Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Another Ollie Garrod stat. He is 2nd male (3rd overall) on the list of most parkrun first place finishes. And as CD says, a bloody nice bloke.

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/results/mostfirstfinishes/
    And another, if you look him up on po10 (http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=56509) you see he went to Exeter Uni the same years as my eldest did and so they were in the uni athletics club for 3 years so we cheered him on (as well as her ;-) ) at various BUCS championships etc and every so often a young, fast, ginger-haired guy comes up to me and says "aren't you Becca's Dad?" 

I'll third the "bloody nice bloke". 

He did VMLM yesterday, 01:13:42, 02:36:33. Poser, posting a negative split while coasting. 
  • On Saturday he came to our parkrun and missed his PB by 4 seconds, and yesterday got himself and his 'Ollie' vest on the telly at the finish.  I'm going off him a bit.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    1'13'xx to 2'36'xx doesn't look like a negative split to me Philip!

More injury hassles for me. Hip trouble which has been an irritant for weeks is much more now after I aggravated it playing tennis yesterday. I can barely walk today and it is very painful, so looks like Fleet will be off the agenda. Physio booked, so hopefully know more later. 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    I was just going to point out PMJ's maths as well!

LFoM anyone? 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Sorry Bus, was too busy out drinking and watching! Actually had a decent chat with Al outside the Red Lion yesterday, he had a really good run. I’ll have to remember the place I found at 22 odd miles just after London Bridge, great view.

PeteM- bad news about the injury, hope you can get to the bottom of it. 
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Just bag from from London myself in what was a great weekend all in all. 
    I made the decision weeks ago that I was just going to run half and ideally I wanted to try and stay with a group running sub 2.30 if my legs would allow. 
    Met a mate down there who due to his lack of (zero) training he was just running to halfway before meeting up with his family to do so e more sightseeing. 

We also bumped into another lad we knew who was going for a pb and he was unbelievably nervous which couldn't have been further from what me and my mate was like. Made for a great build up to the start as there was absolutely zero nerves which is the complete opposite to what I'm usually like. 

Made sure I got right on the front row of the champs start so I'm going to see if I got on the tv. First mile in 5.30 and I'm absolutely pouring in sweat and in amongst some very good runners. Eased off slightly but not enough probably and through 5k in 17 and 10k in 35 but I was cooking in the heat. Ran quite a bit with Matt Rees who is like a celebrity on the course. Go on Matt! every bloody 30 seconds or more. I knew at mile 7/8 that I weren't getting to halfway in sub 1.15 and at mile 9 a Marshall asked if I was ok, haha. Got to 10 miles in 57 something at 5.44 ave and then stood at the side of the road for a few mins until my mate came past so tagged along with him until halfway. 

My calves were screaming at me when I set back off and I thought I was in for the embarrassment of cramping up 11 miles into a marathon with my 2 numbers front and back. :-D thankfully they eased and I ended up feeling a lot better by 12 miles and high fiving the crowd and having a laugh with my mate. So Kipchoge and Mo pass on the way back to collect my bag which was a bonus.

Bit of a mission getting back to collect the bloody bag too when you've no idea where your going. Ended up on the tube and got some funny looks. 
    When I was stood in the pen waiting for my bag I spotted John Gilbert who'd just run 2.20 off the champs start and come second in the mass race slowly walking up through the baggage area with his medal and bag. Face looked burnt and he looked knackered. 
    Nobody outside of running would've had a clue who he was which bugs me a bit as the bbc are too busy interviewing rhinos and dinosaurs on the course and asking them about their training. (Did you do some runs dressed as a rhino?) 
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Had a couple of pints outside the red lion which was mega busy then headed to a few more pubs. Quads are sore today but managed 8 mile down to tower bridge and over that and back to my digs. 
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Sorry to hear about the set back Pete.
    I was thinking that after your last parkrun, you were well on the way to top form.
    Niggles!  they never end do they?

Burnt face ML!

I wonder how many of the runners have ever bothered to discover the benefits of sun block?

As a runner, it's not just about avoiding sun burn. 

The body doesn't like getting it's skin burnt. If you don't have any block on, your poor old bod tries to limit the damage by flooding the skin with water. 

That's a double whammy as you are already sweating in an effort to cool down. So you cook, and your running muscles are given second place in the order of things.

By sticking on a mass of f50, I feel like I'm running cool.

I've done this for years. It works.

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I put some factor 50 on myself. 

He may just have had a red face after running 2.20 in 25 degree heat. Ha
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you enjoyed it more than mst then Matt! Love the casual 57 minute 10 mile too!

I know what you mean about the commentary. I was looking forward to watching some vaguely familiar faces pass through the finish around 2:25 on, but BCC are far too busy interviewing all the chariddy cases!

I'll use suntan lotion on my arms and shoulders, but can't stand putting it on my face when running as it always ends up getting in my eyes and making my contact lens sting like buggery!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    My initial grinding offering about sun block had a segment about avoiding the eyes.

Discovered that during one 10k when I spent half the race navigating by sound. The stuff does sting a bit. 

I only had that issue because I put the block all over my face including the eyelids. Putting it on my forehead and in my hair doesn't have the same result.

Best place is on the legs. Acts as a permanent moisteriser. I should add that old skin is dry skin and not too supple. If running in the rain sometimes seems easier, that's the reason.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Always watch the marathon, and think, "oh that might be worth doing one day", then you see the state of people after, the injuries that seem to affect most after, and the need to completely focus a minimum of 1/4 year towards one race, and it starts losing interest personally.

Then you hear a guy who eased a sub 3 recently, died on the day, and you read through some people's miserable slog accounts and think, hmm this doesn't seem too sensible a move really, especially when you have recent evidence that you're not an especially good heat runner when the distance gets over 5k!

On that note... 12x400 the other day, at 3k pace off 60secs, and 16x200 at 1500 off 60secs today.

1.15 average, and 3x33,  13x34 today.

Club were doing a 5k timetrial, but not especially a fan of that, it's either a proper race or not for me!

Looking forward to ideally doing a stack of 5ks this summer...

Club summer series (choice of 7)
    Portsmouth Prom 5ks (choice of 5)
    Gosport 5k (choice of 5)
    Battersea Park (choice of about 7)
    Hyde Park - every month
    Potentially getting back to Dulwich parkrun again

Would like to get under 17 again, last year I only did about 3-4 5ks, and only really had the Hyde Park 17.03 as a good attempt at one

There's also Marlow 5, Windlesham relays, Datchet relays, Upton court relays, so there's a lot of stuff on.
    Hoping the short distance, and the three relays being treated as sessions should be ok!

Also looking to do the Gosport mile/5k double, and ideally, the Eastbourne mile/5k double too, so there's a tonneload of stuff to get involved in!
    Potential little series of 2-4milers in Oxford too...

Who's in for any of that little lot?
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Is that, "See you Friday SG?"
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • SG - Nice little list there, DD not got any track stuff? My summer timetable starting to take shape, with BAL,SAL,Southern and Eastern Vets it can get chaotic - just can't do all four of each of the vets leagues.

Good sessions there too. On Saturday morning, after the MK parkrun that the missus did, I did a 8 mile tempo and tried to guage it (Garmin less of course) to HM pace, 5.40's. Its basically the Wolverton 5 course plus another loop of the southern lake. I realised why tempos are my least favourite training session - it was warm, windy and hellish.

Made me think about the day after and how hard it would be to run a 2.26/2.27 marathon in weather like this. Almost super human.

• SG - Nice little list there, DD not got any track stuff? My summer timetable starting to take shape, with BAL,SAL,Southern and Eastern Vets it can get chaotic - just can't do all four of each of the vets leagues.

Good sessions there too. On Saturday morning, after the MK parkrun that the missus did, I did a 8 mile tempo and tried to guage it (Garmin less of course) to HM pace, 5.40's. Its basically the Wolverton 5 course plus another loop of the southern lake. I realised why tempos are my least favourite training session - it was warm, windy and hellish.

Made me think about the day after and how hard it would be to run a 2.26/2.27 marathon in weather like this. Almost super human.

• PeteM said:
    1'13'xx to 2'36'xx doesn't look like a negative split to me Philip!

Yeah, hands up, maths error. Saw the 13 and doubled to 26 and saw a number ending in 6.
  • Howdy all. I won't take up precious thread space, so if anyone wants to find out how London went for me they can read here;

https://spragginsblog.wordpress.com/2018/04/24/london-marathon-24-04-2018/

Simon - it's terrifying to think how fast they're running! Nice session on Saturday.

ML - sounds like an eventful half. Agree about the beeb, I wish they'd show more of the fast club runners but we're probably in a minority there.

SG - just a few races on the cards then. 
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Questionable underwear for such a public event. 

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    They're belting trunks Joe. Did you not fancy the arm bands again this year? ;-) 
    Good effort on doing London after 75 miles on a bike. Is the Ironman Uk the one at Bolton or is there different events? 

Even though I only did half, my calves and quads were a bit battered by doms. Felt a bit better today so I've made the conscious effort to get some hills in over the next few weeks with a fell relay late May. 7 miles and 700ft at 6.30s tonight to get the ball rolling. Didnt see one dog, bonus. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good grief!!! So glad I didn't run and get stuck behind you Joe!

Quick work on them hills Matt!

As for me - still coughing, back still hurting and hips still sore but still running anyway, just  nothing fast. Doc doesn't really know what the problem is, but doesn't think it is serious, and possibly something triggered by a virus. She wants me to try various stuff for two weeks at a time to try and isolate the cause - so possibly another 6 weeks of badly disturbed sleep before a solution!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you're in the wars Bus.

Nice work Matt. I've seen enough of Joe's pants for a lifetime.

Little track session for me tonight. Did 10 x 600 with 200 jogs in between and a couple of longer RIs after the 5th and 9th efforts.

I found it hard to keep a consistent pace 2:03, 2:02, 2:00, 2:00 & 2:02 for the first five. Then 2:06, 2:01, 2:05, 2:04 & 1:58. Aim was 5k pace and that's 6k at 16:59 pace by my calculations. Not sure if that means I have a shot at sub 17 but I might get a Parkrun in to see.
  • Ric/Bus/Reg - I think they should probably come with a parental guidance warning or similar. 

ML - that’s the one. Reg is in to that sort of stuff as well but he’s better than me. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Don't be so modest Joe, I reckon we're pretty closely matched.

Very quiet on here, I think it's because SG is spending all his time plotting routes around Slough that take in soft segments.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Bus,

That adage about 'what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger'. That only applies to those under 30 years of age.

When you get older, what doesn't kill you, makes how it leaves you, wishing it had.

Probably best not test the point any further. It hasn't worked for years.

🙂

• Good progress there Reg, tidy hill running from ML84.

Track last night, 8x 800 off 80 secs, the old easy/hard alternates. All the easies at 2.36, session came in at 2.34/2.21, 2.35/2.19, 2.36/2.18, 2.37/2.14. Hard to not slack too much on the steadies, but if they are too quick they are pointless as hey don't allow you to push the quicker ones.

Boozy weekend ahead - LBAC club dinner tonight, them off on the train at 8am tomorrow for Southampton - AFCB.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Probably best not test the point any further. It hasn't worked for years.

I should have said that 'it' sure hasn't worked for me.

My capacity to thrive and improve off of tough training has reduced to almost zero. I can inflict it upon myself, but the damage is so great, that by the time I recover, I'm no better than the level I started out at. 

Difficult to formulate plans when getting worse is a distinct outcome of trying to improve.

Didn't used to be like that. All I needed to be was not over weight and any old crap worked. More to the point, I could race faster then doing nothing, than I can now doing everything.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Had another go at running this morning. Not good. It's like the elasticity had completely left my muscles.

Needless to say, every time my foot hit the ground, the impact was transmitted directly into the places where the tendons meet the bone.

Messed about for a couple of miles before packing it in. Sore spots in the lower hamstrings and abductors the only result.

Ok, I admit the injuries involved aren't exactly excruciating. The difference is that I can't run through them.

Mind you, I haven't given up yet. 

🙂

• Keep going mate. Not easy is it. Quiet on here again, merge with the Sub3 thread? LOL
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Those under 30 Ric, or those over who have running a bit too high in their life priorities list :)

Simon, those "steady" 800s look what a lot of us would do as our effort 800s ;)

62.5mile week. Sessions 3&4 of the 5k plan, which are both 200s, 16x200 at 1500, and 10x200 at 800. Averages 34 and 33, which is spot on for me.

300mile return drive to Chesterfield yesterday to see Wycombe promoted, for only the 4th time in 25 years!  Long day, and a late sleep, so limited my long run today, saying 10 would do, so obviously doing 11, eventually averaging 7.01 after a very sluggish half asleep mile 1.

Some excellent looking aways next year, so might have tosqueeze this years 5 back closer to my record of 16. Ideally some will link to United games, or even races.

In terms of races, yesterday would have been the Masters relays. We had no chance of getting there as we failed to even get to the 12 stage! These 3 and Maidenhead 10 have been a shame to miss, as Wokingham half feels a long time ago now, after a keen amount of races to get 2018 cracking.

However, loads on in May

• Matthew HeadMatthew Head ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    It's been very quiet in here!

Great set of 800s there SC, but as SG says, the cruise are the sorts of times us mere mortals would aim for!

Good strong session Reg, a parkrun blowout would do you good!

Great mileage week there SG, despite the travelling.

Bus, I hope you get to the bottom of it sooner rather than later.

Joe, enjoyed the report - not so sure on the shorts mind!!

Half decent week for me, just shy of 42 miles over 5 days, despite foot-related problems at the end of last week. Turns out some decent calf stretching with heel drops have sorted it out.
    Just started my 38 hour journey to New Zealand - hoping to get out and stretch the legs Tuesday evening after I land!