Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Agree it's flawed for the reason you say Philip but is there anything better they could realistically do? I never understood the Ealing Mile rating; even when I got my best result on the vSSS it never went high in my list of performances. Any idea why not? 

I think overall with RB and Po10 we get an amazing wealth of stats and records compared to any other sport I have ever been involved with so wouldn't knock it too much. Also the top runners all tend to have reasonable ratings; not just pros but on a quick look the like  of Dean, Matt L, Dachs and Simon are all rated similarly highly. 

I think what boosts ratings a lot is running hard at parkruns and running often and in more low key races. Only your top 5 performances count,  but with the decay factor you need to replace those top 5 every few months to keep a low RB score. Just circumstantially this is what I tend to do so my RB at 2.2 is stupidly low compared to my real ability. I don't take it seriously though and know I'm nowhere near as good a runner as thousands with a higher handicap rating on RB. 

No proper running anyway for me at the moment as worried about calf/Achilles pain levels in training runs last week. Jogged a pr yesterday woth my daughter that's all and only did that as she wanted to. 
  • Options
    Hope that sorts itself out soon Pete. I'm similarly suffering with a flare up of the hip and back, not helped by a round trip to Bath yesterday.

Anyway, talking of dodgy stats, any idea why the British masters WAVA calculator gives me 82% and Po10 gives a measly 79%?  
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    The Bus said:

Anyway, talking of dodgy stats, any idea why the British masters WAVA calculator gives me 82% and Po10 gives a measly 79%?  
    It'a just the British masters massaging the egos of their runners. ;-) 

Pete, hopefully nothing serious and you can get back on it. I think you'd have still squeezed a PR in if your daughter didnt want to go. ;-) 

Another shit week for me. Physio seemed to do the trick so I said I'd pace a v55 running pal round the parkrun at 6.20s. They were the first sub 7 min miles for 2 weeks but I've not got forever to wait with London being 8 weeks away now so I picked it up with a 5.39 last mile as he had dropped off a bit so said I should leave him. Could then feel the slight dull ache in my groin, quad area later on. Nothing like previously but hard to ignore. 

Spoke to the boss who said I should scrap any plans of an easy long run this morning as he said running long and easy can be done but the true test is running at pace so I've got a session midweek which will be the shit or bust session in regards to running London. He mentioned Edinburgh as a back up marathon but I'm not sure I can get myself up for that. 

One option if I do Edinburgh is if I'm running pain free by then I could still use london as a fantastic long run with company as Edinburgh is still 5 weeks after. 
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    The freezing conditions we're currently immersed in doesn't help aches and pains either. Regardless of clothing levels, when it's like this, I seem to grind into a kind of slow motion.

Makes me wonder how I used to cruise along at seven minute mile pace, when all I see is splits in the 8's and 9's. Ok, a lot is off road, and there is the odd minor twinge to deal with. But nothing compared to what I've just read about.

So Bus, Pete and Matt, hope the injuries sort themselves soon. And Phil too if his feet are still a problem.

🙂

• Options
    PeteM said:
    Agree it's flawed for the reason you say Philip but is there anything better they could realistically do?
    Not really: if they want to do better they need to collect more data.

The Bus said:

Assume it is chip vs gun?
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Bus Said:

It's that British Masters uses the 2006/10 calculator - 81.49%, whereas PO10 uses the 2015 calculator -79.28%.

It's the reason my best Age Grade was once 86%, but after PO10 changed to the 2015 calculator, is now 84%. 

🙂

• Options
    Ah - makes sense, thanks. So us old blokes are getting better as a collective then! 

Fingers crossed Matt - on a bit of a knife edge then, so careful handling needed to make it go the right way...

Just over 12 miles for me today. Not exactly enjoyable stuff, despite it being a beautiful day for it. Nothing specific, but just felt like really hard work and very slow.

It's looking like quite a challenging week ahead weather wise!
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Yes challenging weather conditions alright Bus.

Last week was nearly 60 miles for me and the years average is 50 plus. It's all restricted though. 

Just have the feeling that if I pushed the pace until everything cooks; so hot that you feel nothing, that when I stop and cool down, I'll discover that damage I've caused will stop me completely.

I've had one or two runs/races that I knew that if I stopped running, I'd never get moving again. 

🙂

• Options

Yes will be an interesting week weather wise - already ran to work in the snow this morning, got a dusting but nothing at home thankfully.

So the national. As expected it was chilly, bit lovely out of the wind - and as it turned out not as muddy as everyone was going on about, must have been folk who haven't seen the course REALLY muddy. Ticked off another forumite in the flesh as had a quick chat with Scotty in the Saucony tent, mainly about the 15mm spike thing going on at the moment..thats another story.

So the start was stupidly busy as you would expect, must have been in the 500's at that point. Instead of the usual 2 x 6k course, with the nice dry woody extra 1k bit added to the usual 5k Southern champs loop, it was a short 2k loop followed by 2 x the Southern course loop..the major downside was having to go up the horrible muddy 2nd hill twice.

So started making my way through, felt generally quite strong, loads better than the last Surrey league. The mud in patches was as bad as it usually is, but there were some firm stretches, the long slog up the slope in the final field before you turn left into the woods was drier than normal too, which was a bonus.

Got past our friend Boucher and another mate from Kent AC who did a slightly quicker half time at Wokey last weekend than I did at MK and then at the start of the final lap I was closing up on Dach's and I's mutual friend, Ben P. Obviously thinking if I can finish ahead of him (AT LAST!!!!) I will be doing ok. So managed to get past with half a lap to go and tried to get past my team mate Jon too, but he went back ahead every time I went past him. So up into the trees and tried to put the pedal down to stay ahead of Ben P and catch as many others as I could but I think I went the wrong side of the finish straight and lost a couple of places.

Ended up exactly 300th, nicely the last runner in the front page of the printed results:) Quite pleased, although it pays not to look at the results as you see other folk's placings and scratch your head! I noticed a very good run from Stu Doyle, a team mate from Derry in the 180's..A superb run from our star man Lewis Lloyd to come 7th...shame the next HHH scorer was 222nd! although we ended up a decent 20th overall. No running yesterday and easy commute today..

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    nice work Simon at the nationals - Big Stu is a beast on XC.  he hasnt had the best of it for a while but when he gets it right he is flies around on XC.   Our star man was due to go and would have been around top 5, but he came down with a fever on thursday and couldnt shake it.  gutted to have missed it as he was flying.

regards run britiain - im not interested.  a quick look shows it has me down as 19th in the v45 ladder yet there isnt 1 event i wouldnt place higher than that in the uk rankings, and many considerably higher. of course it probably is skewed at the moment due to XC races so im sure will improve as the good stuff comes around in the summer. 
    But i will stick with the clock as the only true measure of how im doing against others.  Its simple to understand and doesnt require arbitrary formulas to calculate it.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Nice result there Simon. What's the 15mm spike issue about?

Back in the day when I had machines to hand, I made up some spikes in the 20-25mm bracket. I did consider re-engineering some conventional XC to put some spikes into the heels as well, but catching the inside of my calf muscle with the opposing foot made me think twice.

Apart from probably being illegal, slicing off my own leg mid race would take some explaining. 

Right then, that's the second session of the day done. 30 minutes on the indoor bike followed by a 10 miler around the woods. A nice run. The first in months in which my left leg hasn't let me know it exists every time my foot hits the ground.

🙂

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dean, it's less skewed by XC than it is by the fact you've barely raced recently.  Runbritain rewards those who race frequently.  Come the summer and more regular races and you'll fly up the rankings.

Simon, congrats on sneaking onto page 1! Glad you finally managed to sneak ahead of Ben - it's always good to keep rivalries interesting.  He will be gunning for you again next time out.  Decent team placing too.  In terms of muddiness, how did it compare to the Southerns in 2016 when you and I had a ding-dong?

Matt, sorry to hear of your struggles.  Fingers crossed that you hold up in the session and keep on track for London.

Ric, regardless of pace that's some pretty good mileage.

With essentially a week off the previous week, it was time to start marathon training in earnest this week.  My approach this year was to concentrate on Chichester 10K as a target and then build to the marathon from there.  With that week off, it does mean a much shorter specific training period than I have previously used, so we'll see how that works out.  That meant another of the BAC sessions on Wednesday (around 16 miles with 20 mins, 4, 4, 4, 4, 20).  Done on the track with the 20 mins coming out in mid 5:30s and the 4 mins around 5:18.

Then at the weekend, it was belatedly time for my first 20 miler.  Bit late in the day probably, and I was dreading it, as long runs have been a slog recently.  However, in the end it was a massive confidence booster.  Did 11m at normal long run pace, averaging around 6:50s, then attempted 6 at marathon pace, ending up averaging way faster than likely mara pace in 5:35 - in fact it turned out progressive, starting with a 5:44 and finishing with a 5:24 - then 3 more easy-ish miles.  In the end did the 20 in 2:08 for an average pace of 6:25.  Finished feeling reasonably good as well. 

• Options
    RicF said:
    Nice result there Simon. What's the 15mm spike issue about?

Back in the day when I had machines to hand, I made up some spikes in the 20-25mm bracket. I did consider re-engineering some conventional XC to put some spikes into the heels as well, but catching the inside of my calf muscle with the opposing foot made me think twice.

Apart from probably being illegal, slicing off my own leg mid race would take some explaining. 
    Anyone aware of the rules for XC spikes? I recall for track that you had a limit of 6 and most shoes had 7 holes so you had to put a blank into one but if I google it seems to be a very old rule: 

Number of Spikes. The sole and heel of the shoes shall be so constructed as to provide for the use of up to 11 spikes. Any number of spikes up to 11 may be used but the number of spike positions shall not exceed 11.
  • Options

Ric - slicing your own leg off :) Well it is related to spike length specifically. Scott said that someone from the Hampshire league had said that due to H&S concerns, they were not allowed to sell 15mm spikes to anyone other than Seniors at events..although in the shop they could sell to anyone.

Dachs - Had a drink with Ben after and to be fair he said he was having a few calf issues, which is fair enough, I believe him and I'm sure he would have had enough to sneak past me if he had been 100%. I think it was about the same as 2016, although we didn't really have a ding-dong..you just ran straight past! Awesome training run too btw.

Dean - Yes Stu did have a cracker, and Paul Green was only just in front of me, must have had an off day. Terry Scott didn't run as far as I could see. There was a guy from Rotherham in between those two so ended up 4th V45 in the end, happy with that.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dachs. When I'd established I could run a long way, my long runs became extended speed sessions. Seemed to make sense, going through the gears on and off for 2 hours plus.

Simon. H & S was it? what a surprise.
    When I did a brief bit of coaching, one youngster appeared on the track wearing spikes which had last seen a very muddy XC course. 12 or 15mm at least.
    I quickly sorted out the situation before the track manager caught up with him. I believe the track survived the onslaught.

Anyway, there's spikes and spikes. How about these beauts?

Dare anyone follow you too closely when you've these on. 
    There appears to be more than 11 spikes on each shoe. Illegal then. Hmm. I know, lets called them tangs. Sorted.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

I did enjoy the thought of Ric in his shed messing about creating some super home made pair of spikes so aggressive that he's suddenly 6ft 2 :)

Simon, it's an incredible field that you're coming home 300th in! Is there another race in the country that would see that happen? Surely not even the biggest like London, and then Reading and other "super" halfs etc

Old Trafford yesterday. Woke up, and ALD, my matchday comparion had fallen illa and had to pull out, giving me a stressy hour or so trying to get a last min sub in. Luckily by Birmingham, where I had a stop off, an ex work colleague based in Chester had stepped in. These days quite a rare up and back in one day job, but a 2.05pm is awkward for a stay over before or after, too much time to fill.

9 miler today, snowing for the last mile and a half, so got just a little chilly and disorientating. Will weigh up whether tomorrow is "session-able". Ideally I want to get something like 2x2mile Tempo in, off 90secs, and start a lead up into the 5 weeks away Maidenhead 10

• Options
    Good show at the Nationasl Simon :smile:

Strong miles there Mr F.  I've got some of those micro-spikes (or a cheap chinese improt versionanyway!)

Cracking 20 Dachs - definitely a confidence booster!

Cold on the bike this morning. Train was half hour late, which didn't help my toes much!!!

-4 deg tomorrow SG. Wouldn't want to be getting the breathing and heart rate up too much at that sort of temperature personally. Easy xc, wrapped up warm for me....

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Yeah i dare say one look outside tomorrow will make me settle for a couple of easy runs, presuming the pavements are sensible.

Might need to have another fairly low mileage and intensity this week, if it's as bad as they suggest.

It's ok though, Wokingham a big target done, and Maidenhead still 5 weeks away

• Options
    Great run Simon! Good to meet you..

SG and co good running at Wokey too.

Yes Simon is right, horrific accident which we were then given pictures of at Butser Hill . Spiked in the fleshy bit by the Achilles and ripped down - They don't want anyone other than seniors in 15s whether it becomes a formal rule we will see but we are not allowed to sell them at events. Parents generally buy these sorts of thing anyway for u18s or so, so they could give 15s over to their children if they come in the shop, no way to police it but we've been telling anyone who buys 15s to think about it and we've also not had them in the shop for ages anyway. To be fair, I don't agree that an 11 year old small girl needs 15mm spikes anyway, plus how good and light trail running shoes are now I'm suprised spikes are a thing

Mahamed won in 9mms Saturday ! 

Really did get my mojo back seeing that on  Saturday so have been doing the odd run and even elliptical inbetween work which has been full on, it's a struggle of course and actually suffered some acute pain Sunday in my arse which had made me a bit worried. Took one day off in February but have the weekend coming as holiday as it's Mia birthday! She will be 6! 

Not really much else going on, I'm always reading and keeping an eye on everyone :)

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Haha - Actually we do need someone keeping tabs on us!

Not chancing going to Luton tonight - think I will venture up to Primmy Hill lunchtime and take in the views during a hill session. Dusting of snow where we are, but sticky crunchy stuff, nice to run on. Entered the LFOTM on the 23rd March too, see if the Saucony A8's can make it round a 5k...only one way to find out...

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    enjoy the snow...10 * 400 for me today....but in the relative warmth of the indoor track at sport city.  nice to get a session in in a vest though it might be so chilly i will wear a short sleeve t-shirt for the warm up.  :) only 3 weeks now until the euros.

PMJ - interesting about the spike rule...i always assumed the rule was no more than 6 in a shoe and no longer than 5mm on the track.  i have had some XC spikes with only 4 spikes in....i thought more would be better on xc but even nike moved to 5 in a shoe for a while on their elite spikes.  probably with the european/US pan flat dust bowl xc courses in mind rather than our mud fest type.
  • Options
    23rd March is not the LFOTM.

No snow here thankfully. Yet. Cycle in was a little chilly though. I've had 3 physio sessions now and although she doesn't really know what the main issue is, we are picking off 1 weakness at a time. Quad stretches & adductor strengthening being the main ones. I am starting to feel less broken. Also the flu/cold business has receded to an occasional tickly throat and partially blocked up nose.

Time to start getting some miles in now.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Freezing cold this morning, so cold I hardly seemed to be moving.

Got to six miles; mostly off road on frozen grass and in the woods, looked at the average pace and decided enough was enough and progressively ramped the pace up.
     One mile later, the average pace was 22 seconds per mile faster!

Somewhat warmer by the finish.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reg, it's not, but it's when the race is happening for whatever  reason!

Feels like a bit of a con this sudden super cold weather, just when we thought we'd made it very close to March.

Could feel my hamstring a bit, but i'm sure it was just a block of ice, and warmed up. Was gently snowing here a second ago, but has eased, will obviously still be bloomin cold for the 4miler up soon.
  • Options

Any of you numpties own a calendar? Friday 30th March is good Friday :)

Managed to get back from the hill session before the whiteout snow shower hit..all sunny again now. Did 10 instead of the usual 8, mostly 69 secs..a couple of 70's and a 68 to finish. Fecking hard as ever.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Oh yes, because that stops racing doesn't it?! What day is the Maidenhead 10?!
  • Options
    SC, just because the supposed son of some people's imaginary friend was crucified, doesn't stop it being a Friday.
  • Options
    Yeah I know they could still run it, can see why they changed it though. Pretty sure I've raced on a good Friday before too, but folk do family stuff don't they. 

Many apologies for my abruptness. 

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Family folk do things on Saturdays and Sundays too. ;-) 
    Salford 10k is on Good Friday too. Tends to be a few races on bank holiday Monday too. 

Had quite a bit of snow where I live. Probably about 2 inch Monday night which then froze and its snowed again last night. 
  • Options
    I guess the big thing with LFOTM is that it involves a lot of people who live outside London but work in, so on a regular Friday they all commute in etc. The organiser lives out in Harrow. Other races such as Maidenhead 10 are all about running a regular weekend race on a Friday when people are at home on a Friday as it is a holiday.

I do a last Tuesday of the month race so it was yesterday. It will be Tuesday, Dec 25th this year. It was raced last year on Tuesday, Dec 26th. It crosses Hammersmith Bridge twice and I got pissed off today as the nearside footpath was closed. The official line was not to cross the traffic "you have to run to the bridge, down the walkway to the river, double back under the bridge, run up the other walkway and join the farside footpath, then repeat at the other end and twice more on the return leg" but I was surprised at how many just cut across the traffic. It wasn't at all unsafe, just odd as it was gaining a big advantage (my route came out as 3.37 miles and generally it is about 3.2) in a friendly race.

Bit of snow here. Yesterday I saw 2 motorbikes fall over in about 15 minutes. We had a heavy flurry and then cars compacted it and it was just a layer of pure ice on the roads which were sub-zero. To paraphrase Orwell: Four wheels goodtwo wheels bad.