Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Muddy - agree on the training vs racing difference and the effect of a taper on glycogen stores. Having said that, I'm much like Joe and can go out for a hard 20 miler first thing with no breakfast and not feel like I run out of fuel. 

SG - I feel that not eating is less risky than eating something and having doubts about what/when/how much. Each to their own, as you say.

Edit - Avoiding breakfast doesn't help me avoid "bush" time unfortunately.
  • I'd be a mess if I didn't eat - the 'blobs' (that SG got a few days ago) would be after me within 30 mins I reckon through Glycogen debt. Coach's half was at Welwyn in June 78. Not sure if this was the one when he had 4 pints and some wine the night before also (to help him sleep!!).

Ridiculous - although that was very much 'only do this if you're from a hard drinking welsh mining family' sort of thing :) I did this once before the Portland 10 one year and ended up with St. Johns after.

• Hope everyone is well and running superbly. Going to have a read back later as lots to catch up on but just popping in to commit to giving up sugary treats up to Wokingham Half. I read somewhere you need to write this sort of goal down to really make it work so Thanks!  :D
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Blimey - lots happening on here, so, er , great sessions/races everyone (delete as appropriate until I've also had time to read back :smile: )

Big drinking sessions beforehand seems to be a pattern for Welsh World Half record breakers Simon! 
    (I'm half Welsh, and it has never worked for me - I keep trying though :smiley:)

Nice frozen run this morning to keep the mud solid (apart from one section just before I got back home which saw me and my shoes covered in mud again - sod's law!)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone who ever says they'll "read back", ever do so? :D:D 
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    SG, I inadvertently read back the very first few pages of this thread from about 10 years ago the other day when my browser opened at the 1st page not last. It was nearly all you and a guy who I  presume is the eponymous Moraghan after which you named the thread, discussing zones and fretting over the minutiae of training paces ;) . Plus ca change!....
  • I do actually read back but rarely comment on what I read as I just forget most of it when I come to write something and rather than risk omitting someone's achievement, I just omit all of it!

I also read the first few pages once when I think Bus was called Bus Boy?
  • Actually I lied, just gave up reading back. SG had a hire car is about all I got out of it.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reg Wand said:
    Actually I lied, just gave up reading back. SG had a hire car is about all I got out of it.
    Insignia.
    That was a beast to manoeuvre...certainly sticking to mid size cars in future!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    PeteM said:
    SG, I inadvertently read back the very first few pages of this thread from about 10 years ago the other day when my browser opened at the 1st page not last. It was nearly all you and a guy who I  presume is the eponymous Moraghan after which you named the thread, discussing zones and fretting over the minutiae of training paces ;) . Plus ca change!....

Top guy. A massive loss to the thread and forum in general.
    There's nothing quite like having that comfort of someone who knows their stuff mapping your stuff out, and giving praise where deserved, but by no means soft soaping.

There were about 5-6 Moraghan training threads. I think I was his easiest to train, mixing in super keen mentality, totally open week, and ability and desire to put in 60+ mile weeks, 99% to the letter.

And while you jest, remember that I did my first race in 2001, so by 2010, I'd certainly drilled down my times (quoted on page 1) through "pissing about" training"

But it took the structure to get those taken down even more.
  • I usually do my morning run pre-breakfast, most parkruns included.
    I had an underwhelming weekend with a 20:36 (ice affected parkrun) up in the S Wales valleys then a 41:08 at Speedway 10K in perfect conditions for 164th of 183 finishers. 81% of the top 100 got a PB including an MV40 who cruised to 2nd place at Merthyr in 18:54 halfway through his 22M@6:37 LR who managed a 32:45 (only got him 3rd in Cat & 47th overall)!! Least I achieved my C target: no toilet debacle & considerably quicker than Telford. Both runs this w/e my HR failed to average more than 90% of Max so it's time for some lower intensity this week. 13.1M@9:06 yesterday then 10K@8:50 first thing & 4M@7:54 at lunch.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Reg Wand said:
    I do actually read back but rarely comment on what I read as I just forget most of it when I come to write something and rather than risk omitting someone's achievement, I just omit all of it!

One of the thread nicknames that are vaguely ridiculous in real life.

Like mine...actually picked before Steven Gerrard became so well known as Stevie G!
    Making now for the ludicrous irony of having the nickname of my most hated football team's most famous player as my username :D 
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:

Like mine...actually picked before Steven Gerrard became so well known as Stevie G!
    Making now for the ludicrous irony of having the nickname of my most hated football team's most famous player as my username :D 
    How much does it hurt that the Dippers will (probably) break their 30 year duck?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Jooligan said:
    I usually do my morning run pre-breakfast, most parkruns included.
    I had an underwhelming weekend with a 20:36 (ice affected parkrun) up in the S Wales valleys then a 41:08 at Speedway 10K in perfect conditions for 164th of 183 finishers. 81% of the top 100 got a PB including an MV40 who cruised to 2nd place at Merthyr in 18:54 halfway through his 22M@6:37 LR who managed a 32:45 (only got him 3rd in Cat & 47th overall)!! Least I achieved my C target: no toilet debacle & considerably quicker than Telford. Both runs this w/e my HR failed to average more than 90% of Max so it's time for some lower intensity this week. 13.1M@9:06 yesterday then 10K@8:50 first thing & 4M@7:54 at lunch.

81%?
    That's utter madness.

Had to check what day we're on...but with that double, of course you'd need to push back a day.

Fair play racing a 10k then doing a longun..i'd probbo have just trundled recovery runs out then maybe rested Tue!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ynnec said:
    Stevie G said:

How much does it hurt that the Dippers will (probably) break their 30 year duck?
    Can't worry too much about stuff you can't control!
    Otherwise that's a super fast way to a stressy life!
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Stevie G said:
    Ynnec said:
    Stevie G said:

Good points, well made!
    I lived in South Manchester from '98 to '09 so know a few Reds and what the rivalry with L'pool means. Was an ABU when I got there but became partially assimilated over time enuff to enjoy reading the odd Red Issue at work nown and again.
  • To be fair SG neither parkrun nor the 10K were really proper race efforts though they were meant to be. The icy conditions definitey affected my effort at parkrun - RB have given it 5.2 vs a 1.5 when I was there 6 weeks ago. The HR governor stopped me destroying my legs on the 10K so a LR shuffle was reasonably OK - though I would've happily stopped at 10M  :D However rather than walk back to the car in T-shirt & shorts in sub-zero temps for an hr I preferred to jog it in - even picking the pace up relative to gradient.
    Here are the results for Speedway 10K - quite phenomenally quick average!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ynnec said:
    Stevie G said:
    Ynnec said:
    Stevie G said:

Good points, well made!
    I lived in South Manchester from '98 to '09 so know a few Reds and what the rivalry with L'pool means. Was an ABU when I got there but became partially assimilated over time enuff to enjoy reading the odd Red Issue at work nown and again.
    The media have been clamouring for a Liverpool come back for ages. But then they are the same with United, as United dominate coverage however poor they are ( and again..poor in a 5-6th in the country way) rather than poor in any reasoned way..like most other clubs lower down the leagues.

I never fear too much for United.
    Not when i also support Wycombe who almost fell out of the football league about 6 or so years ago which could have led to going bankrupt.
    Now that's something to worry about!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Jooligan said:
    To be fair SG neither parkrun nor the 10K were really proper race efforts though they were meant to be. The icy conditions definitey affected my effort at parkrun - RB have given it 5.2 vs a 1.5 when I was there 6 weeks ago. The HR governor stopped me destroying my legs on the 10K so a LR shuffle was reasonably OK - though I would've happily stopped at 10M  :D However rather than walk back to the car in T-shirt & shorts in sub-zero temps for an hr I preferred to jog it in - even picking the pace up relative to gradient.

Presumably some sort of soulless but super quick race? Along the lines of the Podium 5k? Maybe some sort of race track and a ridiculous quality field for a cheap price?
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:
    Does anyone who ever says they'll "read back", ever do so? :D:D 
    Not when another 15 posts come in just as you are trying to :smiley:
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Reg Wand said:
    I do actually read back but rarely comment on what I read as I just forget most of it when I come to write something and rather than risk omitting someone's achievement, I just omit all of it!

Almost  - THE Bus Boy :-:wink: Changed for obvious reasons!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Open road 2 lapper conceived as an elite race for S Wales to rival Telford. This was it's 4th edition.
    £10 pre-entry or

You have to submit Po10 evidence to be accepted at all. Bit like VLM GFA qualifiers except there are no WAVA allowances. 3 weeks before the race you move from waiting list to accepted/refused.
    So far no-one has been refused since entry limit hasn't quite been reached but it won't be long. Vast majority of the entry fees go towards generous cash prizes (£100 for 1st & prizes down to 6th + AG prizes - number dependent on those entered) & a £200 bonus (from a sponsor) for breaking the CR which the winner has picked up both years of the January edition. There is also a mid-June edition
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I thought my double hilly 6M today was tough, but Jools would probably go out and do a long run later :smiley:

Presumably that 10k has an update course measurement? (I mean, it's not up north after all :wink: )
  • Indeed Bus. Everyone I was with measured it slightly long on their Garmin too! 6.24-6.26 miles
  • Stevie G said:
    Jooligan said:

Presumably some sort of soulless but super quick race? Along the lines of the Podium 5k?
    I thought it far from soulless, would describe it as good concept club race that attracts a lot of us from the Midlands - fast course and the fastest applicants get to run it for a cheap price. Nice little awards thing afterwards with drinks and a cake sale and a nearby track for a convivial cooldown.
  • Forgot you'd done it Muddy. Last summer wasn't it?
    Excellent home-made cakes, big cups of tea & loads of free race pics to pore over. Even get views of the Severn estuary & old bridge too. Highly recommended.
  • Yeah last summer and with a bit of luck this summer too. Hopefully it’s the weekend when I turn 50 :)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Your race selection (all in stuff at least) is very reminiscent of my moz peak days Muddy. All the fast flat races. Makes sense really! Ideally with a superb field.

Bootleg races for front place competing shiggles definitely have their place though. But for those time pursuits you are helped by loads of qual around you.

I should probably race at some stage.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Talking of races, I just remembered to enter the Staines 10k. Too late - it's full already!  You used to be able to enter on the day....

Marlow 5 the week before maybe, but I don't like 5M or 10M races anymore - too easy to work out the pace from the time :smiley:
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The Bus said:g
    Talking of races, I just remembered to enter the Staines 10k. Too late - it's full already!  You used to be able to enter on the day....

Marlow 5 the week before maybe, but I don't like 5M or 10M races anymore - too easy to work out the pace from the time :smiley:
    What the absolute frig?!
    They said it was a Feb1st release date of entries!!