Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Reg - ha ha we'll see...do the MK marathon and i'll give you a shout..

Well done on the xc Jools - and anyone else who got out there yesterday, I managed 12 at about 8.15am and it wasn't too bad.

So that ;last Surrely Leage xc on Saturday. Just 2 ;laps of the 3 laps we did during the South of Thames before Christmas. And no worries about being chicked this time by any Tonbridge ladies.

Started off relatively quickly, the course seemd quite dry - it was for the first half of the lap, before the mud kicked in along a large part of the top, before it eased back again into the main field. Then that's where I just haven't got the strength this time of year and my 'peers' started going past me. Lost a few more places to folk I'd beaten at the last drier fixture during the 2nd lap, but got round to come 58th, 54th after a couple of non scorers taken out. It wasn't our strongest team as I was 9th scorer

Results below if anyone interested - gives a nice breakdown of age groups and the teams placings.

https://surreyleague.org/slm/race/243/#indiv

• Quiet...Didn't fancy running around what will be a bog tonight over at Luton - I have already smugly done my session on the canal. The classic 35 secs hard, 25 jog - did about 33 sets in the end.

Quite handy as it takes me through Camden market (bit of a pain) up to the Lisson grove moorings and back down to our place just by St Pancras.

• I can't imagine bounding through that section by Camden Market at the pace you run without ending up either in the canal or spread eagled over some hippy's narrowboat Simon :smiley:

Good work in the XC Captain Jools :smile:

I've not run since Saturday. Sunday was planned rest, but yesterday I had quite severe back issues - going from sitting to walking was very slow and painful and it would occasionally seize up completely! Did a fair bit of stretching and back specific work last night and it's a lot better today, but might give it (and the Iliopsoas thing!) until tomorrow to be sure.

• Oh doesn't sound nice Bus - hope it eases soon. Camden market isn't too bad that time of day. Its only the real market bit where you have to round the food stalls that you have to jog round.

It's the cyclists that are the pain, but gladly these days there seems to be more runners than cyclists. I think they probably realise it's getting a bit crowded now.

• Sorry to hear of the back issues Bus, I hope it calms down for you soon.

Tidy work at the XC SC, and your reps! As Bus says, kudos for getting them done on the canal path, do you come across many runners during the sessions?

Well done on the XC too, Jools, shame about the race being cancelled. Have you got any specific target races coming up? Or just training races?

Reg, I reckon you have a good chance to go 1:15 at some point with your good times in the past, but unlikely before August. How long would you have to build for MK?

2 lots of 6 x 90s off 1min, 5min between sets, today - still pretty gusty down here, and felt like I was running into the wind on each one, despite running a loop. Pleased with it coming out at ~5:40/mi pace, should hopefully be a good indicator of where my 5km fitness is.
    Looks like there's another storm headed our way for this weekend! Getting pretty fed up of winter now. 
  • MH building towards Brighton marathon in April. I’ll also be entering the revived Hereford 5K series. Don’t seem to be making much progress at the moment so doubt either will produce anything memorable.
    Got Wrexham HM this Sunday - course is a little damp post Ciara 
    Fortunately they had a back up plan: alternative route to avoid the recently canalised roads. Fully certified too. Just got to hope Dennis isn’t too much of a menace.
  • Good session MH - I'm with you with winter, that's why I ditched training at Luton last night. And the fecking wind, don't get me started! There's a few runners on the canal, but it's good that their rise is at the expense of the cyclists. The bit by London zoo is quieter than the other bits!

Tad damp there Jools!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Nice pace on the intervals MH, the wind is strange, I normally have a tailwind home but it just seems to be swirling about and making cycling hard work in any direction. I won't train specifically for MK, it's just to get a GFA time, I did 2:59 there in 2015 off about 25mpw so I should be able to repeat that. Ideally I'll get about 6 weeks at 30-40 mpw and a couple of 20 milers.

Hope the ailments get better soon Bus. Are you blaming that 10k tempo for this?

Looks like a fun course that Jools. 

Not run since Saturday, better get out tonight.
  • Cheers chaps. Seems a lot better after 3 full days off and a load of back specific exercises. The run in this morning was OK, albeit had to keep the pace slow.   Not sure I can blame the tempo Reg, but probably a combination of that being in the middle of 50 miles in five consecutive days culminating in 15 miles of tarmac, which I'm not used to.

The weather is looking shite for the whole weeknd now. Get it out of the way before Wokingham!!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Mix of being a bit coldy at the start of the week, fused with starting the new job has meant a bit of a maintenance week to be honest. Not helped by changing car and a freezing cold midweek Wycombe game, all complicating it.

3 days of 6&4, and today a single 8.5

Will try and do a sesh tomorrow.
    Used to do something like a 3x2mile HMP, but will probably instead do something like 6x4mins "Hard" and see how that comes out, off 90secs - 2mins. 
    Probably round Dorney Lake again, so that will be wev depend.

Looking forward to a SAT OFF massive lay in i can tellings you.
  • The weather is real face palm territory..windy from Saturday to Monday. Fecking joke. I would say it would be nice to live near Lee Valley to do some indoor stuff, but that would be a lie as it's the arsehole of England.

Did the same as Tuesday this morning - about 35 x 35 secs. I think the reps are about 37/38 for each 200.

• Glad it's easing off Bus. Bramley 20/10 cancelled this weekend I see, not sure why it's just a bit of wind  :)

Biked the commute home last night quite hard and ran 4.5 miles straight afterwards. My watch was flat so I grabbed my wife's Garmin and set about taking a few QOMs on Strava  :D

Felt quite fresh so pushed the pace a little and averaged 6:18. It was one of those runs where I felt like I was at full speed but without it feeling hard. Not sure if it was my wife's wrist based HR but the average came out at 156 which is my top end of easy at 79% of MHR. Indicates I am reasonably fit.

Pretty pleased with that off 20 mpw.
  • Wokey is now full, new organisation have lead a bit of a renaissance as numbers were dropping a few years back.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Flooded course rather than any wind issue. Though that probs won't help!
  • Pretty sure they wouldn't have cancelled if Dennis wasn't on his way.
  • Pretty severe flooding in many areas this morning. The ground is so saturated currently, and all drainage systems on roads are full to bursting, so Dennis will indeed be a Menace! 

Stoopid day at work today  meant I've just done my lunchtime run! Also had to trim the miles, and a 4 mile tempo ended up with a couple of semi fast miles (including a sub 6 - yay!) on dodgy dark pavements!
  • Oh, and I tried out my new shoes - Asics Gel DS10. They have been in a box in a cupboard for 6 years!!! (I bought two pairs cheap)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Not ideal Bus.

I think back to when I used to do tempos in the dark. Sheash!

So much better to get stuff done in the morning - both for safety, and for knowing it's banked.

When I used to rely on lunch and evening, that really didn't give much breathing space.

• Trouble is, there ain't enough morning sometimes :D  Yesterday woild have meanta 5am start to get a sesh in. Aylesbury is better for a tempo anyway, as it is pretty flat.

• SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

SG Has seen - get on this. Saturday 4/7/20. Midday, fast course from north MK into Newport Pagnell - same day as a Euro WC 1/4 final, plus NP carnival. Nice profile...Good beer potential after

https://www.resultsbase.net/event/5073

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I did forget to look up where NP actually is :) Can't be too far if you're talking it up SC.

First sesh this week, feeling back to normal after a light cold.

6x4mins off 2mins round Dorney Lake.
    Very mild wind today, ideal.

Quite bizarrely, it came out exactly 5.43 pace for all 6 reps. There's tapping into a pace, and then there's that!
  • Basically just the other side of the M1 from MK. Should be good, got a few from LBAC and MMK already entered.

Metronomic son...metronomic. Bet my session at Wrest Pk won't be tomorrow with that wind.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hope theres a few long runs going on despite the weather.

I did 24 yday and 8 today.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Took the same approach to last week. Hoping to get at least ten in and squeeze up if poss.

In truth a bit of rain and wind but nothing to not justify a 13. So 13 at 7.03 it panned out.
    Felt enough to be honest.
    Have done 5x15 and 2or 3x13 over 8 weeks now.
    63mile week which is decent after a couple of days a bit coldy at start of the week.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    24+8 is a packed weekend!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Good stuff Stevie, are you doing Wokingham ?.....pleasingly my legs felt ok after 24 yday. Last weekend was 20+12. All good for marathon strength.
  • Blimey TR!!!
    Nice 13 SG too.

Just trying to work up the motivation to head out for ten or so later....
  • Perfect timing - 10.7M squeezed in before sunset, dry, in sunshine and a gentle breeze  :)

Can't imagine doing 2.4 miles further with the whole thing a minute a mile quicker next Sunday mind!!!!!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Better late than never Bus. A bit of mental investment and the power of a race number will sort you out for next Sunday.

Simon - i see that they guy who won chichester ran a pretty sharp 5k today.
  • Long run here today too - managed to time it to avoid the rain and it was actually quite pleasant, albeit a bit windy, the sun even came out! 15min WU, 3 x 20min progression, then 15min CD - didn't pay too much attention to the watch, and actually had one of the best runs for a while. Steps went 7:25/mi, 7:00/mi and then 6:30/mi. Effort levels for the 6:30 section were surprisingly low, so looking good, all in 12.8mi at 7:17/mi.