Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Bit more than  waterlogged in Marlow!

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/warnings?location=+Marlow

Easy 3.6M in the rain today, just to loosen the legs and get some fresh air! A few strides at the end felt quite good but still not sure I can be arsed with the trip to Hyde Park tomorrow or not!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Missed the key detail of it being a 10miler today. Whoops.. Obvs 7.17 being pace not a very random mileage.

The houses about 2 metres from the river heavily rely on a solid wall!

Sounds like classic pre race feel. You just need a terrible feeling warm up to complete it!
  • Treadmill recovery run for me this morning after 400m rep session Tues and 10mile progression yesterday morning. Had a couple too many cooking lunch for the family yesterday and woke up today feeling like i'd just been dug up. Needed the TM to keep my feet moving for me.
    SG - I would have been super impressed had you stopped your run at 7.17m.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ALD presume that's you!!
  • Old email address / Old username :wink:
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That and not posting for about 3years!
  • Well, am back (again) boss. Ready to take on 2020 and surpass 2010/11. I see I have about 1500 pages of the thread to catch up on.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Good..will be a big plus if you stay properly involved.
    Getting stevie see back would be supreme too
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ps read every word son.

Every sumptious word.
    It's like a soap opera.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Aiming to boot some 200 or 400s out tomorrow as bar a few 200s before and after a tempo haven't done any remotely fast running for yonks!

Any thoughts on which and how many? 👍
  • Mega training past few days Stevie. Well done on the xc Simon. You know you want to Bus!

I've kept it mostly short and sweet earlier in the week anticipating a Christmas Day parkrun (which I got round in 16.39) and a half marathon effort workout at the local Boxing Day 10k (probably top 10 finish) in bang on 36 I think. 
  • Decent couple of races there Muddy. Very swift Parkrun! Currently down at the folks house and there was a ridiculous 1345 finishers at the Poole Parkrun Christmas Day. 

Did the Poole 10k this morning. Now I’ve done races that you can classify in the ‘wet n windy’. This was taking it up to a new level. First watched my kid do the 1 mile relay and then it was our turn. So this starts going back towards the Parkrun finish, around the cricket pitch the wrong way, then out to basically three Parkrun loops. We started and a group of around 8 youngsters all shot off together, I just got past the V55 vet I knew and knuckled down. Probably the most isolated I’ve ever been in a race, generally 2-300m behind the leading pack and 1-200m ahead of my pursuers. The road out to the lake was particularly windy, nearly bringing you to a stop. Anyway got through 5k in 17.27 and made my mind up to try and get sub 35. So round again to 8k on 28.12, leaving me 6.50 for the last 2k. This was the wind behind you section, so dug in as there were a couple who had drifted off the back of the leading pack I tried to catch (in vain), but finished in 34.28. Got £15 for 1st V40 at least. Found out after that two women had fallen in the boating lake during the race! Weather has been ridiculous, been pissing down most of the day, heavy through the football and most of the evening. Longish run tomorrow i think. 
  • Stevie G said:
    Aiming to boot some 200 or 400s out tomorrow as bar a few 200s before and after a tempo haven't done any remotely fast running for yonks!

Any thoughts on which and how many? 👍
    What about 10 x 400 or 20 x 200?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Went for the 16x200 from the summer programme.
    At peak I'd be looking 34 for these, today was half 35 and half 36.

Certainly a rude awakening turning over at that effort, and aside from a slightly extended break in the bushes after rep 10, and subsequent bungling of that next rep's recording (realised i'd not started the watch as i finished it!), probably as expected right now.

Light wind, but not a big thing, but I suppose unless you're the short distance heroes of the thread you have to work your way back to the fast stuff!

ps Muddy, i forget how close to V50 you are, but you're going to be an absolute animal on the scene in that category!! Pots galore job!

That's one heck of a Christmas day effort! And a 10k time I'd probably have to work pretty hard to get currently, as a mere tempo for you.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    And Simon, it takes a super windy and wet day for you to still casually break my 10k pb :D 

One benefit of doing this random day of work, is that barely anyone else is in, and even leaving the track at about 8.28, normally a time that'd really have my ass flapping. I cruised in for about 8.45! Amazing! Love those empty roads!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Simon - you've  had a busy few days. Well done on the XC thats a big race to podium in. I feel your coastal racing pain in the wind. I was trying to do a session with a temp in it yday and lost my cap. Coastal running is tough.

SG - i was going to suggest some 39 sec reps (eg 30mins of 30sec/30sec).
  • > @SCoombes2 said:
    > Decent couple of races there Muddy. Very swift Parkrun! Currently down at the folks house and there was a ridiculous 1345 finishers at the Poole Parkrun Christmas Day. 
    > Did the Poole 10k this morning. Now I’ve done races that you can classify in the ‘wet n windy’. This was taking it up to a new level. First watched my kid do the 1 mile relay and then it was our turn. So this starts going back towards the Parkrun finish, around the cricket pitch the wrong way, then out to basically three Parkrun loops. We started and a group of around 8 youngsters all shot off together, I just got past the V55 vet I knew and knuckled down. Probably the most isolated I’ve ever been in a race, generally 2-300m behind the leading pack and 1-200m ahead of my pursuers. The road out to the lake was particularly windy, nearly bringing you to a stop. Anyway got through 5k in 17.27 and made my mind up to try and get sub 35. So round again to 8k on 28.12, leaving me 6.50 for the last 2k. This was the wind behind you section, so dug in as there were a couple who had drifted off the back of the leading pack I tried to catch (in vain), but finished in 34.28. Got £15 for 1st V40 at least. Found out after that two women had fallen in the boating lake during the race! Weather has been ridiculous, been pissing down most of the day, heavy through the football and most of the evening. Longish run tomorrow i think. 

Great running SC considering you had little competition to work off. Out of interest how do you feel effort / breathing wise when you hit the 5km mark in that race? I remember back in the day that the final 4km of any relatively decent 10km race were hanging on.
  • SG 34secs per 200m is around per mile no? That's still some decent running everything considered. Imagine if you had a bit more rest between reps (ignoring the bush stop) you could hit 33s.

60 odd mins easy today, with 6 x 10secs hill sprints towards end. Off 2mins recovery. Parkrun tomorrow and Long run on Sunday should end a nice week.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ALD-  I have to get back to hitting 34s first, let alone 33s :)

Sounds plenty in your week to spice things up.

I need to start putting some 15s in, so this weekend needs to be the first. 
    Probably best having tomorrow as the rest day, just makes for an odd Sunday, as Wycombe have a game at 3pm!
    More sensible than the Premier league making some teams play Thursday then Saturday though.
  • missed a crucial number out of the post, SG. 4.48 per mile?

Is there really that much difference between 35-33? Its not top end speed surely? You wouldn't be able to run them all so consistently off 1min rest. bet 33s would be doable now off 2-3mins rest between reps. Depends on goal of the session though.
  • Cracking 10k Simon! Sounds pretty fierce if folks are being blown into lakes!!!

That's a very swift parkrun there MF!!!! As SG says, when you hit V50 you'll be scooping up the trophies!

Nice session SG.

Welcome back ALD :smiley:

Well, I dragged my sorry, turkey and beer addled arse into London today. Glad I did, as I got there with minutes to spare after a warm up jog from Marylebone, conditions were perfect, and I managed to crack sub 19 just in time for the year end :smiley:

I've been struggling with anything close to 6mM pace for anything all year, and beginning to think those days were gone. Splits today were 5:47, 6:03, 6:08 and some scraps for 18:47 (tbc) total. I was expecting to crash and burn after the first 5:47, but, although it felt pretty hard, it never quite got to the vom stage.  Considering how much I've drunk and eaten in the past few days and how little speedwork I've been doing the last few months I'm happy enough with that!!!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    ALD, of course by maths, 2miles at sub mile pb pace is decent. 
    But i've hit 34s for this sesh last couple of years, and 33 when 12 reps. So it's expectations really. I suppose it's the knock on down the chain. If you're off on the shortest, you'll be off on all the other reps down.

Without dipping too much into the "excuse" locker, that Jock Itch from Fetch was accusing me of the other day :D, it "probably" isn't peak time of year for busting juice on the track for short stuff. And possibly you wouldn't do a double digit run the day before...

A super vet at our club, 55ish reckons he does his 200 "reps" at about 28. Now i've no reason to doubt him, as if he could stay fit, he'd be competing for serious records at that age group, and did something insane like a 2.07 a couple of years ago. But he's not on strava, and I can't imagine him madly clicking his watch or listening to someone barking splits out!

28s!? I'm certain i'd struggle to boot one out at that pace.

He does seem to spend 6months a year injured though! But I suppose when you've always been a track guy, it's ingrained, and must be hard to keep ticking over the pain of the short distance, versus the relative cruising we do for longer distances!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice one Bus, we need a couple of race jaunts for next year for certain! Keep the dream alive an that!

Relays, xcs, 5ks and endure are fun, but you can't beat a proper hub race, number on job.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps best get off home, but i'll give it a couple more days, then devise the usual template for the year's highlights summary.

Always a good read.

Mad to say that we're just a few more days to go before we enter the TENTH year of this thread!!

TENTH!  <3
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Bloody hell, thread is older than my son. I started running when he was 3!

Well done Bus on being well under 19, the consistent miles have been accruing so it's not come out of nowhere.

Great 10k Simon! I think I'd like to get somewhere near that on NYE.

Been umming and ahhing about going out for a recovery jog today. Last rest day was Sunday but need to get a good few miles in (thinking about half/marathon goals) then rest for the 10k on NYE.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    By the letter of the law 2019 is already the tenth separate year we've been going, thinking about it!

I should probably reword that around March or so is the actual tenth anniversary!
  • Cheers MF. Numbers are weird anyway! Despite being just a youthful V50, next year is my 7th decade. Telling the Vets UK FB site I did a sub 19 just before my 7th decade has got some rather amazed reactions :smiley:
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The 7th decade you've been alive in.

In 5days i can worryingly say im 40 "next year".
    Frig me!
  • Well done today, Bus! I'm aiming for the March edition, by which time I will be well into my 8th decade, my eldest pointed out yesterday! It is more worrying that he will be in his 5th.

SG: Ric would of course have suggested 20x one 200 every minute...
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but ric also questioned the character of some of us and more worryingly was repulsed at bus' adonis like topless form 😄👍