Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep Bus. all bets are off in this weather pace wise.

Have had a mere turnover week, doubles of most;y 4&5 each day, nothing long, nothing fast. Also had a tickly/slightly coldy feeling last couple of days on top.

Couple of sleeps and hopefully a long run in decent weather!

ps Was almost a "Samuel"
  • I have a university friend who is Richard Heddle

https://www.linkedin.com/in/richard-heddle-081aa244/

He is always called Richard and never Dick.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Thanks chaps, but much as I'd love to,  I can't hold the conditions responsible for my lack of pace :smile:   Need to put the work in.....

Talking of weight, I've lost trust in my scales - if they are to be believed, then I was 10st 8 constantly from November to the second week of Jan, then suddenly lost 6 lbs somehow in a week! Bit annoying, as they are fairly new and bought to replace some that were clearly dodgy.

• Simon - heading over to watch tomorrow, will look out for you. HHH vest? I'll be in a flat cap and some trail shoes (should be the only one) running around to support at various parts of the course.

Bus - wouldn't get too worried about the pace on those reps, doesn't sound like ideal conditions. Nothing wrong with putting the work in though!

Reg - nice work on the weight loss. I've shifted a couple of kgs also in the last month or so, which I'm hoping will help a bit! Need more than that to get back up to top speed though.

Easy day today, going to pootle around the parks at lunch. Will give parkrun a bash tomorrow, see how close to 18 mins I can get this time. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Had a few minutes spare so tried to get a few of my historic results onto PO10.

Think I ended up submitting only 1 - the MK half in 2009, as most are either UKA (wycombe half/10k, Marlow 5 usually weren't), or you just can't find online results.

So much easier these days, where most stuff is UKA, and you don't need to "qualify" to get a time on there like you used to!
  • Cheers Joe - Yes i'll be there donning the famous red and black hoops. 6'2", grimacing all the way round, right from the first hill.
  • SG - would be interesting to know if we've raced each other in the past. I'm currently counting it as 1-0 to me, but I think it'll all change come Wokingham.

Carnage in the central london parks this lunchtime, slaloming tourists all over the place. Can't believe how many of them were acting like a goose was a wild tiger - never seen such excitement. 

Was much better once in Hyde Park, inadvertently got involved in the LFOTM race, was very glad it wasn't me doing the racing.  
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Stevie G said:
    Had a few minutes spare so tried to get a few of my historic results onto PO10.

You don't need to caveat your geekiness in this company SG.

Is that the Dennis the Menace kit you wear SC?

Joe, it's much easier to lose weight when you're focusing on the running; cycling and swimming isn't the best, especially the swimming which I find adds a bit of weight up top.

I've been treating my plan with a bit of contempt this week, just really doing my own thing but aiming for the same total mileage. Today I spent an hour in the hills and mud, just running for fun.
  • Joe, if you log in to PO10, you can look up SGs profile and click on the 'head to head' thing to see the record.
  • Joe Blogs-BRJoe Blogs-BR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Reg Wand said:
    Joe, if you log in to PO10, you can look up SGs profile and click on the 'head to head' thing to see the record.
    Right then - It's 2-1 to SG. Clearly my 1:37 in Reading in 2014 when just getting into running was never going to trouble the scorers.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Funny you should ask Joe...as po10 as Phil once pointed out do a "head to head" section.

It works for us, and I have a cheeky 2-1 lead ;)

Strangely putting in exactly the same chip and gun time at Reading half 2014, and Wokingham 2015 half  (77.40 v 77.45)

I won't count the Battersea Park relay :) which I note you still have TBC on your record!

It doesn't really work for local rivals though.

For instance it has me 6-3 up v Reggie, and I'll have definitely lost more than 3 to him, probably in one year's XC series!

Similarly, I must have raced someone like Frank Fulcher (occasional poster on here bck in the day) around 40-50 times over the years, yet only 10 or so of those are on the grid.
    Often due to the summer 5ks not being PO10, and also because the XC lot are very hit and miss whether they bother putting them up.

Last year it took one absolute relentless douche pissing half the league off to get them up on site (guess who?  o:) )

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ahem...i took so long savouring over that post, you guys beat me to it :D:D
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Was much better once in Hyde Park, inadvertently got involved in the LFOTM race, was very glad it wasn't me doing the racing.  
    On the one lap course, there's that bit under a bridge/tunnel (i think?).
    Some scofflaws were hanging about blocking it.

But oh boy did they move when spotting some geezers utterly funnelling at them at 15min pace
  • I don't think it's wrong SG, I know it's actually 6-4 if Tadley goes up, four XC sounds about right. I probably did a lot of them when you were on your sabbatical.
    If it's a half-marathon you win, if it's an XC, I win.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Perhaps not as far out as I thought then.
    It's prompted me to take steps to get this year's results up.

Probably should be someone on the board, but as they haven't managed it from October, I'll press on!!
    Getting them to mark results as "final" rather than "provisional" that three are still on is half the battle! (Although I'll let them off for Tadley)

Probably a good thing that the summer series 5k results don't go up, due to the occasional risk of shortness - eg that Marlow one last year!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    a bit late to the party but congrats to all those racing last week...sounds like everyone landed good results.

head to head thing is interesting.  i am 0-1 v dachs.  but it was the nationals a few yrs ago where i stopped, ran off in to the woods for a dump.  whilst im happy to admit Dachs should be stronger over the XC im sure me going off into the wilderness for a pit stop contributed to me finishing 2mins behind.
    simon seems to be the only other forum member i have raced.  and its 4-3 to me.  Simon was 3-0 up back in 2014.  but then i started training ;) and the next 4 went my way.  of course i expect he would hand me a few defeats if we raced over XC now...which is why i have no interest in racing XC anymore. (other than if im already there as im taking my son to race in the juniors)   

indoor 1500m this sunday, long drive to sheffield is never fun.  Anyone else racing?

• SG - would be interesting to know if we've raced each other in the past. I'm currently counting it as 1-0 to me, but I think it'll all change come Wokingham.

I make it 2-1 to SG. Probably a blatant abuse of personal privacy but I am not naming and shaming you as fat, mainly because I have had a nice day with a run in the sun and am about to have the first G&T of the day.

https://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/headtohead.aspx?athleteids=683727|80203
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Did you miss the massive discussion above, Phil? 😁😁
  • Stevie G said:
    Did you miss the massive discussion above, Phil? 😁😁
    I half wrote a reply and then came back to finish it later.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

:o

Good site PO10. I presume that the admin peeps are volunteers, rather than it being a paid job? I remember Steve Way responded to a query once! That was impressive.

But yeah, the XC has a gap, in that they tell PO10 there's a fixture. They give them where the results are....but no-one ever bothers to say it's final!

However, it gives me something to do, so we'll see the first 4 XC results on PO10 early next week I think, and i'll "encourage" the other 3 events along...

• Stevie G said:

:o

Good site PO10. I presume that the admin peeps are volunteers, rather than it being a paid job?

No, it is a commercial organisation. The main guy is Tim Grose:

https://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=628

About Login
    Tim is the founder and chief statistician of Athletics Data that operate the Power of 10 and runbritainrankings.com websites.

I use Strava to record my training. You can also follow me on Twitter and Instagram.

The company is http://www.athleticsdata.com/

Companies house lists the shareholders and they include Tim, British Milers Club (BMC) and Wendy Sly who is, I assume, the same one who ran 8:37.06 for 3,000 metres, quite swift. 

https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/company/04965874-athletics-data-limited
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Excellent. I won't feel guilty for drilling them with emailz 😇
  • I dare not go on runbritain anymore. My rating has plummeted in the last couple of years. Peaked after my 2:39 in Valencia and it's been all downhill since.

As SG would say, I've got a 'turnout' to report on, in the shape of a parkun (I know some wouldn't count that as a race..)

Already logged 13 hours of training Monday-Friday so knew I wouldn't be that fresh, but had a relatively easy day yesterday (just swim and a 6 mile recovery run). Wanted a decent thrashing over 5km to prove to myself that things were trending in the right direction. 

Headed to Fulham Palace parkrun, not the fastest course with some twisty corners and narrow paths, it's always carnage on the 3rd lap weaving through slower runners. But it was just logistically easier to go there. No parking story to report on as it's only a 2.5 mile jog to the park.

Did some strides and limbering up, which I normally leave to the pro's, noting that the wind had definitely picked up a bit since yesterday, but should even out on a looped course. Line up on the front line and notice a lady holding a dog standing right next to me, immediately shuffle a couple of people to the right. We set off and the dog goes absolutely bonkers - no idea how its barking so much whilst running, and it's all over the place. Solid decision to move. 

Spreads out pretty quick and it's me and one other guy in 3rd and 4th. He's sitting about 5m ahead and I can't close the gap but just keep him in sight. Through the first lap and it's already hurting, but I'm telling myself to suck it up. 

2nd lap always the hardest mentally, pace drifts a bit but nothing drastic. Onto the 3rd and here comes the traffic, it's a weave-fest, but I've not got the breath to shout that I'm coming through, so just hope I get noticed. On the whole I do, but have to cut my stride a couple of times, which is annoying. 

400m to go and it's foot to the floor, and I know it's going to be close. Hardest I've pushed for a long time, stopping the watch at 17:54. 18 months ago I would've taken going sub 18 for granted, but right now I'll take that. I had a look back, and unbelievably I only did it twice (!!) last year, but I suppose I was focussing on other things. 

Decided to turn it into a proper training session, so 15 miles total for the morning, as I probably won't get a long run in tomorrow (riding). Off to parliament hill now to watch the cross country with a beer in hand. 
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Wendy Sly!

Second place in the infamous Decker/Budd Olympic 3000m of 1984.

That's her with the stripes, running third.
    The speck 100m further up the hill is AW.

Middlesex Champs at Kingsbury. Usually a sea of mud!

Hill session on the bike today. 32 miles, over 1000m of ascents. 

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice turnout joe. Although i thought Fulham palace was meant to be one of the quickest courses?! Legitimately so these days now it's the full distance too 😁

Ric you do love a vintage running name 🏃
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Quiet today...

Nice parkrunning Joe.

I found my long run particularly hard today, not helped by the amount of mud to slide around in and shoes covered in the stuff and that must have weighed 3kg each for most of the 13 miles :smile:
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Decent parkrun Joe; I've done that one a few times and found it a fast course, but I guess it is harder now with numbers so much higher these days making overtaking on lap 3 much harder. 

Good 13 in the circs Bus and nice biking Ric; quite a long rise that for this time of year and on hilly terrain. 

So this weekend was all about testing my Vaporflys which have been unused since the 15 min test run I gave them on Xmas day. First up was a trek to Rickmansworth parkrun which is a really fast 2 lap course all on tarmac. Like most parkruns it was really busy with New Year resolutions holding strong. A massive field and even starting zones which I've never seen before at pr. Started 2nd row in the sub 20 section and off to a decent start. Young lad in the lead lost an earphone so stopped to retrieve it and then I was into 2nd. VF's felt fast and springy and was rattling through each k in about 3'40. Lad who went back was obviously decent though as he came by me again and moved into 1st soon after. I went in his trail though and took 2nd soon after finishing in 2nd of over 500 in 18'22 and over 85% WAVA🙂 Both the course and the shoes contributed though so under no illusions I have improved.

Today was club 10k TT and disappointingly no other fast guys pitched up. So 4 miles of solo stuff before I began passing people. Again the shoes feel noticeably comfy and bouncy and kept up my pace to end with 38'10 which I'm pretty sure is about 30-45 secs faster than I would have been in normal shoes. So my guess at this stage  would be they are worth 1-2%, worth having but not the huge 4% touted. Be keen to hear Wool, SG or anyone else's latest views on them. 

Overall happy with that weekend double and to get a decent 10k and 5k time so early in the year. VF's too expensive to use much though so into mothballs again now till my next proper race which is likely to be Wokey or Fleet HM. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good work on the double Pete. Maybe we need a new WAVA, for those races run in Vaporflys then - maybe WAVAV :smiley:
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Sounds like a strength session that Bus. Decent full body workout with the sliding around too.
    Flying there Pete. A lot of local vet ladies have started using the VFs & all swear by them. A couple have been picking up PBs over 5K & 10K in spite of being in their 6th decade! Love the WAVAV Bus
    I raced my annual 8M today at Lliswerry & recorded my 2nd slowest time in 8 years. Although I knew I wasn't in PB shape I was disappointed with the time as it's over 3 minutes down. I started conservatively but still lost a minute over the second half largely due to the ferocious wind: 25mph with 40+ mph gusts. I was still reeling people in right til the end & only got overtaken by one guy, a youngster, after the first half mile & that was with less than a mile to go. Beat my clubmate who was 40s quicker than me at Speedway last Sunday too so overall I guess the race wasn't actually a disaster. 21M for the day as I did a 3M wu & extended the cd to 10M.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good longun Bus, and nice turnout Pete. Would be delighted if 10k really sees a 30-45sec improvement over 10k, as imagine licking your lips over how much in a half!

Sounds a good effort Jools. When wind gets involved all time bets are off!

An 8.30pm Friday night sleep (!) and rest day yesterday meant I believed i'd seen the slight cold off well enough to get a long one in.

But I still made sure I picked a route so I could end at 11 ish if needs be.

In the end, 15, 7.07 job, so decent lick.

Not the 6.50 average I was putting in for 15s last year, but that was probably a bt on the cheeky side anyway, and a different totally flat route.

That's 6x15 (one was a 16infairness) in 7 weeks now, so getting the longuns in.

Hopefully the snow doesn't come as expected midweek. Will learn from last week though, and get a Tue morn sesh in early doors, rather than rely on the Dasher evening sesh, as if it's coming it's coming Tue apparently.