic level :smile:

• The Bus said:
    Chilly parkrun this morning, as part of a medium long run of 10.5M. Bit better than two weeks ago! The course was slightly long, as they were making us avoid the football pitches, but that also meant we were squeezed onto a path covered in icy puddles - slightly treacherous at the start with kids, dogs and over-hopefuls in tracky bottoms getting in the way! Anyway, 3rd overall and just scraped under my target of 6mM pace with 18:50 for the slight over-distance course. 

The course does get a bit interesting when the ice is there. I see you are creeping up, 45 parkruns so far, soon you can claim a 50 shirt. 

Good run from PeteM and impressive age grading again. I guess the cold weather keeps the old ladies away and you at the top of the table.

I went to Black Park to celebrate one of our members reaching 500 parkruns. Like bus, I made it a long run with a dozen miles tagged on in the South Bucks countryside. Don't ever recall a run with more wildlife watching me: four separate deer and a very inquisitive fox. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

I can see Bus proudly wearing that 50 t shirt round town :)

Ric- that's an insane sell out time! Like Bus though, i'm glad, as it removes even the slightest temptation to enter. Can't not do the Marlow 5 though, it's sub a big race locally, a more pleasant mental distance, closer (obviously!), and a club event. Will have to work hard to get into the team if everyone turns up, though every chance 1 of the 4 quicker doesn't turn up!

Still, let's get Wokingham done first.  Then i'll look around and splash a few entries in.

10 this morning, 6.59 and comfy pace, but felt quite breathy at times. Not sure if it was the very cold weather, that I'd literally slept yesterday away or just a slight tight muscle in the upper rib area.

Unlike Wycombe half though, it doesn't have a stonking hill early on, and won't be humid and hot!

Guy who used to run for Datchet did 69.09 or something at Barcelona half today. He said he didn't think he'd pb again after a triple stress fracture of the pelvis! Ouch! I think he's done amazingly to pb again just being at that level!! Some guys just have that talent within.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Yes, sold out. 
    I looked after six days and there were already 700 plus entries. The site didn't state it was sold out but the finish numbers are around mid 500's, so I reckoned it was close.
    Having looked a few minutes ago, the list is closed for sure with 801 entries.

I think the days of using the entry 'close by' date as a means of choosing popular races are long gone.

Seven miles for me this morning, top and tailed by 30 minutes on the indoor bike. I think tri guys called this a brick session which reminds me, where's IronCat5 these days?

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Luke traynor and Ben Connor both ran 61 in Barcelona. Puts them both in the top 20 fastest Brits of all time at the distance. Think its only their second crack at the distance. The old fellas on I was a runner won't be happy. ;-) 

had my second session on the back of yesterday's 10 tempo within the 18. 
    Session was 7 steady, 5 mile pick up then 5 x 1 min on/off. 
    7 came out at 6.10 ave, ran the 5 in 27.32 and the mins on were low 5 pace to start but the last 2 were about 5.35 pace as I was cooked. 14.1 miles at 5.54ave all in.

Few easy days now which is good as I've been struggling for about a month with aching hips. Didnt think I was going to get to get off the cul de sac when I set off. Only time I've had them before is over the last 6-7 miles of a marathon but I've googled some stretches so I might try them. Probably get bored after a day or two. 

• Not surprised your hips are protesting Matt - they're just saying "what the fuck are you doing to us man?" :wink:
    That's a cracking pair of halves in Barcelona!

Nic long run/parkrun combo Philip. Pre Wokey nerves SG!

Good brick Ric :smile:

Squeezed in an exremely muddy 6.5M just now, to make 42M for the week - shame it was a taper this week, as a 50M would have meant 6 months exactly of average 50M+. Even less next week....
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Usual mental session Matt! See lots of high mileage dropping in from most and like the idea of Bus and Phil fitting pr in the mix. Better start increasing my own distances as though I'm lazily swerving Wokey I've still got Fleet HM to worry about 4 weeks later. 

Went to club awards bash last night. They really went to town about winning TVXC. Had got hold of the shields for the night and got commemorative little 'winner's trophies for every runner (over 100) who ran even one of them even if they failed to score. Bit OTT and must have cost the club best part of a grand. Still guess us smaller clubs have to milk any victories as they are none too frequent. Picked up the Age Graded trophy but only 6th overall this year given the big improvement in quality in the club this last year. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Enjoy it Pete :) And well done.

I was interested in your classing Windle as a small club, especially in TVXC standards, so I did a little website hopping.

• 700-800
      Reading!
      Obviously the biggest by miles, city club.
      Datchet, Sandhurst and Bracknell
      The "big" small clubs- (Sandhurst quote around 300, Bracknell quote a precise 317, i'd imagine we're in and around it too
    • 200 Windle, Metros 
      (Metros quote 200+, and Windle "around 200")
    • 170 Handy Cross/Maidenhead.
      Handy Cross quote this on their site. Maybe slot Maidenhead in here too (no figure, maybe less on the senior side, depends if you factor the juniors in)
    • 160 TVT  
      Quoted online. Clearly they are triathletes, so fairly low turnout running wise, bar a couple of competitive years.
    • 150+ Marlow/ Wargrave?
      Quoted online for Marlow. Guesstimate for Wargrave, as can't find much info for them.
    • 120-150 Finch and Burnham
      Estimate, no website figures but definitely small clubs.
    • 70-80 Tadley and Sheen
      Confirmed on their sites

So from that little piece, it shouldn't be too much of a surprise Windle come quite high up, if we take the below context

• Reading prioritise another league
    • Bracknell perhaps don't have the turnout and quality you'd expect from their club size (317 surprised me!)
    • Metros prioritise other leagues, and I wonder if their number includes the junior section - maybe Ric can shed better light on that)

So a Windle, Datchet, Reading top 3 would make "Bookies" sense really. Reading by sheer size coming in the mix even when never getting close to their best lineup.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Matt, enjoy the "rest". As per Bus, your body is a beast taking so much mileage and sessions.A little bit of easier stuff will be a treat.

Bus, you and your pissing about offroad. Road running must feel like a synch!

• Matthew HeadMatthew Head ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    My penny's worth when it comes to ITB - I've heard generally no good comes from rolling, as aggressive rolling can aggravate as it's mainly tendon tissue. However, different things work for different people!

ML, some great sessions coming from you, both in pace and volume! Just wondering, does your coach coach a young chap called Jamie Barnett in Newton Abbott? He did your identical session today.

Hope the niggles ease Bus! Some good mileage coming through despite them though.

Good work on the parkrun Pete, and well done for getting last week's in too!

I like the sound of that lie in SG! How are you feeling in the run up to Woki?

The times coming out of Barcelona half are amazing. I saw Luke Traynor's on Strava - doesn't bare thinking about!!

So did the long run on Friday as planned - was tough to get it done motivation-wise, given that Friday is normally a rest day. 15.3mi with 1600ft climbing, which was 4 of the previous hill loops, at 7:59/mi for 77.6%HR. Currently struggling with the endurance side of things.
    Yesterday was 7.4mi at 7:35/mi for 74.8%HR, which felt good once the quad aches eased.
    Back at my parents today, and so my old 'usual' 7.5mi loop came in at 7:35/mi again (cosmic, eh) and 75.2%HR.

Puts me on 47.7 miles this week.

3 days through a 7-day stretch (bookended by long runs), due to not being able to get runs in towards the end of next week. Plan is another 7.5 tomorrow and Wednesday, medium-long of 10 on Tuesday and 15 long on Thursday. 70mi over 7 days, phew, that's gonna be interesting! Small change for Matt L though!!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Metros don't have any other leagues to prioritise SG, so on the basis of quality of turn out, they're just what their results indicate.

I also have the feeling that a large number of members are there simply to enhance their CV's. The running side of it just a social jaunt. 

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Solid week there Matt. I've just looked him up on strava and I think you're right. My coach has commented on a few of his runs. Looks like I had the easier weekend as he raced a half in 72 mins on sat then did the session. Haha. 
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Good training there Matt. 

Sometimes when the mileage per week starts getting piled up towards one end, I revert to using a sliding block of seven days to keep to a general average.

ML, sore hips. Need some care do those things. I'd do the stretches and get bored. Better than not and stop.

🙂

• I think the not rolling ITB stuff makes more sense to me than rolling it so I just don't do it.

I'd be surprised if Wargrave have more than 150 runners, it's always struck me as a pretty small club?

Well I tried a very gentle run on Saturday but pulled up after about 6 miles and walked the last two miles.
  • Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Morning all..enjoying the first day of half term that I've got off work, not going anywhere interesting though sadly. 

Great parkrun efforts from Bus, PeteM and PMJ, especially adding miles on top, always found it hard to run after a parkrun, always like to do a decent warm up before though. PMJ we noticed the BP folk parking on the A road to jog through the woods and not pay the parking!

Good hardcore training for the two Matts too..

So not a great Surrey League for me at Wimbledon Common.  Thought I'd go later and I got to Putney station at 2 and jog down in the rain to the XC site, just off the A3 by Robin Hood gate, with my very heavy bag, quads felt quite tired at that point! Also experimented with squash with sugar and salt as I'd run out of sports drink powder. So started off quite steady, its two loops in the woods and back to the finish. First muddy hill and the quads are on fire, footing all over the place too, not going great. Try and regain a bit of composure on the two long firmer wide paths before we go into the muddy 'butts' section, bit like the muddy ditch bit in the Parliament Hill southern/national course. Still feeling knackered we come out of the Butts and hit the long downhill to the end of the loop. Start lap 2 and feeling a little better but feel below par, and by the time we go through the Butts again Ben Reynolds is about 20m ahead so decide to try and hunt him down and just about get him as we come into the final field. So end up with 76th in a ridiculously stacked field as usual. 6/10 performance which would have put me in the 40's/50's in other seasons. 

Did a hilly 17 miler yesterday and actually felt ok..although ran back through town at 1.45 and stuck my head in the pub to see what the Hudd-Bmth score was. Wish I hadn't bothered and ran the last 2 miles in a strop ;) So a crap running/ football weekend...happens now and again, bit different to watching us rack up a 4-0 win against Hudd in a Derry hotel bar after winning a team Gold.....
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Ric; I bump into IronCat now and again; mostly at Bracknell pr where his wife is one of the core team. Injuries played havoc with his running but he still cycles a lot. Think he's into cyclo-cross too nowadays.

Very decent turnout Simon in a stacked field as you say; makes our little league look very modest!

SG: You can get numbers in each club from the RB website (assuming all registered); Out of interest I looked up as follows re TV league;

RRR 1008, BFR 500, DD 388, SJ 371, WV 288, BJ 283, MAC 276, HC 233, MS 139, Met 133, War 96, Fin 95, Tad 71, TVT 56, SS 55.

Expect TVT don't register a lot with RB and MAC distorted by juniors as you say, but gives a good idea. Still makes WV pretty small in comparison to the "Big 4" that have shared the honours in all other recent years.  

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Good race all the same Simon. 

Shame about Huddersfield stuffing Bournemouth though. I'm up that way in a few days, I'll ask all my relatives about it  :).

🙂

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    You can all have a peek at our latest excessive commemorative item; special batch ordered, presumably so all the 10mm folk who scored in zero races (many ran in zero races) can wear then with pride!Image may contain 4 people
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Blimey, you guys have certainly taken it seriously!
    I can't believe those member numbers on the last page. Surely Burnham don't have that many members, they seem a tiny club! Unless that has loads of juniors involved.

Still, you did well to beat us, Reading and Sandhurst. Bracknell i can't remember ever being too competitive for their numbers.

3x1m HMP session today off 90secs. The light pre Half session.

Very windy 150metres or so per lap. 
    That and being concerned at this very hard to explain rib ache made it tougher than it should have been.

Have been trying some stretching as well as some NSAIDs in case it's tight muscle, the stretch where you bend to one side and reach down with your arm being the main one. No idea if it'll help, but am a bit nervous about not only running a first half for years anyway, but having this! It is different to the boring on about what i had 2 years ago as that was right in the breathing mechanism, meaning i really had to work through quite uncomfortable feelings!

Oh well..5 days or so for it to disappear! At the end of the day it'll just be great to be doing the distance again, and amongst a lot of old pals and being part of the scene, so what happens, happens!