Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    MH - can't win can I. Like the time I mentioned the 0m line on the track, and struggled to work out the 300m :D 

Sounds like you're ticking back into it. No chance of your club being at the 12 stage? You'd obvs be in our region, despite being a ridiculous distance away from MK!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Quality 10k tempo Bus, bet that's a pleasant surprise and two good Dorney sessions from SG between this and my previous post. 

My favourite post was Jules' though, forgetting entries, sleeping in the car and best of all an actual email account for running  :D

an 8 and 6 miler so far for me this week, nothing special about them but my pace is trending faster. Weight has come down after nearly 3 weeks of cutting down on sugar, probably lost 2kgs, if I can make the 4kgs by Wokey I'll be happy. Has to be worth a fair bit of time.

Edit: Is it weird I am disappointed SC has got a Garmin? Famous last words on Strava, how many times did SG mock the chasing of records on random stretches of pavement before he ended up spending about 3 weeks just hoovering up CRs on purpose!
  • It does seem like some sort of surrender :smiley:

Cheers btw, and Matt. An 8 and a 6 is like a a 60M week for anyone else Reg!
    Talking of quality sessions, those look pretty good post lurgy Matt, and those progressive miles are sharp SG.

A rare (and pointless) day off work today, so went for an easy bimble as much to make the miles up as anything. That tempo has taken its toll - my legs were shagged! That's the worst thing about getting older - recovery from anything remotely like quality takes an age!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry Reg, I'm firmly in the bored of segz camp now, moving onto getting infuriated by gimp cyclists stealing them,
    Some guy called something like Mr Dhak repeatedly trundles slow cycles out across town hoovering people's runs up.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps it's one thing Simon having a device with capability to load to strava, but another thing altogether expecting him to have the botherment to work out how to get the info there!
  • I have a segment I've flagged twice now because people Strava their train rides. The give away is when your 0.1 mile segment gets beaten by 25 seconds!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you are in good shape Matt, eastleigh is a fast race, so you should get dragged along.

Bus - im ok with lots of slow stuff.

I still use the Casio sun dial.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

How do you know your distance and pace then TR?

You'll probably find that your 18milers are only 13.7 ;)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reg Wand said:
    I have a segment I've flagged twice now because people Strava their train rides. The give away is when your 0.1 mile segment gets beaten by 25 seconds!
    Reg Wand said:
    I have a segment I've flagged twice now because people Strava their train rides. The give away is when your 0.1 mile segment gets beaten by 25 seconds!

I wonder how many segz you could storm, taking a London to Manchester train.

Must be loads that would trigger due to loads of routes next to train lines, probably in a way a motorway drive wouldn't.

I'm still chuckling at the idea of Simon utterly laundering his breeks to take some utter gubbins segment.

My worst seg moments have come in 2 forms.

1 - when you obliterate yourself, and would easily have taken it.. IF you hadn't started/stopped the seg just short. DOH.

2 - when you target some super weak looking one, that calls for a mere 10min miling or something for 0.3mile. Then attempt it, and realise it's not that soft, it's up a raging Everest of a mountain.

I literally had to sit down and get my HR down to human levels at one out our way.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    My routes (which are mostly commutes - plus weekend routes) have all been measured on map my run or google, i have lots of extra loops and within run out and backs to add on extra distances. I know where the mile markers are for mp runs. I reckon i over estimate rather than under, but agreed i might be wrong slthough im not claiming any records so dont need times ratified. I dont bother timing some runs.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I should get something like a forerunner 25 or 30 sometime as they are cheap, but never get round to it. I always remember reading a post somewhere from someone saying they hadnt been able to train lately as their garmin was in for repair!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    TR said:
    I should get something like a forerunner 25 or 30 sometime as they are cheap, but never get round to it. I always remember reading a post somewhere from someone saying they hadnt been able to train lately as their garmin was in for repair!

Na nah nah son, re-pair, not repair :D

Logs the runs as normal, but instead of auto loading to the phone then strava….I have to re-sync (re-pair) the two devices :)

I used to think I was doing a 4miler. Turned out It was 3.5m. Costly over a year no doubt.

And the ridiculous time I thought a route was 8..when it was 6!

But those were mad days, where i'd come home from work, smash a massive beans and veg dinner, give it 40mins and go off at classic amateur "Medium hard" pace - and wonder why it was starting to see me end up in the bushes more often than not!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    No not on here, someone put on the sub3 thread years ago they hadnt been able to train as it was broken.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    TR said:
    No not on here, someone put on the sub3 thread years ago they hadnt been able to train as it was broken.

Ah was gonna say :D

Now that's mad. You'd just stick to routes you knew wouldn't you, and deal with the slight rounding. Or go on rough time on any old watch.

• Cheers Reg - if I could give up sugar I'd lose the 5-10 kg of excess baggage I carry & could stop training so bloody hard - might even get quicker too :p
    Think I'm starting to suffer from that too Bus - just wish I could race a 10K at that pace :s
    Just 40 minutes easy Runch today in glorious sunshine again + 2x6M bike commute.
    I've got XC in Chepstow tomorrow afternoon & I'm meant to be doing the Dursley Dozen on Sunday but it's almost certainly going to be cancelled. They're waiting til midday tomorrow to decide in case Ciara changes course/speed but it's very doubtful. Gutted as this is probably my favourite non-fell race of the year. It would be my 10th consecutive run there. It was last cancelled in 2010 due to snow - not much chance of that this year!
  • A rare road run today, and even rarer, on a Saturday! Bit messy really as, also rarely, I went out to a party last night, had 9 pints, loads of food and got in way after midnight! The legs were also pretty tired to start with.. So, a target of around 7:30 came out at 7:46 for the 15.3M. More concerning than the hangover, was that my left foot was really sore in the last mile, and my adductor/Iliopsoas thing, or whatever muscle it is, is quite painful afterwards. This hasn't flared up since last time I tried to get some pace back, but hoping it will fade quickly.

Good luck to anyone who ends up racing, or even training tomorrow!

• I also moved my log run to today, this wasn't ideal as I'd done a bike commute, evening swim and lunch run yesterday so the prospect of a long run wasn't that appealing. Plan was to go late afternoon after lunch but then I had a barney with the wife so took advantage of the situation to get out of the house! Was mainly off-road and hilly in recovery zone so 15.5 miles at a pedestrian pace.
  • To be clear I didn’t run 15 miles with a log although I did have GI issues.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

Looks like the sensible people got their longuns in today then.

I did the mile reps and a 6 at lunch yesterday, meeting a pal, rather than the 4, so I had no desire to go long today.

I'll see how it looks tomorrow, and give myself license to go a bit shorter, as i'm already up to 55.5miles this week anyway, and have recorded 3x15 the las 3 weeks as longuns.

I may do something like 10-12 with the last 2-4 ramped up a bit.

We'll see. If it's gale force I might do well to put in a few miles at 9s :)

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    I did 20 today too. But then i always run long on a saturday.
  • A lifetime of planning for this storm then TR :wink:  Not sure why I keep going back to Sundays as LSR day as Saturdays is better in so many ways to be fair!

Reg - it's funny how a bit of a spat can help fuel a log run!

Bloody hip has seized up totally tonight - can barely walk on it. Hoping it isn't anything serious, given I seemed to be getting somewhere recently and its tow weeks to my first proper race in an age!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, this is Tuesday's monster tempo kicking in on top of the 15.3 (can you keep those to round numbers please ;) )

It'll be ok though. Race day magic ahoy.

• Wednesday dear boy. And yes to the latter - if you put my house on wheels :wink:  A couple of days rest will help with the old RDM methinks!

Trip to Oxford shortly - against my better judgement with Ciara building around us and due to peak just as we head back down the M40!!!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Was expecting some sort of hurricane the way people were chatting.
    Just pretty windy and apart from one whoosh of wind that almost completely stopped me, i can't say it was any worse than the wind at dorney two weeks ago.

Told myself 10-12 today. Maybe ramping up a bit of pace late on.

Instead did 13. 7.05which looking at the splits was sub 7 the last 7 or so.

Did try a faster mile but aborted about 0.25m in as while it wasn't too bad for a normal run it would definitely be pointless trying to produce any speed.

So it felt no real reason to limit to 12 so 13 felt a minimum length "long" run with the wind and slightly hoarse throat.
    Making it a 68.5mile week
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Pretty wild here, glad i didnt have to drive to Worthing let alone race.

P and D said 6+5, i did 12. Legs felt better than during ydays 20. Took a bit of a weather beating. Im sure it wont come in handy on vlm day.
  • Good week early and good job your were out early.

12 the day after a 20 is pretty hardcore TR :smile:

We had to divert past three fallen trees in High Wycombe on the way and two in oxford on the way back!  Roads strewn with debris and lots of flooding, but we managed to miss the worst of it while travelling.
  • Some pretty gnarly conditions out there today! SG, I can confirm that there's gales out down here at the pointy end :D we're lucky that almost all of the rain has passed north of us

Did a 4 x 6min progression run yesterday, going 7:00/6:40/6:20/6:00 per mile - starting to feel pretty good at the sharper end. It was the same format as a progression I'd done just after Christmas, albeit that one had a wider spread of paces, but the faster paces yesterday were at a lower HR - progress!
    Weather didn't stop me getting out for the long run today. Not much slower than last week for the same effort, so that's something! 

• Cosmeston Lakes parkrun then Gwent League XC at Chepstow yesterday but today's race was cancelled so did 13.5M of hilly forest trails through Ciara. Neither race was quite where I'd've liked them to be but XC results are up already & it appears I've inched a bit further forward since the pre-xmas races. 74 miles for a 6-day week so I guess it's no surprise I'm tired. Got to remember I haven't been banging out 70M weeks like clockwork since last Spring & a nasty virus just 10 days ago saw me take a couple of days off too.
    The best bit about the XC was I was 5th scorer for the B team because I finally got the A team to come out. As a result of which we've moved into a promotion position. Even a half-decent showing in the final fixture should ensure we go up for the 2nd time since I took over the captaincy B)
  • Surrey league report later.

Garmin news - The missus didn't pick it up at the xc anyway, so not got it yet...and it will DEFINITELY only be for measuring reps. I give you my word :)

• Nice work Captain Jools. If you can't inspire participation then nobody can!

Well done to all the other storm chasers. I did nothing yesterday and as much as SG says there wan't much to write home about I've seen plenty of trees that didn't quite stand up to Ciara as well. 

SC - Before too long you'll be jogging on the spot on your doorstep waiting for a GPS signal or delaying your run 30 minutes to allow it to charge up otherwise there's no point in running. It's a slippery slope.

Next year I am planning on doing an Ironman and I'd like to do the London Marathon in the build up. Trouble is I don't have a current GFA time, last one was 2017 Abingdon, can't believe it was nearly three years ago. It looks like you now have until August to get a qualifying time?

For 40-44 2020 it was 3:02:20 so I suspect anything sub 3 would be enough to get a time. Shame as before it was guaranteed with a slower time. I'm thinking of doing Milton Keynes again but I'd like to do the bare minimum so as not to cause too much damage/recovery time. The alternative is the sub 1:15 but not sure that's ever going to happen!

Just got my annual Ride London rejection letter through, I'd like to see them put in some sort of preferential treatment for half decent riders for that event as it would be nice to do it one year.