Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

2018 Personal Highlights - as many as you like
    • 5k time, 16.56 2nd fastest of my 60 or so

A lot of the year was enjoying turning out a lot, and for positions and teams, so top of this lot I have to include a 2nd fastest 5k ever. 3 seconds off the all time pb . That was the first go at Battersea Park, and on a warm summer evening it just happened, a 3.15 out of the blocks, and held on well. I went into it knowing I was on for a good time, having done the 16.51 at Marlow "5k". Yes it was a bit short, but with some rough/grass sections, I knew with a full flat smooth BP, I had every chance of getting sub 17, and so it proved!

• Half marathon - 3rd fastest of my 27 - 1.17.11 at Wokingham

Just a massively re-assuring day all round, and like pure justification for keeping going.  Up there with some of my best ever halfs - only 8secs off the 2nd best I'd done, but felt so much better than the last one almost 3 years previously!

A great day, being both a Datchet club champ race, and having the gang drive up with Bus and Phil.

• Race tourism

I always wanted years ago to do a bit of race tourism, so it was good to get back to it properly this year. I literally wrote a massive list of potential races down, and just made sure I committed to some.

Chalking off the "Northern race" I'd bored on about for years was excellent, and 17.00 there in a huge quality field was a real experience. People shouting animatedly on the sidelines, ex Olympians in the field, it felt a real experience.
    Managing a "it'll only fall this way once ever" triple combo of combining it round a United game, plus the Salford game/meet up with Aley was an incredible combo all in. Just missed the sub 17, on a fairly windy in places course, but a 17.00 justified the trip. United losing 3-0 to Tottenham didn't ruck it up either :)

• Murder Mile -  Just such a marvellous cult classic sort of race. Small field, obscure location, ludicrous premise - a 680 feet climb over a mile. Add in the absolute japery of getting there dead on the supposed start time, and you gots yourself a memorable event.

This pic sums it all up

And this one sums up the sort of terrain in those there parts

Whereas this one adds nothing more than me asking where the cwmfelinfach I am

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Battersea Park races - was delighted to have 3 trips down there this year, buddying up with a few Dashers over the trips. The first one gave me that 16.56, but even the 17.14 wasn't a disaster. The relay was probably the most enjoyable one, as the mood was more relaxed, and still got a 4.57 in - 1sec off my pb.

Always good to meet fellow forumites too, and good to see Joe Bloggs there, as well as Gaz from the local scene at the earlier 5k. Would have said hello to the other part of Team JB too, but some clown had stopped our 3 man squad to get us to do some stupid "Boomerang" thing, where we all looked like absolute chumps.

• South coast jaunts. Loved the Gosport trips as always, even if the wind ranged from very heavy on the mile, to fairly heavy in places on the 5k, to "so heavy i'm gonna be blown into the sea" on the prom at the last 5k!
      Made a couple of pals from the local club down there now, which helps a lot when you're making these mad solo trips!

I still enjoyed the GSR trip and big race feel too, even if we know that didn't pan out amazingly in the end. Was also good to end my 10mile hoodoo after about 6years without one.

• General Club scene stuff

Really enjoy having a mass of like minded Dasher clubmates. Loads of top people, and really competitive runners too. It's actually exceeded what I was looking for when I joined. Sometimes I know I need to do my own thing training wise to hit my aims, but it's good to have sessions pre-quoted that you can slip in and out of.
    Have slowly increased my participation over the 18months I've been there, and actually even drove 40mins to join one of their nights out. Me! The day before a 15miler!

Obviously got a bit too hyped up, as 10mins into my drive back, a 15 mile drive, I actually ended up 30miles away. And then left my car door wide open all night :) All on a few glasses of….pineapple juice!!

2018 Personal Lowlights - as many as you can force yourself to go over

• GSR was underwhelming , mostly as I'd put a complete 2month focus into just this one race. I'll always say the weather affected me, but I probably didn't quite "Believe" in the training as much as other run ups, despite hitting all paces as required on it. Biggest mistake was making that the sole race as per Phil's post at the time. That would have cleared up how much was conditions and how much general fitness issues.
    • The late year XCs didn't feel overly strong. Certainly not compared to the early year ones. May be a perception, as the standard has gone up, and it can be a good leveller, but felt darn hard work. Led me to think I'd entered a bit of run down territory. Handy Cross felt especially bad. It's always a tough course that can average at dribble pace, but head to heads are head to heads - and coming 9th home for the club, the first time I hadn't made the 6 scorers felt very disappointing. Losing to 2 I'd never lost to before, and making it 10 different dashers I'd lost to over the series!
    • Probably too few turnouts on the road above 5k.  Just 3 - 5m, 10m, HM
    • I remember being disappointed at losing to a young club mate at the Burnham 5k, despite coming 5th. However, when you turn out more often it can happen, and I took note his best 5k of the summer was 30secs slower than mine, despite having a crack at Battersea Park.
    • Marlow 5m could have been a bit faster, but that was a warm day, and was pleased to see a clubmate off late doors.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

2018 Poster of the year

Pete - for that calming almost uncle like re-assurance that everything is fine, despite the odd bad race and general good balance to comments. Keen turning out every week is to be applauded, as is turning up at a lot of races that I'm at!

2018 Thread performance(s) of the year

Dean has to win this one - it'd be a stretch to see anyone rival the big time wins. Actually has years more improvement to come as he goes back up the distances!

Simon I think comes right up there though, as he doesn't get the credit he deserves for some terrific performances week in week out though. I think there's a bit of a tendency to penalise him for volume, when in reality it's incredible consistency all year.

Shout out for the super vets on here too!

2018 Favourite Thread quirk of the year (a few examples)

Has to be Ric, for the anecdotes and the changing mind on things, but forgetting the original.

The scuffles he gets involved in over on clubhouse make great viewing too, though I fear someone will "end" him if he's not too careful!

2018 Thread moment of the year

Has to be Ric denying mentioning the Tuna Baguettes more than once  :D

2019 Aims & targets (as wide a scale as you like, from specific times, to doing a certain race, mileage target, or just staying running!)

• Threaten the pbs, at least at 5k
    • Do more than one 5m/10k in a whole year (!)
    • Do a faster 10miler than this year
    • Do a new race
    • Do a new distance, or at least one not done for years - 3k, 7m etc
    • Keep up the race hoons
    • Win some stuff
    • Have another pleasing year of mileage and races
    • Enjoy more club occasions - with Endure 24, and the 12 stages back, plus the vet relay, hopefully weather doesn't call any off this year!
    • Keep as keen as I've been all these years
    • Outsider one - a foreign race

2019 One to Watch

When Matt H said he'd done a 5miler starting with a low 28:xx, but a few years back, it leapt out from the page. A really young chap still, that shows his potential.

Reggie - putting more into the running, and less into the lesser sports ;) can only see him go one way, pending injuries. This year at Wokingham, I expect him to zoom off into the disto, or if he comes up on my shoulder, not disappear backwards.

Stevie Who/Andy D - so few years in, so few miles - only one way to go - and that's to ImprovementVille.

Ok that's more than one, but allow it! If you're still reading this far down post 4 ;)

2019 One you'd like to read more from next year  ( I won't include the opposite in case you weasels say me )

Joe Bloggs - something about this lad just emanates pure positivity and adventure - and we need more of that on this thread. Needs to be more regular on here.

Open category - suggested thread improvements etc

We could do with a few more regulars, or at least semi regulars.

Or failing that, hot single women who have a thing for absolute anorak obsessives who love their running and jibber jabbering about it ;)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

….. a mere 4 posts, what a bargain!

• Sorry SG. Misunderstood: didn't realise we were supposed to write a page for each subheading. Must do better.
    And well "summarised"!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
      alehouse said:
    Sorry SG. Misunderstood: didn't realise we were supposed to write a page for each subheading. Must do better.
    And well "summarised"!
    32 races was never going to a quick summary B)
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    blimey SG, imagine what the post will be like when DD win the 12 stage in 2019!

I’ve been running for 10 years, I’m 45 years old, I ran 1940 miles this year - my lowest since 2011 and yet I ran a PB at 5k, 5m, and HM. I suppose 1940 isn’t too bad given that by the end of April I’d only run 320 or so. June - Dec has been a pretty special running time for me with some very special feelings along the way. Running the last mile of the Windsor HM down the Long Walk amongst family and friends was really up there as an experience. Walking the last 4 miles of the Snowdonia marathon a lowlight. Don’t run marathons untrained!

I enjoy joy reading what goes on here and I feel great pride in having converted SG from admonisher to experimenter with VaporFly. I feel that I can relate to a lot of what Bus posts here, living on the knife edge of injury. 

I’d love to get through 2019 without injury but so few years that happens. I’d love to get a V45 team together for the Masters relays but that’s a minefield of club politics so we’ll see. Another sub 18 5k, another sub 30 5m, a sub 81 HM and another sub 3 mara might make all those miles in the dark worthwhile. They’ll have to invent the 5% shoes though to make all that happen so I’d take still being happy and healthy in 365 days time.

Have fun folks. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Nice one Wool. Did get swept up in the reminiscing there :)

I even forgot to mention doing that 20miler in March, having been persuaded to finally get on Strava. That was a pretty significant part of the year, as it led to a month or so of mad monsterings round town!

Am I right in thinking the V45 is only a 4 man team, whereas the V35 is 6?

We could put really good teams out in both if everyone was available! The latter depending on whether you could get McHarg for the V45 rather than the younger lot nicking.

It's certainly the best variant of the Sutton Park courses. Shortest, and doesn't include that real steep down that you have to get back up before thinking about the main steep up!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Wool said:
    . Don’t run marathons untrained!

fixed this bit
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Yep, only 4 in the V45 team. Going to ask James if I can approach Mark F. If that’s ok I’ll have 3 (Jessopp, Mark, me) and we can go from there. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

James? Is he bossing it?

Just trying to see how it could pan out..

If we could get 6 from this 10, we'd have a pretty excellent team

Samson/Lee/Bayliss/Foster/Wayne/Black/Me/McHarg/Bradfield/Long*

*Long shows as senior on PO10 for 2018, but has a V35 at the top of his profile, so should be safe by half way into next year!

Not sure if Duncan , a new guy is that age range too...

That's 11 names, add yourself and the two V45s, that's 14, and then you have Seb/Illot/Hunt/Shaun.

Jonny, Nathan (who has disappeared when injured), Big boy Phil, and perhaps others, and you're looking at over 20 into that 12.

Glad i'm not picking!! Could you imagine the adrenaline of a proper set to at a 5k race between the 20odd, first 12 get in :D

• Epic review SG!

Got an email for the M'head 10, I'm no running historian but I think there's a couple errors here.

• Well spotted, Reg!
    Steve Jones plus lots under 50 most years. Chris Thompson ran under 47 this year if I remember correctly. And he's a vet 35.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    What a bizarre error to make when phil wicks alone must have gone sub 50 at least 3 times at the maidenhead 10 itself in the last 10-12 years. :dizzy:

First time i did it i remember seeing him so far ahead it literally looked like he was in a different race.
  • Well my race went pretty well tonight, a course best and season's best of 34.53. The race starts as dusk slinks in over an amazing hubbub from the approx. 10000 runners. I am in the front sub 37 pen and after a brief countdown I am caught up in mad scenes as everyone steams off.  It took a while to get going - it was dodging and weaving and looking down at my feet for the first mile. But still that comes in at 5.28. Through the 5k marker in 17.35, and I could just about see the 35 min pacer and set myself on a mission to catch him. I felt stronger as the race went on, and the runners thinned out into the night. Finally caught the pacer at the 9.5km marker on the turn into the final straight, which was lined with lots of funnels, including smoke and a light show so you are not quite sure when the actual finish occurs. So all you can do is keep digging in until you see runners stopped in front of you. Great race - really enjoyed it.

I'm going to have a couple of beers and think about that end of year review now. Enjoying them all so far.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Stevie G said:

Are you doing the Lydiard plan or something!? That's a quite amazing mileage. The challenge is not to follow it up with a 10-15 day spell doing nothing.

Keep; it going son.

Happy new year everyone  :)

Great reading through all of the reviews. Sort of relieved I've escaped censure on this occasion though after revealing my reasons for visits to the 'Clubhouse' to SG, I guess I'll get some flack from that quarter.

Not following the Lydiard plan. That included elements of speedwork even in the base building stage. All I do is go from one place to another for a while before going home.

Finally put down 674 km on Strava. Shame that I accidentally deleted another 15km during one run when messing about stop/starting the watch. Garmin US was unaware the autostop on the Forerunner 30 didn't work due to a software fault. Unaware if that issue has been resolved.

Just checked Strava. Seems I've topped the list for my age group for the UK. Could hardly believe it when one of the UK participants ran marathons on consecutive days. 
    He must have thought that got him well clear.

However I'd already run far enough to beat his total, but didn't upload the runs until it was too late for him to do anything about it.  :D

Just a bit of fun.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Muddy great time. Having a 35min pacer shows what calibre of race it was, wowzers! Presume there weren't quicker pacers than that!?

Ric, I'm certain there will be rivals in that leader board thinking, this guy did 14 back to back then 38 over two days?! That's not exactly normal v55(?) behaviour 😄
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ps have i only just realised on the ☎i can unlock way more smilees then the limited version in the drop down?
    😱💩💩🐤🐏
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    That's a swift 10k casually reported on, Muddy, well done.

Impressive mileage again Ric, other than just enjoying running about, do you have any plans to put all this to the test?

My planned session today was 8 miles with 20 minutes LT, 4 minute jog, 18 minutes LT. Not often you get a Parkrun on a Tuesday that coincides prefectly with a session like this so I had to take advantage.

Planned a decent route last night to get the first 20 minutes done on the way, left at 10:02 with 4.2 miles or so to cover. Shame it was slightly uphill and into the wind but thankfully the breeze wasn't too strong. After a mile warm-up, I really wasn't up for it but once I got going it was ok, felt slow but a glance at the watch had me at 6:00 pace, slipped to 6:10 but when I turned out of the wind the pace picked up and I finished the first interval with 6:03 average. As I arrived in the park, I heard the familar tannoy & clapping.

Jogged around in circles for the four minutes and I was off again. A few good runners were there, a few youngsters and Mr Corney, the top guy at Dachs' club. I was well down in about 15th place though and despite there being two girls ahead, remained in the corrcect HR zone. I told myself this is what proper runners do, turn up at Parkrun and don't worry about the vanity of results, keep your eye on the main goal. Felt pretty comfy actually and being in a PR made it so much easier to keep the effort up on the second interval. About a mile in I noticed a club mate ahead, decided I'd probably push the needle to get past him if he remained in range near the end.

One guy had come past earlier wearing tights so I decided to put that wrong right and that took me closer to my clubmate, came onto his shoulder as we went round the final bend and as he attempted a sprint I said hello and he quit on the sprint. Finished in 9th in 18:00. I had to really, it was an 18 minute interval! HR average was bang-on too, albeit I crept over a bit towards the end.

I assume this is my lowest finish in a Parkrun but then I've never done one like this before. Even got chicked with the first lady running 17:3x and RC winning in 15:56. Even a PB would have only given me 5th today. Pretty happy with that, 6.4 miles at sub 6 pace and 8.6 miles in total.

HNY everyone.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good work Reg - loving the nice, precise 18 mins :smile:

Cracking 10k that Muddy - nice!

Bloody hell SG - that was a read and a half!

Nearly went out earlier, but feeling rubbish today and after a sunny morning, I opened the door to a cold drizzle and went back to bed! Will try again later.

Oh, and happy new year and all that stuff :smile:
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Great time there Muddy, really well done. Where was the race? Presume abroad somewhere. Mega volumes there Ric and SG; will serve you well. Good tempo and pr Reg; did you see many losers and addicts there?😉

Enjoying the end year reports and will get mine done tomorrow hopefully if I can get all the stats together. 

Today was the double or of course; daughter and I enjoyed Maidenhead and Woodley last year but M'head pushed forward to 8.30 start which IMO is pointless and too early so we had to re-think. After much mind changing we were at Bracknell/Woodley late last night but then realised they were both 10.30😂 So end result was Old Deer (Richmond) and Crane. The former I had only done once over 5 gears ago and now remember why! The most boring course around being 3 laps of football pitches and all on grass. 4th in 19'04 not too bad but had wanted two sub 19's so slightly disappointed. On to Crane, a much nicer course alongside the river but a packed turnout of almost 500 (usually about 180 there). Most prob on their 2nd after Bushy. Manic start on a narrow section but emerged about 20th after 500m and gradually improved to end up 13th in 18'53. Very pleased with that one and 2nd consecutive year I've gone quicker on the 2nd of the NYD double. Daughter also quicker on her 2nd🙂

So we both completed the 5 festive period parkrun which must make us very sad cases indeed eh Reg🤫
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Right, end of year report....

2,300.8M and 221,287ft of ascent (just for SG!)

2018 Races (Tally/breakdown)

12 (8 parkruns, 1 fell, 1 trail, 2 road)

2018 Achievements 

Nothing of any note other than still being able to run and possibly overtaking a few on the "Mother Dune" in that beach 10k on hols!

2018 Personal Lowlights

Turning 50, then 5 days later on my 50th parkrun, not even managing to be fastest V50!

Sitting in the car-park of the Old Dungeon Ghyll in Storm Callum after an 8 hour journey, only to chicken out of the Langdale Fell Race with ten minutes to the off.

2018 Personal Highlights

The day after – car had broken down and I was stuck in Ambleside in the rain, but then the sun came out and, having not done Langdale the day before, I had the legs to do a fantastic run in the mountains in beautiful weather – the ying to the yang of Langdale!

2018 Poster of the year

Pete – both for consistency as well as being the voice of reason and our moral compass at times!

Dean’s international medal haul of course, but closely followed by Simon’s.

Difficult to say (politely)!

2019 Aims & targets

To get some V50 bling, somewhere, somehow!

2019 Ones to Watch

All the newbies who are coming on a storm, but I reckon Reg is going to do some impressive stuff if he gets the focus right and remains un-injured.

Whatever Ric is doing next is going to be monstered with this base build up!

Matt L - with a bit of focus on ether road or fell (and personally I'd welcome the latter:smile: ) big things could happen.

2019 One you'd like to read more from next year

Dachs - always entertaining :-)  

Open category - suggested thread improvements etc

New blood and a perspective that isn’t skewed toward somewhat ageing blokes (with all due respect to all of us ageing blokes of course!) 

• I saw lots of supportive and positive people, Pete. Definitely the scene for thread nice guys and not miserable gits like me :D

Nice double.
  • SG, that was some report! Although, I think it's shorter than some of your previous race reports?

Right, so I'll get on with my end-of-year... Finished on 1479.2mi, with December totalling 146 or so. I beat 2017 by 2.5mi, so that's consistency :D

10 - 1 x HM, 1 x coastal 11mi, 2 x 10mi, 1 x 7mi, 2 x trail '10k', 2 x 5mi, 1 x 5km

2018 Achievements 

Getting back to a 19-low 5km, and a 1:32 HM in some of the hottest conditions I've run in.

2018 Personal Lowlights

Too much inconsistency, with injuries cropping up when trying to get back to it too quickly.

2018 Personal Highlights

A brilliant winter's coastal run at the beginning of the year, ending up caked in mud :) as well as being able to run alongside Lake Taupo for 5 or so weeks!

2018 Poster of the year

So many to choose from!

Both Dean and Simon for their numerous track turnouts and Euro medals! Reg too for his Spanish triathlon in atrocious weather when rather unwell too.

SG undoubtedly being incredibly bored and searching through the thread to find all tuna bagel comments!

2019 Aims & targets

Turn out a sub-19 5km, and something like a 28:xx 5mi - the only flat and fast 5mi down this way is on my birthday in June, so hoping it all comes together :)

Lets see if I can approach some PBs that are now over 2 years old!

Maintain some consistency and injury-free - 35mi or so per week for the first few months, and try to approach a 2019mi total. 

2019 Ones to Watch

Reg with a running-focussed year, Ric with this mileage build up, as well as StevieWh and Joe

2019 One you'd like to read more from next year

Dachs, Pete and Joe - the race reports on his blog are great!

• parkrun double for me with a run commute between. RobF led us through a different path which cut out the road section near Upton so much more scenic. Happy with a consistent pair of runs in 21:32 and 21:50. Both slower than last year but they were 1:20 apart. Now need to get through the winter and get back to more respectable times. Upton had 424 runners. The highest on a non-NYD is 265 which was a Dashers vs Bracknell mob match so 206 is the highest normal run. I guess it is because it is late on NYD and a lot of people do it as their second.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good report Matt, and impressive double parkruns chaps!

Finally dragged myself outside and had quite a good run. 7.4M of hills on firm mud, almost in sunshine and at something resembling a reasonable pace :smile:

• 2018 Stats

Total Distance2,118.13 mi
    Total Elev Gain94,828 ft
    Average Speed8.1 mph
    Average Heart Rate131 bpm   (72% of max)

20 races (3 non-UKA), 9 parkruns - 3x10 milers, lots of halves, lots of MT, 2 x 10k, 1 marathon, 2 x 5k. Parkruns generally done at threshold effort, but had a couple of benchmarking all out efforts in August and October.

2018 Achievements

Marathon pb was ace, after a really short training block focused on distance and marathon effort. I did not expect it or particularly race for it. I also enjoyed my recent 10 mile pb running off the back of that period. Last night’s run felt good too, confirmed that I'm back at previous best fitness after all the travails of 2017.

2018 Personal Highlights

For me it was discovering I could train for and run a marathon and recover from the whole experience fairly swiftly after the nightmare aftermath of London 2017.

2018 Personal Lowlights 

Beginning the year still in recovery mode (gluteal tendinitis, and a virus forcing capitulation at the Brass Monkey half) but then building things up nicely for the spring, whereupon I simply missed out on all my spring races due to the bad weather. I had a couple of races booked in, should one turn out to be un-raceable. The weather organised itself for two windless, crisp and clear weekends either side of both of those races and a shit ton of snow on the weekends when I'd got the races booked in. Grr. The sole race product of Spring training was a 59.20 10 mile race.  

I don't generally feel down about race times not being all that. In the grand scheme of things it's far from a lowlight. You can't really account for quite of lot of stuff that might hit you on the day, so I don't sweat it.

2018 Poster of the year

StevieG has put a ton into the thread over the year, so it's only right this prize should go to him. I still don't have a clue what his diabolical zone scheme is all about though ;) Joe channels a lot of stuff into his blog, and I’m a fan but it’s disqualified as off thread. Reg and Dachs tied on the acerbic quippers of the year award.

Didn't Dachs break 70 mins for the half this year ? That's amazing. Similarly Simon & Dean's fast masters championship stuff is amazing. Now that the man from Hull has retired from running, the world is their lobster or something. 

2018 Favourite Thread quirk of the year

To be honest the one thing that didn't grip me about the thread when I first read it was the rep reportage: 1.29,1.29, 1.36 (needed a poo), 1.33 (itchy arse). Too much information dudes ! ;) Speaking selfishly, the actual information was all over my head as I hardly ever do reps (and if I do I don't even look at the times; it's just to make the session easier).

2018 Thread moment of the year T

The tuna bagel countback had me choking on my tuna bagel.

2019 Aims & targets 

Definitely staying consistent. I've got a half in a fortnight (and then another 5 weeks later) and I think it's about time I got that one out of my system. After that it's the big one again. Yes, I will return to the Hull Marathon in the autumn ! Actually I'm down for London too, so I've got my big training races pencilled in already, and will do a 12 week block rather than the 6 weeks that got me through Hull last year.

So very broad aims, race the half distance properly, then two mileage bumps  sandwiching a freewheeling summer then race a few in the late Autumn. No targets - why limit yourself to targets ? :) Que sera, sera.

2019 One to Watch

Ric looks set to storm the ultra scene ;) Many of the thread are still on the up or returning to the up. That’s what makes you all eminently watchable. That, and the occasional hissy fit ;)

• Cheers chaps! Well done on all the double parkruns everyone. I’m almost jealous, except I am stiff as a board so didn’t really fancy any effort today, so just 5 miles of recovery jogging in the sun  B)

Pete M, it was the Cursa dels Nassos 10k in Barcelona. Flat course, great support, but came in at 6.33 miles so could be slightly long. GPS trace wobbles in places so hard to say for sure.

Stevie - Pacers every 5 minutes from 35 to 60. I finished 207th ! It’s roughly the quality of the Leeds Abbey Dash. It hosts the National Championship of Catalonia which was won in under 29mins. They don’t do age categories in the results which is a shame as I was wondering what the v45 standard was like.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Nice one Muddy, but how can you do reps without at least giving a cursory glance at times - no wonder you don't get the zones :D

The first 5 or so pages of this thread explain the zones from Moraghan ( I think), and there's also a legendary thread he wrote called "Training for the right distances" I think that would fill you in.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Drove the 40mins or so over to the club to do a 6x4mins hill loop session tonight.

3 anticlockwise, and 3 clockwise.  The latter has the steepest hill, but starts downhill, whereas the former starts up hill, and you rejoin the hill lower down and then re-do the original climb right at the end!

Ironically, given my like of talking zones, and times, a hill loop session is harder to gain much info on either and takes the form of just hard training.

For what it's worth tho, the anti clockwise came out avs of 5.53, 5.53, 6.04

and the clockwise came out 5.48,5.48, 5.43.

I can only imagine that on the 6.04, i'd eased off near the end and started jogging back down too quick.

I guess those splits show the clockwise version is faster, as when you scale the peak it's flat and a straight smash down

Good sesh, 8.5m banked, 12.5 in 2019 so far. We're off again!