Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie G - great report, really enjoyed it, after what sounds like has been a tough period running wise! I think I may well have been that chap ahead of you in the finishing straight (?), as I think you finished 1 second behind me (gun time). I usually post on the P&D thread and have written a report there if interested.

Great running by everyone else at Wokingham also. Sorry to hijack a different thread!
    Joe, how things have changed! Wokingham 2015 you beat me by 2 seconds and 1 place but we were both high 83s

8 Feb 1583:4712983:45128

this year you beat SG by 1 second and 1 place but low 77s.

By the way, if anyone on the thread wants  a good read, try Joe's marathon blog:

https://spragginsblog.wordpress.com/2017/11/22/valencia-marathon-19-11-2017/
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ah the classic Phil treatment of a new thread poster, hours of research into them and uncovering anything online about them :)

Sub 2hr 40 is pretty tasty, so I take it the training was at a high level late last year.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thanks Dachs - appreciate the sentiment. Cracking report by the way - I felt that fall for you! Laugh out loud moment of the thread so far this year is the description Steve Way as a "celebrity former fatso" :smile: Finland sounds fun.

Good report too Reg - I can really identify with the feeling of being cheesed off with people going by after mile 10! Incidentally, if you had done mile 12 at the same pace as mile 13 it'd be 3:1 now as you were catching back up :wink:

Welcome Joe - sounds a Dachsesque progression :smile:

• Oh. and impressed with both Philip and SG managing to actually run today! 
  • One for the local boys - Fabian Downs did 14:59 for 5k at Armagh yesterday. Only just good enough fo top 100!

• Short course though isn't it - ask ML84 :)

Great report Dachs, beat Steve Way at Brighton, so he must be coming into some form to beat you over the shorter distance. And beating Ben P too...one can only dream. I agree that Surrey league is stupidly high standard at the moment (as Joe Blogs will testify..), but the Met League is still stronger I think - but the gap is closing. The Brum and Manchester leagues are pretty good too.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    that took time to catch up...2 posts in and it was still only mile 1 in SG's report.  Though we do know the more relevant details of the race such as where he had a piss and what colour it was. :)  Congrats on your time and your race, obviously a milestone for you mentally. .  hopefully this is the breakthrough you need and can use as a platform. Maybe get another booked in in the next 6 weeks and go for it!  whats there to lose? I think its all lined up for a fast time for you.

Although i think Dachs steals the report of the day.  Great stuff. Comedy fall, getting of the deck to get into a sprint race with a commonwealth games hero plus a heavy week in the trotters.  top performance

Bus doing what only Bus does. the retch!  sounds horrible! particularly in the race, not so bad after. you did well to continue...nice work!

PMJ - i think you will be able to push out a 90min half deep into your 60's such is your ability to pace a race right.  Glad to see it quite rightly smashed.

Reg. - i too found out the hard way what its like to race sick/injured and its no fun.  you only do it once...though im not so sure for you ;)

Simon - casually smashing the wokingham times to bits on a low key roll out.  nice work.

pete - parkrun?  makes a change...what made you think of doing one of those? ;)

i have got the timetable through for european champs.  800 heat and semi on wednesday, 800 final on thursday 9pm, 1500 final friday midday.  starting to regret signing up for the 800 now as it could impact my stronger event.  of course no guarantees i will make the 800 final.  

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I remember why I like the high standard road races now, it's so much easier to ease off in a race you're all stretched out at and only helps the time.
    But in a high quality XC, where time doesn't matter anyway, i'd imagine it'd be easy to find it soul destroying.

TUE OFF today. 2 day rest week which is rare.
    But it has been easy to forget over the last 2 years that the aim is the races, not just piling miles up!
  • Phil - it's a small world, right. I remember it like yesterday, running with you that day. Thanks for the blog plug, and good to see you on Sunday!

Stevie G - that run in Valencia was a real surprise, it came off the back of my triathlon (ironman) training, I hadn't done lots of specific run stuff and I really didn't expect to run at that speed. Doubt it'll happen again!

I know Reg from another thread, and I see his banter is just as good on here..

Thanks for the welcome all. Legs felt surprisingly OK yesterday, just a short recovery run. 
  • Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Dean - That sounds quite a timetable - straight 1500m final then? Presume 'Fred' doing both 8 & 15?

Edit - Just had a look at the V45 entry lists. Had to laugh at the Turkish guy - seasons best in the 3000m of 8.30!! Good to see Mark Symes and Chris Westcott entered for the 800, as well as my Bedford team mate Pete Benedikter - although he's a 400/400h guy.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    oh oh, the elitist boys are in.
    As slow as 8.30 for 3k as a V45, embarrassing eh? ;)
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    welcome JB

simon - yep straight final of sorts for the 1500 but they will seed them.  So say 12 slowest people in race 4, next slowest in race 3...until the fastest 12 on paper race off in the last race.  think fred is 3k 1500 double so he gets 4 days rest as opposed to my 15 hours!! (assuming i make the final)

• PhilipMJonesPhilipMJones ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Stevie G said:

Ah the classic Phil treatment of a new thread poster, hours of research into them and uncovering anything online about them :)

Sub 2hr 40 is pretty tasty, so I take it the training was at a high level late last year.

Hours of research my foot! It took a few seconds to recognise Joe from his picture and would have been quicker if he had not changed his thread name from brixtonrunner
    DeanR7 said:

PMJ - i think you will be able to push out a 90min half deep into your 60's such is your ability to pace a race right.  Glad to see it quite rightly smashed.

I just had a look at that. My WAVA was 78.68% and if I plot that for a half marathon against age you see that at 40 years old, it gives 1:18:24 so just inside 6 minutes per mile and feeling smug. By the time you are 42.5 you slip out of the 7x.xx and into the 8x.xx range. By 50 you are now doing 1:25 and 1:30 at 56.5: almost a minute a year slower. At 68 it is a minute a year slower (1:39:32 to 1:40:32) and 77 2 minutes a year. At 90, 8 minutes a year and getting worse.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I swear you only started slowing a bit when you got into WAVA and what it says you're allowed to drop each year :)

On another note, what's this £1 "technology fee" the Marlow 5 lot are trying to charge?

£14 price, then click a button to get £2 affiliation discount, then a £1 "technology fee" comes up! 
    Tell me they're not charging for the privilege of us completing online :)

ps Dean, 6 weeks time is the Maidenhead 10miler, so that might be a good target, albeit a different distance. Haven't done one for 6 years (think i might have quoted 5 in my yabberings). 6 years!!
    Looks the perfect time to do it again, as a club champ event, and finally get under 60mins there! It should have been very doable back in 2012 but it came over ridiculously warm that day!
    Our guys won the team prize last year, which is a great win in a quality event, but quality at Maidenhead 10 often depends on how the date of Good Friday falls versus the London Marathon.
    3 of the 4 guys faster than me at the club are entered, so not necessarily even going to get in the 3 this year, when last year i think well over 1hr got you in there.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I was looking at the timetable for the World Masters in Malaga.  Looks like a straight final for the 5,000 and no track 10,000, which scuppers my 5K/10K ambitions.  There's a road 10K, but its 3 days before the 5000, and I wouldn't want to damage my 5000 hopes, as I would expect that to be my best chance of a decent placing.  Kind of toying with doing the 5000 then the half marathon a few days later.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    No heats Dachs? As surely a 5k is the easiest way in to the event, and with no qualification, does that not mean it'll be stacked with numbers?
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    That's my fear.  There's really a limit to the amount of people you want to have on the track during a 5k.
  • I get 81.9% WAVA on the WMA calculator for Wokingham, allegedly equivalent to  a 1:12:18 - which is nice!

It's not appearing on Po10 yet - still saying provisional. Shame, I want a screen grab of a half decent V45 ranking before the next half wipes it out :smile:
  • £1 technology fee for Marlow??? Right, might need to reconsider their road closure.....
  • 81.9% SAGA is pretty good Bus.

I did a 2 mile recovery run today which didn't feel good.

Had my second physio appointment and another on Friday so hopefully I am going to get this fixed. I have my recurring hamstring tear from Sunday which she thinks is compensating for the glute weakness and she's been digging her elbow in there to painful effect.

I'm considering a Reading/M'head 10 double. I've not done a 10 since 2000 so I have a rather soft PB of 63:xx. 

Time to put a training plan together. It turns out my Dad's 70th party is on the London Marathon weekend in Paris so given my fitness, I think I will defer until next year.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Agreed, 81.9% on the Women And Vet Adjustment scale is pretty good!

ps Bus - I just used sports systems to get into the Marlow 5 instead of the other link. Straight £12, for us super tightwads.

Only slight concern is that only 16 on the entry list on the sports systems one, versus 300+ on the other. Expect they just merge the links, and the 300+ off curse paying more for no reason!

Will monitor it just In case they ruck it up!

Hope it gets to the bottom (literally) of it Reg. I don't think Maidenhead 10 sells out these days, so no pressure on seeing how Reading comes out first I guess!

Like the soft pb! I can approach Maidenhead like I did Wokingham, absolute base line sub 6, and try and take as much off as poss each mile.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps Dachs, maybe they'll have a rethink when they get 175 people enter, and there's the prospect of the likes of me and a little Handy Cross gang straggling in the 17s and 18s, running in a 6 man throng across the track holding you whippets up ;)
  • That'd be a sight to see!

Thanks btw - I think :neutral:!

Can't miss that 70 Reg, so unless he's gonna go round London with you, then a wise choice! Good luck with the physio, and if you beat my best Maidenhead 10 time (whicc should be a given if you get some semblance of fitness back) we'll call it quits on the h to h :smile:
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    If they get too many numbers they will race seeded finals.  
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Belated congrats to Bus, Phil, SG and AG on your W'ham halves. All 4 excellent results in their own way. SG to confirm you are properly back; Phil that you are still a very decent runner that doesn't need to only focus on WAVA; Bus with all the niggles pre race and combating the retch feeling in your inimitable style; AG for being AG; great time ( especially 1st 10k) off bugger all training and feeling sick for weeks. Tried to come and cheer you all on but bike got a flat right near home on Ascot High St so didn't get far and a recalcitrant tube meant by the time I'd sorted it most of you would have been finished! Did 40k with no spare after that which was a bit worrying with no obvious way home if I had more probs. 

Started proper HM training now and going as bad as usual. 11.5 and 11 miles long runs done in the last 2 weeks and calves hate it. Starting to think me and long distance stuff are just not meant to be. 

Would also like to do M'head 10 SG as one of my favs; early Easter is rubbish for that though as only 12 days after Fleet HM. 

Like the Malaga plans Dachs, Simon and Dean. Reminds us who are the also rans of this thread. Simon, your rival Mark Symes will remember me I think form the early days of Frimley pr when it was the only one in our area. He was a mere mortal then; though still beat me and often 'won' even though he could 'only' do about 18 mins!
  • Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

The 1500 in Malaga is the same as Denmark, final the day after the semis, still not 100% sure I'm going. but probably will, main aim just to make the final. Pete - I will ask him next time I see him. Last time was at the South of Thames Senior before xmas. He's 50 soon, going really well.

Laughable conditions at the rugby club last night for training. Soggy ground, howling easterly wind. It was 8 x 800, so only about 100m of upslope each rep. Some cracking times..2.58/2.55/2.51/2.59 (fell over going round the cones :)/2.54/2.50/2.43/2.41. So a tough night! Least IK was only 10 seconds quicker than me over each rep..so gives an idea of the weather!

Resultsbase reckon based on my MK Half time that 20-29 year old me would have done 68.xx Yeaaaaaah right!

• A 20-29 year old me wouldn't have even been able to finish a half :-)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Starting at a later age, and getting very good certainly throws the stats a bit.
    However, maybe you could have got to that mix Simon.
  • Thought I would update you re my running...or not! Hope you are sitting comfortably...it is a longer read than an SG report! But not as graphic as ScottE’s!

Jan 12th, saw consultant re Achilles and he gave the go ahead to up the running, gradually. Complained to him about some back pain which I had been having for a few days and he said get back to him if it didn’t go away. Sufficiently uncomfortable to get stuck on his couch and he had to help me off! 

Fast forward to Jan 29 when I went to see the GP as I had the beginnings of yet another chest infection, plus the back pain had worsened. After some discussion she phoned the local A&E and told them she was sending me to see them as she was concerned about the fourth or fifth chest infection in three months and was something more sinister going on. She then phoned a taxi firm and told me to leave my car.

Six hours later and I had had a full battery of tests including bloods, x-rays, scans etc. Was called in to see a chest consultant who said that everything was fine with the chest, no infections and better than pretty well everybody he sees of my age and even ten years younger. I asked him about the back, knowing that the scan would cover both front and back: “I’m a chest guy so I haven’t looked at that!” I asked him if he kindly could have a glance.

Two minutes later the chest guy came back to say that “This changes everything! You have an acute fracture at T7!” No wonder I had been in pain!
    I asked what that meant and he said I would have to discuss it with my GP, which Idid the next day when she phoned me on her day off to ask how I had got on. She told me to come and see her on the 31
    st January. She suggested that I get back to my Achilles consultant and also to get an appointment with my cancer consultant to see if it was related to the prostate cancer that was treated 5 years ago or to some other cancer affecting the bones.

Saw both consultants in the first week of Feb. Achilles/back consultant looked at scans and the scan report and said it would be 10 to 12 weeks from the date of the break before the fracture was healed, although we can only surmise when the damage was caused, which I will do below! He was concerned that the report said that I was osteopenic, i.e. early stages of osteoporosis. Blood tests were taken and he phone 48 hours later with the results and his suggestion. Calcium levels were fine but vitamin D level was very low and he prescribed major doses of Vit D for 6 weeks (high strength not available on the NHS, which would have been free at my age!). To see physio in a couple of weeks (which I did and have commenced hydrotherapy).
    Saw oncologist who was not concerned and sent me back to the GP for her to organise bone density scans. Still waiting for that appointment.

So, how did the fracture happen? Can only speculate, but I have over the years had neck pain at various times, and when I get this I go to see an osteopath. I was getting neck pain in November and have been seeing the osteopath who has been working on my neck and back, and did so on January 3
    rd and 19th
    . Some of the work on the back has been quite severe, leaving me in pain whilst in the clinic, and afterwards: little surprise if he has been working on a back that is both osteopenic and fractured...or did he cause the fracture given that there have been no falls or accidents? Wonder what a solicitor might make of things!

So, no running to report and the only exercise has been gentle work on the exercise bike and the Achilles exercises. Now allowed gentle swimming.

Sorry to be so long-winded and please don’t offer sympathy! One of those frustrating things! Hope to be able to post some running by Easter! Won't really have run since last June with the Achilles injury. Any advice about what to do about the osteopath would be helpful!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Sounds a tough situation Alehouse.

I imagine the law would deem that it's up to you to be able to prove that it was the osteopath that caused the fracture. Bearing in mind that bones can get fractured just sneezing, I don't feel it's one you can successfully lay at his door.

All you can really do is to dispense with the guys services. 

While there's always the nagging doubt it was in fact the osteopath who caused the injury, one thing is certain, if the law gets involved there's going to be a bill to pay. And if the osteopath decides to unleash his own law dogs in defense of his reputation, who knows where that will lead?

I'd leave it.

🙂