Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:
    Is that your alibi for some of your wackier posts ric 😄😄😄😄
    It happened (more than once) One second I was at home and in the blink of an eyelid found myself eight miles away standing next to a push bike.
    A real life Wtf! moment.

At least the follow up episodes weren't so bad.

The other stuff is mainly wondering, 'what would be the reaction if..'?
    I could say the stuff was rhetorical if not for the fact so much of it is guff.

It's the nearest to relieving dull parts of the day I get. Lightweight really.

News on the knee - fine. Getting there. Can't have been anything major, but I needed the rest.

I note the recovery has been enhanced due to the longer break. That's based on the numbers clocked up on the bike and weights (those as well).

Takes a few days more than expected for that to emerge. To start with there's the usual recovery feelings. Followed by days where other things start to appear. And then when those subside, the realisation that losing fitness was the last thing that has happened.

Just have to start running again. I soon forget about it.

🙂

• So what was this bird’s average pace for this jog?
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Dunno - pretty slow I guess, but still much faster than the blokes behind :wink:
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Reg Wand said:
    So what was this bird’s average pace for this jog?
    Approximately 18.32 per mile.

🙂

• I assume that includes milking time. That's walking, insn't it?
  • I've done a little digging around and it seems the fastest time, maybe not part of this race, for completing the route is 2 days 17 hours and 20 minutes so that's 65.3 hours and she was what 83.2 hrs. There are on average about 50-60 people doing this race so the race itself is not at all noteworthy beyond it's difficulty, surely? This is like winning a Handy Cross ;)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Id love winning a handy cross. Finishing one was about my limit.

But i thought the worlds top ultra guys had done this race
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Some of them.

It's a different ball game Reg. The Pennine Way record was done in summer, so mostly in daylight, with pacers and support. The Spine race is in winter, two-thirds in darkness, and apart from meals, the competitors are entirely self-supporting. 

It's difficulty is EXACTLY what it is about! There are only 50-60 people doing it, as that's there is a very small pool of people who have the skill set and ability to even consider it! 

Having done long fell races, 18:32 per mile over this sort of terrain, mainly at night and in winter conditions for 268 miles is fast - I'm happy if people say it is not strictly "running" (and beginning to be sorry I even mentioned it on this thread tbh!) but as a feat of endurance it is unquestionably impressive. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Chuckled at the last line 😄😄

Remember we have a certain range of experience on here bus. And this is well outside that.
    They have the invitation to try and do better 😄😄😄
  • Bus, it's not just 50 people because only 50 people have the skills, it's only 50 people because it's a bloody miserable thing to attempt and there aren't many people who want to do it.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Oh and I do think it's impressive, just covering 268 miles is impressive. It's nice to explore exactly 'how' impressive though. I am similar to Phil in how I see it. Most of the people doing it are probably mid 50s. 3:30 marathon runners that can't get any faster so run further and enjoy shitting outside.
  • Well said, Bus
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    SG has to be a strong contender then Reg - he is great at shitting outside :sweat_smile:
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Was gonna say if that's a skill im in
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    That genuinely made me laugh out loud! 
  • I just re-watched that and worryingly I seem to have based all my opinions on that video :D
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
     as that's there is a very small pool of people who have the skill set and ability to even consider it! 
     In the context of commonsense, there's other ways these talents could be described.

🙂

• Isn't IM just for those who are no good at running/cycling/swimming & marathons for those who aren't fast enough to be competitive at the shorter stuff Reg? ;)
  • Don't know Jools, I don't like to judge.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Running is for those who aren't good enough at football i heard.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    The kids who came to my running club from football told me they did so for various reasons.

Who needs to elaborate? The game itself gives an opportunity for knuckle heads to kick someone and get away with it. 
    And not sure how Dean coaches kids, but I've never heard running coaches sounding like the football coaches I've heard when crossing the training grounds. Verbal thuggery.

As for tri-athlon!

The transitions are needed, obviously. But...come on. This is a sport where you can lose because you cannot get dressed fast enough or failing to put something in a box.

I was asked once if I'd do tri-athlon. No. The level of commitment required to do justice to the activity goes; for me at any rate, too far into an area I'm not prepared to go.

Before I had my own family - perhaps. And now despite having all the resources - I can't be bothered.

🙂

• Footballers certainly don’t do distance running. I remember Michael Owen saying his training for VLM 2014 was harder than anything he’d done as a professional footballer: he only managed 3:45! Few others here https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/oct/24/player-fastest-distance-race

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Sam Amend in the Times today in an article on women and ultra-running. Probably knew, but hadn't really sank i that Sam did 136 miles on the track in 24 hours. Obviously that won't impress some on here as its only 10:36 pace average, but it sure as hell impresses me :smiley:

Anyway, off for my LSR in a mo. Slightly concerned as I've had a knee niggle all week. Pretty mild, and not unusual, but yesterday, for no apparent reason it flared up and was painful even to stand on! Seems to have settled down this morning, but I'll have the Mrs on standby in case I need to abandon....

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    It is impressive Bus, but personally, it doesn't impress me a jot. 

It's nothing concerning SA in partcular. It's just the concept of the event is so far from what I regard as sensible, that it doesn't even register.

Then again, the list of what I regard as 'not sensible' is very long.

Good luck with the run. Something similar to me. Wondered if a bit of tendinitis has crept into the mix. One minute it's there, the next it's gone only to return in some form later.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it was a bit weird. Set off gingerly, nothing. 500m in it hurt like hell, 500m later and on the point of abandoning, something inside the knee-cap went "ping" and the pain stopped! 15.5 hilly miles later it's nothing more than a very dull ache. One to keep an eye on.....
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Oh, and as for Sam, she did a 50k in 3:28 today. So a sub 3 marathon followed by a 5 miler, all at 6:42 pace.  
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Hooked up knee ligament Bus. Probably got like that after a fast run when it first got stuck. Another run opened things up again.

I assume the 50k was a race. Decent pace for over 30 miles.

A bit extreme for me.

Even though I ran quite a lot of miles in December, I wasn't exactly pressed for time. But I've never been one to take anything to extremes. 

Always risky taking anything to the limit.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Alright Bus, that's enough fanboy behaviour ;)

Hope the strange niggle has fixed it self though.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Right, it was Tadley XC today, so let's settle in for a "little" race report shall we?

Grab a drink, and no comments of "and..what happened", when I'm obvs half way through writing it...it's coming! ;)