Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    -6 at the Wycombe game last night. Dreadful game too. Marvellous.

Bit warmer for a cautious 6miler round Slough today. 7.09job but felt slower. Can feel some of those tight aches that you usually get in a "proper" snow week from all the trudging.

Roll on normal March weather soon!
  • PMJ - Yes that LFOTM explanation is probably right, as compared to the M10.

Anyway..bloody snow is annoying, hip flexors hurting after doing the commute run through it this morning. Quite a lot in London, at least a couple of inches - I got plastered by the same shower at home, only about an inch in LB though..

• Woke up at 6, looked out the window at heavy snow, decided two wheels was a bad idea, so went back to bed. Got back up at 7 to blue skies and no more snow forecast, but still a nice layer on untreated roads, so drove in for once. Just about to head out at lunchtime and then a huge snow shower hit! Pavements now treacherous...so, will sneak home early if I can and head out off-road before dark.

Yesterday's double was a bit chilly - wore more clothes than I've ever run in!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Slough had plenty of outbreaks of snow, but nothing slippy on the pavements. Hopefully not the calm before the dreaded icy lotto stage.

This week will definitely be a maintenance job. Tick over in the 50-60range. On 29 Mon - Wed

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Get some Yaktrax.  Pavements were slippy as sin here.  I had a nightmare running home last night, but put on the yaktrax this morning and could dance around the pavements with impunity. You make a bit of a racket, but it's better than falling on your arse.
  • Isn't the purpose of snow just to make things look pretty?

Lunchtime run next to the Thames upstream of Marlow.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    That reminds me. I'm supposed to be going to a funeral in Yorkshire tomorrow.
    Fingers crossed.

🙂

• Been a short while since my last post - but been keeping tabs on what's been going down.

Snow, eh! Who'd have thunk. What's more, we got 10cm down here in Cornwall this morning! Some melted in the strong sunlight, but the rest is gonna become an ugly icy mess by the morning - and apparently there's more to come!

Finished last week on just over 25mi, and not run since last Thursday. A combination of the cold temperatures, being stupid busy, and the onset of some kidney pain/ache on my right side. It's fine sitting still, but no fun when moving much - so the running has had to take a side seat for now.
    Not sure what's caused it, but it is improving.

Keep up the good work everyone, and stay safe on the snow/ice, we don't want any injuries!
  • Yes MH. They were joking that some 30 year olds hadn't seen snow like that in Falmouth before, snow in the Scilly Isles too. 

Pleased I managed to do the full 14 mile commute today, there must have been 4-5 inches on ground when I ran home in the latest heavy shower. I stuck a bit of the mid morning blizzard on Facebook 
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Quite a bit up my way. Sods law that I've had 2 jobs outside and up ladders in the last couple of days. Looks like the worst is still to come too so I'm glad I didn't enter Trafford 10k this weekend. 

I managed 1 whole minute of a session on the treadmill last night. Could feel it on the warm up but tried a minute anyway and then just jogged for a little while. 
    Thought I'd give the rower a go then but I was that pissed off I lasted 2 minutes before just going home. Haha. At least I can forget about London as its all I've thought about for the last couple of weeks. All being well ill still do it as a long run. If I'm back in decent nick I might try and break a silly world record in fancy dress. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Woke up to snow so made sure i got a 5 in round the park nearby.

Now best get to work! Expecting most not to have bothered but will look good to make the effort even if this bus will take a fair while.

Obviously taken gear in case a second run is doable
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good luck getting home SG - most buses won't be running later. This bus will though :-)

Not good Matt, but at least it takes the pressure off.

It is very unusual getting snow that far west Simon.

8M xc this morning, with snow goggles on to stop my eyeballs freezing. Much better than the last snow event as it is dry and powdery rather than wet and slushy! Very nice....

• ML - Don't envy you there up a ladder. It was soo cold running back from the station yesterday.

Bus - agreed. It's nice just brushing the snow off and not getting that wet too

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I don't envy anyone out working in this stuff. If you think it's bad going to work in it, try staying out in it for a few hours.

I used to work for the electricity board and two reasons I packed it in was 1. I didn't like getting electric shocks and 2. The weather conditions were doing me in.

Funny how going for a run in the same stuff is different. 

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Managed to get away from work at 3. Getting the 12miles home at 4.30! One of those could run the dist quicker jobs. Well not in the conditions obvo.

Little 3miler to at least get an 8mile day in.
    Sounds minimal to us keen types.
    Sounds insane to most

Good luck to the big half racers on sunday! That could be a write off.
    You wouldn't think a march race would be in doubt! We did very well for Wokingham to be so good conditions wise
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    It's surprising how often the first week of March gets severe weather.

5 in the fading light tonight. Opened my garage door to get some beer when I got back, to find everything within 3 feet of the door covered in an inch of snow blown in through the small gaps at the side!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

As in more than once?  I can't remember many incidences, although people are reminding me online!

I can only remember one mid Feb Wokingham being ropey strangely. I remember picking a pal up, skidding into another car side on side, luckily so lightly no mark on either, and that was before we'd even set off, let alone started trying to race!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Not comprehensive by any means, but a quick review of my training log shows:
    Snow first week of March in 2015 - not sure how much or how long, but shown for a couple of runs.
    2013, log records snow from 16th Feb right through to the first couple of days of March (this was what prompted me to buy shoes with metal dobs in!)
    Berkhamsted Half first week of March - finished race in heavy snow
    There are also plenty of years in between with just plain grim wet weather this time of year!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Forecast shows the freeze breaking in our area for Sunday, double figures in two weeks. However, it's still with us today.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It's still a massively rare thing for stuff to actually be this bad into March.
    A colleague left 10days ago, and her leaving do was going to be tonight, thta's obviously out of the question now! Hope she won't be forgotten, but every chance that'll go to pot now - time is of the essence with leavers!

Unlucky to any Big Halfers, they don't even know if it'll be on, or whether travale will be doable to get to central London for the 9am start (!), let alone any ideas of smashing themselves over 13.1miles!

Next Friday i'm due to drive up to Manc, and the week after is the relays, so this could have been worse timing! Fingers crossed it will nicely have bew-garded off by then!

F OFF seems right today. Will just shake the 37miles up to 50 or just over for the rest of this week, that'll do.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps we got a women's team in for the relays too, which is good news. They'd struggled, but our most "motivational" lady got on the case and now we have a team :)
    It's a long old day, so the more peeps there the better
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Road relays. Great when on form, a sort of purgatory when off.

🙂

• Managing to get the runs in: 5 days and 5 runs and 27 miles under the belt. Black Park parkrun has been cancelled tomorrow, Wycombe Rye is still hopeful. Very odd running on local back roads with an inch or so of compacted snow. I recall once doing a session in Cambridge in spikes around the streets.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ric am hoping to be better than last year as i was still pretty unsure on things.

2hour trip back from slough. Including ending up back at work an hour in due to a major road being blocked. It has a minor hill you dont give a second thought to normally but today...
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Good work to all who are getting out in this weather. Not sure what it's like near you but it's high winds and lots of snow here.  Crap!
    matt head hope that pain clears soon enough and you can get back on it.

trafford 10k has been postponed already due to weather. One of the countries fastest 10ks so running it in snow and high winds is defeating its purpose.

i have been lucky I don't have to run in the snow, just treadmill it at home to keep the mileage ticking over and then the sessions are done indoor at sport city.
    couldnt drive to Manchester yesterday such was the severity of snow, had to turn back after 5 miles.  Driving today saw loads of abandoned cars stuck in big drifts.

session today was an 800m session to see what's sort of shape I'm in. Was nervous about this as you only get 20 secs recovery on the first set. 200 (27.2) 500 (77.1) 100 (14.4) for a 1.58 800.  Then 10mins breather and 4*200 (26.9, 28.5, 28.4, 29.3) off 45 sec rec. for a 1.53 800m.  the slightly short recovery and with the first 800 in the trotters had me squealing by the end.    Apparently you add the 2 800s together and take the average. Which is 1.56!  Which I would take even if I'm not so sure :)
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Could be close Dean. However, the calculation is aimed at an optimum result.

The question the runner has for themselves is 'have they the confidence to believe it', when those who dreamt the calculation up, haven't factored in pre race nerves so bad that being physically sick before the race is part of the deal?

As for my somewhat slower pace. Another icy run in the bag this morning with 47 miles for the week so far.
    With the thaw under way, I imagine the world will look a bit more colourful tomorrow.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Dean - you say you've been lucky not to run in the snow. I'd have to disagree - really enjoyed my runs this week! Today's wasn't so pleasant though. Nice to be in shorts, but slush 'aint as nice as dry powder :smile:

Not quite sure why anyone travelled yesterday who really didn't have to!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dean - hamstring twitching just reading that. Roll on outdoor tracks being smashable again!

Bus - the day started off no worse than Thursday, but then obviously descended into chaos!

Nice mileages Phil and Ric, in and around what i'm doing, and I normally get a few more miles in than you chaps.

A 4 1/2 laps of the local park snoozefest today, for a 6miler. That's 43 for the week.

Will obviously get that to at least 50 tomorrow, but may go back to the roads.

Hope this is all gone by Tue so I can make the Dashers hill sesh, as otherwise, missing the week after for football,  I'd have missed 5 weeks in a row, which would be rubbish for keeping in with the gang!

The Big half is on tomorrow. That'll be cold. Would have preferred them to stick to the old Silverstone venue for old time sake, as it was my old spring choice of half marathon, but I dare say now they've made it this big event it'll be the permanent replacement.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Bus - shorts! already! behave! it's winter. Heat acclimatisation needs working on at this time of year. If you don't, what happens in summer, do you run stark bollock naked?  

SG, I'm also clocking 7 or 8 hours a week on the bike as recovery + weights.
    I suppose that counts as something, but I'm inclined to think not. I don't feel any fitter, and certainly don't weigh any less.

What's the big half? I understand that Bath and Berko are off.

edit: I see the Big half is the name of the event - race on.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I always wear shorts, I find it's the top half that might need more compensation. Although 2 layers was ok today. Thursday I chucked a hoodie on :)

It's basically the London Marathon in half marathon format. It used to be at Silverstone (confusing tonnes that didn't realise it wasn't in London), but I expect the issues with Silverstone being a venue for motor racing coming to an end probably contributed to this, so they've revamped it.

9am start, central London. Bit of an ask really unless you literally are in London.