Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Talking of technology, trying to find a list of track fixtures is bloody annoying. The power of 10 fixture list is useless!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It's not very easy to search as such, but there's plenty in the fixtures isn't there?

I find the fixtures quite hit and miss in general though. A few times I've looked for a race I'm certain is po10, and it's not in there, so it must be down to the organiser when they add it.

Noticed the Watford track meets start tomorrow, wow we are cruising through the year!

Last time I went to one was 4 years ago, and it was on the warm up with Dachs and someone else we knew (that I forget) I first thought, hmmm my breathing feels a bit off here. 2 months later having that Wycombe half nightmare :(

4 years ago though...wonder if it's worth putting a 3k in. It just feels so alien though racing on the track. The fussy rules, the really late starts (9.45pm sometimes), being surrounded by these super chisselled youngsters in all the gear, and a sort of feel that I can only describe as being what fun runners must feel when they turn up at a club race!!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    For PO10 it's a full time job just updatings SGs race history so no wonder they don't have time to look at fixtures.

A rare early morning run for me today, I want to try and get into the habit of using the early mornings, especially as we approach summer.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Haha good point Reg!

There are plenty of fixtures but not that many in the Midlands area with a 5k. Most stop at 1500/3000, will keep looking!
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    the odd stretford open in trafford has a 5k
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reg Wand said:
    For PO10 it's a full time job just updatings SGs race history so no wonder they don't have time to look at fixtures.

A rare early morning run for me today, I want to try and get into the habit of using the early mornings, especially as we approach summer.
    Au contraire son, all updated  :D

Still gutted they won't allow my Henley 5.2mile 2nd place from about 08 or 09.
    I had about 6 results out of the 300. That's enough surely!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Quite a cold morning for early April today. Even entertained gloves for a minute or 2.

7.08 job.
    Seems to be in and around the norm these days.

Another Lineker and Baker podcast. Good stuff. Love them as a combo.

Have about 8 or 9 of those (45mins a piece) and 2 x Peter Crouch ones to go. Will try and ration on midweek 10s and LSRs.

Have a stack of 25min daily ones from Hawkesbee and Jacobs, but those aren't as good and cover other sports.

Any other recommendations greatly received.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reg Wand said:

When I was swept along in all the updating, I ended up doing a bit of results editing for them, just for a bit of a trial.

I'm pretty decent on excel, but between the formatting, using the exact codes for track n field age/event/distance/weights, and following all their specific rules it's very time consuming indeed!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    If I didn't know different SG, I'd think you were a civil servant.

I actually did wear gloves this morning, my wife and daughter were in the spare room sleeping, where all my running clothes happen to be, I had to run in a lost property style outfit in the end. It becomes so much harder to escape for a run once they wake up.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Bus is off to the fells next week. He'll need ski's if he is.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

Northumberland from Wednesday Ric. I'd rather be in the Lakes, and we're stuck in the no-mans land between the Cheviots and the sea, so not expecting much running wise. Might even take the chance to have a few days off. That said, I'll probably jump in the car and do a couple of runs in the Cheviots at some point.

Also ran out of time for a lunch run today, so an enforced W-off. Probably no bad thing, but will probably stop me hitting 50 for the week.

And yes, it was freezing this morning! Even with long gloves on, my fingers were numb by the time I'd ridden to the station...

• Reg - it's those runners with the jumble sale type clothes that you need to be wary of, usually pretty handy. Bit sneaky.

SW - A good tip to try and find some 'proper' races ;) is the calendar of a well established athletics club, they might have some other events added to their league races. Also have a look down this list too, some open races in there  http://www.britishmilersclub.com/fixtures/bmcfixtures.aspx easy to enter and decent races.

SG - Yes, get a 3k in. Can only help with the mental side of road races, different kind of pressure.

Luton last night, bit of a hybrid session as I have a dreaded long leg of the national 12 stage on Saturday. It was 1200,1200,1000,1200,1000,1200 on the grass - the ridge of doom also in the 1200's. roughly 4.00 then down to 3.55 for the 1200's and a 3.18 and a 3.08 for the 1000's. didn't feel amazing, but not too bad.

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    SW - https://5ktrackchallenge.co.uk/event-information/

Loads of races with pacemakers included. The A race looks like it's going to be stacked.

There's also 

http://www.openmeetings.co.uk/find-an-open-meet.php

Although the regions they use are fairly broad i.e. sticking Cambridge in the East Midlands. 
  • I'd second http://www.openmeetings.co.uk/ for track meets.

6x800m again today: did 5x800 2 weeks ago (didn't manage the 6th) and then a week ago did the full 6 with slightly dodgy (i.e. overly long) recoveries and today did them with the planned 1 lap jog recovery. Now need to start to get them a bit faster. My short term aim is back to sub-20 for 5k so that is 6:26 pace so 3:13 for 800m and I am at about 3:16 at the moment so in the right ballpark but the wrong side of the line.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    You're getting there Phil.

As for races over the summer. Once again I'm hoping to be able get involved with this lot.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice one Phil - get back on the race wagon.

Ric - some fast parks in that little lot!
    Although must take plenty of laps. Dulwich parkrun is 3 laps, so 5laps? Unless there's more of the park involved?

Need to do that Dulwich parkrun again one day. Was one of the misses from my little tour last year. Don't think I've ever gone out harder in a 5k, had a right meltdown half a mile in, recovered, and put a pb in that still stands now.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Ric - some fast parks in that little lot!

From memory SG, the courses are generally flat. 5:20 mile pace will win them all. I think the numbers running has taken off since parkrun has appeared.

The Dulwich course goes out on the road, so still 3 laps. 

🙂

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Went out for a second run this evening, it was cold so my watch was covered and I picked up the pace a bit to get warmed up and ran to feel. Ended up running around tempo effort in the end. 10k in 38:30 after a first mile of 6:44 so about 6:08 pace once I got moving. Good news was that my HR was about 10 beats below HM effort. Picked up a CR for the stretch past the station butonly onceI had flagged the 3 people that had recorded their train ride as a run!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Hope you got Stava to "refresh activity achievements" after so it shows up properly Reg
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Decent run out Reg.
    Got to hate those oafs who mess with the segz.

A few weeks ago I couldn't resist challenging some guy's obvious cycle.
    He still reckoned it was a run, despite a 2.57 mile in there!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Not heard of a training run Reg?
    Lovely tempo :-)

Bloody cold this morning, but missed the sleet :-). Despite a day off yesterday, my legs felt shot, hip and back were hurting and even my knee started giving me some real gyp again on the last hill! I ask ya!!!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Reg Wand said:
    Went out for a second run this evening, it was cold so my watch was covered and I picked up the pace a bit to get warmed up and ran to feel. Ended up running around tempo effort in the end. 10k in 38:30 after a first mile of 6:44 so about 6:08 pace once I got moving. Good news was that my HR was about 10 beats below HM effort. Picked up a CR for the stretch past the station butonly onceI had flagged the 3 people that had recorded their train ride as a run!
    What was the bad news? A day or two back you could hardly move. Fingers crossed that you've avoided cripple-land.

Talking of cripple-land.
    RE: Bus
    Bloody cold this morning, but missed the sleet :-). Despite a day off yesterday, my legs felt shot, hip and back were hurting and even my knee started giving me some real gyp again on the last hill! I ask ya!!!

Ah, but on the return journey you'll be getting in some speed work so no worries ;)

Meanwhile back at the ranch. This morning I set off for a 'look see' outing, where the main idea was to get an accurate HR reading.

The wrist based gadget's accuracy is questionable, so engineered a way to use the chest strap that came with my lads high end cycle Garmin. Turned out my basic Garmin Edge 25 could be linked to a HR sensor. So saved a few quid.

Two days back I did 14 miles going ok. Today I ended up going a bit further feeling better. Average HR was 145 bpm, peak 158 bpm. Pace 8:18 miling, which considering the MT nature of the run and the hills I felt was ok.

Tbf, if I felt like the Bus did. I would have packed it in by about 10m (that's metres)

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I thought that was you describing your run for a second Ric!
    I'll let you off though, as I'm not sure you can quote 2 messages in 1 post such is the limit of this site.

Hopefully you can get a decent turnout in in May without a breakdown.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    It's just unadulterated good news Ric.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Yep Ric, a comment about "good news" isn't always followed by a "bad news" comment!

Squeezed one last result onto PO10.  Silverstone 2004 HM has made it on there by virtue of an email from the London Marathon lot confirming the result with a one liner!

They can't find my 2005 result though dagnabbit. How can the London Marathon team not have a copy of their own Silverstone half!

Still, 207 of 242 aint bad.  
    32 of those are either relays or Non PO10 post 2011 stuff that needs a license.
    Henley 5.2m and Silvo 2005 the 2 i could get on if i had results...

Just the Sandhurst XC from...late October still to be "finalised".
    I'll get that on there even if i have to cheese off the other 20% of Sandhurst Joggers that I haven't yet!!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    You could be right Ric :smile: Nice 14 by the way!

To be fair, I often find the second run of a double day feels much easier than the first - which is a bit odd really!  I'm working at home today mind, so getting the motivation to run again tonight is not as simple as if I was a work and had little choice! This bloody horrible weather doesn't help, and nor does the fat I can't postpone until tomorrow, as I've got a full on day from early and no real chance to get a run in so it's most likely an F-off.....
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I did a recovery run this afternoon, 8:43 pace! That's what you get when you run to feel and don't check to see how slow you're going.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Reg Wand said:
    I did a recovery run this afternoon, 8:43 pace! That's what you get when you run to feel and don't check to see how slow you're going.
    It was probably the correct pace/effort for a recovery run Reg.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Mine was 9:18 pace tonight :blush:

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Now we're all getting so bloody old, is this going to be the new bragging rights?

How slow you can run? :D