Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The TVT membership is about 150-200 I think. Obviously a lot of these only run to get to the end of a triathlon so wouldn't contemplate XC. I see IC now and again, as Pete says he's had a persistent injury but has been cycling. He's most likely to be heard commenting on little known triathlon rules or complaining about Brexit :D

Nice little limber up there SG. I have physio booked on Friday so doesn't look like I'll be running at Wokingham. I tried 3 miles this morning and it tightened up about a mile in. We'll see what she says, if I can run without causing damage, I'll happily jog round and give Bus another win ;-)

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Tough one there Reg.

We've all had niggles which appear to be just minor until one day it dawns that the damn problem is there permanently. 

How much time it takes to resolve injuries is anyone's guess, but it's handy to keep in mind that after a prolonged period out of the game, it's not a case of getting fit, it's a case of getting well enough to get fit. 

🙂

• SG, I can almost guarantee that is a psychosomatic nervous response to doing a half again - see what happens on race day.

Reg - that's a bastard. Hope the physio can sort it, but either way you'll still pull one back!.

I'm also having a weird one - pre race hypochondria or what, I don't know, but a very real manifestation of knee pain!  Cycling yesterday was painful again, but running this morning was fine, albeit with a couple of tweaks under a rotational load. However, every time I tried to get up after sitting down at work today, it was really stiff and quite painful and feels like it is about to give way. I had no choice but to run home tonight, and after a very easy warm up to start it was ok (again with just a  couple of painful tweaks).  Very odd, and not really sure what to do about it other than keep my fingers crossed! 
  • oh this Wokey 1/2 is starting to get to you Bus! Hold in there. Bugger about the knee Reg. 

Off this week, couldn't be arsed getting the bus to Luton so trained over the road on the tarmac track. Did the old 30x200 with 10 with 10 secs and all the rest with 20. All around 36's with a 29 for the last one, felt ok. 

Good blast and feel better after the average weekend XC. 
  • This list of ailments is not what we wanna see in the run up to the half!
    I hope all 3 of you find that your issues are superficial.
    Good mile reps though SG, looks like you're in good shape for the weekend!

Good work on the 200s SC, that's great volume at such speed. I know this session has been a topic of discussion for a long time, and I don't plan on opening a can of worms, but did you one day start with 30 reps, or build up to it?

So my plan of running Monday and yesterday went down the pan with moving - always so much more to do than you realise! Didn't sit down until 8pm Monday (which was furniture day) and then realised we had to assemble the bed! Yesterday was busy with sorting the old place out before giving the keys back.

So, gonna make this one a down week - I'm away and unable to run Friday and Saturday anyway, so gonna settle for 20-30mi for the week.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Let's hope so chaps! Fingers crossed for all. Coming back with a 1hr 29 half will not go down well :)

Freezing cold 6miler just then, almost took one almighty slip when i jumped over a bend round a turn, and right into a big ice patch. Phew! That could have been an ugly one.
    Always dangerous when you've not had any icy patches, 99% of the route isn't icy, and the very occasional one creeps in!

Rib a bit less of a feel, but will keep up the NSAIDs.

MH, don't reopen the 200s debate or Ric will combust :)
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

lots to read back on but I assume SC raced a XC as it has been about a week :)

MH - the 200s like simon does them are a decent session if you get the pace and recovery right.  For simon doing 30 reps at 36s off 60 or 90s rec is pointless.  So the pace is held at a relatively slow pace (for him) but the recoveries are minimal 10 or 20 secs.   I imagine 12*200 for simon are around the 28/29 s range off 60sec rec so get the pace right and recoveries suitable and the session is a good one....like Simon did.

I have a session coming up which is all done at 60 sec for the 400m and only 20 secs recovery  (200, 500, 100)  10mins break then 4*200 off a whopping 45s recovery. The first set with only 20 secs recovery is going to be ugly.  The 2nd set because my body will be hurting on the start will be painful. :)

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Bus, from the sound of things you have an injury exactly the same as the one I've been eradicating for the past six months. The symptoms appear to be the same.

I worked out it was a combination of a slightly strained outer knee ligament and lower hamstring getting mixed up with the ‎Iliotibial band where it passes the knee.
    That feeling that the knee might give way is familiar, along with 'sometimes it hurts, sometimes it doesn't'. The problems after sitting awhile I'm well used too also.

As for running the HM. I wouldn't. But that's me.

SG, no I'm not going to explode about running multiple 200's. Anyway Dean has illustrated that there are 200's sessions and 200's sessions.

Simon's session is text book aerobic threshold. Perfect speed and recovery for a 33:00 10k runner. The speed averages 4:50 miling for the best part of four miles and the 29 second example is proof that the session wasn't too fast for what it was aimed at.

An 800m session is much faster reps, less of them and a much longer recovery. 

For what it's worth, there was a 2:10 marathon runner whose only speed sessions were two like Simon's each week. No other combinations at all. 

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Everyone is dropping to bits! Hopefully its just pre race mind games and you all smash Sunday. 

SC, do you ever have a week without any sessions? Impressive that you can knock them out regularly and motivate yourself to do so. 

Thought I'd be a bit proactive and watched a video of a good looking lady doing hip stretches and things about piriformis wherever that is on Sunday afternoon. Went through the routine and then realised on Mondays run that my groin was a bit sore. Think I might have just tweaked it with one of the stretches so I won't be stretching again anytime soon.

Plan was to jog for 3 days anyway so ended up jogging 11 miles and when I set off on Tuesdays run I could still feel it. Got to 3-4 miles and had to stop and stretch it out. Bit of a dull ache but when I prod and poke the area there's nowhere that sort of stands out as being painful. 

Set off again and immediately felt a bit of a sharp twinge which instantly disappeared and I seemed to be ok after so ended up jogging another 11 miles. 
    Jogged another 10 this morning without any further problems and will do a bit more jogging later hopefully. I wouldn't like to try anything faster so will keep jogging until I break or it clears. 

Looking forward to seeing how the Armagh 4.9k goes this week too. 

• Decent explanation of the 200's there Matt, basically try to hit 36's if I'm doing 30 of them. The last 10 are supposed to be with 30 secs recovery but I kept it to 20's as I had a bit of extra recovery on some giving my kid a push on his bike :)

Hope the niggles are OK, just off to Luton on the bus to see what we have in store on the track tonight. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

How far is that trip then Simon? Travelling on a bus sounds a hassle, easier than driving?!

Matt, is that banter, calling it 4.9km, or is it actually a short course?!

Rib thing feels a bit different these last 2 days, so hopefully it won't affect Sunday.

Due to going to Wycombe away at Cheltenham Saturday, i'm going to do my 6miler with strides tomorrow as a single, then that gives a nice rest break until Sunday.

If I had no footy game Sat, and had the risk of just lounging around all day i'd have done it sat, but should be a bit of walking about. There's being rested, and there's turning up flat as you've dossed for too long :)

Will be a 44.5mile week before the race, with nothing longer than 6, and just the 3x1mile session, so hopefully a decent balance.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    A bit of both SG. Looking at last year  I noticed on strava that a lot had it down as 3 miles which is very strange for a 4 lap course. Then when you look at the top 100 and maybe 10 or so don't have runbritain accounts so don't have their pb next to their name. Over 80 ran a pb out of the rest. 

To be fair it seems a lot have it as 3.1 this year and 91 went sub 15 but I'd like to see how many got PBS now so many have it as 3.1.

my post on twitter didnt go down well today. Haha. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That has to be the worst thing in racing doesn't it, when you storm one, and there's doubts about the full distance.

I remember being gutted for Stevie See when he did a 16.59 I think, and then it was caught up in that whole tonne of NW race being short.

From fb, he's getting back into things, so I hope he finds himself back on here soon, much missed poster.,

Will see ALD soon at a couple of United games.

Always place a lot of value in the old guys being around. I think it's like that lyric, "the older you get , the more you need the people you knew when you were young " :)

• Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    SG- its about 40 mins from LB to Luton on the bus, had to bloody stand up half of the way too. Much colder than I expected too when I got off. Session was 6 x 1200 with 80 secs recovery, came out at 3.46,3.48,3.45,3.48,3.47,3.43. Wind wasn't too bad, slightly icy at the bottom. kept doing 72's for the first lap and then struggling a bit. It was better when I started with a 74/75 then pushed the last one. 

Had a quick scan at the Armagh results, only got masters categories for the 3k, first V45 was 9.26, not great for that level of event, would have been nice to race against Weightman and Judd in the women's race, in and around 9 mins. 
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2018/feb/15/an-updated-formula-for-marathon-running-success

Link above is to an interesting article on marathon running for those of a statistical bent amongst you. Confirms what I have long thought that the McMillan type predictors are way too optimistic for most (R in the HM conversion formula should be 1.15 not 1.06). Also confirms all my marathon preps were crap! Not enough miles, too fast training runs, not enough very long runs etc. All stands to reason but good to see the numbers and also confirms females just convert better for some reason (probably because they do the right training miles at the right speed better!) 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    They always say women have more ability to maintain pace as distance increases don't they, and the strength difference men have reduces the higher distance goes up?

Pete, the times MacMillan suggested for me off my 10mile and half times were pretty optimistic! I suppose it's easier to maintain a pace for longer than really go up a gear for shorter, hence kids starting wtih track stuff and working up the distances, not what most of us road runner types do. My first 3 races were half marathons!

Last pre Wokey run today, 6miler in the freezing cold.
    Chucked some strides in, was slightly concerned at the pace just about hitting HM for a couple, and wondering how that'd convert to trying to keep that going for 13.1miles Sunday :)

48 hours rest now, so will forget about it, enjoy footy tomorrow, and just enjoy it on the day, but not too much!
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Found that to be quite a bit out for me Pete. 
    Says I should've run 2.37 at York instead of 2.32. 
  • Must admit SG, surprised you are doing footy the day before your half. Just because you have been taking the build up very seriously. Suppose the away end is seated? Long time since I went to Cheltenham!

Good article Pete. I think I understood most of it!
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i think the difference between men and women regards marathon running is "ego".  They understand the pace they want to deliver and deliver it.  They train at that pace and don't get a case of the ego like most men do and say I feel great I will push on in the first half to bank some time. completely changing from their training plan and are surprised to see the paces fall at the end of the race.  Most women are more sensible than that.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Simon, only Cheltenham,  a 70mile trip. Wouldn't have dreamed of say a Manchester trip. Needless to say it isn't your style of watching with the booze either :)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ps yeah seating, though a very non league set up
  • Yes SG. Few pints and make sure you are stood up at all times :)
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Just a quick one to wish everyone good luck at Wokingham tomorrow. Get it bossed. 
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    I echo Matt; good luck all and look forward to the reports. Will try to get over on the bike to watch some of the action 

Woodley pr for me again today as my daughter just loves that course (mid 26 there today so still improving). Shaved a few more seconds off myself for an 18'20 but whilst very happy with that and the near 85% WAVA it delivers still feel a long way off the holy grail of a sub 18 parkrun ( saddo that I am for that to be a holy grail!).
  • As per Pete and Matt - good luck all for the race tomorrow, hope you all enjoy it! Looking forward to reading how you all get on. 

Nothing to report from me this week, turns out I had a major case of the CBA following moving and before going away. No running for 6 days, but enjoyed relaxing. Back to it with a tenner tomorrow just so it's not a zero mile week!
  • Go well tomorrow Wokey guys...especially SG! Don't set off too hard! At times it will get tough!  When it does...Think positive thoughts, banish negative ideas and visualize your success. Everyone else is hurting as much as you are, and probably more.  
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • That's a cracking time Pete - as shown by the WAVA!

Cheers chaps. Conditions look perfect for tomorrow even if the body is falling apart, so that's something :smile:

• PeteM said:
    Woodley pr for me again today as my daughter just loves that course (mid 26 there today so still improving). Shaved a few more seconds off myself for an 18'20 but whilst very happy with that and the near 85% WAVA it delivers still feel a long way off the holy grail of a sub 18 parkrun ( saddo that I am for that to be a holy grail!).
    It is an arbitrary figure that will get harder as the years pass by. If it is truly an aim then it is a good time of the year to lay down a plan for a fast 5k and follow it. Lots of short, fast stuff and a few longer tempos thrown in but overall volume down a lot,  a few rest days and make sure the quality is there. Say you did an 10 to 12 week plan then that would put a target parkrun at about the start of May which would also allow for a shot at the Berkshire AA County Championships on Sunday, May 13, 2018 but you may have to pick a shorter event for that.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Thanks Philip, think you hit the nail on the head that it's not enough of a goal; just one of many. Fleet Half on the agenda next month and want a decent race 10k again at Staines being two. Your suggestions certainly make sense if I ever do focus more narrowly. Good luck for today; great weather for it for once!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Just a quick read through.

I forgot to post my good luck message from yesterday for today's racers - so hope all went well.

🙂