Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Takes all sorts Reg. I prefer talking to my missus on the phone. That said, I never have the thing switched on.

Thought about a run but it seemed a bit gusty. I usually run through the woods but there's always another branch with my name on it.

Went on the indoor bike instead and gunned up the effort towards the end. HR hit about 160 bpm but had dropped to less than half of that - in 30 seconds!
    Repeated a few more times with the same result.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    MH - i looked at the advanced week weather in Reading, as the very strong winds they reckon reduce to a mild breeze, and the temp drops to near perfect too.

Still wasn't enough for me to jump in though!

Nice conning of yourself about the session ;) I recognise that approach now, IT takes the heat off and more often than not you have more than you'd guessed :D 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    RicF said:
    Takes all sorts Reg. I prefer talking to my missus on the phone. That said, I never have the thing switched on.

Thought about a run but it seemed a bit gusty. I usually run through the woods but there's always another branch with my name on it.

Switch two letters around bossman, and it becomes gutsy - get out there.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps I was going to post a banger by Pretty Ricky in relation to you being on the hotline Ric...

but then i double checked the lyrics, and realised with a huge women and children following on here, it perhaps wasn't wise.

ps, first lurker to say hi gets a mystery prize.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Hi!
    Jooligan: it was indeed the same Micky Morris. I was at the 1976 National Cross Country in Leicester when Micky placed 2nd. He had entered as an individual and there was an outcry when he was disqualified for not wearing his Cwmbran club vest.  I ran against him in the steeplechase: he was good enough to finish 2nd in the AAAs in '76 and there was a call for him to be selected for the Montreal Olympics, still a Junior. 
    He was a fantastic athlete and it was a great shock when he died.

https://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=39946
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Nice one Alehouse always nice to know a bit more about the local legends of yore.
    Cracking session MH. Look to be in good shape for Falmouth then.
    15M hilly trail run for me this evening. Legs had a few things to say about that after yesterday morning's session but I channeled my inner Jens Voigt & got it done. According to Strava it was (marginally) my fastest pace yet on that route. Done it 7x & always focused on keeping effort easy by monitoring HR so pretty comparable.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    go on then, SG - as no-one has put his/her head above the parapet, I'll risk the "mystery prize" not being some kind of derision ;) , and delurk . . . . .      hi . . .   
  • Come on Birch, we're going to need a bit more than that.. :wink:

Maybe a brief running history/targets? Or your worst parking story?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Excellent Birch, welcome.

Your prize, once you have supplied the deets JB mentions, is an anecdote related to your current situation from our top boy Ric.

Ric old son, crank the anecdote generator up.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps Joe, my worst park ever was turning up to the pub I played football for, in my last season as a regular player, perhaps a decade ago now. I was already well on the side of favouring running over football, but was just about clinging to my roots.

I turned up in my gorgeous little Ford Ka (cheap, and efficient, so allow it), and put in a shocking park, jagged, and about 2mm off a guy's more manly flash car.

I had to pull off a really awkward reverse with the whole squad watching and laughing.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    pps - the running?
    10 mile single today. 7.11 pace average, but seem real slog miles into strong wind in there.
    It wasn't even the usual with wind, where you know one direction is heavy, and one is fine. It seemed to change, like the...erm...

wind.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    new job and a shattered ipad means not many posts recently.  A quick look back sees everyone going well.

all my running is building towards the world indoor in poland in a fortnight.  Training has been going really well and hitting paces better than before Madrid last yr.  Each 800m race has been faster than the last so thats a positive.
    British masters indoor champs last weekend.  1500m up first and they grouped all the v35, v40s and v45s together which pitted me against a couple of low 4min v35s. who have sub 2 min 800m this yr.  Unfortunately not the v50, so Mark who beat me at the worlds to win gold last summer wasnt in the race. Was nip and tuck all the way but i managed to take the win in 4.06.  faster than i did last yr and i felt good on it.  The world lead is 4.05.
    The added bonus is it moved me to the top of the UK rankings overtaking some chancer called simon coombes. :wink: Also beat Marks seasons best by about 11 seconds.  

800 next day and just the v45s but on paper i was ranked 3rd.  hit the last bend in the lead and held them off for the Gold in 2.02.  i can definitely go faster in the right race.   So double british gold retained from last yr and in faster times too...so hopefully should be competitive in poland.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Depends if you want a running anecdote or a general one SG.

I have one which involves someone called...Birch. Possibly a different Birch. The better anecdote involves both running and a flash car.

Sounds good Dean. With consummate skill you should be able to work one up the opposition in Poland.

Went out myself today. Out and back 8 miles, going about a minute per mile faster on the return. No prizes for guessing the wind direction in relation to this feat.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reel it out bossman
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    And dean that's the best comeback post since (someone add a memorable comeback post)
  • Bloody show off isn’t he that Dean eh? Yes well and truly blasted of the top of the rankings, fair enough not really in the same class if I’m honest, just not got that true speed, 3000 probably a bit more me. Perhaps. 

Good session MH- sounds good, also Jools and Ric,SG too..he’s always running that one. 

Dull commute running yesterday, currently in the pub waiting to pick the kid up from after school club. He’s in last year of lower school, I’ll miss this when he goes to middle school next year! So had a half day, got home at 1pm and blasted out ye olde 30 x 200 sesh 10 with 10 secs recovery 10 with 20 and 10 with 30. Obviously fucking windy (sorry but I’m sick of it now). Times were ok, 33’s downwind and 36’s into.

Poland getting close now, just an eyeballs out Parkrun Saturday and session Tuesday, then that’s it. 
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Ok the running/car anecdote.

Summer League over fifteen years back. I did ok but one of our members was bringing up the rear by quite a margin - sore hip I believe.

The finish funnel was by the car park but by the time our intrepid runner had arrived, it had been removed by the marshals. Needless to say they were a tad upset by this development, but incensed when the marshals covered themselves by saying, 'It's not our fault you're so damn slow!

"Slow! I'll show you slow!"

With that, they went to their car, climbed in, turned on the engine, revved it up and promptly lay down two strips of rubber leaving the carpark.

The car I think was a red Nissan 350Z. The Driver? A women of about 70!

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Simon - different posters, different strokes son.

I can manage to post 1,000 times without achieving anything of even moderate interest, but Dean will cruise in, post his latest national/Europe/universe race, cover off the previous 73 pages with "everyone's going well" and be off again for 7 weeks. It's what makes this thread what a lurker once emailed me as being

"an absolute treat of a thread, in my opinion the only thing keeping this sorry website forum going"*

(*may not have happened)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice un Ric.

The beauty of anecdotes, is the ensuing anecdotes they trigger.

Two for me

1) Marshaling the Marlow half, yonks back. Near the 10mile marker, a couple of St John's Ambo staff alongside me and my pal

One a good lad - but bloody slow witted.... Told me he fell down the steps once, and to my "were the steps ok?" he didn't for a second pick up on the gag.

The other guy, had the outrageous cheek to loudly scream into his mic to his pals at the finish

"there's a few STRAGGLERS still out", just as some poor old guy came past, and said "stragglers, cheek".

Picked the guy up on it with a right old SG serve. Can he do any better, get his ass out there and prove it then etc etc. Big oaf of a bloke.

2) The "No finish line" thing reminds me of my club's own 20miler.

Yeah it's a put on for free/£1 to non members fun type thing, but there's no finish line!

There's a start line, and it's marshalled, but any idea of where the 20mile mark actually is seems to be based on "where you reckon it is on your GPS, if you have one". Strange.

Incidentally, that was my first strava run ever, last March.  A good christening.

It's up in a few weeks, and I may or may not do it. Perhaps not with my pal finishing the last 5miles from 6.30 to 6 pace this year though...

Maybe find some hottie to jog round with, and for once in the year actually run at true easy pace ;)

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Simon - when you flying back?  See if we can arrange a catch up? 
    Shame you aren't staying to the sunday as there is a load of us going out after. Plenty of cheapo polish beers that night.  
    Don't know how you can train in these conditions. Though the wind resistance could be good for strength work, you might be happy you did going into the 10 lap.  Im travelling an hour each way to use the manchester indoor track, after work. Get home knackered 
  • Hi mate, I’ll be able to watch your heats Wednesday, flying back weds night. Mark is having a few on the first Sunday night apparently, so that should be OK with a few only 3000m types out too hopefully. Yeah the wind is annoying but got some speed up on the other 200’s! 

Ric- nice story!

tonight. Bus broke down, waited an hour for the next one home. Bastard. 
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Yes, the forum is but a shadow of it's former self, literally. Why someone felt compelled to change it from a nice solid coloured site to some anemic rendition, I've no idea. 

The only improvement was the size of images which can be posted.

Anecdotes! Not sure how I've accumulated so many of those. Maybe it's that I'm essentially an observer and want to make sense of my surroundings. Part of the process is to take note of everything that's going on. I miss very little.

🙂

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    morning;  if SG's delurking rule includes regular posting, I'm a bit unsure about that - not really much of interest going on here - unless you're gripped by repetitive reports of going out for a slow run.   

still, as Joe asked ; a brief history - started running in 1986, age 31, after spending my 20's as a pub footy player.  Main focus became marathons (although, as results have shown, not my "best" distance) .   First sub-3 was in mara#3, which heralded a streak of 16 such - PB 2:46 in 1991 ADTLM (see avatar) ;  last sub-3 in 2002.  last marathon 2015 VLM, managed 3:18:43 at age 60, with a 1:29:32 HM that March.  HM PB 75:58 in 1990 (so you can see my mara best is soft, using that half as a measure)  .  

since that 2015 London, the decline has been severe - I'm lucky if a parkrun matches that mara pace of 4 years ago.  currently carrying injury niggle, but ekeing out 30 odd miles each week - a few strides and "efforts" here and there, but completely unstructured. No real goals now, but there's a slight itch that keeps asking if I will scratch it - my club's V65 marathon record is 4:09 - I'm 65 at the end of August - surely I could get my decrepit legs into enough shape to go sub4  -   doesn't seem right that a marathon record should start with a "4", even at that age :/ 

I do like lurking on here - even though I'm slow, I enjoy the exploits, and the anecdotes - 

admire SG's racing/footy jaunts - (impressive mayhem at the end of the Sunderland game the other day) . . .    

no parking stories . . .      

cheers
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Nice one Birch, good to hear my waffle entertains more than just myself ;)
    Tidy pbs, glad to say I just about edge your half out. But you'll keep the marathon spoils.  No pressure to post regularly - just feel free to post when you like...
    we have those who post way too much (coughs, uncomfortably), and those who drop in and feel like a treat when they do (Aley for eg)

the Sunderland clown who sparked that 30 man brawl quite ludicrously tried to appeal it. The photo supporting the bbc article was hilarious though, he has both hands round our player's neck! "Out of character" and "he was concussed" the utter twaddle they tried to use :D 

Ric - keep up the voyerurism, i mean, observing ;)

Fancied something fast and short today, with an ever so vague idea that It would leave a turnout possible tomorrow if I fancied an early wake up (most likely i'll still sleep in!)

10x200 job off 60secs then. The shortest of all my sessions, but the fastest.

Very wind track screamed "not the best day for this one", but still enjoyed it.

Not surprisingly 2x34 and 8x35 was not my fastest effort here.
    I'd usually expect to average 33 for 10, and 34 for 16, and I wouldn't be surprised to be putting 35s in after a main session.

But hey, heavy wind is wind.  Good for strength. Or something
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG, if you're doing 200s on a track and the wind is a problem, why aren't you using the other curve/straight?

Dean, standard stuff really, maybe 6/10.  Get yourself some world medals and I might upgrade it to an 8.

Welcome Birch.  Having nothing of interest to say is no barrier to saying it anyway, in my experience.

Reading Half this weekend.  I'm banking on this wind dying down.  It's a right twat.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Dachs - sounds obvious, but alas, the wind didn't fit in with that plan. Even using the whole track, the wind was a dodgy across wise job, particularly "Galey" at 2 points.

At "easy" pace after, i was barely moving :D  

Dachs - when I checked the 4 or 5 day wev forecast, in a totally pointless "i'll give myself til the deadline to decide, even though i'll deffo not do it" sort of way, the wind looked to have gone from massive gales down to very slight breeze for Sunday. See if it pans out like that.

Young guy from our club is turning out at his 3rd in 5weeks. That's some hardy spirit. My desire to do multiple ones was normally extinguished about 1mile into Half 1.
  • Only 10 200's SG? I thought you had the bug for the 30 x 200?

Yes Welcome Birch - presume that's your real name, or you're a fan of trees or 80's Villa midfielders ;) Loving the Westminster Bridge LM photo, they'd well and truly changed that by 2004 when I did my only London - although I did get to do the cobbles ( albeit with a carpet over them..)

Good luck at Reading Dachs - thought you might have ditched it after your great Wokey time..can you go faster on a tougher course?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Don't start that one off again Simon ;)

30x200 was certainly a one off I think. I need to get the message across to the legs things need to get quicker from here on in.
    There's a 5k spring/summer tour to be cracking on with!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Just a quick pop in from me....

Dean - great stuff indeed! Next time though, have your come back post related to parking or something meaning less, then come in on the next one with an "oh, nearly forgot to say...." :smiley:

Welcome Birch - some high quality PBs indeed, which suggests you have a wealth of experience to share so don't go back to lurking :smile: Your age suggests you must be a silver Birch too :smiley:

Not sure I could have faced a track in this wind SG, so fair play!

Absolutely shite run for me tonight - legs feeling completely dead again.  No specific reason why - if I was doing big sessions and big miles I could understand it! Hey ho...

Good luck Dachs on Sunday, and anyone else racing - hope that wind dies down for ya!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Tough news on the dead legs Bus. My legs (muscles) are fine themselves, it's the connections between the moving parts that mess things up.

I read (as usual) that older runners are affected by accumulated damage to nerve endings. For me, I've stopped timing my runs from the front door since the first minute of trying to run is more a voyage of discovery, as in, 'where's it going to go twang! today'?

It sure isn't pleasant as I try to get going.

Instead I find after the initial walk, jog, shuffle and stretch, which takes about two minutes all in, I can hopefully set off running without issues. 

Seems to work lately. But really, doing that is the only way it works.

🙂