Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    RICHARDSON Dean1973M45 GBR GREAT BRITAIN & N. IRELAND(MR) 4:06.51 
      European Champion

DOUBLE
    European Champion!!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    And in a record time too! whey hey!

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    As we all do in times of doubt, we think what would Simon do?  So I'm on the lash.  Walking around the stadium with tinnies cheering on the brits.

but f@ck me I'm knackered. The chap in the 1500 was like the terminator.  He wouldnt give up!

report to come once sober
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    I think it was you who wouldn't give up, looking at the results Dean! Would be disappointed if you weren't knackered! Brilliant! 

So less than a quarter of the way through the year and we may have already had the thread performance of the year! Going to take some beating anyway! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Great run Dean. The odd thing is how did the Spanish manage to get so many make weights into the final? When I saw the line up I assumed they were there to do a team job but they did nothing. When we can't do anything with a rugby or cricket ball it is good to know we still have champions somewhere.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice work Dean. Quite a few races back to back over a day or 2!
    Is there anyone slightly younger of a faster pace you're aware of, who will be in your age group next time and be a threat? If not, all going well you have years of smashing these vet prizes don't you?

ps Phil, i actually misread your last email, and was going to point out the below link,our England masters football team won the world cup! So off the radar i only knew as Wycombe's manager was in the team!

https://www.thepfa.com/news/2016/7/22/ex-players-turn-back-the-clock-as-england-win-seniors-world

As you were though, as you didn't mention football :)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Chapeau Dean - that's an absolutely cracking result and as Aley says, seems unlikely to be surpassed in 2018! Enjoy the celebrating :smile:
  • Remember folks that the world masters are later in the year, so he could do better than that! I'm honoured that Dean would choose to follow my type of celebration too ;) As for his racing, phenomenal. And the times superb too. 

So the LFOTM today.  Was windier than I thought when I got there which was a bit of a downer, but after a 15 minute warm up it seemed to drop a little. I had already jogged for 3 miles earlier in the day after dropping the kid off at school and getting to the station so didn't want to do much more. Also first race in the Saucony Type A's. They're really comfy it out an extra insole in and did away with socks. Bit of an experiment, also my knee isn't 100% yet. 

So so start off in a group of about 6, the course had altered slightly in the first K to go right past TVs bandstand, felt ok as we passed 1k in 3.07. So the places didn't change much as we went up to the Police station, down to the lake and along past the 2k in 6.20. By then it was me and what seemed like an unattached runner as I went past the Belgrave guy too. We went round the lake and past 3k in about 9.35, so still on for 16. Onto the boathouse and a bit of traffic p, but still feeling relatively ok I was onto Rotten Row and past 4K in 12.48 dead. The t shirt bloke has got 5-6 secs on me by then. So down Rotten Row, left takes you down and up to the main road where you turn right and a 100m run in to the finish. Sadly the Belgrave lad came past on the right turn and I came over the line in 15.59. (Officially now). 

Very happy with that, just hoping that the knee doesn't react too badly. 

• PhilipMJonesPhilipMJones ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Simon, good outing at the LFOTM. Looks like that will put you #1 in the rankings before the fast (short ;-) ) summer ones start. Seems to need the other end of 15 to top those.

Has anyone on the thread won a LFOTM? I recall DT2 coming second back in 2012 with 16:11 and Dachs second with 16:22 the year later. 

I had planned to race but have been trying to manage my gout so have had to take a bit of a rest to get it to a state where I can take drugs to stop it. Hope it will all be OK for Maidenhead Easter 10 in a week's time.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Yes, well done Simon. Another on the thread topping the podium so to speak.

When I read about your dodgy leg, I wondered how well you would do with two good ones. 

A few miles for me early on. Odd really, it's two steps forward, one back and then another at the moment. Nothing injured, but nothing flowing either. I need some real heat, not this dank single figure rubbish.

🙂

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Brilliant run there Simon and another stunning result Dean

Sadly more woe for me; tried my first proper pace parkrun in over a month today at the new venue of Hazelwood (home of London Irish rugby) in Sunbury. Thought a flat course all on grass would be the right re-intro but not to be. Scrambled round in 19'51 for 7th but my lower part of calf (near achilles) was getting a lot worse throughout, especially the last k and couldn't have gone on any longer. Very painful to walk now and hip feels out too. So I can run at 45 min 10k pace reasonably ok and had been doing all week but stepping it up to 20 min 5k pace sets it right back. Is that logical?; does that extra speed really put so much more strain on calf muscles? Don't know what to do next or where to seek treatment but looks like my entry to Maidenhead 10 on Friday was another wasted one! 
  • Amazing results there Dean, how does it feel to be a double Euro champ??

Great time at the LFOTM Simon! So are you turning pro with this afternoon availability? ;)

Pete, so sorry to hear about your calf! Did you use the same shoes for the parkrun as you've been using recently? All I can think is that you've passed a stress threshold of the muscle - operating under this threshold for your runs previously, but this effort was above and hence given.

Did an easy run in Southampton on Wednesday, incliincl a couple loops around the common. Just about under 8min/mi.
    Opted for a 5mi tempo today, as a way to marker progress. The rough plan was sub-85% out and sub-90% back - it's an uphill return. Started optimistically with 6:40 or so mile, but it was downhill from there - ended up with a 6:58/mi halfway split, and 7:24/mi second split.
    7:11/mi for the whole affair, at 87.6%HR - a bit disappointing, as I was hoping I might be able to sustain sub-7 effort. Maybe not the best route with over 300ft ascent - but I need to not make excuses and get my head down and train now!
    On the plus side, the foot is feeling good!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Never easy with a few hills to take off the pace Matt.

Shame Pete - you seem in a similar place to me at the moment. Still, I'm sure next week's 70+ miles and 29,000 of climbing will help (as it's only walking - weather permitting!).

I've spent most of today getting all my stuff ready - too many choices! Which gloves? How many pairs of socks?Will I need sunglasses? Where the bloody hell did I put that little thing that attaches my ice axe to the rucsac??

As such, no LSR this weekend but did an 11 on the road just now and an easy 7 tomorrow planned.

Cracking STLFOTM by the way Simon! Very nice time!
  • Tell ya what Bus, looking at the GAP paces on Strava it's not quite as sad ;)
    6:51, 7:09, 7:03, 7:11, 6:57... I'll take that!

You must have mentioned it previously, but what's your hiking plan? I'm intrigued! Scoping out the Bob Graham?
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Cracking runs Dean/Simon.

Sorry to hear about your continued woes Pete. What sort of treatment have you been having on it?

I've actually managed to put some consistency together. I've averaged 30 mpw the last month and 30 miles each week not 40 then 20 like I typically would. Feels like it's starting to have an effect too. If I can get up to 40 mpw consistently and hold that through the summer I'll be more than happy.

Maidenhead 10 on Friday should be a good test although I'll be happy to go under 60 minutes.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys; Matt H you may have a point; switched from road shoes to trail for the pr and maybe they just do not have enough support. Views? 

Reg; having regular physio including needling and deep tissue massage. Beginning to lose faith with his physio despite her working wonders in the past. Any ideas whether there could be a better treatment plan. BTW if you are fit you will easily do sub 60; only 3 mins better than  I would hope for if I was fit and you can give me that over 10k.

Bus, typically manic hols planned for a guy that isn't fully fit?. Be pleased yuo're not in as bad a state as me. Can barely walk at the mo; God knows how I did sub 20 this morning. Maybe need to retire and join the 'them that can't teach' club with more focus on training others. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I'd have no idea re treatment Pete but my only concern would be that the focus should be on the cause rather than first aiding the injury. Perhaps you are overloading the calf for a reason.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thanks AG; good point and may well be right but I'm not consciously doing anything different. Got to get over the effect  first then start worrying about the cause. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Yes Matt, though not really scoping as I've no intention of ever doing it for real! It looks challenging enough as a multi day walk, so just unreal as a sub 24 hour run! I'm hoping to bung a in a few extra peaks to try and do 50 if the weather is not too bad....
  • Cheers all, PMJ- hope the gout sorts itself out, my brother gets it from time to time, so I'm always on the look out for symptoms! Think I've won one LFOTM..when the leader went wrong on the course which was a bit funny...

i seem to to be top of the V45 rankings for 5k, but PO10 haven't stuck a listing up yet. Hurry up I want to take a photo :)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Missed the gout earlier Philip - very unpleasant. I blame all that brandy and cigars post collegiate dinners :wink:
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Unfortunate set back Pete.

As for the reasons behind it, I read stuff like this.

Response of Muscle and Tendon to Injury and Overuse

James A. Ashton-Miller, Ph.D

🙂

• Didn't think anything would top Dean's heroic achievements and well deserved double gold and record

Then SG joined Strava 

Life is complete 

Inspirational Dean!!!!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Don't usually report on Sunday runs but did a little bit different this morning, helping my mate in his marathon training. Needed the Adios on, decided needed lighter trainers on. It was a 2 mile ish warm up, then 4 x 2 mile MP efforts with one mile normal LSR pace, then a 1 mile jog back for me. 

The 2 mile efforts averaged 5.41's, felt ok aerobically, but left leg pretty bad at then, suppose comes close after a road 5k.

Wonder if ML84 will post about his LSR. Unreal. Read about it on Facebook. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Didn't think anything would top Dean's heroic achievements and well deserved double gold and record

Then SG joined Strava 

Life is complete 

I bet he becomes one of those pavement PB Strava w*nkers!

10 x 400m intervals for me today, paces not quick and it was on a muddy grass field but I enjoyed doing a bit of an interval session.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Adding 'pavement PB Strava' to your assessment there Reg, has saved all sorts of problems.

Impressive running all the same Simon. Clearly like Reg you can run well while carrying a raft of niggles and pains.

I tried a bit of speedwork myself this morning. Just a couple of miles worth of faster bits and pieces with the limit being how often I felt like I needed a rest - there was a lot of those.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

At least as well he added about "Becoming one" :)

So a strange weekend then. Out with a pal for a steak on Friday night, somewhere lah di dah, me paying!

When I'd recovered from that, and Wycombe's shocking game yesterday, I set off to do the Dashers club organised 20mile training run. Marshalled and water stops and all that, but not a race as such. Either way I quite fancied it to get the mileage up, and get a nice long one in, rather than have a lonely 13 or so. I also thought getting this 20 in would psychologically make racing a 10 on Friday easier too.

Ran with a guy doing London soon, and was happy to stick to his progression run plan, which was to start 7.30ish, gradually upping the pace over the next 15 or so, then have a big last 4 or 5. We had a third clubmate with us for the first 10k which helped things too.

Finished with a few 6.30s and then a 6.05 last mile. He'd shot off and did his last mile about 10secs quicker, but it wasn't the day for ruining yourself to match it!

2.22 for a quite pleasing looking finish time. Not a full on job, but obviously a 20miler is always going to be felt, when you never go over 15.

In all the excitement I got myself on Strava too.

See what all this nonsense is about eh?

Feel free to add me on chaps.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Sounds like marathon training, SG! And sounds like you could be suited to it!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Ditto that Aley!

SG - if you can go from 15 max to a 20M progression averaging 7:07 pace with enough energy left to become an SW, then why not just chuck in a sub 3 (more like sub 2:50!) marathon just to get that damn monkey off your back?!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Very good long run SG.

Once I could do a 20 miler - and run the next day - I reckoned I had a marathon in hand. Not that I ran those marathons, but the training level was very handy for shorter distances.

And those very long runs don't need to be ground out too often. Once every six weeks was good enough. The rest of the time, half the distance was ok. 

🙂