Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you are on th mend now then SG.

6m easy yday, then Stubbington 10k today. Last yr i did 38.28 for 130th  this yr 37.05 my watch for 70th (hopefully it took me 6 secs to cross start) on a windy day. Chichester in 3 weeks should be at least 30sec quicker, so hopefully well under 37, which puts me on the path to 80min at fleet and down towards 2.50 at vlm. Didnt bother wasting the 4% on a windy day either, so they are still unused.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good work TR, that's a great time with more to come off as well!

SG - you must be alright now then I reckon :smile:

LSR on tired legs today, after far more speed work in one week than I've done for yonks.  The constant gloopy mud made it all highly pleasurable (not!). Hey ho, 15 done to make a nice round 50 for the week.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    New 10k world record, which included 2 new 5k records (though only one official) and he wasn't even wearing those shoes :smiley:

https://www.athleticsweekly.com/event-news/rhonex-kipruto-breaks-world-10km-record-in-valencia-1039927459/?fbclid=IwAR04uTUO564JrGj7WpCeaIraM-b9gZFc_71b79BaAumeQIradq6xAUoZYao

I do hope the course was measured right!
  • Excellent 10k TR - in the wind too. Great improvement.

Stevie & Bus - well done on the long runs.

Well I didn’t break any world records :) but managed a pb in the (wet) Brass Monkey half marathon this morning .. 1:15.40 on chip. I tied up a lot in the last 3 miles, perhaps something to do with my ‘long’ runs not being much more than 10 miles the last few weeks. I’ve had a rotten week with illness so it was pleasing to be able to maintain a decent pace and not feel like utter crap, though I was very much baby giraffing it towards the baggage area post race.
  • Excellent racing TR & MF.
    Good to hear from you SW. Thought your Strava feed had been a bit light post Berlin. Good luck with the new plan & your marathon target 🎯 
    Decent week then Bus.
    I was back at Bideford parkrun yesterday chasing the 19:xx which eluded me on Xmas Day. After feeling strong on the 3.5K wu I was feeling reasonably optimistic in spite of the 20+mph winds. After 200m I was in 3rd place with a number of runners breathing down my neck. Gradually they dropped away whilst I maintained the gap to 2nd. Just after 1K, on an out & back section, he darted off the course to tie a shoelace whilst the lead runner came charging back towards me. At the turn I had a 40-50m lead over the chase group which now contained the inept shoelace tier. We were now into the wind & the effort:pace ratio rose markedly but I held strong gradually increasing my lead as the chase group fragmented. 2 more full laps followed which necessitated some awkward overtaking manoeuvres on the out & back section before the final short lap. I was dying into the wind by now but knew every 500m auto-lap had been under 2 minutes so knew I should make it OK. I knew the course was slightly longer than the exact 5K I’d clocked previously due to a wider line on 2 bends during the out & back section so I wasn’t surprised when the watch beeped 5K 20-30m before the line. I was pleased to see 19:43 on the watch & take 2nd (only 3:02 behind the winner 😮 ) It was much windier than last week, a harder course than Barnstaple due to the number of tight turns (especially the dead turn on each of the 3 large laps), laps (& hence overtaking) & a short ramp on each lap & I’d done 54M in the previous 5 days rather than having a couple of days rest. I then ran 13.1M along the Tarka Trail (an old railway line now a cycle path) back to the car so 18M for the day. Just a hilly 7.8M today at 7:58 before breakfast then a 15M tandem ride along Devon lanes which also featured several sharp climbs.
    That’s my biggest week since early last Spring: 80M 😎
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Taken my pb down by 1 second you cheeky rascal Muddy.

You've left the usual room for improvement in there too I see :)

Very solid race from you as well TR very promising going forward...I almost forgot to say that, as I'd read it hours ago, but thought "I'll comment later"

Bus - after some London 2012 geezer being doped up breaking recently, let's hope this is legit.

Sounds a heck of a week there Jools, tough parkrun, enjoyed the report a lot. 

A long run on top, and the sort of crazy exploits that are always a pleasure to read :)

• Good to see you weren't out for too long SG, good long run. 

Good improvement Jools, are you doing a spring marathon this year?

Excellent PB Muddy! Definitely a big marathon to come from you. Have you got one booked in?

Great 10k TR, you've beaten my PB! 2.55 should be well within your capabilities with those sort of times.

Absolutely loved XC on Saturday, wish I'd started racing it sooner! Course was undulating with a couple of muddy sections and a long drag through the start finish line which was also into wind. Probably started a bit too far back but settled into a nice rhythm early on. Was a bit surprised to see my HR at 180 but thought it would just have to stay there. Tried to keep a lid on things the first 2 laps and was just passing groups slowly using the tactic of not racing the uphills then pushing past on the downhill and flat sections. Started racing a bit more the final 2 laps and passed a load more runners without being overtaken. Put a huge sprint in the final 400m uphill section to try and pass a Tipton runner who I just caught before the line!

Finished 127th and 6th counter for the team which I'm really happy with on debut. Looking forward to the next one already!
  • StevieWh - I'm booked in for Manchester. Well done on the cross country, and even looking forward to the next one - wow :)

StevieG - You know I didn't know your pb, right ? :) Now time for me to get back to base training again and log some bigger mileage, and go again in April.

Jools - That's great to be able to hit that 5k top effort in an 80 mile week.
  • Good racing TR (very decent knowing how windy that course can be) and Muddy - swift half and no wonder you were in bits at the end if you haven't been feeling great. SW - Welcome back and good xc, sensible approach

Jools - PR sounds interesting course! Good mileage Bus and SG.

So the latest Surrey League was at Beckenham on Saturday. As the last 2 xc had gone off OK, I thought I would go out a bit harder than usual. Course was good, it's a golf course that has been left to grow. The 'top' where you start I a bit sloppy, but then it's down for a few up and downs on firmer grass in the woods, before you come back up towards the house, back through the start to start the 2nd lap. It was 2 laps then a slight extra bit to the finish.

Felt ok after that first 'oh god here we go again' feeling - felt that I was in a better place than normal. Only got overtaken by a couple of super vets who started late, beat who I wanted to beat though. Sadly just outside the top 50 in 52nd, but better than the 72nd last time out and managed to make the scoring 10. The team packed well to come 3rd too. Good day.

• Jools - That's great to be able to hit that 5k top effort in an 80 mile week.
    But was it top effort? I know you're an advocate of HR training so what do you make of the 2 runs.
    Barnstaple 4/1/20 Ave HR 167 well rested
    Bideford 11/1/20 Ave HR 161 big week's training & back at work.
    StevieWh said:
    Good improvement Jools, are you doing a spring marathon this year?
    Yes. Back at Brighton. Well done on the XC
    That's a decent improvement Simon.

• Jooligan -When I'm well rested I'm much more able to support runs at the top of my range so that could explain Barnstaple being higher ? My heart rate can be suppressed when fatigued too. However I just thought it sounded like a hard fought effort from your report ! But maybe that was just in the context of your week's training ?

Simon - Cheers & well done on the team podium
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    So much excellent racing going on I don't know where to start with the plaudits :)

Guess its got to be Muddy as a 1'15'xx HM so early in the year and over 85% WAVA is so standout. That you feel (rightly by the sound of it) there are reasons you can go better still just shows you should be able to sweep up v50 pots almost at will later in the year.

SW great XC that; looks a great performance in a super strong league. Simon ditto (as usual ;) )

Good to see you back in top form Jools; nice report from Bideford too (what makes you go all the way there by the way?). I have a friend down that way I visit now and then and have done Barnstaple and Tamar when down with him. He keeps telling me to try Bideford ("fast") and Woolacombe Dunes ("horribly slow but an experience!"). Any views on those two? 

Great 10k TR and hugely impressive improvement being a v50!  There's no hope for most of us older v50's now with the likes of you, and soon to be Muddy, in the ranks. Agree with others a sub 2'50 looks a goer. Fleet HM is the England Masters HM event this year so you will probably beat a lot of those in the England vests (not me though as I'm not even trying to qualify this year as realize now I'm out of my depth). 

So much good racing going on I almost forgot to acknowledge SG and Bus with pacey training that augurs very well for forthcoming races.

Bit of a different weekend's running for me. Saturday was my first try at Cani-X running with my older daughter's GSD, the same dog my younger daughter has had such success with. Not anywhere as easy as it looks and the dog was definitely a hindrance to me not a help, especially in the last 1.5k when I had him alongside at best and often needing encouragement. Was at a fairly quiet parkun, Upton Court, and we ended 3rd in 20'28, but like to think I could have gone a min or so quicker without the dog (as an aside the course was bizarrely rated a 4.6 by Run Britain even though it was flat and not very muddy).

Yesterday decided I had better be a bit more sociable with my running and, as the club were marketing their new Sunday Marathon training season runs (groups going off at 7,8,9,10 and 11 min miles), thought I'd give it a go. Only 2 others there for the 7mm "group"; 1 a 35 min 10k man and the other often top 40 in TVXC this season. They said it would be an "easy relaxed 10 miler"; Over very undulating terrain in Windsor Great Park, 10 in 70 mins did not feel at all that to me (av heart rate 161, so up there with Jools' parkrun!). Think I need to get a lot more serious about endurance training if I hope to do myself any justice in Wokingham HM.   
  • Thanks Pete - you should come training with me, I do most of my long runs and loads of easy runs slower than 7mm :)

I'm a v50 from June and will probably work my training beyond Manchester in April towards some late autumn racing, so I wouldn't be qualifying in your category. In fact I have no idea where the qualifying races are for either 10k and half marathon, but I think Manchester might be a qualifier for the Yorkshire marathon ? I don't think I'd like to do two marathons this year though.
  • Jooligan -When I'm well rested I'm much more able to support runs at the top of my range so that could explain Barnstaple being higher ? My heart rate can be suppressed when fatigued too. However I just thought it sounded like a hard fought effort from your report ! But maybe that was just in the context of your week's training ?
    Certainly was a hard effort. I know that rest allows my max HR to go up but recalled you saying something about HR vs pace: x bpm equated to y secs/mile?
    PeteM said:
    Good to see you back in top form Jools; nice report from Bideford too (what makes you go all the way there by the way?). I have a friend down that way I visit now and then and have done Barnstaple and Tamar when down with him. He keeps telling me to try Bideford ("fast") and Woolacombe Dunes ("horribly slow but an experience!"). Any views on those two? 
    I've started seeing a lady down that way hence the regular appearances at N Devon parkruns recently. Not tried Woolacombe yet but it is incredibly slow - young lad from our club who knocks out low 17s on a tarmac courses each week & low 18:xx even in a bog failed to break 20 when he won it in the summer. I've only done the winter course at Bideford (3.5 laps) which has 3x180 dead turns round a marshal - maybe the summer course is quicker though some of it is on grass. Barnstaple has that narrow trail on the bottom loop which can force you onto the slippery mud when overtaking on the 2nd & 3rd laps but I'd still rate it as slightly faster.
    Is that Tamar Lakes or Trails? - only done the latter myself.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Tamar Lakes Jools; its pretty close to the Devon/Cornwall border but not far from Bideford and Barnstaple. Lovely course from what I recall a few years ago, but pretty hard to find as in the middle of nowhere! 

That confirms what I have heard of Woolacombe then; at least RB can give it a course rating higher than 6 nowadays ;)
  • Jooligan - Yeah, so I find a linear increase in pace for heart rate right up to threshold effort, and it's about 3 seconds per mile per beat for me on the flat in mild conditions.  But I wouldn't extrapolate beyond 10 mile pace for that though. Overtraining (rather than plain fatigue)  can produce suppressed heart rates below threshold too. This link is really useful in discussing the science behind this: https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/follow-your-heart-using-hr-to-gauge-fatigue/
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    10 posts without me getting involved.
    Incredible scenes!!

Good work chaps..and keep the good fight going as pretty much smothered with ting until Friday 

Muchos love 👄👄👅

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Blimey muddy that is a sharp 1/2, like i said before you always seem to be resting or recovering too.

Good to see you Stevie wh - are you still with yr coach?

Simon - that's  a quality level in that league then. How does that compare with hants league?

Pete - you must be getting more robust if you can do 10m at that pace. I missed most of a year a few years bsck and its taken me a while to get back agsin. I had a shocker at fleet in 2019, so will hopefully go better this yr.
  • Good to see some solid racing and training going on!

Nicely done at the XC SC, shame on just missing top-50, and SW, hope the mojo is returning.

Tidy result there TR taking 90s off last year!

What a result there Muddy! Nice shiny PB for you, and I'm sure that one won't last long.

Good work on the parkrunning, PeteM and Jools. Not sure you've mentioned having done Tamar Trails before - my Dad often RDs that one. Great woodland course, until the final uphill.

I started the year well and thought I'd managed to avoid the Christmas lurgy, until I woke up last Monday feeling pretty ragged. I was then away for a conference, which I was presenting at, so decided to skip all running and hopefully start to feel more human for my talk. Back to it on Friday and have done ~50km in 4 days, so the legs are feeling a little tired now.
    5km race on Saturday, original plan was to try and get sub-18 after the 18:04 in November. Not sure how it'll turn out now, given the disruption to training since beginning of December.
  • Bad luck on the lurgy MH but maybe the rest'll have left you fresh enough to have a crack at the 17:xx Only done Tamar Trails the once - exactly 2 years ago apparently! I was 2nd then too but in 20:11. Great course but a brutal finish.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Blimey - busy on here today and I'm struggling to catch up!

Muddy - wow! That's a seriously quick half regardless of vet status!

Jools - massive week and ended in style! I don't know how you do it!

SW and SC - nice XCing, and glad you've caught the bug SW (unlike Matt, who wishes he hadn't.....)

Pete - there must be an art to getting the dog to pull you rather than pull you back! The pace for the 10 was stoopidly sharp! Well done for surviving it!

Looking forward to stom Brendan tomorrow. SHould be a fun run home in the dark, through the wood with 50mph winds and pouring rain :-(

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Shame about the lurgy MH

Bus - 12m tonight, luckily i got 6m done before the rain joined in with the wind (Brendan), it got a bit grim from then on. I think it gets a new name tomorrow if it registers enough power. Im hoping to avoid another soaking tomorrow by running early. Roll on running in the sun and daylight again.
  • The Bus said:
    Looking forward to stom Brendan tomorrow. SHould be a fun run home in the dark, through the wood with 50mph winds and pouring rain :-(

Did you get home? No sign of a run on Strava.
  • MH - Hope you feel better soon

TR - The Surrey league has always been strong, but now we're about par with the Met League which has always been the strongest in the south. Its all about getting ex uni grad runners who are coming to London. Hercules Wimbledon have been good at this recently and have challenged Kent. Us at HHH have had a few Aussies join us recently too that has helped. Hants is pretty good, but not up to the Surrey/Met League level.

Discussing this with SW - The Birmingham league 1 looks even stronger than ours (I placed myself about 55-60th in his race looking at PO10), but they have uni teams in the mix, that we don't - so take them out and it would be weaker. Manchester league is strong too, but I don't think there's any others near the level of these 4.

• TR - Yes still with my coach, taken me this far so no need to jump ship just yet! 

Agreed Simon, the unis definitely push the standard up. Birchfield and Tipton also have huge amount of runners turn up. We are ecstatic with 11th place overall as we were only promoted last year. Definitely think I can push towards the top 100 in the next race, with 4 more weeks training and being a bit more aggressive from the start. Although I think the course will be a lot hillier!
  • TR - I can see where this perception comes from. I do my session of the week at the weekend these days, then spend the weekdays recovering. So my week is always Monday rest, then recovery and easy running picking up pace a bit towards the end of the week. This means I don't have any interesting interval sets or tempo runs to relay to the thread. I don't run loads of miles either so my posts to the thread would be pretty dull just saying I ran 10k easy ... again. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Simon - i didnt realise there were so many strong leagues. Interesting re the Aussies they cant be used to muddy xc. I used to do Hants league as a kid, wouldnt fancy it now.

StevieWh - agreed, did you have a break from him and then pick up again next campaign.

Muddy - i just post up all my easy stuff, as i dont have much else at times. As i said before you are mastering the art of stimulate dont annihilate.
  • Matthew HeadMatthew Head ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Muddy, nothing wrong with telling us of an easy 10k!

Nice 10miler Pete, how did you feel as you went along? That'll certainly help to boost your fitness!

Must be feeling better now - had a 10 x 2min (2min) session set, with 5:30-5:40 pace prescribed. Saw it this morning and thought that's definitely not going to happen, especially with this weather - so just decided to tackle it by holding strong efforts, rather than trying to clock and chase pace. Took a couple to settle in, ~5:50/mi pace, and then the rest were ~5:35/mi to ~5:40/mi, averaging 5:39/mi for the lot. Cruised the recoveries at ~7:30/mi pace.
    Really pleased with that, as I'm not sure I would have known I was capable of it had I been chasing the pace. Good to get 20mins of volume at sub-5km pace, which should suggest good things - I guess it depends how long my legs will be ruined for!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    The Bus said:

Did you get home? No sign of a run on Strava.
    Er, that was for tomorrow, as it was at time of posting, or today as it is now :-:smile:  I did thanks. Pretty wet and windy and a couple of occasions of being blown sideways, but wasn't brained by any falling branches or washed away! I did get a  blister on each heel from my new shoes, which has never happened with Inov-8s before :-:neutral:   I thought Brendan wa tonight's storm, but probably got it wrong and it was yesterday's TR...

Nice reps Matt.

O, and Muddy - don't let doing really dull runs put you off posting them. I never do :-:smiley:
  • Cracking efforts MH. looking good for the 5K this w/e . . . so long as you've not totally trashed the legs :D
    Fair play Bus. Tree came down across the main road outside school at around 4:40pm yesterday but somehow it didn't squash any cars! Fortunately I'd left about 20 minutes previous so avoided the traffic chaos. 
    I got my 13K route done in the dry 1st thing. Did 2x 3x1K off 500m with 1K between sets. Reps 1 & 2 were with a tailwind then 3-5 were straight into the storm before picking it up again for the final one with a tailwind. Pace was really pretty disappointing given I'd done nowt yesterday - all slower than Saturday's parkrun average. Did another 5M at lunch on the TM - lightly progressive pyramid 8 down to 7:30 & back down to 8. Weather looks significantly better tomorrow so it'll be a repeat of today's distances but much slower paces.