Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    10 miles this morn though, 7.21 pace.
    Felt a bit of a slog near the end, but mile 10 was the 2nd quickest so can't have been too bad.

Not helped by adrenaline after the Wyc Ipswich late drama yesterday and yabbering about it online a bit too late!
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    SG - I bought my (midget) Dad a pair for xmas. With 4 pairs of VF in rotation at the moment I couldn't justify a further pair for myself. I did slip in a pair of Peg Turbo for me to try as a daily training shoe :-)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    4 pairs! Genius!

I haven't raced since August now, and that was a relay, so racing in the 4%s is even further back!
  • Shoe chat coming out of my eyeballs. 

Reg - I wouldn't bother reading too far back. You've not missed much  ;) hope all is well mate.

12 x 1 min hard, 1 min steady this morning, last bit of quality on foot pre Valencia. Looking forward to a bit of sunshine. 
  • Wool - 4 pairs? Bloody hell. You must own the most in the country :)

Reg - Hope you can get back on the horse soon and 'life' isn't too serious...Joe - Do envy you, with the sun bit, not the race, so miserable this morning..

So training last night. Down on numbers, but we were set 6 x 1200, on the muddy in patches grass. Not spectacular, 4.05-4.08 range. Got a stitch on the last one and jogged in. Nowt until LFOTM now..
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    4 Pairs of VPs! I have one pair with <10 miles on, used to be just the entry fee and maybe a bit of parking now you need to factor in race shoe depreciation.

Good luck in your annual Valencia trip Joe, what's the target one sandbag or two?

Sounds like you're steadily getting back to full flow SG.

I managed  5.5 miles at lunch today, found a route out to the Lookout (Bracknell Forest) for future longer runs I could get a few miles in the forest to add to that.

Sounds pretty decent for a muddy slippy field SC.

I am so slow and feel very heavy even though I am not that heavy at about 4kg over race weight. Nearly clocked a 9 minute mile today. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    I nearly bought a 3rd pair today for that £102 usong that 30% extra code, but they only had orange, and i like to fly under the radar as much as possible. But as Stevie says, 125 is still solid, especially as they are for race day only.

Wool - how are you going to rotate 5 pairs ? You must be training in them too?
  • TR- Looking at road race photos these days you’ll blend in ok soon mate ;) If I was wearing my Adios I'd look out of place! Black trainers?????
  • You can get them in red TR Image result for adidas sponsored athlete wearing nike vaporfly
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Simon - theyd go with my black cap, black T shirt and Black baggy shorts on race day.

Reg - red shoes are always fast ? The are about to launch white ones to go with the pink and green. So next black friday I'll be able to watch the price of white ones rather than green or pink.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Think my favourite shoes ever were those Adidas Adizero 2 ones. Superb colours and a great shoe. Discontinued :(

Now I alternate between those 4%s (of course!) and Brooks Hyperions. The latter are pretty light, and 1 in 3 races I'd walk away with one calf very tight.

6 miler today at home, and then a race 11-7 or so shift at work, due to some major bit of work deading at 5, and me wanting to drill through it after.

Club AGM is after, but will have to see if i can make it.
    Deffo not doing the XC, it's local, but I can tell from the "easy" runs I'm still a fair way off, and that xc course is a nightmare. Loads of hills, and last year I was 9th home in the club - first time I hadn't at least made a scoring team's 6 in about 40 of these races! And despite being a little under the weather if I remember right, i was still fitter than this year :D 
  • TR - This guy has coloured them in red to disguise them from Adidas, his sponsor.

SG - I am going to target the Reading one before Christmas, I won't be fit but maybe fit enough to start in the first couple of rows.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Reg - nice i wondered how the pros got around sponsor issues, then i saw a report that the irish guy that did 2.12 recently allegedly had some disguised ones too. Other brands are supposed to be developing their own.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭

this is going to hurt Joe's eyeballs, sorry, but in full response to TR's question about rotation....

I 1st got in to the VF when they very 1st came out and I bought my 1st pair back in Aug '17, full price from the Nike store (was drunk actually, got a bit hairy on the treadie on Oxford St!). The banter back then was that they'd die within 100 miles. They were in limited supply then so having run a couple of PBs I used a voucher I had to buy another pair. Then the flyknit came out, supply was still limited so bought those. Then the Next% came out and I saw our DD V75 guy run a 97 HM in them at Mhd and went straight home and bought some.

Of course they don't die like everyone said they would and they are now free and easy to get. So, I have 4 pairs with 430, 110, 50, 45 miles on them. I only ever wear them to race in so it looks like I'll take them all to my grave. Believe it or not I have actually tried to share them with others but being a midget even Jill doesn't take my size!

My wife is well paid. Not me, you need brains to earn money :-)

• Wool. Interesting point about the V75 guy running fast and then you buying some straight after.

I think the popularity of them shows how much people are after a PB, much more than I thought to be honest and perhaps it shows how much it means to people? Perhaps I'm more chilled than most? I can't say that I don't get a pang of 'grr' when someone I know that I'm way faster over 10k (say 60-90 secs quicker) is running close to my times with the aid of the 4%, but generally I'm ok with it.

At the moment there's not a massive moral dilemma as they're quite expensive still, but when they get cheaper...
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Wowzers, if you don't count as well paid Wool, I must class as "breadline" :D:D 

Went what I can only describe as being a little "snow blind" earlier, staring at a spreadsheet. Not blurry or dizzy, but just a bit off.
    One hot choc later and back decent again, can only imagine it was a dip into blow blood sugar depletion! Probably a little run down - which I guess can happen both with the 2month recovery from 0 to 65, plus this time of year anyway!
  • I do spread sheets all day, you're going to get the odd flip out now and again.

Eye strain covers many symptoms, not just 'tired eyes'.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I have got that "brain burn" of sheets before, but not that early in, as I'd only turned up 11ish. Although we have white walls that do give the snow effect!

But a lot better post hot choc so must have been that.
  • I get it when watching presentations for several hours in a row!

The only reason I don't wear 4%'s is my sponsor won't allow it too :wink:

Wool - how small? I'm a 7.5 :smiley:

First tempo run in an absolute age yesterday. Went out at lunch thinking I'd do an easy 5M, as the legs had been stiff, but somehow just got straight into with virtually no warm-up! First mile in 6:50, then another 5.2  averaging under 6:30 to give 40:47 for 10k. Not exactly blisteringly fast, but given recent standards, not too shabby either and felt alright after too.  Might even consider doing Andy Reading next week as a solid sub 40 should be on the cards (even if it slightly grates that my last outing there was 36:16 :-( )

Went to an awards ceremony last night in that there London (we won :smile:) and never sleep well in a hotel, especially after a shed load of wine so pretty tired today and thought a day off would be more productive than running! Double mud tomorrow :smile:

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wool - well you have got yr moneys worth out of the 450m pair. I guess you can save the Abo green ones for A races, and use the other 2 pais on B and C races. I'll give the 4% a go at Chichester 10k and then worthing or fleet (depening if its an mp or full beans day).
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Tidy enough there Bus, as most likely you should be able to boot a couple of mins minimum off that in a 10k all in.

TR - that Chichester must be quicker than the original course? That one started up a 1/2km hill, and had another one later! Although did finish with a downhill, which was welcome! Did 34.43 there once, blooming heck!

Really odd day today, had a task at work I could only start past a 5pm lockdown, so got in a couple of hours later than usual, Did my 6 - a little tired, then had that weird low BS thing (normally, I'm high the other BS before anyone says it ;) )

Odd timed run at 4.20..felt nippy, but half was probbo fuelled off that hot choc and the dark streets of slough motivated me to get it done!

Then at work til 9.30.

Wouldn't do every day would it!

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Simon/Aley; I should be able to make LFOTM barring work or travel issues; plan to wear Windle top as per photo on this forum so should be recognizable. Think I'll spot you Simon from various pics you've posted (except your new forum one ;)) but not sure I would you Aley. What top will you be in?

How long do you guys have afterwards? Prob need to be away about 2/2:30pm myself so a bit of time for a chinwag over a drink somewhere hopefully. Any suggestions as to where as don't know the area at all well. BTW is the course pretty flat and is there anywhere safe to leave valuables?
  • You should spot me Pete! Won't be many others wearing an Alehouse jacket!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - yes, quicker course if its not windy, as the motor race cct is very exposed.
  • very quiet this month. Great that Pete can come down, can grab a beer later. Group meeting ;)
  • Sorry guys, not going to make it down, tied up at work. Let us know how you get on. 
  • You may have to get very close to Simon's face to recognise him from his pictures.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    So the eagerly awaited (mostly to meet 2 forum legends in Simon and Aley :)) LFOTM 5k in Hyde Park today . Never done one of these before, but trying to make up a bit for lost races in recent months and the promise of a beer or two after was enough to tempt me in. Not really sure how long it would take with my drive/tube route in, but all went well (sorry SG ;)) and was there very early about 11:30am (an hour pre start). Hardly anyone around so tried to suss out a bit of the course and noted an uphill start then sharp downhill together with some tight turns.  Not ideal, but when I got back to the start and finally some officials had stirred into action, I found out it was a reserve course due to Winter Wonderland occupying a fair bit of their usual one.

Looking around at the start the likely quality looked as good as Battersea summer 5k's and certainly more crowded than those. Simon had warned me the start was manic and also not to go off too quick, so heeded that sound advice; only problem was a runner just in front took a major tumble on the 1st bend bringing about 100 others behind him almost to a halt.

With that early drama and the uphill start was glad the 1st k still went by in 3'55, but conscious my pace needed stepping up to get my target for this one of sub 19. Along the top path it was at least a bit downhill if still too crowded and muddy in parts. The quality of field helped keep my pace steady and through the next k in 3'45, so a bit better. Then swinging round back to near the start again for lap 2 and, despite the small incline just before 3k, another 3'45 bagged. The next was almost the same and then its mostly downhill till the last 150 metres. Kept my position ok till out-sprinted by 2 or 3 on the run in, but still a fast last k of 3'32 to finish in 18'42. Quite happy with that; 18 secs under target and only 11 secs slower than my only BP in the Summer which was a flatter course.

Really nice to meet Simon and Aley there and very much enjoyed the beers and chat (mostly running and football, so pretty much ideal ;) ) in the pub Aley recommended. Will leave them to reveal details of their races though.

Overall glad I ran it; does take a large chunk out of the day, but if you have the time would recommend it and will try to do one on the normal course some time soon.   

• Good day. Pretty happy all round. I did 16.05/6,  Pete -  can’t remember exactly but he was happy. Aley also happy with his 23.xx. So generally happy :)

post run debrief involved a lot of football talk. 
  • Evening! Back on the train heading north. 

Good to meet up with Pete and SC! Would be good to get a thread meet at one of these. Doubt I will be down until the end of March though. In the end there were 7 of us in the pub, although only three from here.

Most of the talk was about SG of course, given that it is his thread. Don't remember football or running even getting a mention. 

As SC mentioned, was quite happy with my run: just under 23:10 I think. Gradually getting back to it, the times suggest. 

Now decide which of the paragraphs above are true or false.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.