Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Fair comment SG.  Just to clarify, I definitely wouldn't run the marathon if I still felt ill 3-4 days before, so sticking with it would be dependent on my illness clearing up soon. It's more that the illness has prevented me cramming in some last minute mara-specific work.
  • Dachs, I'm in a different camp to SG! Assuming you are well I would run Chester. Are you going to tell the grandkids that I could have run for England but decided to do a relay instead? If you can keep the club together there will be other National Road Relays; who knows if there will ever be another England call-up!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Aley' if dachs hadn't mentioned he's confident in another england call id agree.
    Also he's turned out before? Xc i think?

The irony i think is that national relay opportunities are probably harder for him to hassle his team up for :)

Hopefully dachs you're 100% asap and you can decide rather than it being decided for you
  • Point taken, SG! Had forgotten about the XC best. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Dachs, I'd ditch the marathon.

Just because you feel better, it doesn't mean the illness has completely gone. All it means is that it's effects have receded enough to stop hurting you all the time.

A short race is one thing. A marathon will take you into places you don't want to go when getting over illness.

🙂

• Sg - I'm probably getting bumped into wave 2 at Telford.  You will be ok if you got in.  It will be won in sub 32
  • The Bus said:
    Surely the question isn't why then, but Hawaii not?

I only got it after saying it out loud a few times. 

Stevie G said:
    Phil -you could say buzzkill type stuff about London marathon - too crowded, too much non serious charity gub, but you're missing the epic iconic nature of the race.
    London is very different. If you are fast then it is a fast course but Kona just seems slow compared to what it could be. Kipchoge set the third fastest time there in 2016 (2:03:05) and it is still the 5th fastest ever behind 3 at Berlin and a tailwind Boston. For the women, The world record is still Paula at London but that probably reflects the athlete more than the course. 

Dachs, I'd go for the vest.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Session tomorrow is 4 or 5 x 3mins (i'll do 5) at 5.26 pace off 3mins. I'll do this on the track this time (Wycombe park last time)

Being on a track, at my pace aim, 1.21 lap, would people do say 900metres, or would you just do a km?  900metres would probably be very close to 3mins, whereas km is a good 20secs beyond.

For other sessions I've done stuff like 300s and 150s rather than complete the "half lap", so does 900metres sound sensible? Or just invite me rucking up which of the tonneload of markings is the actual 100m up? ;)

• SG - I'm probably missing something but could you not just run 3 mins? Or is the specific distance so you can keep track of pace?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

On the road yes without question, but on a track it's probably best to work to distances for a comparison?

In the same way I did 27 laps on Tuesday, rather than leave it at say 26 laps and 375metres for the exact 40:00

It's the type of amateur pedantry I'm good at :)

I think i'll do the 900m then, and take 400m, 400m, and 100m splits (just to make it awks for Johnas to analyse ;) )

(ps Aley, this certainly isn't the time to try those 3min kms you mentioned ;) )

• Dachs - ordinarily I would say England vest....but it's about form and current ability.  You are in 5k shape.  I would do the national relays as you might not get there again and it's a big deal for your club.  You can win another England vest in the 10k coming up in the next 6 months. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    5x3mins (900m in effect) then off 3mins.
    Aiming for 1.21 lap.

Pretty much all to plan or slightly quicker. Just the one errant 1.22 slipping in after a 1.20, but it's not always that easy to hit a precise to the second lap pace. Averaged out fine.

1.18-1.20-20
    1.20-1.22-19
    1.20-1.19-20
    1.20,1.20-19
    1.20,1.20-19

A good session, as with the generous recoveries you think it'll be easier than it is, but having done the 40mins of 1.29 on Tuesday, it just reminds the legs to keep turning over a good chunk quicker.
  • Dachs, running is an individual sport, relays are fun but you're only as good as those around you. I'd do the marathon. You never know what's round the corner, injury, illness etc. If you'd been running 35 miles a week in 5k training fair enough but you're doing twice as much as I've ever done for a marathon.

The way I see it, you'll feel more affinity for your club BUT after the relays, when you've all gone home, you'll have just done a short relay leg in a team that were also ran's in an event 99.999999% of people have never heard of.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reggie, I wonder whether 99.9999999% of people have heard of many running events outside of say the London marathon, Great north run, olympics/commonwealths..
  • I agree with Reg Dachs. Sometimes it's when you least expect it and when the (self induced) pressure is off that you surprise yourself. You'd want to be sure that your lurgy was out of the system though, so a good 4 or 5 days feeling fine beforehand I'd say.

Dean - yes I did :smile:

Nice, controlled session SG.
  • Stevie G said:
    Reggie, I wonder whether 99.9999999% of people have heard of many running events outside of say the London marathon, Great north run, olympics/commonwealths..
    SG, 99.9% of people have heard of England.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ah you were talking events
  • the national relays have had mo farah, butchart, moorcroft, coe, ovett and many others run them.    This event is a big deal in the calendar for many teams.   
    but basically Dachs needs to balance the risk of running a bit meh but with the honour of representing in an england vest in the chester marathon against the risk of never making the national Relays again.   which would burn a bigger pain?  if it wasnt for the england vest would you even consider running a marathon?
  • I was talking about which event is likely to mean more in the long run. No pun intended.
  • Dachs - marathon if it might be the only chance of an England vest. But seeing as you have already represented, I would go for the relays.

Obviously the bonus of seeing me and Dean there too :) (although I could be first reserve at the moment..)

The England 10k thing is a bit annoying. Was planning Cardiff away in the footie, turns out it's a day before Chichester. And Telford is a day after the masters xc at Oxford. Why aren't there more weekends in the year...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Always got to hope for a match up simon.
    Like Gosport is the day after wycombe are at sunderland for eg.
    And man utd liverpool is same weekend of wokingham.

The latter is a big quandary
  • There are plenty more weekends in the year Simon - but only when you retire :wink:

8M very slow and easy run at lunch, with a very rare monitoring of heart rate rather than pace to make sure I wasn't going to make this lergy worse.

Wokingham back on then presumably SG?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It was never off Bus. Just different organisers.
    Best case scenario is Man Utd v Liverpool improbably moved the Monday!
    Any Saturday or Sunday scenario, even the latter at 4pm just aint happening.

Cheeky Johnas has jumped a surprise into the schedule. This week was presented as a 2 session week, a sort of easier week.
    He's surprised me by allowing a park run this week :)
    Stipulation - no watch :open_mouth:

Any recommendations, or trip suggestions? Joining?
    Not allowed to take anyone i'd be battling with similar pace though...as that serves as a pacing tool!
  • No watch but do you have to hit a target time?

• So what's the point of not having a watch?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    To work hard to feel :)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The TVXC pressure has started. Three separate FB trails from the group chat, the captain, and the old captain.

This league should be so simple. 
    8 events, so put 2 a month in Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb.

If people are concerned that going too late into Feb interferes with spring road races, or there's a backlog late in the year and no spare dates, take one and put it in the Dec or Jan that has 5 Sundays that year.

For years the Windsor race was a great start to the series. The venue, the tradition with Remembrance day, and the easiest course making it a good way to ease in for both newbies and oldies.

Recently they for some reason shoehorned an event into early October - way before the rest of the series. Very strange.

Even stranger this year, they've ludicrously put 3 events in October. 

Simple result is a lot of runners can't or won't make the early ones.
    I'll do some later on, and did 5 last year, but 8 is quite an ask I think.
  • 7th October - Metros
    21st October - TVT
    28th October - Reading
    11th November - Datchet
    25th November -Sandhurst
    2nd December - Handy Cross
    20th January - Tadley
    3rd February - Bracknell

Seems like a perfectly reasonable spread to me, apart from the TVT/Reading ones being back-to-back.

As for starting with Datchet, if you weren't used to that being first then you'd never consider it a problem. You could argue the favourable October weather makes for an easy introduction too. There'll be restricted by venue availability too, it's probably pretty difficult to organise eight races neatly.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Only one in each of dec and jan when probably very few road races happen. But 3 in october and 2 in November when many do road race.

Two in 8 weekends in prime xc months doesn't sound anywhere near sensible or well spread at all when you have two examples of 3 in 4 weeks