Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Hope your lad is on the mend then Ric, anything in that region makes me wince.

Well done on the half win Dachs. Same Pete, good classic Pete double. Nice to see you coming back to form post calf and car crash troubles.

Good luck are BP tonight Dachs/SG.

I managed to get a reasonable week's training in last week. I have a race in two weeks and my goal race is end of October so it's time to start building towards it. 150 miles on the bike and 30 miles running with two swims. I am a bit sick of the heat though. 53 miles on the bike yesterday and then a 4 mile run off the bike was hard work. I'd done a few laps of the lake in the morning and a 12 mile run the day before so I guess it's no surprise. What helped is my wife and children are away for a week. Makes the house too quiet and boring but plenty of time to train.
  • Condolences to the kid Ric, I hope all sorts itself out soon - can't personally imagine any mishap relating to the crown jewels.

Some good races, well done PeteM on the double - strong effort on the parkrun likely to affect the 10km, but there's still a lot to be said for your result on somewhat depleted legs from the parkrun. It'll come together soon enough!

SG, well done on the 5km - it's a hard balance to strike, turn out often and get them in as solid training runs, but likely at the cost of a PB or an indication of your true form!

More pants running from me - did a coastal 10 km the other week (10.5 really...), but not a measured course and not something to be compared to anything but itself really. Did it as a jolly as the parents were driving past the door to do it - it was a jolly until the klaxon went. Shot off with the leading lot up the first hill feeling somewhat good, but the rugged terrain soon sapped my legs and I started going backwards. On top of that, on one of the few tarmac downhills I got a massive stitch! Walked for a few minutes to regain composure, had water from the station just down the way, and back on my way and managed to regain a few scalps.
    Absolutely ruined my calves for days, to the point of using the bannister to take weight off my legs the following day - I really don't get on with my low drop trail shoes. In fact, I've managed to get rid of my foot issue! Turns out I don't get on with low drop shoes full stop - a few weeks in Brooks Ghost 10s and no problems at all.

Some runs towards the beginning of last week to prep for another race that I wasn't planning on racing - more of a HM tempo or so, as it's 7 miles (such an odd distance to race!), and hopefully surpass my time from 3 years ago when I'd only really started running.
    Super hilly run around Saltash, about 230m of elevation, so by no means able to get into a rhythm. First couple of miles felt good, and I was keeping an eye on the effort level to make sure I was keeping true - until at 2.5 mi on a long downhill stretch I got a stitch again - second time in two evening races. Completely ruined the race as I was walk-jogging for the next mile, overtaken by loads of people of which many asked how I was, and then caught up with my Dad and ran the rest in with him.
    Sadly, I missed out on making the men's team because of the stitch fiasco.

Not sure what's caused the stitch both times - but the pattern so far is evening races, and downhill stretches. Perhaps out of practice with downhill running, or fuelling poorly during the day.

Attempted a long run yesterday, planned 12 and stopped at 9, walking the last 3 home. Went out at 10am trying to avoid the main heat, and making the most of the cloud cover, but after a few miles it was like a furnace - and I don't think I hydrated well enough after the evening race. 
    Live and learn!
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    You're right Ric; expected too much. I'm usually ok on hydration and take some extra protein uptake. I have this powder to make up protein based drinks and now an overnight version which includes zinc and your fav magnesium, but don't use them enough and didn't on Saturday as caught up doing other things. 

You sound like you were a nightmare to compete with back in the day; Coe and Ovett style; one great performance then straight onto thoughts of how to do the next one :)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Dachs said:

I'm probably at Battersea tonight SG, so come along.  I won't be running at my best having done a track session Friday and a 15 on Saturday, but a good hearty effort should help towards the 5K training.

Ahh, woke up today, realised it was going to be an absolute scorcher and me and my race pal binned it between us, both hoping it didn't disappoint the other, but in reality, both very comfy with binning it!

When i go back there I want it to be a smashfest attempt, rather than tonight which would have had last week's too vivid, and already a "weather" disclaimer to fall back on.

I think the first one was still warm/humid, but not like these last 2 weeks, and also had the benefit of being the "first" go, and feeling like one that needed a big go.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Something different Matt. Being asked if you're ok can't be a good sign in a race though!

Pete - brave to attempt a double race combo in this heat! Doesn't sound too bad an effort at all though in the circumstances.

Reggie decent set of efforts last week. Cycling miles always leap out to me! Agreed it's been nice to be "warm", but getting bored of it now.

Weighing up a rare Dashers track sesh tonight. Did a 5miler this morn to keep flexi, but may do the Tue sesh instead with them.

On the agenda for certain is the
    Mile Welsh steep hill race in 11 days time, possibly a parkrun round there on the Sat morn,

Dashers relay pairs 5x1km job the week after

Will try and do one of the BP 5ks on 6th or 13th Aug. Potentially even the 3x1mile one, if anyone fancies making a team up (Satnam might come, so need one deffo), as it could be good fun to get a 1mile time in there.

So 2 definites and a few potentials.

Further ahead, need a plan. Building to a autumn half might be a plan. I'd like a proper 6-8 week buildup though, with a 15 each week like in the spring.

Maidenhead in early Sep is too soon
    Slough mid October a poss, maybe Gosport in Nov.
    We'll see. I have grown to liking the short sharp races! They're over so soon!
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭

Pete - nice double, that's a good time at Woodley, the hugely downhill nature does take it's toll on the body so no surprise you didn't run as well as you might have liked at Elmbridge. I did that race a couple of years ago, it's closer to me than lots of other local races but didn't recognise a soul on the start line.

I won't make Battersea this evening. I turned my ankle on the trails last Monday and it's still not 100%. It happened the day that I'd run a really nice long MP session round Dorney with our superstar Jill, she went and injured herself turning a corner the next day. We must have crossed a dog walker or a goose or something.

Actually, It's also just too bloody hot for racing quite frankly....

Matt - I think it's quite common for folks to get a stitch running downhill, something to do with the extra pounding of the foot strike (or something). I've no idea what you do about it though, sorry.

Ric - I think we all feel the pain for your son. How does it happen? Can it just HAPPEN?! Yikes.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Wool, fear not. You have to be unusually loose in the 'dropped bollocks' department to start with. It's why it's a young mans affliction - usually.

However, if it happens, go straight to A & E. And put em on ice - you've got about six hours until game over. 

Pete, the only runners I was a nightmare for were the club guys around my own standard who I refused to train with.

They operated like a dog pack, with a pecking order. It made them feel secure. The way they could maintain that primitive function was to train with each other all the time so they could get to see exactly what each of them were doing.

I could ignore them on the principle that they were no better last week, than this week, than next week. I'd do a block of training and already know when I lined up for a race, which of the twats I'd take out.

I used to get all sorts of condescending crap from these guys. The respect I got was from those either side of them. 
    When I was asked training advice from internationals, I knew I was on the right lines. 
    Then again I wasn't afraid to talk to them on the level.

Very common for the very fastest runners to be ignored. Who would dare ask them about their races and training? And, after all, it's difficult for them to bring up the subject of their latest triumph.

I consider that last bit, a strong point of this thread.
    All abilities, all races, all valid.
    Tell us what happened with a blow by blow account. 

Internationals and not so internationals welcome.

As an Olympian once said to me. I get just as knackered as you do, I just happen to be moving faster when it happens.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Hope you unturn it soon Wool.

Track tonight then, turned up, smoulderingly hot!

I always mean to do a longer warm up then the pitiful one they do (3 laps!), but at least did a mile.

Then it was (optimistically)  800, 300, 150, 150 (at 1500,800,400 paces off 90,60,30). The 30 secs leading to another set of the same. Then 3min recovert with a final 1600 with straights drilled, and bends cruised.

Started with a 2.26 800 then..which was out of comfort zone from the off - the peril of racing people on the track!

Recoveries were a  bit "Loose", based on a midpacker, then it was 47secs for the 300  and 22 x 22 for the 150s, although a min recovery in reality not 30.

2.40, 50,24,23 next time round

Young Chris showed his top end pace by zooming by on the 150s, but was a bit lacking on the longer stuff, as well as needing a few sit downs in between, and then coming apart for the last lap of the 1600.

Very inconsistent 800s, and the distances all felt complete random! However, something a bit different.

Not overly a fan of group sessions, as you do tend to end up with fairly inconsistent stuff until reality kicks in and you're knackered!

• Still a decent session SG. Good double PeteM, great half Dachs - keep on going MH..Apologies if I have missed anyone. Best wishes to the lad Ric.

Quite a boozy weekend for me - after having three pints after training Thursday night after training and having a headache Friday morning I have realised it's too hot to drink. Anyway, my mate was over from Holland, so we got a lift over to Houghton Hall parkrun with the missus and the kid. I was 2nd in 17.55 - steady first two laps then pushed on last lap to go from 5th-2nd. The ran back 12 lumpy miles to Leighton Buzzard. Firmly ticked off under don't do that again, bit of a struggle, especially in the heat. Few more 'looseners' in town Saturday night.

Nothing Sunday, normal commute yesterday. Asked for a schedule from the coach..and on the subject of optimistic sessions..tonight is 8 x 800 off 80 secs at 1500m pace! So that's 2.16's? OK...will report back tomorrow ;)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    That's surely got to be borderline impossible Simon? 4miles at 1500 pace?
    Looking at even my one 800 yesterday I'd be disappointed to post a 4.52 1500 (unless it was the real gale of my 5.10 recent mile at Gosport!)

Having said that, the 300 and 150s were probably in and around pace.

What a session like yesterday shows me, with the fusing of very intense paces with short recoveries, is that it really finds you out when you're a road runner. You can see why the advice is to start your running on the track at those distances, as going back down in distance is a real strain.

I dare say when training goes back to 5mile - half marathon focused in the autumn, the "joy" of being able to post much slower paced reps will very quickly go and even that will feel tough :)
  • Yes well I'm going to be realistic about tonight, I'll most likely piggyback an LBAC juniors session at the local school and do the reps on a grass track, hopefully I might be able to average 2.20's, which will be ok - obviously the heat will play a part too.

Regarding above, it illustrates how a track session a week should be part of a normal training schedule, I can't really see where it won't be helpful to any running event that you might be targeting, even if the length of the reps grow if it's a longer event. And probably best to get used to it as young as possible - like you alluded to.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Nice work on the parkrun/10K double header Pete.  Given you're only now coming back to this old pattern, you can hardly be surprised that the 10K was a bit below par.  As time marches on, recovery becomes more and more of an issue and doing essentially two hard efforts on consecutive days may just not be realistic.

Matt H, that's certainly not an ideal set of runs, but keep plugging away and sure things will come good.

Pacey reps SG.

Battersea Park last night was a pretty dreadful 16:01, but after a track session on Friday, a 15 miler on Saturday, plus potentially still having the after effects of the half marathon last weekend, perhaps not too surprising.  It's all part of the build-up to Malaga anyway, and I'm not supposed to be peaking yet.  Good enough for 4th on the night.  If I'd known it would've been 16:01 I would have probably found the extra 2 seconds to dip under, but there you go.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    16:01? - you're shit Dachs :wink:
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

You'd have seen the clock for the last 20 odd seconds ticking round Dachs :)

Might be your first non sub 16 BP, but hey, 16.01 aint exactly hanging around, and a nice little medal.

An aiming to be back there on Monday for the 3x1mile relays. See if we can get this year's mile better than the 5.08 and 5.10 windy and very windy efforts to date.

• Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

Thought was pretty good in the weather Dachs? And the medal (oh come on SG...thought we were above medals here ;) )

Well the optimistic track session didn't happen as I left work dead on time to get the earlier train, but all trains out of Euston were up the creek die to an 'incident' (after my train to work was cancelled in the morning too!!) so jogged back to work and did 8 x 2 laps of the little St Pancras park. I usually do about 8 x 1 lap and they usually come out at 1.10 for each. So with my 'heavy' Sunday trainers on the 2 laps reps came out at 2.29's and 2.30's which wasn't too bad considering the stifling weather.

Nearly killed me though - dragged myself back to Euston to get the train back just before 7pm. Draining this heatwave lark..

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    So due to the heat you went and did double your usual session in the park? :)

Certainly is stifling, no doubt Ric will have the full explanation, but something about muscles being mostly water, and straight away they are whatever percentage under strength.

6 this morn, 7.07 pace. Made sure I eased in, and near the end I could feel a few bits tightening.

Enjoying the "flexibility" and lots of races of the summer, but on the other hand looking forward to a "proper" 6 or so week block just training for some sort of target race.
    Only question is when to start it, as good sessions/races etc go on well into Aug.
    Sep 1st for Mid Oct-Nov looks decent bet.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I was catching up a few days and waiting to see the results of Simon's session with eager anticipation and it didn't happen, who writes the script for this thread?

Then Dach's let's me down with 16:01.

SG, you planning a half in the autumn then? 

I have a race next week and then 12 weeks to build for the Europeans. A month before I'll be doing the Windsor half-marathon and trying for that magical sub 75, I just hope it's not still hot then. I'll have a good 7-8 weeks and I am wondering whether to focus on getting in a couple of quality sessions or just upping the mileage. I am thinking a weekly track session (partly influenced by SCs comment) and then alternating some tempo and hill work for the second session.

Given my age, I am thinking I only have a few years to nail a sub 2:40 marathon, a sub 75 half and a sub 35 10k. I reckon I'd be happy enough with that on my death bed.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Potentially...if i can snap out of the current "short races are over quickly = more enjoyable" mentality.

You'll need to be a chunk faster than sub 75 fitness to do it at Windsor I fear. I'm led to believe it's a fairly hilly job for one thing.

Then look at the results last year, about 5 runners 1hr 12 and faster, and then it starts really dropping off. Mr Miller coming in 1hr 17 and he's way, way quicker than that at best.
    Could be one lonely run!

Maybe a back up later in the year? Probably all those time aims are in your locker, but sometimes you need things to align well.
    With the half, i've posted a 1.15.41 outlier, which we'll put to one side, and then a stash of 1.17s, the one in Feb 1.17.10 being my 3rd best in 27.
    Would like to post a 1.16.xx which should be doable. I think that's about 5.54/5.55 pace, so with a decent buildup should be a goer.

Maybe a plan of 6 weeks to build to one, race a half, recover, another 6 weeks and race another...we'll see though, writing it is very easy!!
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Reg; definitely wouldn't do Windsor if you want a fast time. I train there loads (running and cycling) and it is nothing but undulations pretty much all the way. Don't know any serious runner who has a pb or anything close there. Much faster courses at Maidenhead (2nd Sept), Ealing (same day as Windsor but rip off price), Kingston (7 Oct and a nice early start) and I imagine Slough (HM back after a long absence on 14 Oct, but think its not UKA).  

• Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

SG - I was annoyed so beasted myself round the park!! Reg - Sorry about that, blame London Northwestern trains. Actually someone who jumped on the tracks as I was leaving. At least I got very very tired..and I have got another silly session on the schedule coming soon!!!

I'm sure those 'deathbed' times will be achievable too.

Definitely got in the BMC mile race on Saturday at Oxford Iffley Rd. That was the meeting a couple of years ago where I interrupted an all dayer to hop over the fence and greet Dean with a tinnie after his race :) Great days... 

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice, I should probably have added that it's the club champs race so if it's not on, it doesn't really matter. I'd like to win that trophy. 
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    SG, in this heat I'd suggest going a little slower than usual.

For me the basic benefit is increased blood plasma levels. That helps create a lot of extra red blood cells.
    I used to think that it was all about filling one's guts with fluid and running on that, in order to expand the circulation. But the process is a little more complicated than that, to such an extent that extra hydration while training isn't a factor.

What is a factor is not drinking at all much. The damage done outweighs the point of training in the first place. 

On that basis, this morning I did an easy 5 miles in the 9's. It's jogging. It's easy. And it still works. It doesn't have to hurt a bit to be effective.

And, a couple of hours later I went out on the bike and covered over 100km. Plenty to drink on that one. Must admit, whatever 'Boost' is, it sure works. 

As for work. It's not quite how it used to be.

A job I did two days back was for the Indian version of Jamie Oliver. A professional chef and instructor of Indian cuisine. "Would I like lunch?", " And a beer?".

Heavily cropped picture, but you get the idea.

Third lunch-time of that nature this week. Must be hot or something.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It's naturally coming out slower Ric! Easing into the first mile definitely helps.

I tend to notice the temp the most when turning round on my out and back routes. Suddenly getting a real glare of sun!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Found myself on Samir Haddad's PO10 earlier.

A reminder of how decent he already was, and could have been.

4.51 mile, 1620s 5k, mid 27 5miler, 1hr 17 half.

Nothing for over 3 years unfortunately. A shame as he can only be 24/25 ish.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I meant a lot slower SG, and of a predetermined nature, rather than a resultant.

You're leaving too much energy out on the road going along at 7 minute mile pace, especially in these conditions.

The way I see it, the slower the steady stuff can be done without losing all semblance of running, the faster and more effective will the sessions become.

🙂

• WoolWool ✭✭✭

SG - are you doing Windsor? It's hard to believe that you have to rely on 2nd hand accounts of the hills. It's always a lovely club day out & I don't see that getting spoiled by the fact that someone was daft enough to put Ealing in our club champs! The last mile or so is quite special, get entered.

Last night I ran in the DARK. Autumn will be here soon enough. In the mean time I'm trying to run some sessions where I don't really know what a good pace is (e.g. hills) as going out to try and run tempo (or something) at 30C is a little deflating.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That'll be the living 40mins away and never training on the Thursday easy run days for ya

I'm wary these days of going half cocked into halfs where you know you're not getting near what you should. If I do one like that I'll probably do Marlow in November, and have a steady effort round. The way this summer and year in general have gone, we'll probably still be in heat by September.

Club champs are a nice little team spirit thing, but fitting 8 events in would mean something would have to give elsewhere. There's a lot of long distance stuff on there.
    Last year had a few more shorter bits and pieces.

Tadley 10miler for example. Why would you do that one over a GSR or Cabbage Patch (bar it being full!)
    Thames 10miler - a fairly random, very early starting race, that was very closely positioned to Maidenhead 10 (i think?)

• Boy it's hot - only did my 4-5mile shorter commute.

Tonight's session? 12 x 400 aiming for 64's of 80 ;) Aiming to get over the track by me around 6.30 when it's dinner time for all the kids and there's no fecking dog walkers treating the track like Crufts fecking parade ground. Hopefully do some 66's at least.

Ric - Nice lunch!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Why the hell do you have dog walkers on a running track?  Do you not have to pay to get in anyway?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I'd presumed Simon meant the canal paths when he said track.
    But now i'm actually wondering what sort of weird drop in track they have...

A few chavs, a kid, and some super slow guys in tonnes of layers dribbling along in the fast lane were the only occasionals I saw at the old track.