Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Slowly getting the recovery times from these 4milers down now as the cold subsides.

2 days ago a ludicrous 30hours for a 7.20 pace 4. 27-23, now a "mere" 17 hours :)

May well have got my first segment. Noticed one a road away from work was sat at a ludicrous 6.27 pace for 1/4mile,from a chap i know

Will see if the watch and strava recognised it when I get home (having not got the mad skillz to do it from the phone)
  • + 1 for Reg's recommendation for the Tongariro crossing, although when we did it, the weather was horrific and nearly froze to death. Amazing hike though.

I've been reading away in the background but not posting much; apologies. London looming but with a longest run of 14 miles it's not going to be anything more than go out and enjoy the day; Ironman UK in July has always been the main aim for me this year.

Stevie - I'm now following you on strava so I'm looking forward to some witty uploads..

Good racing from Reg and Phil @ Maidenhead. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Joe- witty has to wait. The damm segment apparently needed be on the other side of the road. Dohhh
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Matt, my trips to New Zealand are bi-annual visits to my wife's relatives in Warkworth. 
    Due to traffic I tend to stick to a couple of routes when I'm there.

One favourite is a largely unsealed cul de sac called The Hepburn Creek Road. For me it's main feature is a 600m final drag on the return leg which goes up 64m. I've gone under 4 minutes on that one - hard work.

Managed a five miler across a mix of surfaces but mainly soft stuff. Did the same route yesterday when I averaged 8:15 mile pace. Thought I might just go a bit faster today - over 20 seconds per mile faster as it turned out. 

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    6.5 and 4 today.
    I need to get my first segment, so I'll admit I tried to cover off 4 potentials on the 6.5. A foolish first half mile almost tuckered me out, forgetting I'm not 100%, but i'll learn!
    It ended with the stretch it reckons I was on the wrong side of the road for yesterday, so If i end up with none of the 4, i'll pack this in!

A gentle 4miler was interrupted doing a lap of a random park, trying to pick up a very pedestrian segment, but as I turned a bend, some workmen had fenced off what I suspect is the right route :)

This is becoming like the parkrun tourism 2month spell of 2 summers ago for hard luck stories

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Easy to cheat Strava. Get someone to ride alongside on a bike, then hand over the watch and get  them to cycle a segment which leads them back to where they can hand the watch back.

The subterfuge will appear believable so long as the 'cheat' doesn't pedal along at a pace not even Mo Farah could maintain.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Blimey SG, ou really have embraced Strava wankery ;-)

Managed a couple of short fell runs, one yesterday and one in the only dry hour of the day today. Unsurprisingly my legs are feeling very heavy, so I wont be running the Grisedale Grind fell race this evening, Last year the descent (500m in 1k!) Wrecked my quads! Instead I'm hoping the legs will recover for the Coledale Horseshoe race on Saturday. Forecast is good for tomorrow though, so no doubt will head off somewhere high.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Racked up my first....4 segments. Nice.

Just need to remember the training is for races..not for this nonsense :)
  • Stevie G said:
    6.5 and 4 today.
    I need to get my first segment, so I'll admit I tried to cover off 4 potentials on the 6.5. A foolish first half mile almost tuckered me out, forgetting I'm not 100%, but i'll learn!
    It ended with the stretch it reckons I was on the wrong side of the road for yesterday, so If i end up with none of the 4, i'll pack this in!

A gentle 4miler was interrupted doing a lap of a random park, trying to pick up a very pedestrian segment, but as I turned a bend, some workmen had fenced off what I suspect is the right route :)

This is becoming like the parkrun tourism 2month spell of 2 summers ago for hard luck stories

You are not a proper Strava user unless you flag other runs:

You are second on a segment and the leader is 

https://www.strava.com/activities/85006116/overview

5.64mi 1:11:26 12:39/mi

and the segment is 5:00/mi
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ive been flagging all sorts already. Of segments i haven't even had a go at yet :)

That girl will be getting a good flagging
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    That's some serious Strava Wanker action :D

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    This is just what I needed... another level of extreme obsession :)
  • Probably worth a screenshot while I am ahead

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Lol! SG, why no PBs loaded up yet?

Woke up to a cloudless sky and snow on the fells today, so just had to go for a quick earlyish run up Barrow. Fantastic views, somewaht tempered by the fact that my phone battery died after just one shot and I missed an absolutely stunning photo opportunity of snow clad Skiddaw and Blencathra rising like a giant christmas cake from the greenvalleys below! Very testing coming off Barrow as the path was verglas andI ended up having to run through calf deep snow covered heather in places!

Second run of the day was a bit too close to the first. The original plan was to run some of the Buttermere fells, but when we got there we couldn't find anywhere to park, so went toCrummock Water instead. I ran back to Braithwaite over Whiteside, Hopegill Head and Grisedale Pike. Bit of a mini epic with extreme care needed on one snow packed ridge, but fantastic views on route.

I've been coughing now for 4 weeks. It was just at night (messing up sleep!) But is now pretty much constant. No other symptoms. Anyone else got this?
  • Thanks all for the NZ suggestions - I'm hoping to do some mountain runs/treks, as long as there's no snow!

SG, gotta embrace the flag! I've had a couple CRs stolen by cyclists, flag them straight away ;)

Good work on the double running, must be tough with the amount of ascent - kudos to you!

Shortish session today, 12 x 1min (1min) - not gonna lie, optimistically was aiming for 20 reps, but the pace was too fast to do more. Got to 10 and was feeling it, peeled another two out, probably could have gotten to 15, but thought that I was well enough cooked to suffer through the last.
    Average pace just about sub-6, but I had some residual DOMs in the quads from yesterday's run which included bounding down some steep downhills!

• Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Good session MH. Easy to go off too fast on shorter reps! Bus- Nice pics of the Lake District on Facebook too. SG - thanks for the latest SW update ;)

Down the track tonight 6 x 1k, with with 400 jog recovery, times 3.03, 3.02, 3.03, 3.01, 3.01, 2.57. Decent recovery so needed to be sharp. Great night for running. 
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Not sure what it is you really want to know Bus. Have you been to a doctor?

🙂

• Bus. Wouldn't worry yet. Quite a few folk I know have that annoying cough for a while 
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Yes, but when do you worry?

🙂

• No running for a few days. Got in a good batch over Easter (Maidenhead Good Friday 10 race, parkrun Saturday plus padding for 7, 14 with a muddy start, dry central portion down the Phoenix Trail and then very wet underfoot back across Thame Park on Sunday ) and then a couple of recovery runs Tuesday and Wednesday but Thursday both the gout and plantar fasciitis flared up so I am hobbling at the moment. Shame as I was due to do my 200th parkrun this morning. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Still coughing, but not as bas. If not gone by Monday I'll get to a GP. There is a lot of it about, but best to get it checked.

Doesn't sound good Philip - hope both clear up soon.

Coledale Horseshoe fell race today (followed by a 300 mile drive home!). Interesting one really, as I wasn't intending to race it hard, given the state of my legs, and started a bit further back than normal. The weather was OK to start - no wind, mild and clear tops, but the drizzle started about 20 mins in and got heavier. This meant I was steadily overtaking people on the climb, but then lost a minute or so towards the top of Grisedale Pike, as I could feel a blister coming on and wanted to sort my sock out before the first of the hard descents. I always lose a lot of time on these as I'm a crap descender, and the rain today meant they were particularly greasy with some big drops to focus the mind. 

I held my own over the next top, whihc involved a pretty long scamble before losing a fair bit on the next technical descent. I was getting into the descending a bit more off Sail Pass, when I noticed a runner lying just off the path , helped by a walker, shouting in pain. A couple of us stopped to help, checked him over and got him to put his kit on. It looked like a badly twisted ankle and the walker said he would help him, as we were wet and not dressed for hanging about.  Like the consummate professional I had stopped my watch during this :smile:

So, having lost a fair few minutes and a lot of places, I carried on down the long descent, then managed to take the wrong line round Stile End - which I'd reccied perfectly twice this week!!! This also cost me perhaps a minute, but wasn't really important now! Coming off Barrow, most people were taking a line that contours round the side of the second half, so avoid a short re-ascent. I took the ridge line, as A) when I looked at the alternative earlier in the week it was slippery as anything, and B) the ridge is far more fun!!

Not sure what my official time will be, but my own time was 1:38, which is way down on my best on the route of 1:26, but not surprising really.

Image may contain 1 person standing mountain sky outdoor and nature
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Nice report Bus, fair play for stopping, looks lovely. We're in the Brecons cycling next week with the Monday planned for a run up Pen Y Pas.

Rapid reps there SC.

Like Phil, I planned to do Parkrun this morning, my first two triathlons are sprints with a 5k run so I want to sharpen up for them.

Felt like shit this morning though despite only having three G&Ts last night. So Parkrun never happened but I did just do a 5k tempo run in 17:45. Pretty pleased with that as a solo evening effort and hopefully means I am not too far away from 16:xx form.
  • Ditto Reg had a few last night meeting old work mates, 5 pints and the bloody trains were screwed up on the way home. Decent tempo there too.

So the training group decided to mob visit Bedford parkrun. IK was there too, so we sped off at the start as expected. Didn't feel amazing from the start and there was loads of weaving, quite busy as Gt Denham was flooded.  Was '2nd finisher' with 16.33, IK did 15.21.

Great picture Bus, event looks great, good run too. 16.00 from a V55 tonight at the Poduim 5k! Friend of a friend did it, new downhill course apparently. The same vet did 16.52 last month at the same event. Saying that he was doing 15.30 2 years ago. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cheers chaps. Nice parkrunning Simon! Pen Y Fan Reg? Enjoy the cycling!

122nd yesterday. My moving time was exactly the same as last time (1:33:55) and would have put me in 93rd, so not a major disaster.

As for my walk, rather than a report, here's a video - taken whilst sunny, so I'll pop in a shot of me having survived a white out and windchill of -20C after the last hill, and one of Helvellyn on day two just for good measure to even things up :

https://www.facebook.com/david.roberts.31945243/videos/vb.1288382703/10215361484932195/?type=2&theater&notif_t=video_processed&notif_id=1523186311351165

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Nice trip Bus. Watch the cough! And well done for not abandoning that hapless injurino.

I thought the protocol was just to shout "you ok?" with a thumbs up, and run off :)

Reg that's a surprisingly fast solo 5k there!

Simon, is the Podium not a 1k loop? Can it be downhill?  Good reps yourself.

Had a few runs after some segments on strava. Will try and calm that down - it was the novelty stage! It certainly could ruin training trying to cain these too often. Especially as a lot of areas are locked at fast reps that would need serious attempts at.

Saw I'd lost a couple to a borderline dodgy run some geezer had marked as a "Jog". 

Not having that, so asked the question of the "flag" people, expecting it to be a review. No, it comes off, and puts the emphasis back on the other person to re-claim. Whoops. Will back away from this game for a little.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Oh, 14miles today. 7.10 average

Easy disciplined affair, though I did chuck in climbing up the bank near the Mausoleum in West Wycombe.

Oh my word that's steep, almost ruined myself even in the 8-11min miling range for 0.2miles. Had to recover for 20-30secs at the top, before getting back to business.

• Reg, cracking 5k TT there! Look forward to see how you do in a race environment.

Bus, that's crazy! I would have looked out the window and decide nah!

SG, it's a sickness ;) happened to us all at the start! Make sure you never lose them though :D

Easy run yesterday, 7.5mi at 7:51/mi for 75.7% HR - throat felt a bit raw so not sure if I was feeling tip top.
    Long run today, 3 laps of the local reservoir at 3.8mi per lap. Started off an easy effort, first lap through at 7:44 pace, carried this through to the second with 7:38 pace - HR at 75.7% for the two. Pushed up to a steady effort on the final lap, HR 84.8% (just about stayed steady) for 7:05 pace.
    Pretty happy with this, given 7.5 miles in the legs beforehand - a good strong run and felt good in the final lap.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Good going there Bus. And for stopping to assist the fallen runner. Does this happen often at fell races?
    Really you shouldn't lose time for doing this. The organisers can easily factor in the delay, I mean, what are Garmins for? we all use them.

Good effort there Reg. It'll be a useful split in tri wouldn't it?

SG, I know the 'I'm going to have to stop for a rest' situation myself. I probably don't have to stop so often but there's occasions I'm pushing the pace a little too much to do me any good.
    Not sure if Strava reveals all the hold ups. I can lose 15 minutes easy.

And finally Phil. Damn feet! when those play up we're stuffed as runners. It's one aspect that is difficult to work around.

Last year I stood on a stone and set something off. It's been a case of working around the problem to do anything. Nearly there.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I think most runners would stop to help in a fell race, as there's a recognition that we are all in it together and reliant on each other. The consequences of not helping could be serious. For example, with this guy, the nearest marshals were a good half hour's walk away and he was then a couple of hours from further help. Without being kept dry and warm in the meantime he would have been hypothermic and quite possibly could have died. This is why you have to take full waterproof body cover (and I always take an additional warm layer if the weather is anything other than warm). I'm sure the RO would adjust my time if I asked, but not really worth it so far down the field anyway.  In this case, the walker and a couple of further runners looked after him and he was eventually walked off the hill by the Marshals off Sail once they had checked through all the runners.

Feeling crap today, not helped by returning to work! I think the cough may have turned into a chest infection. Seeing the GP in the morning.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Blooming heck, when you word it that way!!

Hope you get over this soon, as there's got to be some sort of thread opportunity or 3 over the summer.

6&4 today, 12 stage relays on Saturday. Not especially looking forward to it, as it all feels a hassle to get a team together this year, and it's a tough course on the long leg!
    Also, having raced nothing post Wokingham, with the 12 stage southerns cancelled, and the Maidenhead 10 pulls outs, which would have probably been good confidence boosts.

After this though, it's all either flat, or shorter for a few months, which is more fun, and you can do more of them!