Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Re Wokingham - I guess, as the old organisers are stepping down, that the new organisers are trying to make sure the competitive field it usually attracts isn't dissuaded by concerns about it being under new management.

It certainly looks like I'll have a free entry for some time, which is more than welcome.

Re the Vaporfly, I might be tempted at some point.  I'm scrambling round for seconds now, so I will take whatever help I can get that doesn't show up in my piss.

Ric, hope the treatment sorts you out.

Strong session SG.

My dilemma of last week has resolved itself, as I'm still not 100%, so there's no way I'm attempting a marathon, so have pulled out.  Shame I don't get the England vest, but the health risks aren't remotely worth it.  Will still be up in Chester for the weekend and will enjoy watching a marathon for once rather than running it.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    A shame Dachs, but you have to feel right.

It's very easy for others to say "do the marathon", but they're not the ones who have to slog round and spend ages recovering. I think you've made the only sensible decision (though I am one risk adverse bastad ;) )
  • Do the marathon in Vaporflys Dachs, it's basically a 10k in those.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Cheers guys.

I've a fatalistic view of what I've got. One thing is certain, I not spending years nursing a set of crap conditions simply to live longer. I'm just not that interested.

One way ticket to Switzerland.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

GSR number arrived through the post. Obligatory rush of adrenaline and nerves, as it only feels real when you have the number! :p

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Just double checked the session tomorrow, and I'd quoted next week's in error (due to this week and next Thur both being the same), and tomorrow and next Sat starting with 4x1mile Threshold.

So instead...

4x1mile Threshold (1min - not 3)

2x1km (3mins)  at 3.23

4x200 (37) 200m jog.

Same session as 2 1/2 weeks ago. That's the interesting thing with this, some of the sessions are repeated, but not the BIG threshold one of the week, which build, but have adjusted continuous pace work every couple of weeks too.

• Dachs don't forget those Alton Sports vouchers ;)

Dean - Never pay full price when I'm here! New victory 4 XC spike for anyone ?

Spoke briefly to SC on chat, sorry I never replied last. Very fucking busy all the time 🙂 Hopefully shoes will come soon, I've not heard of a delay yet. Any reason for the HOKA ? 1st one ?

New Pegasus turbo is the one everyone is having dreams over for performance and mileage 

I've done sod all really, once a week if I can, I'm still very much struggling with the foot which is seemingly bad whatever I do, stemming from nerve damage from my op and cannot flex my but toe now really. The odd painful shit but better in that department. Only one round of Botox this year.

I did rock up and run the Gosport 5km once in the summer and did 18:4x - Not bad for less than 300 miles this year and probably less last year from the injury 

It's awesome to keep reading through, daily checks and seeing everyone well 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You keep positive and encouraging scott. That's a great way to be..it'll turn for you im sure.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Sesh nailed for the day

4x1600 threshold (1.28 lap)
    2x1km at 3.23
    4x200m at 37

Up at 6am out at 7am done by 9am.

Very windy half of the track so had to struggle that out and make it count in the other half!

1.26, 1.27, 1.28x2
    1.24, 1.26, 1.27, 1.29
    1.25, 1.26, 1.27, 1.28
    1.26x2, 1.27, 1.28, 1.29

Gotta be at least a1.27 average there.
    Following a 1.24 with a 1.29 was the strangest combo but apart from that and accidentally doing a 5th lap on rep 4 as my ability to do maths completely went - all good.

Kms were tough as i had the windy stretch three times per rep. Crawling through wind and then monstering the back straight.
    3.23 on the nose

(Realised the kmz the other day were actually quicker than i quoted as i managed to forget with something like 1.20.60 that the 60s are 100ths so 60 does not equal 1sec, 100 does :) whoops. The peril of taking 400 and 200 splits for pacing rather than just one reading afterwards! Must drive johnas up the wall!

200s done on the non windy part. Rampaged 35x2, 36x2.
    All.done.

Back home. Bath.sleep ahead

Then wycombe game live.
    United game (Jose's last) on the screen

• Stevie G said:
    Ps muddy, probably because you do 95% of your races at a tempo effort 😉
    :)  including cross country. It's probably a tough recovery  'cos I'm doing it on tiptoes, come to think of it.

Anyway apologies for a fly by post, just been doing a thread catch up and I thought I’d comment on the vaporfly shoes. I think this is the definitive word on the efficacy of the Vaporfly:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/07/18/upshot/nike-vaporfly-shoe-strava.html

I got a pair half price via Vitality insurance. They are incredibly light for the cushioning and I ran times I had no right to run based on where I thought I was relative to historic peak fitness. You really don’t feel like you’ve raced after wearing them - very protective and recovery is much swifter. You’d save a few bob on sports massages (unless you are Simon) so they could theoretically pay for themselves. I got over 300 miles out of mine but ran them down to the plate...

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    You do well Scott. Your physical issues actually hurt, while mine are no more than theoretical/potential.

No idea why the NHS are so keen to deal with me. I've never asked for anything. Then again, I've not missed or been late for an appointment ever. And all prescriptions have been taken. 

I wonder if playing the game works to one's advantage in some way?

Another good session there SG. You're getting keen on this latest training change. Keeps the interest.

I meanwhile did a 20 mile run this morning. Averaged about 45 seconds per mile faster than the last occasion I covered this distance. Felt ok.

Shoes:

I'm fortunate in that I tend not to wear out the soles of shoes. I get unknown mileages out of them. Usually it's the uppers that give out.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    This has just appeared.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45756572

Looks as though Paul Sinton-Hewitt has just turned up. Lets ask him.

🙂

• Sorry to hear that Dachs, hope you’re back in business soon.

Just a quick note on the vapourflys as everyone’s talking about it. Was at the Chicago marathon expo yesterday and Nike are the sponsor. They had some on sale at their store.

I’ve never seen anything like it. Mass rugby scrums, 2 hour long lines and grown men nearly coming to blows over boxes of shoes. It was utter carnage. Quite pathetic really. Safe to say I had a good chuckle.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Get us a pair pal, size 12s.

Just kidding :)

All the best to the other part of the dweeb team for the big one!

• I paced at parkrun this morning, a fairly slow but safe 24 minutes. Two highlights:

1) at about 2km a father and son came by. At 3km the son was wanting to push on and the father obviously was full out so another guy said he would help him on. The conversation went:

Youngster: "Can you do this? How fast can you go?"
    Other guy : "16:08 is my best."
    End of conversation. 

Had a chat with him afterwards, Eirin McDaid,  https://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=583609, coming back from injury and aiming sub 16.

2) at about 3.5 km I caught up with a lady in a bright yellow top. Didn't think too much about it at first but she upped her effort to stay with me and it was apparent she wanted to stay with me. There is a bit of a pull up to 4km and she was struggling a bit so I adjusted my pace a bit to ensure we got to the top together and at a sensible effort. Soon after a male friend of hers (husband or brother, same surname) told her the pacer was too fast (I wasn't, all splits within a few seconds and eventually 23:51 so inside but not by too much) but they pushed on and she got a new parkrun PB after 124 runs.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Interesting discussion on Vaperfly's. They certainly seem to do the trick in improving times but £200+ for a racer tht will do only about 300 miles? No thanks. Won't 'me too' versions come out soon from Asics, Adidas etc and can we not expect the price to come down a lot soon? 

So 1st TVXC today over at Hillingdon. Not the biggest or best quality turnout as lots probably share SG's view it is too early in the year. Anyway new and pretty easy course this year which was mostly running round playing fields and reminiscent for me of the distant days of school xc. Others said it was more like a professionals xc course but think they just wanted to big themselves up!  Still had the stream crossing twice and one steep hill each lap (the old dry ski slope I think) but overall nothing major. Was reasonably up with the pace most of the way and despite being outsprinted by a couple (including my club captain!) on the run in finished 22nd in 38'45 for what I measured as a 9.8k course. Very pleaaed with that as a time and a finishing spot but probably a bit flattering. 

Yesterday Woking parkrun and 5th in 18'40. Not much to report from that. It's an easy course but overtaking issues slow you a bit 3rd lap. Wanted sub 18'30 really on my first go at a fast course for quite a few weeks but not to be on current level of ability. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bit off your usual spot on pacing there Phil ;)

Pete- I makes you right, prices and other versions will emerge. I read Muddy's link, and while the evidence generally sweeps that they are faster, it's impossible to quantify how much, as like the Datchet boys, there's also other stuff going on, like much improved training.

I did chuckle at them saying about how a guy who got down to 2.40 or something for a marathon "was putting in an average of 50miles a week" for however many years, as if that was an incredible, hard to believe mileage!

Good XC turnout. Sounds long enough of a course.

It sounds like Datchet did a good job winning today, bearing in mind our indisputable top 7 weren't there for the men, and best 2-3 for women weren't either. I think we may have come 3/4th last year here and it gave us a backlog from the off.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good racing and parkrunning Pete. I'd settle for an 18:40 at the moment!

Philip - that story kinda encapsulates what parkrun is all about. I was reading about the positive effects that the prison parkruns are having. Oddly, they were wearing numbers in the accompanying photograph.

My back has been really painful this week, but I went for a very slow, but hilly 10 today with a loaded pack in preparation for the Langdale Horseshoe fell race next Saturday, and both the back and the hip were fine, oddly.  So, I actually made a decision and booked a B&B for next weekend. I was originally intending to race today (Bradenham Bolt), but a work black-tie do in Guildford left me seriously hungover and knackered yesterday, so I needed a lie-in today! The alternative run was actually very nice and saved me £20!

Ric - best of luck for when you get the results. Impressive 20 by the way!
  • Good parkrun Phil and sounds like a very good xc opener Pete!

Sutton pk on Saturday for the relays. As you know the course is a bitch with the hills at the start. It's only 5.88k but feels longer. I went out 2nd leg, struggled at the start but felt a tiny bit better as we got along the top to the jubilee stone. Our first leg runner did just over 18 mins, so I got overtaken by about 12 runners.

Ended up with 19.23 (19.18 on my watch) which is the same as the southerns at Crystal Palace. My Saucony A8'S felt really flat, need to get some racers I think.

Scotty - Hoka's not arrived yet, hopefully soon. Love them though. They look normal, really bouncy and so much lighter than the Adidas Glide Boost. A real lucky find (until they obviously discontinue them!)

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    i think if the vaporflys were £20 instead of £220 most would be more open to the idea and buy a pair.  but because of the price it puts some off and maybe question the reviews.  what nike have done from a marketing point of view is excellent...they limit supply of them and then when a fresh batch are online they sell out quickly in most sizes causing panic buying by some.   they swap hands on ebay for £300+  
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Thanks Bus. I cycled 56 miles into the Chilterns yesterday as well.

Shoe stuff. 

Muddy, did you really do that to a pair of shoes in only 300 miles?

Here's a couple of pics of shoes I've been using. 

The studs I used all last winter over all sorts of surfaces.
    I've actually run the last couple of 20 mile runs in the things. I usually run off road, but I've probably run over 100 miles of road with these as well. Not much wear so far (the wear bars are still there)

The other things are Asics Flame racers. 150 grms in weight, I've only trained in them so far. Strange looking sole. Seems to grip like anything. Not sure how these wear down, the material seems solid.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Is that a Fellraiser Ric?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    30min threshold job today, aiming for 6.01, which is around 1.30 lap aim.

Probably went into this thinking it'd be "easier" than the recent Tue sessions.
    Didn't feel easy, but probably because only 2 laps came out 1.30 or higher, meaning in reality it was a bit quicker than target.

1.27x1
    1.28x10
    1.29x5
    1.30x1
    1.32x1

Bit of a concentration lapse on that last one, but back on track straight after.
  • Decent session again. Clobber wise, Scotty is sending me some Hoka Tracer as the ones I wanted have been changed into some 'leisure trainer'..as you do! Bit lighter, but may mean I don't have to fork out on the yearly Adios.

• - Solid Wood Dining Table Set Uk -

Absolutely gorgeous Solid Wood dining tables . Have a look at the Facebook page called Solid Wood Furniture

---------------------
    solidwooddiningtable (.) co (.) uk
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Are these tables solid wood though?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I completely misread it as being "alehouse" on the notifications, which is always a treat to see he's popped in.

Then realise it's some spamming gimp
    (aluf'''&~;'@'. not Dachs or Simon obvs ;) )
  • Stevie G said:

Pete- I makes you right, prices and other versions will emerge. I read Muddy's link, and while the evidence generally sweeps that they are faster, it's impossible to quantify how much, as like the Datchet boys, there's also other stuff going on, like much improved training.

The study attempts to eradicate 'other stuff, like much improved training' by looking at improvements for people that were shoe switchers. The study makes the assumption that there is a similar training breakdown in each group of switchers (i.e. some train hard, some train less).  The Vaporfly switching folks improved more on average.  There may be reason to suppose that the group that switched to Vaporfly took training more seriously (based on amount of ££s to spend on shoes) than the other groups of course. But if you look at this thread there's a spread of opinion on how much to spend on shoes, but no similar spread of commitment.

I agree completely that it's uniquely personal as to how much you improve with them, but in my case it was about 15s a mile at marathon effort round my standard work lunchtime circuit, comparing a couple of runs two days apart, same conditions. 

Also Pete, to put it in context, it's rare that I get more than 300 miles out of any pair of trainers, so yeah RicF 300 miles on those. I run a lot of tracks with flinty stones etc in road shoes and they get cut up easily. I reserve the trail shoes for when it's muddy out.  I wear them out on one side too - always have - that's biomechanics for you. Your mechanics are obviously very good Ric, and I'm guessing I'm on the heavier side compared to you, given my height, so putting a lot more into the ground.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    15 seconds a MILE?!
    That's slightly more than my running shop bud estimated. His take being more 1-2secs a mile over a half :)

I'd be all over that sort of improvement, even if it was a "mere" 7.5 secs per mile over a half :)

If they can come down in hype and price, and increase in availability for spring half season,then maybe :)

The only controlled experiment would be you running the same effort, conditions, day, feelings in 2 pairs of shoes at the same time. Regrettably until cloning takes place that can't happen :(
  • Nice threshold session SG.

I did a gentle threshold session today, 5 x 1km at LT pace, 1 minute rest. I say gentle but I am tired from a few days training, too much time on my hands at the moment. Opener was a bit sluggish 3:49 but the rest were 3:40-3:44. Race pace will be in the 4:xx region so no need to push any faster right now.