Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Aley - from the stuff you've overcome before that must be very annoying to have such problems from such an avoidable thing!

Up for the Arsenal game end of Sep, but it's a dodgy Monday nighter!

I do note that the Leeds Abbey 10k is the day after Wycombe play someone Yorkshireish like Rotherham away..but it'd be potentially 3 weeks of racing in a row - as you (and the thread know to your peril) I do like to weigh up (and labour) potentials even if I don't end up doing them!

Bus - I checked Slough at 8am and it was a "mere" 90%. Trotted off with 1 headfone earpiece working, and thought this is fine, THEN it started sweating madly after a mile Then mile 2 the second headfone earpiece went, so I had 4miles thinking, this is sweaty, this is breathy :D
    I dare say normal though - maybe an ever so slight remnant of the borderline cold there - but you have to work through, or you'd never get your runs in!

SC - i still cringe at that price, and your face when a tenner, that normally would comfortably get anything, not being enough :D 
    I dare say this many years on it's probably about £7 a pint, as £5s seem normal in London now...
    I also realise myself and my pal had our phones out as we didn't see the "No phones" sign!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    ps someone had a handheld BP monitor, so couldn't resist...

It does 3 sets each time, and I did 2 go throughs, and both came out as

138-84
    About 1hr 20 after a run, and 1 coffee on board.

Much more like it - ie a bit on the higher side as I'd expect, but not the urgent attention of the other day!
  • SG - I still can't get over Fulham last year, £18.64 for 2 Peronis and a coke :). So glad we stuffed them 3-0..
  • £10 for a pint of Brewdog and a small lemonade in Camden brewery bar couple of weeks back. Only spotted the Wetherspoons on the other side of the lock when I was drinking it :-)

• I don't go out much but when I do I am more than happy to pay some chav tax.

I have no idea what BP is all about, I've not had a blood pressure test since I was at school. Not had a blood test ever. I guess I get injured a lot but on the other side of the coin I've never been sick beyond a bad cold.

Went for a run last night straight off the commute bike home and it wasn't awful, not great but not awful. Might try and go for another run in the not too distant future.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It's one of those "hidden killers" Reg - but I dare say many go their whole life without knowing they're high and can be fine. But on the other hand...

£18.60 for 3 drinks! No thank you very much bob siree!
  • As compared to Sunderland away...3 Stella’s, 2 pints of bitter and a coke for £11.50. 

Track went went well tonight, 8 x 800 off 80 secs. Pretty consistent 2.25 and 2.26,s with a 2.22 to finish with. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Hills today then, was a little pushed for time, so ruled out the 2 hills that are 2.5m and 2.25 miles away, as by the time you counter in 4.5 -5miles of warmup & cool down AND the actual session that's quite a shift time wise.

Therefore, went to the hill closest to work.
    It's not very steep (ideal for steady stuff), but more than a "slope" (that'd you'd smash), so best bet seemed a medium hard job.

12x250metres off 250metre jog down

Ranged between 5.48 pace and an outlier single 6.04 (3secs slower than any other one), and averaged 5.56 pace.

One you think of as "light" but still a decent run around.

Will do a 3 later, and that's still 50m so far, on a cut back week, 10-12 sunday.
  • You'll have to pop over and join me at Primrose Hill - that will sort you out ;)

No running today after last night, apart from the couple of miles to the station this morning. Surrey road relays tomorrow, but in a ringers team as I'm not Surrey qualified.

If anyone knows the area - it's out of the track, up the slope to the road, dowm past the ebtrance to the tennis club, then a bugger of a hill - left down and a long sweep down to the top of the park, through the gates and around the outside of the park (where they all camp waiting for tennis tickets) and back into the track. Its about 2.8 miles I think. Then the pub crawl after...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    If it's steeper than the Murder Mile, 680feet over a mile, I'll let you have that ;)

Cheating as a ringer! I for one am shocked!
    One of our old boys turned out for some local AC lot in the 12 stage - chatted to loads of us all day, so it was inevitable someone would check his result - to see he wasn't in there - He was then was surprised when he ended up being disqualified along with his team (who had qualified) :D:D 
  • Oh no mate, it’s just a team entered but don’t actually count as such- all above board. I’m going first leg for the B team, 2nd leg is qualified for Cumbria and the last 4 can’t get in the first team ;)
  • Quality sessions chaps and good luck tomorrow Simon :smile:

My first race for ages tomorrow too....

Frustrating afternoon - had a simple ten minute job to replace a brake cable on my commuting bike. First the new cable really didn't want to go into the hole at the lever end, and that then took best part f half hour, then I found the old cable cap had rusted into the adjuster bolt - took another half hour and a ton of WD40 to get it out. Then, just as I thought I had it nearly finished, the little metal plate/washer thing that works with the cable clamp bolt to hold the cable in place broke into several pieces!!! This thing doesn't seem to exist as a spare part on the internet, and of course there are no local bike shops anymore, so I had to fashion something serviceable from a similar part from an old bike. It was similar but of course just not the right size and shape so needed hammer, pliers and swearing to get it to (hopefully) do the job! So, ten minute job turned into a two hour faff, and I now have WD40 all over my nice new t-shirt and trousers......Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!  

You don't get that sort of nonsense with running kit!
  • Nice hill session there SG, must have felt much better than 0.3mi reps? ;)

Hope you had a good run at the relays, SC.

Best of luck at the race Bus, shame about the bike issue! Like you say, don't get that with running gear!

Small session on Thursday, 3 x 6mins progression, (6mins), 20s strides. Misjudged the route and the first 6mins started on a corker of a hill, so HR was up massively to make the pace (7:20s), second was a cruise in 6:40s, followed by the best part of a mile for the last in just over 6-pace. Legs were a bit cooler by the time the strides came around, probably the sharp pace of the last 6mins and the hill.
    Plymouth Coasters 5 Miler today, with the only real aim being to run smoothly and controlled, although I wanted to beat my previous time here and get a season's best (both just sub-32). Thought I'd start out at 6:20s and see how I pick it up from there, as there's a hill from 3.5 to 4mi. Naturally, that didn't happen - first two miles both came in at 6:06, and feeling smooth. Slowed a little into the third, going over a footbridge and working my way into a no-mans-land, with a 6:13. Went through 5km in about 19:05 feeling very controlled, which I was pleased about. Slowed up the hill with a 6:35, and then closed with a 6:02.
    Took a few scalps in the first two miles, where people started too fast, and then also a couple in mile 3 before the hill. Kept my position, and had a good gap when I looked back from the top of the hill. Not sure where I finished overall, maybe around 6th/7th. Happy with my time of just sub-31, as I didn't feel like I was gunning it the whole way, and I didn't fall off.
    Maybe closer to 30 will be on the cards in a fortnight with a good lead in, and a flatter course with a faster field, and then the 10k a week after.
  • Good work Matt - way and target time and , as you say, suggests some good times in the next few weeks on faster course.

Beautiful day for a race today!  Shardeloes 10k is actually 6.4M, very hilly, and often with a couple of freshly ploughed fields to contend with.  I had no real idea of a goal, but though I'd be around 45 mins, hopefully top 20 and just a chance of the V50 prize. I felt surprisingly good on my warm up, and lining up on the start line felt like old times with a few faces I've not seen for years - all looking a bit greyer, but no less fit for that :smile:

The race sets off downhill on mowed grass, with a lap of a cricket pitch followed by a longish flat section alongside Shardeloes Lake (the peace of which is soon to be snatched away by HS2!) . I was determined to make this a controlled start to save energy for later, which I did, but still ended up in around 12th place with a 6:12 first mile. After this, the race turns steeply uphill for a while, then a sharp dog-leg back downhill across the first ploughed field. A bit of swapping of places back and forth over this section, but the field wasn't too bad - obviously plenty of walkers had been about to flatten it!   The route then turns sharp left up a LONG single track climb through a wood - which was actually a tarmac road the first time I did the route as the Amersham 5!  I used the narrowness to my advantage to take a bit of a breather, and  hold the guy behind me back :smiley:. Over the top, then along a lane, left across more fields and then into Mop End woods through a downhill, pretty fast, technical section. At the 4 mile point I was still in 12th and probably  still 1st V50, but really starting to feel the lack of race fitness or long tempos and beginning to fade - swiftly overtaken by the first lady, then a couple more - never helps mentally!

After a longish downhill then flat section across the edges of grassy field, just about holding my own, we then hit another climb up a long gravel track and I'm starting to go backwards.  I just about keep it together on the following gravelly downhill and then into the last mile now in around 17th - and still thinking I might be first V50. And then, the sting in the tail. Having done the race before, I know the route turns away from the finish area and up a hill before dog-legging back own it. I also know this field is often ploughed. This year though, it had been freshly ploughed and rilled, leaving it nigh on impossible to run across - imagine loose, thick, highly uneven soil the size of marbles, pitted with flints. Some people seem to manage better than others on this sort of stuff though, and while I was barely making forward progress, others closed ground, including one guy who was definitely over 50 :neutral: Even the downhill across this stuff toward the cricket pitch was bloody hard. At first I thought I could catch this guy - but not a chance! I then hit the field - one more lap of the pitch, slightly uphill to the finish and I could feel someone behind closing, and a quick glance suggested he may also be over 50!!! Damn!! Could I hold him off? NO.  Despite the smooth grass feeling dead easy after the last field, the effort had damn near killed me, and I had nothing left!!! So, over the line and immediately asking the two in front (tactfully!) what vet category they were. Turns out the faster of the two was a V60, but the guy who pipped me at the post was indeed a V50. As it happens, there was also another V50 ahead - but he only looked about 30!!!!

So, ended up 3rd V50 and low 20s (probably). Time was 45:26, so about what I expected, even if it was two minutes down on my previous slowest time on the course from 2017. Still, not a disaster, and it feels good to have got a tough race in. It was also a cracking day for hanging around after chatting to peeps drinking tea, and eating burnt sausages off the bbq :smiley:
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good stuff Matt, im sure you'll be better off at yr next race with today under yr belt.

Good to see you racing Bus, made me smile that you asked folks how old they were. I just guesstimate as they overtake, or i overtake them.

24 yday and 12 today. 4th longer long run weekend in a row.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Cracking stuff racers and long-ers.

Bus been a while. Great to see you back in some furious offroad stuff.

Brought back memories of someone asking if i was "under 40" about a decade ago at some 10k. Being still in my 20s id presumed he meant minutes!

Matt obligatory inconvenient hill thrown in! 30mins for 5 x2 at gsr? 😄

Tr good combo. 24 must feel a mental slog!

Slightly coldy still. Not sure it ever went but so low level it's negligible.

Cut down week ended with a 12 for a 62.
    Could have gone 10 but thought id stay a bit more in the habit for 12.
  • Great racing there Bus, shame about being pipped by the V50! I wonder if the farmer tilled the field just prior to the race on purpose? :D 

TR, that's a nice double up for the weekend! How have you been keeping your mileage? What are your targets for Abo?

SG, at least the hill is there for everyone! Must admit, I do quite like the hills in races when I'm in good form - put 40s into the chap I scalped at the 5km mark.
    I always seem to feel borderline cold-y, especially when I have bigger chunks of quality in the week. Almost always seems to amount to nothing!

Looking at the results, I came in 5th with 30:59 - just scraping the sub-31.
    I'd really like for this to be the year I tick off the sub-60 10mi, but that would need a low-37 at the 10km in 3 weeks. I should be able to manage mid- to low-38 (and PB) - so, from that viewpoint I'll be happy to grab a time close to my PB (62:54) at GSR.
  • Cheers chaps.

Looking good for Abo TR with those long, long runs under the belt....

Yes, I think he did Matt - 300 runners going over it saves him having to reinstate it :smile: It was looking pretty flat when I left!

And it came out as 20th, so that's good :smile:

Still, judging by Po10, I should have beaten both the V50s and the V60 in front of me - longer tempos and some race fitness needed!

Are you racing next week SG, or just a cut-back for recovery?

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Matt - hope GSR is a still day then. 80+ mpw most weeks for me, which is solid enough given no doubles. Id like to go sub 255 but Bus would be checking my age if i was racing him, so 255 could be tough.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    80s off no doubles is animal! Presume that's in 7 days without a rest day? Guess itd have to be!

Bus- just a Moz preference. Cut back in a 4th week. Something i very rarely purposely throw in. But then i suppose it isn't that often you designate a training only block as racing is the glamour!

Very hard to recreate training from yesterday as context can never be quite the same. But keeping fresh in the mind and keeping desire to keep on year after year are the keys!

That's why something like endure was a superb novelty. Great team trip, still competitve but uncomparable to anything, with little pressure and not ever flat out and maybe just a hint of the future when trying to grind the same distance races year in year out feels a bind.

Mh we'll have to have a proper hi at Gsr if i can force myself to click that button and get in!
  • Fair enough SG.

TR - no chance of me doing a marathon anytime soon!!!  Just hearing about your 24M Sunday runs makes me remember why :smile:
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah it's enough on a sat night thinking...ahhh up early to do 14 tomorrow.
    But 24!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I get em done early on a saturday, so it doesnt loom over the weekend. Theres no pace to it, but its 3hrs + in the approx 8mm armchair, (24 in 3:10 yday) so more about time than effort......yday i did a route that is 9m out (with a 4m extra loop in it early), so at 13m i had to run 9m to get home, i then tagged on a mile, and then another. Next weekend im doing a 1/2 which will make a nice change.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Nice work on the bike bus, I would have just ordered a whole new brake! Sounds like a a fun race too, nice result.

Good work on the five miler Matt.

24 miles seems like a very long way but when you're in marathon training it's surprising how a 20+ miler can feel almost normal.

After a summer blighted by injury and being too busy to train properly I managed to get a race in yesterday. Club champs standard distance race at Dorney; 1500m swim 40k bike and 10k run. It was actually long all round though. I'd been out at a family birthday party the night before so this was just a bit of fun. Glorious day for it. I was a bit rusty with regards to the preparation and made plenty of errors!

I took a gel just before the swim but found myself all wetsuited up with another in my hand so had no choice but to just eat the second one then and there. Swim went fairly well despite not swimming all year cruised round about 3-4 minutes slower than my best though. 

Fumbled my way through transition, took me ages to get the wetsuit off whereas normally I'd have it down to my waist before I even got back to my bike. Bike leg was good lots of overtaking and not a lot of wind for Dorney. I actually did the entire ride in the same gear, normally despite being flat you need at least one gear to take into account the wind but I just took it easier when the wind was behind. Rode 1:04 at 25mph which is reasonable round there as there's a lot of corners and other bikes to navigate around.

On to the run and after another slow transition I made the massive mistake of using the vaporflys with no socks, man they are rough! Run was 4 x 2.5 km out and backs and after the first out and back I missed the turn around point and ran an extra 100 metres or so! About 4km in my lace then came undone too so all in all a bit of a mess. With 2.5km to go I was told I was somehow in third place so I kept my eye out for runners going well and wearing a similar number and I spotted them both a fair bit ahead but maybe catchable. Caught one with about 200m to go and was rapidly closing on the other but just ran out of road and finished 5 seconds behind in second. Of course I wasn't sure they were even in my wave. All in all I was happy to get through it unscathed. Took it fairly easy on the run but still covered the 10k well 6.4 miles at 6:20 pace with the last mile being the fastest.

I was 6th across all the age-groups and 2nd in the 40-49 race, which was a separate wave. Probably would have been close to 1st overall if I was fully fit.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice un Reg, the run is just one side of the lake then? Back and forward on that one side, rather than just letting you rampage 2 laps of the whole thing?

Probs a minefield with bikes flying around?

Although you do have the inner and outer laps of the lake? Well, on one side for normal use, but presumably they can open the other side's outer loop out for proper competition?

In my 2 goes there, I have wondered which would be the less windy option, probably judging the lower bit right by the lake ever so slightly so?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    6 today, nice temp, but just like being some sort of air swimming pool. Drenched I was!
  • parkrun at Wycombe Rye on Saturday came out at 20:08 so if I can keep that level of fitness up and find a course without grass playing fields and steps I should be able to get a 19.xx before the end of the year, or maybe even just take Wycombe seriously. I tend to go out on Friday for an easy run and get carried away and then I run down to parkrun (2.5 miles) and have the run back at the back of my mind so maybe a Friday off and a drive to parkrun will see me by.

13 on Sunday for a 43 mile week. Strava shows about 40 miles a week every week since Nov 12th 2018 so good spell of consistent training. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
     I tend to go out on Friday for an easy run and get carried away and then I run down to parkrun (2.5 miles) 
    Sounds quite a long run if you go direct from your Friday run to parkrun!
    Definitely cut that down  :o

• Great race reports from MH, Bus, PMJ and Reg, certainly encouraging signs that things are coming together now, cracking weekend for it.

Surrey relays were good, the most achingly middle class walk from Earlsfield station to Wimbledon track, loads of yummy mummies in the coffee and chocolate café after the Parkrun..dahling..

I was on leg 1 for the B team, with my club mate going for the A team, some decent runners in the front. the course is about 2.9 miles and I thought I'd go out quite hard and try and stay with the leaders as much as possible in the opening section, up to the road and left all the way past the entrance to the tennis club.

Bit chaotic as the pavement isn't massive so you're basically pinning pedestrians to the wall as you leg it past! then it's up the steep (300m or so) hill to the highest part of the course. I was only 5-10 m off the front at that point, but as soon as they had reached the top the first 2-3 started pulling away. You then have a flat section for 200m before you have a steep downhill, then another 400m of flat to take you to the park entrance (other end). Starting to flag a bit now as the fast start has done me a bit. But I hang on in 6th as we go right to the outside of the park and finish with a 300m on the track, coming back in 15.07. Our team ended up 12th, the A team in 4th. Happy enough time wise, probably equating to a 16m 5k, fastest V40+ by 25 seconds. Fastest on the day was 14.08 - link to results here if anyone interested..

https://www.surreyathletics.org.uk/road/champs/2019/SurreyRoadRelaysResults.xlsx

Horrible hot 10 miles yesterday from Cranfield to Bedford track (HHH pub crawl Saturday evening not helping..)

• Good consistency Phil and a nice relay leg SC.

If they sent us all the way round the lake you wouldn't be able to get through for lap two as you have the bike course behind the boat house and transition/swim exit in front of the boat house. I have seen it on a single lap race but that then becomes slightly less than 5km. Oh and there's no hiding from the wind at Dorney.