Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Still trying to "encourage" the right people to get the last straggler of the TVXC series onto PO10. This one is Bracknell, that needs to go on, as that was the one I monstered :)
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I only wear leggings when it's well below freezing and deep snow - risks frostnip on the legs otherwise! Never really a problem for the legs to acclimatise - they seem perfectly happy in the same shorts from -2 to +35! 
    Cold enough this week for a proper hat and primaloft gloves as wella s a long sleeve thermal and wind-proof. I've also been taking a warm primaloft top in a bum bag, just in case of getting stuck miles from home, as teh Mrs would never come and rescue me in the snow!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

This weather will soon be gone, and then we'll be back to moaning about wind and humidity before we all know it :)

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I'm already moaning about having to do my long run in light rain, fog and slush tomorrow :smile:
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I'm relaxed about distance tomorrow. Half marathon in the bag, horrible conditions. Is struggling out a really long one going to be of much benefit.

The odd maintenance week every so often can't hurt. Just hope we're back to usual next week.

• Options
    Completely agree regarding shorts in this weather - I find the legs don't get cold, it's the core and hands. Saying that, it doesn't take much for me to overheat, so getting the balance right is a tricky game - sooner be too cold than too hot.

Broke the non-running trend with a 12 miler today, doing a tour of Tavistock. Tough going with the amount of slush, and my legs also knew they'd not done anything for a while.
    I've realised I need to get the motivation to train and race back, seem to have lost running mojo and found I'm not overly enjoying it. It could be down to a lack of a real target, or the fact I've just been doing aerobic stuff to get back into the mileage swing.

It'll be interesting to see how the Big Half comes off - a real shame it's not televised despite the quality of the field!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

Sounds a good length run there Matt. The magic will come back soon, whether it's a club session, race, or something obscure, you'll find it.

On another note, I noticed a V40 who beat me at the Murder Mile last year had an improbable looking sub 34 10k on his file. On a quick check it's 10KDH

Not seen that, but "down hill" apparently, and on checking the race this quote is on their site.

"The course drops 18.3m/km so over the 5m/km threshold for being eligible"

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    There may have been a time when I wore shorts regardless, but that must have been thirty years back.

It might be safety from my point of view. I do tend to stop frequently. Once or twice lately, I've wondered if getting moving again was about to become an issue.

And outside the snow has melted away as if it had never been there. 
    Commiserations to all race organisers who had allowed themselves to be terrorised by weather forecasters. 
    Question is, will they cancel their race cancellations?

🙂

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    More snow here overnight. Lovely stuff. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Down here it's pretty much gone.
    Still cold of course so felt a breath fest and didnt really need xc shoes on road but got an eleven in for a 54mile week.
    Hopefully back to full steam next week.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Most gone this morning, but not all. My road is still a nice mix of slush and ice, and driving around High Wycombe, there are still some dodgy pavements. I think most course would still have patches of packed snow.

I was hoping to do a long road run this morning to save running through slush and mud, but not sure that is wise....

Oh, and don't ever try and sell your car to We Buy any Car.com. Shysters!
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I'm another one that only ever runs in shorts. I went out in minus something but my compromise was I wore long socks as I do get itchy legs from the cold.

Still struggling with a niggles. Apparently I have a tendon rubbing around the hipbone area. Managed 30 miles this week though, can't say I actually enjoyed any of it though.

All the snow has gone apart from the foundations of my igloo in the garden.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Watching the world indoor athletics. 
    Crikey! that one's got so much tape on her legs I'm surprised she isn't sponsored by 3M.

Those niggles are real grind Reg. I should know, I've had enough of them. When your age I could run and race through the things but not now. Once I'd run and bounce through the pains. Now I get all of the pains transmitted in a dead manner. Off putting entirely.

Anyway, managed a 10 mile excursion off road through the woods. It's only taken since last July to get back to this level. 57 miles this week. 

🙂

• Options
    Glad to see the bloody snow has buggered off, Friday night's run back from the station in a blizzard was ridiculous, but quite funny in the end. Couldn't see where I was going half the time. 
    Great session Dean, I've sent that to my mate Chris in Holland to have a go at.

I'm knackered so quick report on this afternoon, 3000m at Lee Valley at the national inter area masters champs..running for Eastern vets. There were 4 of us in the race, one of them the guy who had done 1.58 for the 800. First ever indoors race so I thought I'd start on the usual 74/75's to get my bearings on 9.23 type pace. Could feel steps begins me right up to halfway and it felt fast too with the laps whipping past. Tried to just look at the time every 400m, but got confused and gave up trying to count. 

So so finally the steps behind (which were the 800m man incidentally) faded away a bit and the time was 7.50 with 2 laps to go, didn't check at the bell and came through on 9.06. So well happy with that as a kick off to the shorter season. 

Sounds corny but was thinking of the main man today doing the last few laps when I was suffering a bit, thinking about him, Chattaway and Brasher what they went through pushing the boundaries. Can I get anything else out? Can I go faster?

RIP Sir Roger. 
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    excellent time Simon.  Was the 800m guy Aaron B?  if so although he is superb over 800 but with the extra laps to a 3k i would fancy you to win that one.  How did you find running indoor? im very conscious of how many DQ's there have been in the world indoors this last few days. 
    I really have to get a 3000 in this summer as my PB is way out of kilter with my 1500.

Good to see the miles coming back to you Ric, keep the faith.

thought the BBC tribute to Sir Roger was good plus the insight which Coe and Cram added.  Both saying they shared training diaries with him and noticed they did the same quality effort over 2 days what he did over a week.  So what he achieved on less developed training was incredible.  Plus they said its true that all middle distance runners aspire to break 4min mile, its a coming of age to achieve it.  I guess if such legends as Coe and Cram are in awe of Sir Roger then he must have been some man

• Options

Hi Dean

Not got the results yet - but the 800m guy must be the one you are talking about. I think he did 9.20 odd so he's a good runner! Indoor was funny always correcting yourself to not go through the cones  on the inside. I really fancy doing the shorter races though, really lends itself to shorter distances I think.

I was at the Teddy Hall relays when RB was there, didn't speak to him. My best moment was talking to Chris Chataway in the changing rooms after a HHH V Thames H&H mob match, we had identical red bags and he was going through mine by mistake :) 'Oh terribly sorry old man..etc etc..' class as you'd expect.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Another weekend another race for Simon.  Impressive switch up from cross-country slogging to fast indoor stuff.  Must have been a relief to run in the warm.  Very handy time for your first indoor foray, and good to get the win.

Matt H, good to see you back at it.  Ric too, that's not bad mileage at all.

Dean, reading about your 200s made my lungs hurt.

Melting slush on Saturday morning meant postponing my 21-miler to Sunday.  Incorporated a session into it, with efforts at marathon pace of 23, 17, 11, 6 and 3 minutes for a total of an hour at MP.  Overall pace for the whole 21 miles was 6:15, which isn't too bad, so 21 miles up in 2:11.  That's all by-the-by though, as the main purpose of the run was to wind up SG.  Finishing the run brought me to a week's total of 99.8 miles, which I left it at just for SG and all the mileage OCD sufferers out there, and also I decided to wear arm warmers.

• Options
    Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Like it Dachs, like it. That run bodes well too. Took me 2.40 to do 23 on my longest pre Berlin run. 

Along the same lines, tried my Saucony racers on with no socks on. Very comfy. Might run with no socks on the LFOTM. Rad.  
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Cheers Dean, Dachs.

Simon, must be a pleasant surprise to guess-a-mate a pace and get it wrong - in a good way.

Out of curiosity I had a look back through my running diary of 2012 to see how I compared mileage wise today with what was probably my last decent years running.

The mileage seemed less until...I noted a 18 mile run in 1:54 and a 19 mile job in 2:01 including hills.
    I think today, if I had that capacity, I would use it for training purposes.

🙂

• Options
    I see there was some fun at the Cambridge Half Marathon. Seems some guy was injured so offered his place to a friend (http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=47610) who only went and came home first! I suppose if you are a 3:50 1,500m and 14:17 for 5k that is a risk you take.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

oops!

Any reason why you were feeling so vindictive Dachs? Not sure what upsets me more - the 99.8M or the arm warmers ;-)

Nice racing Simon! Cracking start to the season (if it is a new season starting!)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

If you won't be putting in the full mileage Dachs, you'll not maximise I'm afraid. You could be a 68min half man!

It's good to show the throngs of lurkers though that you do put in insane mileage, as I swear some just think you're a 20-30mile a week man who cruises.

The only thing sillier than arm warmers is Phil's older mate who insanely ran the Wycombe parkrun topless.

We all know I love a shirtless run when it's sunny, and Bus loves one when there's crowds of middle aged women about, but shirtless in the snow? Just plain deranged.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps Simon, see comment about every other race you've done the last year ;)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Simon, see comment about every other race you've done the last year ;)

• Options

I will SG, thanks! Yes Bus, feels like a new season, although still got bloody intercounties at the weekend LOL, going to be a quagmire isn't it.

Why didn't 'Jack' the guy who took the other bloke's number in the Cambridge half stop just before the finish? He could of just added on a few seconds. Bit weird.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    i know Jack, he is a top runner (rep England over xc).  Thought he did the right thing. His boss at work said he couldnt race so Jack took his number, he contacted the race organisers who didnt get back to him.  He ran and once crossed the line said to the race director he wasnt the "original name" on the number and rejected the prize.  Im betting majority of others would have kept quiet and pocketed the prize.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    It's pretty daft to come first under someone else's name.

Reminds me of when I did the Dragon ride which is a big sportive event in the Brecons and I took the number of a girl from the club. She got an email after saying she'd won a prize for the Queen of the Mountain (timed climb).

I would have thought that now Dachs was the number two at his club he'd be upping his mileage  ;)

I seem to have found a way to run without making my hip worse, it involves running a bit more off the toe and landing slightly wider. We did a drill once running either side the lane line and I am running a bit more like that. Actually almost enjoyed the run and 6:50 pace made a change from the 7:30 I've been trudging out lately. Bad news is I hurt my back a few hours later so I can't run at all at the moment.

I was trying to play tag with my daughter on the way to school and she was too quick for me.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I heard Corney doesn't skimp on his 100mile weeks, so that's food for thought for our Dachs.

I'm not convinced the 4 who beat me at our last XC from Datchet put in half my mileage, so doesn't apply to me luckily. Or is that luckily?

Simon, are you suggesting that Cambridge naughty boy should have stopped 2metres from the finish and either 1) just gone home, or 2) let 2nd place beat him? That'd be even sillier than what he did do.

Dean's right though, he did the right thing. If you ignore the fact he did the one thing they always say don't do - don't run as someone else ;)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    You're having a hard spell of it right now Reg. Reading half off the table, or will you still have a go of some description?

4mile morning jog, and then hills with the Datchet gang tonight. A few slight clunky feels in hamstring and bits, that i presume is down to the recent cold spell/snow running. Usually feel that through my body, and always glad it's done! Hopefully for 8-9 months now.
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Not been on for a while but looks like nothing's changed! Top quality racing Simon, mega fast track stuff from Dean, incredible mileage (and endurance speed) from Dachs, SG worrying about minor niggles ;)  etc. Good mileage Ric and Bus though too and feel for you Reg as I'm still struggling with injury too.

Been over 2 weeks now but can't get this calf strain to improve. Not done a proper run in all that time. Tried a couple of 20 min jogs but clear all isn't right. Had a couple of physio sessions so hopefully that will produce some benefit soon, but looking like I'll miss Fleet Half (or at best run it with next to no preparation). Had a chat with the Bracknell AC sprints coach when I took my daughter there on Sunday. He then did a quick video analysis on his phone of me running and said I over-stride and heavy heel strike and its those things that are causing all the calf strains. Do the experts on here think that sounds plausible?  Even if so, how practical is it to change your whole running style when you're an old git like me?  Reading on the net the consensus seemed to be that mid or forefoot running puts more strain on the calf not less (only better for the knees, with which I currently have no problem anyway!). So I'm confused now and there must be some amongst you (especially Ric and PMJ :) ) who understand these things better, so maybe you could share your wisdom guys please!.