Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think there was much doubt from anyone about the colossal monstering that happened at London Joe. And you know me, I don't use either of those words willy nilly ;)

What a gent you are too. But I dare say as you did a 75min half a few months ago, there's not much worry about being overtaken! 

I dare say you have some sort of post massive performance thing mixed with the natural post marathon effect. Possibly similar to your post ironman lull, where you pretending to be flat out at 1830s for 5k :)

The lot at our club don't seem to let anything stop them. Done a marathon? Go and race a week later, and the next week etc.

Works magnificently for some. And there's a lot to be said for repeated turn outs at similar distances. Something I don't really do, bar the flurry of 5ks last summer, but it has to help having the experience of how to approach it.

Jill at our club certainly maximised, having done a low 10k and Marlow 5 recently, so fused with the big race feel, utterly smashed it. A 35.41 is pretty tasty in the ladies field.

• I didn't say I disliked it. bus mentioned price (and if you enter 2020 today you can do so at this year's price of just £35) and water (which I pointed out seemed to be still available to even the slowest of "runners"). 

Personally, I'm ambivalent. The Sri Chinmoy races are pretty minimalistic but cost just £10. The Town and Gown series (and other similar ones) are a bit jazzier but cost £20. I got a free place this year and enjoyed the run around but wouldn't pay full whack as I don't see a benefit of that race over others. The course is overcrowded and you get the usual time padding that comes with big races.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    £35 and that being some sort of early bird price is some expensive fare!
    I suppose at the front end, you're paying for the quality of field. Back a few years ago those sort of packed fields were my main races.

These days I like a mixed bag
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Horses for courses I guess :smile: Personally I refer the minimalist approach.   

I'm with Philip to a certain extent re the tail enders but also take your point about unknown journeys SG. I know someone at work who is one of those tail enders. She means well, and to a certain extent at least entering that sort of event is at least some motivation, but it becomes a means in itself and a substitute (in some cases) for actually taking a long hard look at your lifestyle and the reason you are so overweight and can't walk up two flights of stairs without needing a half hour recovery rather than doing something about it in a more subtle and sustainable way. To put it into context, My Mrs is the same age as me, doesn't run but does a little bit of swimming, walks a bit and does some yoga - fairly standard general maintenance fitness. On Saturday she went out and walked 16 leisurely miles with a friend in the Chiltern Hills at a pace a fair bit quicker than those three ladies in the photo Phil posted.

Hope you have a speedy recovery Joe. Don't underestimate how much  a hard effort marathon can take out of you and how long it can sometimes take to recover. Good work by Katie, and your mum!

Double for me today - can barely remember the last time I ran in the rain! 7.5M + 5.6M. Average pace not fast at all, but particularly pleasing was doing a fartlek at the end of the morning one and noticing the pace around 5:30 - 5:40, which,  rather than just stopping after about 50 paces, I managed to comfortably sustain to the end of the field I was on, which was just over 0.25M.

• Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019

Hi All - hope you al had a good weekend - PMJ decent run there and starter, as with PeteM - Mark Symes did mention you and the thread on here, so he might be classed as a lurker!

Nice run round JB, always look back fondly on the Berlin marathon training run I did to Musselbrough racecourse and back in 2015 from Edinburgh.

So the mile. Got there stupidly early, so had a look round and then finally decided to do a bit of warming up, found some HHH muckers to have a jog round with. This is so much more laid back than the 10,000 - toilet stop when you want basically - which is the main thing.

Closer to the race, saw that the Leeds V40 Mick Hill had come down after running a 15.18 5,000m the night before in Manchester! although I knew that Craig Sharp had recently done 3.11 recently as was probably the favourite. So as I was seeded first row, after a few minutes we were off. Started off 4th/5th, but after 400m got myself infront of Mick and his other Leeds mate. The 400m was fast, but not 58 secs, must have been short. Anyway then there's the slight rise up Horseguards, through 800 in the lead in 2.09 apparently, then it's the right turn down Birdcage walk. So feeling ok still I'm in the lead at 1200, but I can tell they are gathering behind me!

So the Hyperspeed Gel with Hoka insoles are still propelling me along and holding their own against the 4% mob ;) but finally at about 1300m I see Craig come past into the lead, motoring away into the lead, taking Mick and a couple of others with him. We take the right turn and come towards the finish..knowing my mate Mark Symes would be busting his gut to get me..true enough he pips me and the line and you can see me mouth 'you bastard!' and smile as we pass through. It looked like 4.36, ends up gun 4.37 and chip 4.35 - god knows how as I was on the first row!

Anyway, thankfully I get the v45 prize, not near my 4.31 PB, but it's a harder course than Shapwick. Great chats with Mick Hill, who is also coming down for the 3000 at Wimbledon in June, and Tony O'Brien from Liverpool who got the 2nd V45 medal.

Then go to the pub to meet the HHH lot, see Andrew Strauss in the pub and then have a chat with Elliot Giles, (3rd in the senior mens), as one of our lot did a training session with him once. Really top guy, he's my favourite elite now :) Obviously watched the race back again, feel very big time getting quite a few mentions too. And yes, I was starting to struggle a bit!

So all in all a top day, going to be hard to go back to the 10,000 now, especially if the wife and sprog come down too for the mile. Also, the kid was 9 yesterday and did his first training session over Bedford marina. Mummy very proud :)

• Those London mile races seem to have flooded the rankings:

https://www.runbritainrankings.com/rankings/rankinglist.aspx?event=1M&agegroup=ALL&sex=M&year=2019

so 89 out of the top 99 runs were at Westminster with only one from the Ealing Mile series.

I notice occasional thread poster, Jonathan Davies, was second at Westminster and is ranked #2.

Great result Simon and congrats on the V45 ranking, bet you could do without a 50-year-old mate who nips past you on the finish line. 

By contrast, the 10k a day later only gets 24 out of the top 98 spots.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty niptastic Simon.
    Deffo looks like one of those ones that'd be great to do, all that quality in one field, and presumably no stuff like Ealing with blind bends round whopping trees :)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Turned out myself last night, race 9 of 2019. (As in the year, not there's 2010 more races to do ;) )
    Burnham 5k as part of the summer series.

A decent course in places to rampage, but with 2 real upsetting hills, especially the one in the last 800metres or so.

It's basically on the way home from work, so tweaked my hours to 10-6 to avoid finishing at 5 and having to wazz about for 2 1/2 hours! Typical warm evening for this one - not sure I've ever done it in cooler weather. Alright for 5k usually.

Didn't do the first race of the series, so had no idea who'd be about. I know most of our Datchet big boys wouldn't be there, some had done the 10k the day before for one. Not that sense is a great skill of some of our gang!

Usual evening race feels of, "I could have just gone home and been relaxing instead", and doubts about what sort of shape I'm currently in, but thought i'll try and put some sort of 17:xx type result in and see what we're dealing with, and enjoy the post race jobber jabberings.

Having got there an hour before, as about the 5th there, time quickly rolled round. A few nervous energy chats, getting my series number, and a 1.5mile jog aboot, and it was time to....hit the bushes for 10mins :D

Usual comedy on the starting grid, as suddenly every local under the sun decided to drive up the road that 300 or so runners were congregated on.

Spotted Davenport from Maidenhead, a real link to years back. He's back on the scene, very fast at Marlow 5, and word had it he romped the Wargrave 5k (undulating) in mid to 3/4 16s.
    He'd win today, I was certain.

A few other local faces as well. Handy Cross Dom too, which always means a mad burn off to stay with him, just in case today is that day he gets away!

Slightly farcical scenario where a crowd of Maidenhead AC kids all dominate the start line, and even my "i don't think they know who you are" to the guy who was obviously going to win, yet was held back onto row 2 wasn't subtle enough for them to get the heck out the way.
    Literally all the guys who'd be coming top 5 or so were on row 2 - silly.

Off we go then, long down slide to begin. Dom, despite saying himself he's not at the races at the moment, still leads. Obviously.

The Maidenhead kids have already been run out of dodge except 1. I'm slightly ahead of Davenport, which is silly, but it's alright.

Less mad start than last year though. 

Two lap job, first lap is shorter. So a left hand bend sweeps us slightly up and round. It settles a bit here. Davenport first, and me battling with some Maidenhead AC kid.

Never know with these kids whether they're the next face on the scene, or whether they're simply going off too fast. Time will tell on this kid.

On we go, as it loops round and up, and after a fast, but not mad (with the down) first km around 3.10, the second km is in the low 3.40s. A course you can't go off splits!

So up the first hill we have this scene, neck and neck for 2nd, but not knowing what's behind - which turns out to be a Maidy vet who I lost to a few times last year

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Peak of the hill, past a bunch of supporters, and back onto the start section.

The race is open now, much better than the first down.
    Hard to judge what is the right pace, so it's as it comes out.

Second lap is further on than the first lap turn off.

Battling with the young lad still, and all of a sudden Maidy Vet storms by really strongly. So much for his pre race blag that he'd be "18 or higher". Although in fairness I've no idea what we're on for. But it feels "right" sort of.

Maidy kid then drops off, but is replaced by a Burnham guy who i've battled a few times recently. Beat at Marlow 5 by a few seconds, beat comfortably at Maidy 10, but lost to at a parkrun last year.

Neck and neck for a good km, and the 4km marker is up. We all know the steep up (by 5k standards) is up soon, but I've taken a small lead, and Maidy Vet is coming back fairly hard.

2nd is up for grabs If I enter the hurt locker.
    However, a mixture of settling a bit, it being a tough finish, and Burnham guy having a strong finish (taking 2nd), meant I rock in 4th, which I'd imagine will show quite close 2nd to 4th, but a fair gap behind.

17.49 if I took the watch right, which is 11secs down on last year. My 2017 17.20 here must have been an excellent turnout!

So what to take from this? A solid turnout, probably similar to the Sutton Park effort, and banking a 17:xx which was the mission.

Probably shows two things though. I'm a bit off the pace I want to be, but also need to get back used to the intensity needed for a 5k - definitely a distance you need to have a few goes at and not hold back.
    Definitely need to put in a bit harder in tight races when it's up for grabs like yesterday too - potentially i'm running slightly under limits for whatever reason.

However - always good to turnout in this series that I first did in 2006!

Won't bother with Cookham - an offroad ankle biter by all accounts, and will see with the other 3 - they're all pretty much flat, but grassy/rough in places.
    A trip to BP soon will show we for certain where I am, lot of work to do to match last year.

Enjoyed the post race revelling as always.
    My young pal James had managed to do his calf midway, meaning he hobbled it in. I drove him home after (wrong direction!) meaning a 10 or so arrival home, 11ish to bed, and adrenaline ruined sleep job - the inevitable price of midweek racing.
  • Matthew HeadMatthew Head ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Nicely done at the Vitality 10000, PMJ - I'm another that's confused by the name. I've heard a number of accounts about the start of the race being messy in terms of jostling.

Simon, great work on the mile, and awesome to have taken the V45 win!

Great pacing at Edinburgh Half, JB, securing Katie that PB! Sorry to hear you're still suffering with whatever it is, hopefully it'll run its course soon.

Good turnout at the 5km SG - a good marker for going forwards, with hopefully a faster course.

Given the 'work to do', what sort of sessions are you going to take up going forward? Just wondering if based on what you've been doing more recently whether there's an adjustment to training paces needed, or a change of tack? Perhaps the Moz approach isn't quite so suitable now as it was several years ago?

Finished up last week on 54mi, with the week before 53.3mi - first time over 50 for some while now. Legs recovered really quickly from the session on Thursday, which I think is a product of the base work I put in at the beginning of the year. 
    Did another session yesterday - hill reps. Planned 12 x 75s, but I ran out of hill with about 5s to go on most of them. Nice little burn, accruing over 200m of elevation gain. Can feel it in the glutes today! Planning something along the lines of 8 x 800m or 8 x 3mins tomorrow.

All building for another turn out at the Tavy 5k on the 15th June, with hopefully an 18:xx, followed by a hilly 5mi on the Cornish Grand Prix on the 22nd, with the sole aim of beating my 33:35 from last year.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Good question Matt - but in fairness I'm not on a Moz plan as such - beyond a simple structure of 2xhard a week, medium long and long a week, plus easy.
    I think people in the past have said "try something new" not realising there have been plenty of approaches... and when I've done the full tempo build up it's always got me fit. I suppose they are the hardest runs to force myself to do - so if i can I swerve them :)

Not sure about zones. In Moz days they were drilled down, but to current fitness. It was quite hard to do 400s at "5k pace" for instance - as in slow enough.

Others like Aley advise going very hard in reps.

I think the 5k plan i use is a good middle ground.

I use 1.20-1.16-1.12-1.08 as the 5k-3k-1500-800 zones, and they tend to come out right.

3sesh so far - 5k,3k-1500 as below

8x600,2x400,2x200 - 1.18 average
    12x400 - 1.16 average
    16x200 - 34/35

So bang on, or slightly faster. I guess because last year the latter two were slightly quicker I feel slightly off the pace this year - but still these are aspirational paces anyway.

Big question is 2xsessions a week for the summer period, or 1 and 1xtempo? Mileage probs needs to come down, and it has really , as I'm hitting 55-59s when peak training is mid 60s.

Probs need to put a Battersea Park in soon, see what pace we're looking at - as bonkers weather aside there's no blagging with that course. If it comes out 17.30-40 i'm off the pace

One fine line I battle a little - is if I make a race a major target - I can slightly get too hyped up in it, and overdo the thinking, but if i'm turning out loads - it doesn't feel a special event, and I guess doesn't bring out a special performance? Need to get a balance on those - or maybe just not overthink any of it and enjoy the frequent turnouts - as you don't have to look too far back to remember when it wasn't possible!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps getting your miles back up. Do you reckon you can get down to that 28:xx 5miler from a few years back? Gotta have years of potential in you?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    pps - this is where it'd be interesting to hear a few opinions of current/past quality guys - what sort of training you'd be doing right now for a 5k based summer?

Ric - time to end your little exile maybe? It'll show character  o:)
  • My two-pence worth would be taking some of your workouts off the track, especially if you have tempo reps or the like - just for variety of terrain and to help with undulations in races. I can count on one hand how many times I've trained on the track, and that was when I first moved down here. Whilst I was never the most stellar runner, my successes were off undulating loops.

I get what you say though, there's so many approaches and you can't try them all! Although, there is something to say for occasionally going to the well on intervals, especially the shorter ones.

That's the plan, as my PO10 summary is a shambles compared to a few years back. Got to put the hard work in if I want to improve - which includes getting the mileage a bit higher and sustaining weekly workouts.
    A loose autumn racing plan is the faster Cornish GP 5mi in late September, where hopefully I'll be towards low 29 shape. Following that will be Plymouth 10km in October, although memory serves they're on consecutive weekends... Probably going to skip any longer races for some time, unless it's a case of racking up some points in the GP.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Yeah since I've moved to Slough for work - i have totally moved tempos off the road onto track. But then i did tempos on the track for some good times in 2017 - low 28 5miler, 1720 for yesterdays race etc.  Safety is my main reason for no loops round this area. There is the Jubilee river but i find that a bit of a souless bitty footing route. Dorney Lake is an option, but sort of a no man's land one - still a bit of a drive unless you do one big warmup, 4-5miles?!

I think it was the long progressive build that was the most effective part - we're talking 2-3months of them. Not dipping in and out like these days. But yes, the confidence and difference on the road would be nice too. Would probably make me strip say a MP back to 6.10-6.20 rather than romping it 6s.

Sounds a plan for you. Some of your halfs have definitely looked more get round jobs rather than drilled, so rebuilding with the shorter distances looks wise. Once you're back nearer your best you can rebuild the disto.
  • Good plan MH - Good that you have something to aim for. Been doing a few more hills myself this summer.

SG - Great report, yes I think a bit more training to allow yourself to hit it a bit harder, which you need to do for 5K. When youre running well, a 5k seems to go very quickly - you get to 4k before you know it! The mile is good fun

Thought I'd add a pic from Sunday, going through 1k or so I think.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    You guessed my response, SG

So you went through the first k in 3:10 but never run that fast in training! 
    Let us say that you are aiming for 17:30 (easy number to deal with): that is  3:30 per km with no breaks. It makes sense to me that if you are going to have a "break" (i.e. rest period) in training then the rep needs to be quicker. I would be building towards 4 x 1km with 90 seconds recovery in around 3:10, i.e. 76 secs per lap...and I mean building towards over a 10-12 week block. Initially it would be 2 or perhaps 3 reps in 3:20 (i.e. 80 secs per lap) with 2 mins recovery, gradually increasing the reps and the speed and reducing the recovery. Sometimes less is more. The key point is you need to feel comfortable at a quicker pace...and then the "slower" pace of 3:30 per km will be much more manageable. And talking of comfort, get out of your comfort zone and do something different!

(Historical note: when I ran 14:48 (2:59 per k) I was doing 4 x 1k in 2:45/2:48 with 90 secs recovery.)

Was wondering earlier what Simon (well done by the way), Dean (who surely must pop in to tell us about his new event) and Ric (who surely must pop in!) think. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • True, that wasn't something I'd thought of very much - you're much more urban than I am! I guess I was very fortunate to have a 2.5km loop I used on Southampton Common when I was there, with ~15m or so gain to the top. I actually think I still hold the Strava CR for that loop...
    There's nothing of quite that length that's easy to get to here.

Agree with the focussed build up, that's something that can be lost quite easily with frequent racing - and I'm going to try to avoid whilst turning out for the club. Yep - as I'm not HM-fit, I'm very happy to just use them as an opportunity for some extra quality and using them as just a tougher run.

Good shot there SC - I'm going to see if I can find some footage of the races. How did you find it in terms of organisation?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Aley - good logic. Although I think the first km for me tends to be a bit of an outlier.. but I especially get the general logic versus the average time.

For sub 17 for instance, that's 3.24 per km, and I'd have run my 1km s in training off 90secs at about the 3.20 you mention if not slightly quicker. So that's what you're saying - doing reps quicker than you're racing.

Currently i'm doing 78laps for 600, so the next session up is the 6x800,2x400,2x200 session

3.10 for 1km sounds fast, probably for a reason - it is! I'd just be nervous about going along and only doing a couple of reps for now. Food for thought though of when to try it.

The challenge right now is Endure 24 is 17 days away, a completely different prospect to the short racing!

I think I'll probably try and do 2 sessions and 2 races before that, and see how we are. Probably not in too bad a position, as like SC says it needs putting in for from the off - which I hope will come from a few more goes.
    Last year I ranged from 1656 to 1759 for 5k, nothing quicker than 1738 on the summer series races.

SC - great pic!  
    As Endure is ruling out the Gosport mile/5k combo this year, I do still harbour ideas of the Kent one on the Wed afterwards....but i'll have to play it by ear and see how 25-30miles over a day leaves me the other side...may be way too close! I'd probably say 90% unlikely :(

There is another one at Eastbourne in July though - another 6.30 Wednesday evening job...

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Endure may need a little recovery time!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
     :p  Yep, that's why it's probs not a bad idea to get a couple of short races in quickly before it, make Endure a big 250, as 251 may be a while after!

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Those London mile races seem to have flooded the rankings:

https://www.runbritainrankings.com/rankings/rankinglist.aspx?event=1M&agegroup=ALL&sex=M&year=2019

so 89 out of the top 99 runs were at Westminster with only one from the Ealing Mile series.

Tell me a about it Philip; I've gone from top of the v55 rankings to 9th solely as a result of all those Westminster milers! Some v55 got sub 5 which is pretty damn impressive. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the race suggestions Bus/Pete. I am planning on doing the Dinton 10k but as a tempo run. I can run there and back for a nice little evening out. It's not one for an all out effort. Probably won't race then until 8th July, Sri Chiminoy and all being well a serious revision of my 5k PB.

Sounds like you've made some good strides MH, nice consistent mileage.

Well done at the Mile, SC. I have to say, I was watching that and thinking, I need to get involved next year. Looked like great fun. I've never raced a mile.

Hope you feel back to full strength soon Joe, have you tried magnesium, I think there's an expert on it somewhere ;)
    Well done to Katie too.

My only real casual observation of your training SG is the sheer predictability of it. Perhaps therein lies the reason for the plateau upon which you sit. I hate to say it but I reckon a marathon campaign and some big mileage could be the drama both you and we, all need :o
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    A marathon training campaign without the race could be interesting😄

But appreciate the different idea. Either way that'd be later in the year not now i suppose. I definitely feel peak mode for longer races when doing mid 60s miles, with a proper tempo week in week out and a long long run.

There have been a few approaches this last year though but i guess 90% is in the same framework of two sessions and there's no wacky stuff like say 4 sessions and no easy or chucking20s in etc

Last autumn was a lot (too much?) threshold and limiting to 50mile weeks. Perhaps too limited a sample in one warm race.

Winter was higher miles long run up to 15. Assorted sessions. Wokey illed off.

Maidenhead 10 saw a string of 1hour tempos with chunks at threshold and recovery above easy pace.
    I actually wonder if going for maidenhead (late april) delayed the faster work hence feeling a bit off the pace now versus last year...

Last few weeks beginning sharper shorter work.

So possibly looks predictable but a fair few different approaches alone there?

Let's see how a few turnouts go and get endure done.

You must be looking low 16s for 5k?

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I suspect I'll be looking for sub 16 pace for the first mile and see what happens from there, maybe a 5:05 opener but realistically I think 16:20 is a good target.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Aley will be telling you do some 4.55 mile reps if you're putting a 5.05 opener in ;)

But yeah 16.20 seems decent for you. Nicely in the range of doubling +1min to 10k, if not even modest for that.

Midweek 10 for me. Usual job, comfy legs, sweating loads, breathing a bit ;)
    7.05 job.

Checked strava, as I don't really like to do as so much stuff jumps out as odd, and Dom from HX had done some 8mile hilly tempo.
    What's up with that I hear you cry? It was from yesterday, lunchtime - the day after a 7.30pm race the night before.  Don't get why the next day for that.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Just actually double checked the splits for Tue, and the first km was actually 3.14 not 3.10. With the downhill that was quite an "easing" in job, probably a bit fuelled by being around 2nd at that stage.

Compare that to Battersea Park last year, quality field on the flat, going off well, but not feeling like it was a "ruin yourself " job in 3.15!

3.46 last km a bit polite too :)
  • Reg - Yes I might have a go again next year, the Masters races are probably better than the open ones as they are later on. MH - Spot on organisation wise. I think they put out all the Portaloos on the Sunday, ready for the 10,000, so there's loads to go in, plus you have loads of warm up space before the start.

SG - Ale's rep suggestions seem quite good tbh. Get em in!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    SC - yep the logic is sound - a principle of getting used to working at paces faster than you're aiming to race at. Noone can disagree with that.

I guess I just think more about doing faster reps than the average for my 5k races, rather than faster than the "too fast" first km :)

I will try later in the summer a go at the super fast kms off big rests, and maybe only 2 or 3 reps though.
    I tried Ric's 30x200, and I'm certainly open to advice, so will see how it goes.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Blimey - busy on here the past few days, coinciding with a training course, so little access online. Quick skim through, and sorry if I've missed anything, but definitely congrats to Simon - maybe off your PB but looks a blisteringly quick mile from where I'm sitting, and also to SG for a very solid performance at Burnham.