Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Last 3 week session pre GSR then

4x1600 at Threshold (3min),m 6x200 (200m), 2miles 1.55 lap through to 1.20

Felt HOT on the first two reps, as in temp, not paces, so lost the vest. Meaning it obviously then started raining, making me look a little odd - shirtless in heavy rain. However, cooled me a treat

1.28 lap aim, so

1.26x1, 1.27x3
    1.27x2, 1.28x2
    1.26x2, 1.27x1, 1.28x1
    1x2.6x3, 1.28x1

Digging through the exact splits, and adding 2 secs to make 1600 to the mile, those would be the equivalent of 5.51-5.54-5.52-5.51 miles

200s

1x35, 4x36, 1x37

Then supposed to be 8 laps quickening by 5 seconds a lap from 7.45 pace to 1.21 lap finale. I aimed for simple 1.55 down to 1.20 for ease.

Surprisingly hard to get the slow laps at the right pace, and keep concentration.

Thought I'd done it fairly well, but on checking after, I've obviously missed the 1.45 lap :)

Doesn't really matter I suppose - not the most critical lap ever to miss, as the aim is progression, and hit the last 3 laps almost spot on.

11 miles all in! Even doing a couple of laps after the clock was switched off to counter the over estimating distance tendency of the watch on a track.

• Cheers for all the messages, I think I knew it myself but good to hear everyone else has the same opinion! My coach said he was completely expecting the session to go wrong! It was ridiculously windy, the one small hill in the park was directly into it.

That's a great session SG, when's GSR? 12m easy for me tomorrow. Will turn the pace off on my watch and just run completely to HR
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    The weather here in Ambleside has been atrocious.  I went to the start of the race in Langdale this morning and sat in the car trying to decide whether or not to do it. In the end, discretion became the better part of valour. Although mild, the rain was torrential and unceasing and the tops were all in clag. So, I abandoned ten minutes before the off. I am glad I did, as I went for a much shorter run up Pike O'Blisco and it has horrendous up on the tops, with gale force winds added into the mix as well as streams and rivers in full spate. Hats off to those brave/bonkers souls who took it on!

The drive back was interesting too - many roads flooded, with vehicles stranded.  I took some comfort in thinking I would do a long fell run tomorrow instead, as the forecast was good,  but that has now changed and its likely to be just as bad!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    And the bloody car has broken down!!!!
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Was going to say it never rains but it pours, but not sure you would appreciate the turn of phrase in the circs Bus!

Sounds a nightmare all round. Hope you get it sorted very soon.  
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Thanks Pete. It's not all doom and gloom - currently in a good pub drinking decent beer ☺
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Wish I was!; night off booze pre Cabbage Patch in the downpours expected tomorrow. Reading to London via Twick line down too so have to drive. That takes away the usual pleasure of a few beers in the eponymous pub after whilst watching the prize giving and hoping to win a bike or garmin in the raffle. Will have to wait till the evening then to catch up on the booze🙂

Pretty poor pr today btw. 19'00 at Rushmoor (uusal 2 second round up by pr taking away even the sub 19) but was quite wet and windy I suppose. 
  • I see the Ironman in Kona has happened. I've followed a few and the results are not what they were hoping for but not also not too bad. I reckon it is pretty hard running a marathon after a 6 hour warm up.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Great session SG.

In deference to the level of importance you give to hitting the numbers, would you concede that a session in conditions such as right now, not getting the desired numbers, would count as a failure?

Tough conditions Bus. I went out on the bike yesterday morning intending to take on a Strava segment to the highest spot in the Chilterns. I'd gone around ten miles when it rained - a lot. So I did what you did and went home.

Planning to go out in the rain soon enough. A double Helly works well along with a peaked cap in such weather.  

Good luck with the Cabbage Patch, Pete. 

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Unlucky all round there Bus! Must be a real ahole to be at a race but not do it.

Ric don't get me wrong, ill use disclaimers if i need to! Tracks are often windy for instance, but it's surprising how infrequently that actually affects the session overall.

Obvs if it's super bad you have to just deal with it.
    Today for eg I've just done a 12 at 7.25 Pace.
    I can say for sure that's a mixture of yesterday's session and the heavy rain today!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Have a good un Pete. Weather and lack of trains has caused a couple of dashers to pull out.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    quick guest appearance.....

SG - shocking wet dsy down here today, good job GSR is next week. I'm not doing GSR but have a Gosport entry, although last year Gosport was a rare still day, so i cant see that happening two years in a row.

Steve Wh - im the first to say that if you have a coach or a plan (eg P and D), then you should have faith in the plan (eg it presses my buttons when folks say P and D doesnt have enough long runs - its about the plan in total)........but you being set 10m at mp 1 week out was a big ask, 10m at mp is a tough session. Its good that you binned it off, id struggle to do it too, you are just burning a load of matches you are better off saving for race day.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Ric - several pages ago now. Sorry, thanks.

Nought wrong with conditions in Slough today. PB conditions in fact :-).

Just the most surreal experience running down the closed A4, lead car just ahead, trio of Dashers close to the front. But no spectators. Good, fast course. Shame it’ll probably never happen again - £8k to close the roads, only 700 entries. Real shame.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Another great run then Wool; congrats on that; take it the wonder-shoes were a feature again! Did Slough HM ever get themselves onto RB/Po10? I think if you don't that really hits your numbers these days, at least for runners at the sharp end.

Another fine training session SG; you must be desperate for the actual race to come round by now ;)

So Cabbage Patch 10 miler today and we were pretty lucky with the weather. Torrential rain driving down the M3 to Twickenham but it abated for the actual race then tipped down again straight after. Set off with an ambitious 3'42 1st k but then got into the swing of it with several k all just under 4 to hit half way in 31'30. Got harder then as the course goes off road onto the Thames path for a while (muddy in places) then you have a brief climb up to Richmond bridge which is energy sapping. I got overtaken after 3k by my Japanese club colleague (now AFD 1st claim as he likes being part of the v50 Southern relays champs team :)) Kept him in my sights though and gradually closed back on him in the last 2 or 3k. The problem was I was still slowing, just not as much as him. Stayed like that till the end and I finished 66th in 64'21 with him a few seconds in front. So a pretty satisfactory result given my recent struggles to do a decent time over longer distances. I've done CP10 lots of times now and that must be about average for all my efforts there.

Great race as ever with lots of freebies in the goody bag like a long sleeved technical top and some craft beer; Scott Overall only 2nd in 54'00; beaten by nearly 3 minutes by the winner a Leeds AC guy. That club mate of Ric's,Nigel Rackham is something else; 11th in 56'29 and he is about my age; over 92% WAVA :o
  • Cheers TR, i see you are doing Abo as well, might see you there.

Great running Pete and Wool.

Just off for 12m now the rain has stopped. Watched the Birmingham Half this morning. The girlfriend got a couple of good pics of Muddy!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Good racing chaps - heard the Slough half was delayed for 30mins due to an accident, which must have been a massive ass!

Nice pb Wool. Expected though, in your form :D

But a pb in what sounds like very small numbers in and around your pace makes it all the better. Would have been easy to drop off, especially with very few spectators outside of the park. Is it that unlikely a race again? Depends how many "Incidents" like the Range Rover ignoring road closures (as per fb page) happened I suppose.

Shame Chris didn't wear the magic shoes at Tadley, wanted to see how'd he do versus the Windsor 10mile split. I suppose by the time you throw in the conditions, hills, and then not wearing "The" shoes, it's easy for time to slide. Once you get the benefit from the magic shoes, I suppose you have to always wear them or you'll feel underpar? Similar to how we'd all feel if we wore mileage trainers rather than racers?

Solid one Pete, one of those races I always say I'll do again, but the years race up fast, and it sells out so fast (making it a little irritating to see people bottling it just because it's wet!)

TR, yes definitely, let's hope for a decent day! However, it is what it is, and however the weather comes out, I dare say I'll do better with this 2month block done then without I suppose!

It was only a few years ago that I was doubting whether i'd ever be able to race again, let alone the longer distance races that distance from home - so I'm simply grateful to be able to be doing such a big time feel event.

I'll put in what I have on the day, but have to remember the bigger picture for sure!

ps TR, in the back of my mind I have thought about Gosport, but it's so easy to just mentally enter loads of races - a lot different to do them. Let's see if GSR goes really well...and even then I've not gone over 12 miles for about 4-5weeks! 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Steve Wh - yes im at Abo, hopefully we'll be running a similar pace.

SG - agreed, see how you feel after GSR.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Thanks chaps. I feel like I’m in decent form, shame I’m now going to destroy myself in Snowdonia!

I saw that FB post SG, I saw no issues on the course but the number of road closures in place was unbelievable. As for my race, I ran with Jill and Wayne for the opening 5k and then hooked up with another 2 guys from about 5 - 10 miles (after Jill remembered that I can’t keep up with her in training and realised she shouldn’t be behind me in a race!). They slowed down around 9 miles and I had to say farewell. There was nothing they could do about the delay, we saw the accident - a Ford Focus on its roof in the middle of the A4 in Slough at 8:30 on a Sunday morning. God only knows what they were up to!

Not sure what to say about the shoes. I do love them. Jill was amazed by her first run in them. 79 for her, 81 for me, 83 for Wayne. 2nd fastest ever, PB, PB. We’re all in top shape, clearly 😀.

Solid run there Pete. I love the Cabbage Patch, it’s a great race. I think it sold out very early this year - back when I was still injured and wasn’t entering anything. I was thinking about you today as I ran past Upton and realised I was running about as fast as my normal parkrun pace, which shows how crap I am on a Saturday morning. You smash them out quick every week, honestly don’t know how you do it!

When is Gosport and when would I need to enter by, just wondering?!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

The three of you are certainly going well, and it wouldn't be fair to divert too much of that to the shoes. I think Wayne can get down to your time with the right mix versus his cycling, and you and Jill can take time off too.

Gosport is 18th Nov. I haven't actually done this version, as apparently now it's a straight 2 lapper, rather than the old course which had a few miles at the start and end, with a 2 lap bit round an airfield.

Would imagine it's not an enter on day job, as it never used to be, so probably a week or so before latest? TR might know better

When's Snowdonia is probably the key question!

For now though, i'll think about this 10miler. I remember this distance as being more like a long 10k, rather than a short half, and that great feeling when you're 6/7miles is that you're almost home, rather than just about half way! 

When this is done I might just have a few weeks of "freedom" - maybe doing some of these Datchet sessions I've seen pop up and know I can't do them!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    New Gosport course is much better, effectively 2 laps of up and down the seafront, lots of running in straight lines, but.......massively at the mercy of the weather. You cant enter on the day anymore. I scraped in last yr about 3 weeks before the race, so it will probably close soon.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Checked their site, it's getting close, but still around 300 or so spaces.

October 12th:  Entries have now reached 1700. The limit of 2000 will be reached before the end of October. Cancellation of entries with a 70% refund or a deferral to next year’s race will be permitted until the race is full.

• muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    There are no such things Stevie ! Where was that ? I hope it wasn’t when I stopped for a pee in Cannon Hill Park  :# You'll be able to blackmail me for a pair of Vaporflys! 

Horrible conditions and I’d been unable to take on food beforehand (awake half the night with a dodgy stomach, possibly care of a parkrun cafe breakfast) and struggled with the last couple of miles. Still, I think I came in around 1.19.40 ish, which is my fastest on that course by a couple of mins maybe? May well have been a tactical error to put in a considerable 50 mile week with a marathon effort parkrun the day before as I couldn't catch a v45 competitor after my pitstop.

Another fine session Stevie. But topless !? In this weather ? (Not that there is any weather in which I would consider shirt off running. Maybe one of those l things that once you try you gain a new found sense of liberation. Like nudist beaches)

Well done to Wool on the pb and to Pete on what sounds like a tough Cabbage Patch run. Commiserations to Bus on being foiled by the elements.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Gosport is a tricky one to call; I've entered nearly every year in the last 10 but only run 3 (1st two not on Po10 for some reason). Nearly all the 'no shows' were down to the weather; mostly gale force winds which change a fast course to a nightmare one (did the old Daedulus airfield one SG refers to twice and once the wind blew my number right off, so wasted about 2 mins retrieving it and pinning it back on!). Not worth a 150 mile round trip to run in those conditions.

Might enter again as could do with a respectable half for the year (only one being Fleet straight after injury) but, though its quite a cheap race, its still a waste if you have little prospect of running it. 

I'm even more a believer in those Vaporfly's now Wool; you Jill and Wayne are all in superb form, but the Vf's nust be a contributor to such great times too🙂
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Ah Pete - one of those always dreaded race nightmares, up there with needing a #2 midway, your chip not working, or laces coming undone.

I'm sorry, I had to chuckle at you running off route into bushes or somewhere chasing your number :)

I think i'd have just left it and hoped some explaining later sorted it out!

From my 2 Gosport trips in June and Sep, over the 3 races, I had wind ranging from fairly strong, to incredibly strong (mile race into it!). Over a half marathon I can imagine how soul destroying that wind would be if it was into your face and strong.

Presumably the race is on the road, rather than the pavement/prom like my mile and 2 x 5ks? So you'd have a less strong version than the 3 races I did?

Muddy - like with the shoes - don't knock it before you try it! That threshold zone at times seems to bring my body temp to absolute max, unlike faster shorter work. A quick vest extraction and job done.

Different vibe in races. But we all know the race day magic!

ps, another in your stable of decent turnouts, especially with all that stuff going on. Needing a pee in a race has got to be an unusual one hasn't it? Most of us are draining that last drop until seconds before the start :)

(obvs I imagine Ric to be routinely lashing the Ruislip/Harrow general type area's plants on mere training runs with his hydration plan)

• WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the Gosport info and apols for my laziness, I could have checked for myself! Been watching your comeback on the sub3 thread TR, hope you break 3 at Abo. Part of me wishes I was there with you after my experience of last year.

Pete reminds me that I once drove to Gosport HM feeling half dead with a cold and DNF at 5 miles. Now that was a waste of a day pass at home! I shouldn’t enter, shouldn’t....
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

I've entered it 3 times, but in 2012 I managed to put my back out days before, and ended up with a rare DNS.
    Such a let down both being on for a big pb, and the legendary Moraghan being there - have still only met him once in the 8.5 years (how long? :o:o of this thread!)

2010 I remember I had a bit of a cold that took the top edge off

2013 Was a big ask, to try and match or better my 1.15.41 at Wokingham in Feb, and I just remember drifting off pace on the airfields. My pen pic on here is from that race - the expression and barren nature of the course well shown!

Was good to meet Lit for only one of two times,  see her do a great pb, and share a meal like a dignified proper person after :)

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Sub 1'20 very impressive Muddy, especially with a pit stop!

Gosport is now a 2 lapper; out about 3.5 miles on the prom, back 3 on adjacent road then reverse the distances but same idea. All right by the coast and horrendous into the wind if its up, especially the last 3.5 mile section. That said I may well still enter on the off chance of getting a decent weather day!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    As Pete said pavement on the way out and prom on way back but they are only a short distance apart and will both be massively wind affected. Im a local so i don't waste a trip if its windy. I did Worthing 1/2 in Feb snd it had a 3mile out and then 3m back on seafront into a gale and it ruined my time.

Cheers Wool - its humbling trying to get back to it after a year out injured, especially as a V50, but id like to get back as close to 80min and sub3 as i can. Im calling it phase 2, and a new set of PBs.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Wool, good man. 

I generally accept that when SG hints at curtailing a subject, it's curtailed. The Ringmaster rules.

(obvs I imagine Ric to be routinely lashing the Ruislip/Harrow general type area's plants on mere training runs with his hydration plan)  Cheek!

My hydration plan for races remains a definitive example of how to avoid needing to unleash 'during'.

Drink as much as you like before the race but absolutely nothing at all in the space between two hours and 5 minutes from the off.

Excess fluid would be off loaded in the two hours - with no more going through the kidneys.
    5 minutes from the start, you can drink again. That fluid won't go through the kidneys since they shut down under race effort. 

As for long runs...I'm out to build and avoid damage. I'll stop as I need to. 

Well done too on the races Wool, Muddy, Pete.

Combination of race experiences from The Cabbage Patch and Gosport.

Cabbage Patch 1997 - hitting 5 miles in 26:49 and then getting undone by a #2. Ended up with 55:29 with a guy I'd overtaken earlier (who finished 8th) running 54:45. I never beat that time.

Gosport HM. Charging down south at the last minute to toe the line, blowing up and walking from 11 miles but still getting sub 80 mins. An odd event where after I crossed the line, a guy who followed me in, thought I should receive a face full for not running the whole way.

Screaming, "You're supposed to 'f..ing run, not walk". 

One of those occasions when I had a reply. "Actually I was leading until I tore a hamstring, but thanks all the same". 

He apologised a few minutes later. Fun times!

🙂

• I've not had to stop like that before Stevie (and Ric) so yeah unusual. Probably because I had a lot of sugary tea before the race as I couldn't get any solid food down due to some GI distress. Thought it was all dealt with  but once my bladder started bouncing around  it was another story.